Opinions on the BZP leaked content policy.

For those who haven't read it, here it is: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/29-bzpower-leaked-content-policy/

So there's been a bit of a discussion about the Leaked content policy in the Bionicle 2015 thread in Bionicle discussion (Here: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/12947-rumor-bionicles-return-in-2015/page-45) and wether it should still be in effect. I'm curious as to what others' thoughts on it are and I think it could use it's own topic.

Personally I think the rule against discussion should be lifted. The rule against images I'm more or less okay with, as it doesn't really hinder conversation (And if it gets to the point of having a large conversation any leaked pictures would be easy to google anyway) .

I realize that one of the main reasons BZP does it is in accordance with Lego's policy, but the other reasons listed in the policy (Competitors having access and people making premature judgments) I don't really agree with. Any competitor who really wants to steal Lego's ideas is just going to find information about the leaks elsewhere, a single site refraining from posting the pictures or discussing them won't have any effect on that.

As for people making unfair judgments on unfinished sets, I'd like to think that most people who are devoted enough to keep up with leaks also know to take them with a grain of salt when it comes to set design, not to mention that leaks are often very blurry, so even then it would be hard to make a judgment on anything. And again, if people want to see the leaks and make unfair judgments, they'll just find it elsewhere.

• Upvote 3
andromeda_m31_slideshow.jpg

I think it works in a similar way to the spoiler rule; some people come on BZP not wanting to be spoiled. I mean, what if the leaks are legit?

• Upvote 3

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I think due to the site's ties with LEGO until they give the greenlight to talk about it we're not meant to give the greenlight to talk about it officially. I'd rather keep our ties with TLC good than talk about stuff slightly earlier than we would otherwise. I may be wrong though/oversimplifying it. :P

Edited by Adventurer
  • Upvote 5
photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

I see why if it is coming out the need to be close lipped about it. I can see both side of the issue honestly but I side with having good ties and good relations with Lego than to please members who can wait a little longer. Bzp has been well treated by Lego and I would not want to see this so called leak to ruin it. Those are just my thoughts about it honestly.

• Upvote 3

Believe me when I say the staff understands the frustration, and honestly, I think a lot of us would like to discuss possible leaks openly, even if we don't allow posting of images.

But the fact is that LEGO has made it clear that they are strongly against posting leaked images or dissemination of info from said images.  We even reached out to LEGO for clarification recently and they reiterated this policy. (Note: this is a general policy of theirs, not in response to these particular leaks. Please don't take this out of context as "LEGO's shutting down discussion of these particular leaks, Bionicle 2015 confirmed.") 

Ultimately, it's up to individual sites to follow the rules, and not all do.  Makaru put it best:

I aired my grievances about the policy with administration. Because I agree that not even addressing leaks hinders discussion and interest. Fact of the matter is how BZP does its leak policy is not only how Lego wants us to do it, but also how Lego wants every site to do it.

And unfortunately we as a community get hurt when we play by the rules and other sites skirt by it passively.

• Upvote 6

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

If Eurobricks can discuss the leaks, why can't BZPower?

"If everyone at Eurobricks jumped off a bridge, would you?" :P

If you want to discuss the leaks at Eurobricks, nobody is stopping you. Here on BZP there is a standard and a set of rules; I don't see any reason for the leak policy to be lifted. Eventually the pictures and info will be confirmed or released officially, and you can talk about them then, when everyone sees and knows about them and there is more public info about it, instead of speculating and making judgements only based on what you see and rumors you've heard with a smaller group of people. I think discussing leaks would only be a temporary solution to "we have nothing to discuss" cause if you've already discussed them, when they're made official and okay to talk about it you'll be havin redundant conversations with new people and feel like there nothing new to discuss.

Please be patient, and considerate of others. Nobody is forcing you to limit yourself to BZPower, I myself talk about the leaks on like, tumblr, where I'm not limited by other BZP rules anyways.

The Internet is bigger than this forum, let this forum be. Just cause someone else is doing it doesn't mean everyone should. Besides, I thought we were the cool kids in this equation? They should be trying to imitate us :P

And seriously, there are people who hate spoilers of any kind. I sometimes avoid trailers for movies I wanna see cause I want to go in knowing literally nothing about what to expec and get completely blown away by the new experience :)

Also, LEGO seems pretty adamant in keeping everything under wraps despite basically everyone figuring it out, so there's a chance they want to so a spectacular reveal sometime in the future and lifting the leak policy would mean a lot more folks, at least here on BZP, would be as impressed or excited by it as they would be if they didn't know anything about the new content.

If anything, there should be a single official thread for it, with a big red spoiler warning at the top. It's not like leak discussion would take up more than one topic since its all "ooh" and "aah" and speculation.

Edited by Pomegranate
  • Upvote 3

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

The Internet is bigger than this forum, let this forum be. Just cause someone else is doing it doesn't mean everyone should. Besides, I thought we were the cool kids in this equation? They should be trying to imitate us :P

lol

I mean, what if the leaks are legit?

So if I tell you that they are, does that make you not want to see them?

• Upvote 3

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

lol

Y'all know I'm joking :P

If the leaks are legit they're more likely to try to avoid them because spoilers, rather than if the leaks were confirmed fakes which only attract curiosity

If you want to discuss the leaks at Eurobricks, nobody is stopping you. Here on BZP there is a standard and a set of rules; I don't see any reason for the leak policy to be lifted. Eventually the pictures and info will be confirmed or released officially, and you can talk about them then, when everyone sees and knows about them and there is more public info about it, instead of speculating and making judgements only based on what you see and rumors you've heard with a smaller group of people. I think discussing leaks would only be a temporary solution to "we have nothing to discuss" cause if you've already discussed them, when they're made official and okay to talk about it you'll be havin redundant conversations with new people and feel like there nothing new to discuss.

Please be patient, and considerate of others. Nobody is forcing you to limit yourself to BZPower, I myself talk about the leaks on like, tumblr, where I'm not limited by other BZP rules anyways.

And seriously, there are people who hate spoilers of any kind. I sometimes avoid trailers for movies I wanna see cause I want to go in knowing literally nothing about what to expec and get completely blown away by the new experience :)

Also, LEGO seems pretty adamant in keeping everything under wraps despite basically everyone figuring it out, so there's a chance they want to so a spectacular reveal sometime in the future and lifting the leak policy would mean a lot more folks, at least here on BZP, would be as impressed or excited by it as they would be if they didn't know anything about the new content.

If anything, there should be a single official thread for it, with a big red spoiler warning at the top. It's not like leak discussion would take up more than one topic since its all "ooh" and "aah" and speculation.

I understand about being able to discuss them there and all, and I wasn't really complaining. What I meant was, why does Lego enforce their policy more strictly here then there?

"I pitea the fool!"

(quote by Chro)

98.7% OF BZPOWER MEMBERS HAVEN'T SEEN MY BUCKET 

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE 1.3% THAT HAS SEEN MY BUCKET, COPY THIS AND PASTE IT INTO YOUR SIGNATURE

I MISS MY BUCKET 

I understand about being able to discuss them there and all, and I wasn't really complaining. What I meant was, why does Lego enforce their policy more strictly here then there?

My understanding of the matter is that one of the people at LEGO whose job it is to report when fan communities are acting poorly was a member of eurobricks. not sure on all the details, though.

Also I just wanted to put it out there that the fact of the matter is: Leaks are basically secrets, they were confidential information, LEGO's private property. Nobody has the right to feel entitled to discuss information they were never meant to know in the first place, especially after it was pretty much stolen and posted without permission.

You're basically gossiping about LEGO's multimillion dollar diary, which some nerd leaked to the whole world. It's not cool.

Edited by Pomegranate
  • Upvote 1

For those who haven't read it, here it is: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/29-bzpower-leaked-content-policy/

So there's been a bit of a discussion about the Leaked content policy in the Bionicle 2015 thread in Bionicle discussion (Here: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/12947-rumor-bionicles-return-in-2015/page-45) and wether it should still be in effect. I'm curious as to what others' thoughts on it are and I think it could use it's own topic.

Personally I think the rule against discussion should be lifted. The rule against images I'm more or less okay with, as it doesn't really hinder conversation (And if it gets to the point of having a large conversation any leaked pictures would be easy to google anyway) .

I realize that one of the main reasons BZP does it is in accordance with Lego's policy, but the other reasons listed in the policy (Competitors having access and people making premature judgments) I don't really agree with. Any competitor who really wants to steal Lego's ideas is just going to find information about the leaks elsewhere, a single site refraining from posting the pictures or discussing them won't have any effect on that.

As for people making unfair judgments on unfinished sets, I'd like to think that most people who are devoted enough to keep up with leaks also know to take them with a grain of salt when it comes to set design, not to mention that leaks are often very blurry, so even then it would be hard to make a judgment on anything. And again, if people want to see the leaks and make unfair judgments, they'll just find it elsewhere.

I think it works like this - they make the rules, we follow them.

The end.

I don't quite understand this topic - surely everyone realises that nobody likes the policy, and yet it's not going to change. For as long as I can remember it's been like this, and quite frankly it doesn't matter. If you want to discuss it, go elsewhere :).

I don't like it either, but sitting here whining about it won't change anything. And as much as anyone thinks that if we all complain BZPower staff will change it, that's not going to happen. As a fan site for LEGO, if LEGO set a rule and BZPower say no to it, the admins could get in deep - yeah. That's if LEGO decide it is a problem, but the risk isn't worth taking. 

• Upvote 2

~ Argentum

The policy should totally go away because having integrity isn't cool anymore.

(Except it's not and everyone should have it.)

Really, if you don't like it, just stop complaining and take that one bit of discussion elsewhere on the Internet where they don't care.  I'm still for the blocking of actual content, but do agree that even not being allowed to acknowledge their existence is too strong of a stance. Unfortunately, abiding by that policy in all regards is simply how things are done here. Here. Alone. And that's okay.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

The policy is frustrating, and an obstacle to meaningful discussion in some cases. It pushes discussion not only to other forums, but also away from moderated forums in general and onto social media, where it's easier for misinformation to spread. YouTube, I'm looking at you (I'm appalled that some people so often refer to things like TTV as if they're a reliable news source and not just a source for opinion, speculation, and commentary).

But it's the LEGO Group's decision and not BZPower's, so there's not much chance of changing it unless the LEGO Group decides to change their tune and treat this site more like they treat other sites. I'm not under the illusion we'll EVER get as much leeway as Eurobricks currently does — if anything, the LEGO Group will put greater restrictions on discussion at Eurobricks — but it's irritating when even the official LEGO Message Boards get more freedom to discuss rumors and leaks than we do.

I fully respect the LEGO Group's desire to keep leaks and rumors under wraps. They put a lot of money, time, and planning into their announcements and promotional campaigns, and they don't want that money to be wasted when the official teasers and announcements are preempted by leaks of low-quality photos, badly translated set names, and other information not intended for public consumption. It is generally not their fault when this kind of information gets leaked, because they have to release info to retailers and business partners ahead of time and can't maintain the same level of control over outside entities as they do over their own employees (things like the "coming soon" page which was accidentally released early are the exception, not the rule).

Information is a difficult resource to control. However, the fact that BZPower is held to a far higher standard than other major LEGO sites is confusing and frustrating. Especially when it results in spam, thinly-veiled references to leaked material on other sites, and general misinformation.

• Upvote 8

I as an individual am a spoiler addict, but people who avoid spoilers don't want to take that risk. They may not want to see the leaked images in case they turn out to be legit.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I as an individual am a spoiler addict, but people who avoid spoilers don't want to take that risk. They may not want to see the leaked images in case they turn out to be legit.

If Lego hypothetically stopped enforcing their policy on leaks on BZP (which I doubt they will), it'd be quite simple to update the policy so that leaked pics and info would have to go in spoiler tags.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I think its whatever keeps BZPower in good standing with Lego. We may be facing one of the few things that can bring people to this site, so its tough, and exciting. So as long as we aren't posting I think its fine. In the end we'll all pretty much create many different explanations with they way the story will go.

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I don't quite understand this topic - surely everyone realises that nobody likes the policy, and yet it's not going to change. For as long as I can remember it's been like this, and quite frankly it doesn't matter. If you want to discuss it, go elsewhere :).

I don't like it either, but sitting here whining about it won't change anything. And as much as anyone thinks that if we all complain BZPower staff will change it, that's not going to happen. As a fan site for LEGO, if LEGO set a rule and BZPower say no to it, the admins could get in deep - yeah. That's if LEGO decide it is a problem, but the risk isn't worth taking. 

I'd really question the whole 'Lego set the rule, not BZPower' stance. Lego does not and should not set the rules on what discussion takes place in spaces that do not belong to them, it's the staff's choice.

I'd say that as a community, we should decide on the policy. I know this isn't a democracy (and we owe so much to our friendly neighbourhood admins), but perhaps it should be. It would be an interesting experiment for there to be, say, a big poll to decide whether we want the policy. I can't recall any other online spaces implementing such a system, so the results would be intriguing. Perhaps it would be something to consider when BZPower grows a bit following Bionicle's likely return? I'd say this is more relevant now BZPower is partly crowd-funded.

What BZPower thinks about the policy is an important matter, and one that I reckon deserves a bit more than to be written off as whining. Anyway, back to Eurobricks I go. :P

• Upvote 1

I'd really question the whole 'Lego set the rule, not BZPower' stance. Lego does not and should not set the rules on what discussion takes place in spaces that do not belong to them, it's the staff's choice.

I'd say that as a community, we should decide on the policy. I know this isn't a democracy (and we owe so much to our friendly neighbourhood admins), but perhaps it should be. It would be an interesting experiment for there to be, say, a big poll to decide whether we want the policy. I can't recall any other online spaces implementing such a system, so the results would be intriguing. Perhaps it would be something to consider when BZPower grows a bit following Bionicle's likely return? I'd say this is more relevant now BZPower is partly crowd-funded.

What BZPower thinks about the policy is an important matter, and one that I reckon deserves a bit more than to be written off as whining. Anyway, back to Eurobricks I go. :P

Well, if BZPower were to change the rule, they might very well lose all the official support they get from Lego. That means no more free sets for raffles, reviews, or contest prizes, and no more exclusive interviews. So unless you have an idea of how to raise enough funds to make up for all the support the site would lose, I would think long and hard about whether you REALLY want BZPower to ignore Lego's requests.

• Upvote 5

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

as a fan and junk, part of me does wish it wasn't as constrictive as it is since like... talking about stuff is fun 'n all

but, the reason behind it is Lego informed BZPower of their leaked content policy (like, don't spread it and so forth) and BZP's just complying with Lego's wishes... and it is Lego's content, so ultimately they have the right to give or rescind permission to distribute it (and i figure going against their wishes wouldn't elevate BZP in the company's eyes). 

either way, there's other places to chat about it so it's not a horrible hindrance. 

• Upvote 3

There is the business factor. The leak could affect profits from sales in that other companies can make similar looking products or bootlegs. 

However I do not understand why we have to comply with LEGO's wishes because BZP is not owned or operated by them. I also do not understand how LEGO "treats" BZP. Do they favour us or something?

AΨ 94

I don't think it's fair that BZP plays by the rules and other sites *cougheurobrickscough* don't, and yet LEGO has never seemed to disown the proverbial Other Sites for flagrantly ignoring their policy. In reality, LEGO doesn't care if sites abide by their policy or not.

Saying this makes me sound like an elitist, I know, but I'm glad we stick by LEGO's wishes because that proves that we actually have some integrity in this matter. I agree that it's frustrating that we're the only ones playing by the rules and we're not actually getting anything more than the sites that skirt them, but what should we do?

Certainly there is a middle ground here that is perfectly reasonable. I would argue that the policy should allow for discussion of leaks but retain bans on links and images. I see no harm that can be found in mere discussion - in fact, I would welcome the legalized discussion because it would increase activity rather than curtail it.

• Upvote 5

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

There is the business factor. The leak could affect profits from sales in that other companies can make similar looking products or bootlegs. 

However I do not understand why we have to comply with LEGO's wishes because BZP is not owned or operated by them. I also do not understand how LEGO "treats" BZP. Do they favour us or something?

They keep us in mind when it's time to give out exclusive or new information, and supply us with the sets you win in raffles and contests and such, just for starters.

I remember that BZP was the first thing/place/people that was told about Bionicle's cancellation, as they knew the importance of this forum in the Bionicle fan community and its popularity, and because of the past cooperation between the two. After all, we used to have Greg F here answering questions and interacting with the fans directly for many years, and last I checked, he's an employee, among other members who I unfortunately can't remember the names of 'cause I'm so terrible with names of any kind (someone please explain on my behalf :P)

Edited by Pomegranate
  • Upvote 3

I don't think it's fair that BZP plays by the rules and other sites *cougheurobrickscough* don't, and yet LEGO has never seemed to disown the proverbial Other Sites for flagrantly ignoring their policy. In reality, LEGO doesn't care if sites abide by their policy or not.

Saying this makes me sound like an elitist, I know, but I'm glad we stick by LEGO's wishes because that proves that we actually have some integrity in this matter. I agree that it's frustrating that we're the only ones playing by the rules and we're not actually getting anything more than the sites that skirt them, but what should we do?

Certainly there is a middle ground here that is perfectly reasonable. I would argue that the policy should allow for discussion of leaks but retain bans on links and images. I see no harm that can be found in mere discussion - in fact, I would welcome the legalized discussion because it would increase activity rather than curtail it.

That'd be easy to abuse; that rule permits me to give the most detailed description of the leaked images possible (so accurate one could build a mockup of the sets in question) without breaking a single rule, thus giving out the information Lego doesn't want leaked anyway. Plus, one of the big parts of the leak initially was the return of a beloved line, which discussing the leak would make obvious.

If you want to discuss the leaks at Eurobricks, nobody is stopping you. Here on BZP there is a standard and a set of rules; I don't see any reason for the leak policy to be lifted.

This is kind of the classic "vote with your feet" issue.  Using Eurobricks/Tumblr/Pinterest/whatever instead of BZP is pretty much the clearest and easiest way to get what you want.  Eschewing BZP in favor of other sites has two effects:  allowing you to have the leaked content discussions you want, and indicating to BZP that people are willing to leave out of frustration with the leak policy.  If enough people dislike the current policy, and if enough of them leave, then there is an actual reason for the leak policy to be lifted (i.e., an attempt to gain or regain traffic from those looking to discuss leaks).  It's not a guarantee that something will change on BZP, but at least you will get to discuss leaks on your new favorite site.

- BioGio

Edited by BioGio

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

Compared to those sites, in the past at least, it always seems like BZPower has gotten somewhat special treatment, more collaborations and contact from TLC, at least with respect to Bionicle specifically.

Edited by Adventurer
photo-50441.gif

Compared to those sites, in the past at least, it always seems like BZPower has gotten somewhat special treatment, more collaborations and contact from TLC, at least with respect to Bionicle specifically.

I don't recall BZP getting much special treatment during Bionicle's run, save for being personally contacted when Bionicle ended. I certainly don't remember free sets being a thing as much as they are now. I can't really see how BZP is treated any better than, say, Eurobricks. They certainly both seem to reap most of the same benefits, just with BZPower putting more effort into earning TLG's trust.

I don't recall BZP getting much special treatment during Bionicle's run, save for being personally contacted when Bionicle ended. I certainly don't remember free sets being a thing as much as they are now. I can't really see how BZP is treated any better than, say, Eurobricks. They certainly both seem to reap most of the same benefits, just with BZPower putting more effort into earning TLG's trust.

My memory is fuzzy on this but I vaguely remember BZP being the first go to source on projects like the 2006 Bionicle video game for example. Could be mistaken though. :P

photo-50441.gif

The policy isn't being upheld because Lego is forcing anyone, it's done because they asked and we're doing what they asked out of respect. The space may not belong to them, but it is information that was stolen from them and released prematurely, so they have a right to request that we not discuss it and keep it under wraps, at least on this corner of the net. Lego may not own this space, but neither do the members, the decision is ultimately up to the higher ups who have their own good reasons for making the choice they did.

Also, when did I ever say "quit BZP?" Is it really that hard to open two tabs, have discussions going on about two different things in two different places? I don't understand why this calls for such drastic action, this seems really silly.

Edited by Pomegranate

We're a Bionicle fansite, and we're not allowed to directly discuss bionicle news? Seems stupid to me. Looking at all the other sites out there, we seem to be the only one with a policy like this that's been enforced in any way. When I look at other sites like Eurobricks, Brickipedia, Groovebricks, Brickset, etc, they don't enforce any kind of policy like this one. Some of them have been actively promoting the leaked images! 

Even the Lego website's own message boards allow discussion of leaks, even though they have moderators who approve each post before it's made! If Lego doesn't enforce these rules on itself, who should we have to follow them? Although, I'll add that the LMB does not allow the images themselves to be posted on the forums. So, from where I stand on the issue, the leaks policy is outdated and unrequired. I'll acknowledge that disallowing the posting of leaked images is reasonable, so I won't mind if that part remains, but I think we should be allowed to openly discuss and refer to leaked content. 

And another thing: we're all looking forward to getting new members with the return of Bionicle, but if these new members aren't allowed to discuss the latest news, they might decide to go join some other site, or start their own, where they don't have to comply to a policy like ours. Just food for thought...

Anyway, I've rambled on long enough. The topic asked for my opinion, and I gave it. Whether or not anything happens as a result is out of my hands. 

• Upvote 1

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Teaser

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

For everyone's reference, our Leaked Content Policy comes from TLG's LEGO Novelties and Confidentiality policy, signed by Jørgen Vig Knudstorp, the CEO & President of The LEGO Group, as well as communications we've had with both the CEE and Legal teams at LEGO. Yes it is more strict than what is written in that PDF, and that comes from the interaction we've had with LEGO on what they would like to see.

BZPower did not create the overall policy, nor is it our responsibility to enforce it outside of BZPower. Just because other sites don't follow it and seem to still get support doesn't mean we are willing to take that risk too. If we started to allow the posting and discussion of leaks and LEGO came in and cut off all support, including all the free sets we give away, interviews with LEGO employees we've done, invitations to Toy Fair and other events, press releases for new sets, and more, would that be worth it? To me it's certainly not.

As far as the argument that people will stay away from BZPower because we don't allow the discussion of leaks, here's some quick stats:

-July 2014 saw the largest number of new accounts registered on BZPower since August 2010.

-We're already over a third of the way to that number for August 2014, and we're only six days in.

-July 2014 saw the largest number of new topics created on BZPower since June 2012.

-July 2014 saw the largest number of new posts made on BZPower in over a year.

I'm pretty happy with the direction things are headed, and hope these trends continue apace.

• Upvote 16

If all the other Lego sites don't have this kind of draconian policy, I don't see why we should keep it.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

If all the other Lego sites don't have this kind of draconian policy, I don't see why we should keep it.

Additionally, draconian implies that severe punishments are being dealt out. I've just been editing posts and deleting the worst offenders. The hyperbole you're looking for in this instance is "tyrannic".

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 3

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

I understand LEGO's position and the one the administration has chosen, but I also understand the frustration. Personally, I think while we should not allow sharing and posting the images themselves, discussion should be allowed, as long as you don't get TOO detailed. But that's just my personal opinion. I do agree the perks we get from LEGO are more important than being able to talk about the pictures, though I'm also pretty sure that LEGO would have the consideration to give us a reminder of the guidelines should they think we're allowing too much instead of cutting us off from all the good stuff right away (and as I respect LEGO's wishes, I wouldn't allow posting the images here or linking to them but I would allow some discussion about them). Honestly, what feels more frustrating is not that we decide to enforce LEGO's wishes so strictly but that several major sites seem to get away without it but that's not BZPower's fault.

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui
  • Upvote 2

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

I still maintain that leaked content cannot qualify as "news" and that discussing it is not in any way the same as discussing official information. A few weeks ago, several scripts and an unfinished copy of an episode of the new season of Doctor Who was leaked due to a security breach in a South American subtitling department; the BBC urged folks not to disseminate the information and download links and for those who caught it to refrain from talking about it and leaking further information, and so far I have not seen anything more revealing than "I saw the content and I will say that it was great but I had an issue with some of the writing" on public spaces, even when googling for it. I myself watched the leaked episode because I am impatient and it was uploaded to the site where I watch the Russian dub of the show, but also kept what I saw to myself and only ever talked about my impression rather than any details.

This situation is identical to what is happening with the leaked images and set lists for the unconfirmed return of Bionicle, as it is unfinished content from a major company/producer that its owners wish public not to spread and discuss for many good reasons. It's not "news", it is an incident.

With the Bionicle leaks, however, folks don't seem to have the same regard for spoilers, probably because its just toys and LEGO hasn't really acknowledged the leaks in any way yet, and that's all well and good but if one major Bionicle fansite wants to remain one of the last remaining places where LEGO's official policy on leaks is held up, folks should just be grateful that this policy is being disregarded basically everywhere. As far as these scenarios go, y'all are being spoiled and given a lot of leeway and freedom. Don't ruin anything for yourselves and others by selfishly demanding that the staff of this forum appeal to your whims.

Also, I'm gonna be honest, what can you even discuss? We now know the characters involved, what the build is gonna he like, and what the baddies are like. There's only so much you can talk about, and 75% of it is already being discusse on BZP, but spoiler-free by just not naming names of leaked things, and general speculation.

Just be patient for a while longer, and remember that you're free to discuss the leaks literally anywhere else.

• Upvote 2

I dunno, I believe the word Wazdakka was looking for is "archaic". Regardless, we know what he meant, and although I agree with the sentiment- and I have vehemently disagreed with BZP policies in the past, such as the now-abandoned YouTube and advertising rules- I have to side with the staff on this one. Although it's frustrating being unable to reference the latest hype, the bottom line is, we're playing by the rules and everyone else isn't- which means BZP is in the right and everyone else is in the wrong.

The way I understand the current leak- and I could be wrong, but- it was meant to be a private leak that got exposed, and threatened the job security of the employee who did what he shouldn't have done. And, that's just not cool. Nothing, not even the return of BIONICLE, is worth jeopordizing somebody's career.

- Heir

• Upvote 5

LfkQ2ln.png

Click the banner. You know you want to.

Shia Lebouf would tell you to just do it.