What kind of Bionicle story return do you want?

Multiple options poll for a Bionicle return storyline  

158 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, we have a poll roughly on this subject, but it only gives two options and the meanings of them are somewhat unclear (and from the replies it's clear different people are defining the terms there in different ways). There's also related questions I was curious about, so I decided to go ahead and make this poll, with many more options, trying to define the options clearly. Major options I've seen in the posts from that poll and other topics are included, but I probably missed some (use the other/unsure options for those and explain, please! =) ).

If you're leaning multiple ways, just pick the one that seems best to you, and explain. :)

• Upvote 3

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Start over with 2001 story, or at least something similar to it.

Don't bother finishing them.

A new one. Let's face it; the giant robot thing was kinda nuts. Something different is needed.

By the way, nice to see you're still here, Bones.

*EDIT* Color tags won't work for some reason.

Edited by Vega Magnus

I voted "Other", "Don't bother finishing them", and "A new one; let Lego surprise me". I chose other for the first question because I don't have specific desires for a new story start other than "New start anywhere"; as long as we don't pick up on Spherus Magna I think I'll mostly be happy.

~B~

• Upvote 1

I was a bit double minded on one or two choices,

I decided on "New Story on SM, after a short time"

"Finish them as a side project"

for the last one I could not decide between "Giant Robot" or "Something completely new, suprise me Lego"

Flipped a coin and went with "Giant Robot"

"In this new- Wait, why am I being quoted?!"

-Kovika, Toa of Ice, Bread Enthusiast, and Ko-Metru Scholar.

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

New on Spherus Magna after long or short time ( I voted long because it seemed more realistic)

Finish them as a side project or in the main story. (I voted side project for the reason given above)

Definitely something new and surprising. Did NOT vote this one because it was the most realistic.

Want to solve an exciting murder mystery? Try Murder Mansion II, a new game in Games and Trivia! 8 Spots remaining!

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/19274-murder-mansion/?do=findComment&comment=964351

The second two questions are fairly self-explanatory, but for the first one, I said "new story on SM, short time later." It was a toss-up between that, and the same thing, but long time, mostly because I'm debating what constitutes a "long/short time." Are we talking long to us, or long to them? Like 100 years or 100,000 years? If we're talking short in terms of the official timeline, then I'd be okay with anything from 50 to 20,000 years later.

signoffffff.png

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Are we talking long to us, or long to them?

I was personally thinking more in terms of long meaning "well after the events of the unfinished serials are tied up" and short meaning before that, rather than any particular definition of the amount of time involved. So, long would be when the new Spherus Magna is fully established, the giant robot dismantled and the materials used for whatever they'll use them for, etc.

Let's face it; the giant robot thing was kinda nuts.

Really, lol? I've generally seen widespread love for it on here. Of course, tastes differ, but no, I don't think I could agree with that in any objective sense. And without it, we wouldn't have really had Bionicle as we know it, even though we didn't understand its influence until 2008. Unless you mean in the good sense -- crazy cool! :P But to each their own...

Anyways, like or dislike of the giant robot isn't necessary to answering if you want something else; for me, the fact that I loved it so much is part of why I voted for something else (surprise me) -- because I wouldn't want it to be overused or rehashed.

Edit: I might as well say my other votes -- new story on Spherus Magna, long time, and finish serials as side project, not in main story (since new fans won't understand them enough, at least not right away).

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I voted: New story on SM after a long time, Finish the serials as a side project, and a new one (I don't believe using another Giant Robot would be amazing as the first one).

BTW, I wonder why so many people don't want the serials to be finished. I mean, there are still a lot of things left to do in SM, like finding the Great Beings, (maybe) find a way to transport the people of the Red Star back to SM, and Lewa and cia status.

BTW, I wonder why so many people don't want the serials to be finished.

Maybe concern over how difficult it would be to review everything to avoid contradictions and make them good stories too? That would detract from time/focus spent on main new story. I could understand that, although I still voted for side project. And I have no doubt LEGO would prioritize so that the serials would only be continued when enough work is done on the main story.

1. I chose other because I didn't think any of the options were what I would want if Bionicle returns. I would want a brand new story, completely separate from the original storyline. I wouldn't mind it having from the original in it, but I don't want it to have the same story.

2. Don't bother with them. I think the story team should focus solely on the new story and not worry about what was unfinished in the serials. And besides, I look at the cliffhangers in them as jumping off points for those who write stort stories and epics here. :)

3. A new one; let Lego surprise us. Because I would want to be surprised by it. :P

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

The option " New story on Spherus Magna, after a long time" lets a fresh start in the same Universe/Dimension but without some elements that maybe can be boring / extra complicated like MU/SM political relationships.

Velika is Love. Velika is Life. Velika did NOTHING wrong.

Proud fan of Rebecca Black, BabyMetal and Protector Of Fire's Son.

I honestly feel like a reboot would be most fitting, for even if you still set the story way into the future, you still have an odd mess of species and ideas. Starting at 2001 feels the best, though there's some interesting opportunity for starting earlier. Barnicles in space anyone?  :P

The serials should at least be finished on their own time. It wouldn't be such a big deal if they weren't, but it's always bloody awful when a story is left unfinished. Anyway, if it's a reboot people would be too focused on the newer story to care for the old one. If it's a continuation, best either finish them, or tie them up.

I kinda feel like I want something new, fresh. The giant robot story can stay but I've been told that story over and over again. It would be like reading "The Ginger-Bread Man" several times, each time from a different author if they use the same plot drive. It'd basically be reading the same story with different words if they didn't shake things up a bit. Though it hasn't been unheard of LEGO re-using practically the exact same material...

I'd like to see a reboot where they take different twists and turns and some fresh mythology. I'd love to see the implementation of three-finger island (an idea that was sadly abandoned), which was sorted adopted into the BZRPG as the Kentoku Archipelago from what I've read... But yeah, I don't want the EXACT same thing as the original series if we get a reboot.

As for continuation, it has a lot of potential too, I guess, but it would be very mixed up with a lot of characters to worry about, and using new characters to replace more familiar faces will just cause a loss of interest from a bunch of old timers who loved the originals.

• Upvote 1

1. A new story on Spherus Magna, shortly after, but not immediately after, the 2010/2011 story. Greg has thought ahead and started up a number of possibilities for fresh new stories that don't have to be connected to the past.

2. Definitely finish the serials for the older fans. Possibly do what was done with Empire Of The Skrall/The Legend Reborn regarding Tuma's injury and maybe link the serials' events to the new story's situation.

3. As a continuation, so much could work regarding villains. The Shadowed One... the gold-skinned being... or someone brand new.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Really, lol? I've generally seen widespread love for it on here. Of course, tastes differ, but no, I don't think I could agree with that in any objective sense. And without it, we wouldn't have really had Bionicle as we know it, even though we didn't understand its influence until 2008. Unless you mean in the good sense -- crazy cool! :P But to each their own...

Anyways, like or dislike of the giant robot isn't necessary to answering if you want something else; for me, the fact that I loved it so much is part of why I voted for something else (surprise me) -- because I wouldn't want it to be overused or rehashed.

I honestly can't really say what my opinion on anything after the middle of '07 or so is because I more or less stopped following the story then. In any case, I agree that it would be better to try something else so that we don't know how everything will turn out beforehand.

Now that I voted, I really think that there is one thing that can really drive the plot, although I voted let Lego surprise me.

Velika's (not so)hidden agenda of trying to interfere in MU affairs.

That whole idea of Takanuva destined to be the driving force in a Great Being Civil War resulting from that... Wow.

Also, I hope Spherus Magna is more thoroughly explored.

I wouldn't mind a prequel, quite honestly. There was so much unexplored lore from the earlier years that never got fully touched on. Or alternatively, a reboot from the 2001 story that didn't include the insanity that was the Mata Nui robot.

BZPRPG Profiles

IC:

"It comes with the job," Halfimus explained, "I'm not paid enough to give anything outside quick flavour descriptions."

So pay me more AuRon.

I wouldn't mind a prequel, quite honestly. There was so much unexplored lore from the earlier years that never got fully touched on. Or alternatively, a reboot from the 2001 story that didn't include the insanity that was the Mata Nui robot.

Yeah I wouldn't mind a prequel focusing on the league of six kingdoms or maybe lihkans or lessovikk's toa teams

What form would you want the story to take it Bionicle returns?

I would definitely choose a New story on Spherus Magna, after a long time. There’s so much already in the Bionicle lore that doing a hard reboot by retconning things seems a total waste of golden material to work with. As for a  soft reboot, like “same universe, different time/place/characters” seems like the best choice. It will be a fresh change, but still have links for old fans to latch on to.

Some characters, like the Bionicle Poster-Boys Tahu and Takanuva, may need to still be around, or at least, well accounted for. We want to know where all our beloved characters are and why some may be missing. 

What about the unfinished serials?

I would finish them, but keep them IN the main story. Old fans want to know what happened, and deserve to know, I feel. Just tying up loose ends like that with no benefit or effect on the new story doesn’t make sense, since all Lego would get is gratifying old fans. It makes much more sense to instead gratify old fans, and have the serials link in different ways to the new story, killing two Gukko with one stone.

What do you want to be the core driving force of a return’s plot?

Perhaps I should have voted “let LEGO surprise me”, but I didn’t because I feel it is important for LEGO to explore some of the unanswered areas they have hinted at and set up. Very broad things, like the wider Galactic Universe (the worlds Mata Nui explored), the Solis Magna system, and more of the Great Being’s place in it. I’m not saying they should answer the questions, but expand on them. Take Halo for example. The Forerunners made the Halos and their technology is all over the plot, but the Forerunners themselves remained in mystery in the games, really until Halo 4 where they were expanded on through the Librarian, Didact, and Prometheans.

Basically, since I think they should stick to the same universe, I think they have a prefect selection of general things to explore. As for the particular stories that move into those areas, I’m happy for LEGO to surprise me

Edited by NuvaTube
  • Upvote 1

New story on Spherus Magna, after a long time

Finish them as a side project (keep them out of the main story)

A new one; let LEGO surprise me

I'd like a new story that doesn't completely disregard the past canon but doesn't rely on it. I'd like to see a conclusion to TYQ and TPtB. As for the story core, I don't think the MU robot has much more to offer so I'd like something new, but I don't really have any suggestions.

• Upvote 1

You know, I'd actually be super on-board with going into space after maybe a few years of establishing and re-establishing characters on Spherus Magna (assuming it's a continuation at least) .

That could be...interesting. However, I think it would be a long time before that happened, since there is so much to explore on Spherus Magna.

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

I'd like the story to be in a completely new setting, doesn't even have to be Spherus Magna. Still, I know this won't actually be the case since the Toa Nuva will most likely be sets in 2015. An entirely new setting and premise would help solve the problem that Bionicle had with its utterly confusing story which it developed at the end. Lego should also use a new secret to reveal at the end, since the giant robot thing already did its task and would not work a second time.

As for the serials, I don't care what happens with them. Let them remain unfinished, they weren't that good or interesting anyhow, and only introduced more and more plot holes.

Oh good, all my prefered choices are winning :P

I'd also make a point of keeping the story's plot very simple, but the world-building very detailed. It was a detailed setting that I beleive got Bionicle off the ground, yet in its later years the complexity leaked through into the plot. Even back in the day I struggled to tell my Nektanns from my Nocturns and my Helryxs from my Miserixs, and that was with browsing S&T everyday!

Eh, I feel like people exaggerate a bit. Yes, the BIONICLE storyline got ridiculously complex, but with a little patience and some research a person should be able to get a grasp on a good deal of it.

Or maybe I'm just a BIONICLE story nut :P

• Upvote 4

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

New story set on Spherus Magna after a long time (that way old characters can come back and old plot points can be picked up and resolved, if necessary), finish the serials as a side project (mostly because only we older fans even care about them, so they shouldn't be a top priority for LEGO but should still be finished anyway), and a new one; let LEGO surprise me (not sure how well the whole "Mata Nui is a giant robot" twist could work again).

-TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

Eh, I feel like people exaggerate a bit. Yes, the BIONICLE storyline got ridiculously complex, but with a little patience and some research a person should be able to get a grasp on a good deal of it.

Or maybe I'm just a BIONICLE story nut :P

It seems like we're outcasts. XD

Quite frankly you're probably just smarter than people like me :P

Though, I'd like to think that if I was having trouble as a teenager, then even the smartest of the younger kids in the target audience would have struggled to keep up. I've even heard it said that the convoluted story was a factor in Bionicle's cancellation. If that's true, then Lego will not want to make the same 'mistake'.

I voted with the majority in each case it seems. :P I want to story on Spherus Magna as a link to the rest of the story, but would like the focus of the story to be on something fresh and exciting. As for the serials I think finishing them as a side project would please people the most. :)

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

I want a total reboot. If they could do it in no relation to the main story. Maybe keep some character names, but I wouldn't have a problem if they were technically different characters. Think like Iron Man in the comics and Iron Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Both still Iron Man, but both different characters. I wouldn't mind a new location (heck, maybe even a different feeling world altogether). The only thing I really need to have an interest in a new BIONICLE is a somewhat complex story that takes itself seriously.

I wouldn't mind the serials being finished up, but I don't need it.

Totally new surprise plot device would be awesome. Giant robot has already been done, and there's nothing I'm hoping for - where would the fun be if I already knew the mega-plot twist?

If it wasn't a reboot, I'd want it set so far in the future that all the current characters are dead. That's right. All of them. I don't want a single one of them. They only have legends about Tahu or Mata Nui and the like. Technology could advance to a point where inter-planetary travel is now a norm, or there could be some apocalypse where only a small band of people try to survive in a wasteland, but think of the potential for a lot of mystery either way, making connections with past events, events from the past we may not even know about.

I dunno. Whatever goes goes. No matter what they do, as long as it meets the requirements I listed above, I'll be happy with it.

I think finishing the serials should definitely be a part of the main story.

Seriously, bro, how was that not an option?

If it wasn't a reboot, I'd want it set so far in the future that all the current characters are dead. That's right. All of them. I don't want a single one of them. They only have legends about Tahu or Mata Nui and the like. Technology could advance to a point where inter-planetary travel is now a norm, or there could be some apocalypse where only a small band of people try to survive in a wasteland, but think of the potential for a lot of mystery either way, making connections with past events, events from the past we may not even know about.

dude

there should be something about the makuta's brainwaves/software/whatevercraphaveyou taking a new, deadly form, and it having to be stopped, regardless of the cost

reboot's cool too though if reboot make tri-elemental masters of storm (electricity+ice+air), earth (earth+stone+metal), energy (fire+light+sound), environment (plantlife+water+psionics), force (magnetism+gravity+plasma), and void (shadow)

I would like to start off with a Spherus Magna, I wonder what if the Toa and Glatorian either got along well or went to war.

glatorian lose war within 30 mins.

Edited by MyOwnCreator

I think finishing the serials should definitely be a part of the main story.

Seriously, bro, how was that not an option?

?? If you mean that option #3 in that question doesn't mean what you have in mind, I don't know what you could mean. Either you finish the serials or you don't, and if you don't, then either you deal with their loose ends or you don't. If you do finish the serials as they are, it won't be main story, as far as I can figure. Serials were never main story; that was comics, movies, books, etc.

But if you do disagree, all other possibilities are covered under "Other/unsure (explain)". :)

• Upvote 1

I am honestly really torn between a 2001-esque reboot and a continuation on Sphereus Magna. If done well, a 2001 reboot would evoke so much nostalgia. It would be interesting to see a new take on familiar characters in a hopefully similar environment. If they continued to keep familiar characters, I would very much enjoy seeing new bohrok and rahkshi renditions, as well as a focus on lots of Rahi. The mystery and tribal feel of 2001 would be an awesome thing to have again. I would definitely like to see the return of the Turaga as well. 

I would also like to see how the story continued on Sphereus Magna. It wouldn't really matter to me if it was set shortly after or long after the events we left off with. I would really enjoy seeing the Toa Mata/Nuva reunite to confront the Element Lords and find the great beings (maybe off planet?). I would also like to see new renditions of the Toa Mahri. With a continuation, I would like to see a lot of 2001-04 influence on Spherues Magna. Having a whole planet really opens up possibilities for cool locations. A Metru Nui like capital would be cool to see on Sphereus Magna as well as smaller Koro throughout the planet. 

Either thing that happens, I would very much like to see the return of serious collectibles like the Kanohi, if not Kanohi themselves. That's really the biggest thing for me.

As far as the serials go, I would like to just see them finished, without really being a part of the main story. They don't really matter too much to me, other than whatever is going on in the red star. They can use this chance to bring back old characters into the new line, but I would much rather happen to the red star where all those deaths were not cheapened. 

I want Lego to surprise me with the plot. As long as it is well done and well thought out!

Edited by Scather
  • Upvote 1

I picked other for the 1st q, heres why... 

-There should be a brand new story with the same characters we know and love(or hate). 

-New world, whatever they can whip up that is good. 

(most important)-- NO PAST!!! Clean slat, start over, Lego! Even though Bionicle was ended back in 2010 to our disappointment, its nice to know what we DID get- A great story. But now with the 'simplified' themes like Hf and chima, the old story wouldn't be worth screwing up with simplicity. its a new generation, new ideas. If bionicle comes out in 2015 and is terrible but is a CLEAN SLAT we could just pretend its just, well, non-existent, and just remember the old BIONICLE. It won't be the revival or anything that will make the theme any better except the OLD BIONICLE- the one we love. 

Just think about that before you get Toa Factory of Heronicle. 

• 1 month later...

1. New story on SM shortly after 2010/2011 (nice way to set up new concepts while still having some continuity for us old timer fans)

2. Finish the serials as a side project (sorry, I really need closure on those)

3. A new one; let Lego surprise me (I'm about open to anything at this point)