Jurassic World Sets Coming in 2015

Brick Fanatics was recently listening to the Empire Podcast when they discovered an interesting tidbit. Chris Pratt, who you should all know from his role as the voice of Emmet in The LEGO Movie and as Star Lord in Guardians of the Galaxy, let slip that he would be getting a third incarnation of himself as a LEGO minifigure in sets based on next year's Jurassic World, the next movie in the Jurassic Park franchise. It's great to see LEGO returning to the dinosaur sub-theme and picking up the JP license again (last seen in 2001!). I hope we get to see the sets themselves at Toy Fair next February!

View the full article

CALLED IT!

Err, at least maybe. I doubt Pratt would have messed up the brands (even if Kre-O figures kind of look like minifigures), but LEGO doesn't hold the license. Even if Kre-O's hold on the license does end this year, does that mean LEGO will definitely be able to snatch it up?

Also, does LEGO even go to actors themselves to approve their minifigures?

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

Ehhh I've got a bad feeling about this reboot...but the Lego sets will surely be fantastic. 

And I actually just realized that the Chris Pratt from The Lego Movie is the same Chris Pratt that plays Star-Lord...

from what i read, it's not really a reboot as much as it is a story that continues from the last one but also can be appreciated on its own.

it also seems to completely contradict the first movie, considering the premise i read said they have an actual working dinosaur theme park, which the first film posited was impossible because "chaos theory"

Ehhh I've got a bad feeling about this reboot...but the Lego sets will surely be fantastic. 

And I actually just realized that the Chris Pratt from The Lego Movie is the same Chris Pratt that plays Star-Lord...

from what i read, it's not really a reboot as much as it is a story that continues from the last one but also can be appreciated on its own.

it also seems to completely contradict the first movie, considering the premise i read said they have an actual working dinosaur theme park, which the first film posited was impossible because "chaos theory"

Everything happens because science...I guess...

Well, it's the Jurassic Park franchise. So that "working Dinosaur theme park" probably won't be working for too long.

• Upvote 2
BZPRPG

Well, it's a bit too late for them to suddenly make their dinosaurs realistic. They missed their chance in the second movie, then tried and failed miserably in the third. Speaking of realistic dinosaurs, anyone remember these? 

Spinosuras_atttack_(systerm).jpg

1370-1.jpg

A+ realism there.

• Upvote 3

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

Ugggghhhhhhhh

This is always a weird subject. Much like Alice in Wonderland, people forget that the whole thing is the author's [somewhat flawed] take on whatever branch of mathematics was in the news lately [Lewis Carroll's hatred of contemporary mathematics and calculus and Crichton's love of chaos theory respectively]. Like you say, JP's theme was Chaos theory [also from what I can take away, he also had a bone to pick with bio-engineering as well].

Regardless, Lost World was so off Crichton's mark that you can basically consider the philosophy of the books wholly separate from that of the books. And in the movies, I interpret CHAOS THEORY WoooOOOOooOOOO to be entirely Malcom's pet theory as to why things were going to go wrong and the TRUE ENEMY was greedy capitalism, living in the body of Newman.

The underlying tone of Lost World is similar. Cashing in on money is gonna get you in trouble and probably torn up by the children of tomorrow because I am Steven Spielberg and hey did you know I love overt symbolism and children? Also conservation and preservation of nature, somehow I guess? Maybe an ecosystem of genetic mutant monsters isn't the best vehicle for a greenpeace message.

JPIII beautifully exemplified the "make money off of the success of others" scheme by being one. Also Universal wanted to show audiences just how little they did to advance CG in the last 8 years.

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 3

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Well, it's a bit too late for them to suddenly make their dinosaurs realistic. They missed their chance in the second movie, then tried and failed miserably in the third.

Are you kidding? The premise of this movie was PERFECT for fixing their dinosaurs. On the ruins of Jurassic Park, they've built a new theme park, Jurassic World, bigger, badder, better, and in all of that, they somehow missed fixing the exhibits after 22 years of scientific advancement? I suppose it's more cost-effective to go with the existing dinosaurs than make new ones, but why wouldn't you go the whole hog with this kind of thing? At this point, insisting on the awful dinosaurs is pandering to audience nostalgia more than it is any sort of consistency.

@mak - i don't actually care much how well they inteperet Crichton's messages considering the guy was full of garbage anyway and seems to hate the idea of scientific progress.

• Upvote 1

@octodad you seem to be interpreting my post as support for Crichton. That is weird.

no actually i interpreted it the other way around -- i thought you interpreted my post as somehow caring how close the movies stick to the originals premise, when i was just pointing out a lack of thematic consistency, so i was trying to set the record straight

• Upvote 1

The book had a point with the inherent chaos and the inability for humans to control life. The Movie reduced it to Nedry ruining everything because he's a disgruntled worker. It would have worked if it wasn't for Nedry.

Time is my frenemy. So is money.
May the classics never die and may the future find a new set of Toa.

BZPRPG Character

The book had a point with the inherent chaos and the inability for humans to control life. The Movie reduced it to Nedry ruining everything because he's a disgruntled worker. It would have worked if it wasn't for Nedry.

I haven't read the book, so I wouldn't know. I just know that in the movie, pretty much anything to do with "chaos theory" is complete garbage and a misapplication of the term chaos theory. In fact, to my understanding, chaos theory means the complete opposite of what Crichton believed it to be; actual chaos theory says that the seemingly chaotic can be predicted. I'm not certain that's 100% accurate, but it certainly doesn't mean "a dinosaur theme park is destined to fail and science is evil. also thomas edison was a witch."

• Upvote 1

Crichton believed it to be; actual chaos theory says that the seemingly chaotic can be predicted. I'm not certain that's 100% accurate, but it certainly doesn't mean "a dinosaur theme park is destined to fail and science is evil. also thomas edison was a witch."

He did actually consider the "small implications fracture outward to cause larger events", but more in the sense of "this is an outlier adn should not be counted".

Regardless, I hope this movie is so up it's own script and taking itself seriously trying to adapt whatever human hubris cliche it tries to strap as the moral message.

And there's Chris Pratt. Just Pratting around like the lovable doof he is. Saving us from the presumed featherless monstrosities the audience will be subjected to.

• Upvote 3

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Pratt will definitely make the movie enjoyable to watch no matter how bad the script, he's a gift to mankind :P I, for one, and just excited for more dino themed sets. Does anyone remember that LEGO line about dinosaurs attacking cities or something? It was around a couple years ago. Ridiculous, but wild :P

Edited by Pomegranate

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Pratt will definitely make the movie enjoyable to watch no matter how bad the script, he's a gift to mankind :P I, for one, and just excited for more dino themed sets. Does anyone remember that LEGO line about dinosaurs attacking cities or something? It was around a couple years ago. Ridiculous, but wild :P

Yeah it was called dino attack, I remember wanting them after seeing the commercials on and I got the Tank/T-rex set when I was 6. For some reason in europe it was called dino 2010 and they modified the sets with traps instead of weopons. 

I'd be excited for more dino-themed sets if there was a chance of getting some actually accurate dinosaurs out of it for once. With JP-themed sets, that goes down the toilet.

• Upvote 1

Those last dino sets looked pretty good, Maybe they're reuse some molds for this theme.

They'd be perfect for this theme, considering they share all the same errors as the JP dinosaurs.

Exactly, I don't really like the 5-piece dinosaurs lego makes anyways. They're extremely easy to build and are unaccurate all the time. I'd rather they just make buildable dinosaurs out of bricks.

I'd be a lot more excited about this if I were actually excited for Jurassic World. As it is, between the BIONICLE rumors and the fact that they haven't managed a decent Jurassic Park movie for about twenty years, I've seen no reason to care about more dinosaur/crummy scripting shenanigans, LEGO tie-ins notwithstanding. 

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

The book really wasn't all that scientific in terms of chaos theory, either. Basically Malcolm had somehow made a mathematical model of the park that proved that it was intrinsically impossible. Whereas hardly anything would have even gone wrong if not for Nedry.

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

I haven't read the book, so I wouldn't know. I just know that in the movie, pretty much anything to do with "chaos theory" is complete garbage and a misapplication of the term chaos theory. In fact, to my understanding, chaos theory means the complete opposite of what Crichton believed it to be; actual chaos theory says that the seemingly chaotic can be predicted. I'm not certain that's 100% accurate, but it certainly doesn't mean "a dinosaur theme park is destined to fail and science is evil. also thomas edison was a witch."

He did mention in the book that what seems chaotic has tiny predictable aspects to it. But you're right, Crichton went nuts on the whole "dinosaur theme park destined to fail and science is evil" thing. He went really full tilt with that in the book speaking through Malcolm. It was nuts. He was a medical doctor too, so you know, he shoulda known better.

The book really wasn't all that scientific in terms of chaos theory, either. Basically Malcolm had somehow made a mathematical model of the park that proved that it was intrinsically impossible. Whereas hardly anything would have even gone wrong if not for Nedry.

well, to be honest, before Nedry, there was already the issue of the dinosaurs breeding and the system being geared towards only checking against a maximum, so there was that in the book.

Time is my frenemy. So is money.
May the classics never die and may the future find a new set of Toa.

BZPRPG Character

Has anyone considered that this theme could arrive alongside sets representing the earlier Jurassic Park films, like what happened in the first years of the Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Toy Story sets? Food for thought for fans of the original movie who dislike the direction the sequels took.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Bionicle 2015 is more important than Jurassic World Sets in my opinion

Don't see how that's relevant? Unless you think BZP should stop reporting general Lego news just because Bionicle's coming back.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Has anyone considered that this theme could arrive alongside sets representing the earlier Jurassic Park films, like what happened in the first years of the Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Toy Story sets? Food for thought for fans of the original movie who dislike the direction the sequels took.

Good news for those kinds of people, bad news for people who have hated the awful series since its inception

• Upvote 1

Bionicle 2015 is more important than Jurassic World Sets in my opinion

Don't see how that's relevant? Unless you think BZP should stop reporting general Lego news just because Bionicle's coming back.

It's relevent because this is a Bionicle forum, not a Jurassic World Sets forum!