What if the Story took a Different Turn...

Alright, so as I was watching a video on Christian Faber's blog, I saw this photo. I looked through the rest of the Bionicle posts on his site and couldn't find it anywhere else... take a look at it and I'll get to the questions. The link leads to the image on my Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76365814@N08/14837418061/  

I've heard about three-finger island before as a concept that was never used and have seen several photos of it. But what about those other two islands, Knee-Cap island and uh... Foot island?

This looks really interesting to me and I wondered about what if the story of Bionicle turned to be different? What if these islands were to be explored by the matoran, I kinda think that would be a pretty cool concept!

It's so mysterious and now if Bionicle's getting a reboot, do you think that there's the possibility of these islands (or at least 1 or 2) coming into play? What could have been discovered there? Would we discover new species or characters?

As cool as the whole Metru-Nui concept and everything afterwards was, I'm starting to wonder what the Bionicle world would've looked like if all of this didn't happen (or in the least was delayed). Could the story of awakening Mata-Nui really taken place solely on these islands?

And if anyone has any other pictures or knowledge of/about these islands, please do share! This looks really cool!

• Upvote 1

I think if they are going to do a reboot, rehashing the "Awaken Mata Nui!" Plotline would be a terrible idea. For one, any new curious fan could easily look up spoilers for the story well in advance (If they plan on making the giant robot a big reveal again) . And also, is there really anything new they could do with that story? I mean, they already spent ten years on it. I don't really see anything interesting happening if they just call a do-over.

andromeda_m31_slideshow.jpg

It should be noted here that on Bara Magna, there was a place called "Knee Island" or something of that nature.

• Upvote 1

The Nerd With a Mouth. The Klingon-Speaking Comedian. The Guy Hoping Not To Get Sued By Marvel. The Guy Who Makes Jokes About Bad Creepypasta Stories. The Guy Who Also Writes About The Truth of BIONICLE...sort of.
Vezpool for president 2016

4352268.jpg

I had idea once that stead of the matoran universe being inside the robot maybe all the islands were on top of it

*cough cough* Metru-Nui *cough cough*  :P

Metru nui was inside mata nuis head... Mata nui was on top

Yeah but your idea talks about all the islands being on top of Mata-Nui, which would mean Metru-Nui would be too, but then Metru Nui would be laying on Mata-Nui (island), which doesn't particularly make the most sense to be honest.  ;)

It should be noted here that on Bara Magna, there was a place called "Knee Island" or something of that nature.

Really? I looked on BS01 for that, and I couldn't find anything of the sort. Plus considering Bara-Magna is largely desert, I wouldn't imagine it to have any (known) islands that would be important enough to put into canon. Where was this "Knee Island" on Bara-Magna shown/announced?

I think if they are going to do a reboot, rehashing the "Awaken Mata Nui!" Plotline would be a terrible idea. For one, any new curious fan could easily look up spoilers for the story well in advance (If they plan on making the giant robot a big reveal again) . And also, is there really anything new they could do with that story? I mean, they already spent ten years on it. I don't really see anything interesting happening if they just call a do-over.

I agree, LEGO has been known to make themes working on a basic pattern nearly identical to other themes (Group of colorful heroes who must defeat a dark lord) but I think it would be purely ridiculous if we got exactly what we had before. LEGO should be working to present something new (if it's a sort of reboot) even if it is choosing to work with old characters. 

Really? I looked on BS01 for that, and I couldn't find anything of the sort.

http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Knee_Island#Knee_Island

Also seen on the official map:

http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/c/c2/Bara_Magna_Map_with_Labels.jpg

Edit:

Plus considering Bara-Magna is largely desert, I wouldn't imagine it to have any (known) islands that would be important enough to put into canon.

It's in the Sea of Liquid Sand. :)

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

To be fair, Bara Magna did have giant Prototype Robot parts scattered all over it, so I'm not surprised. It very well could've been a call back to the original plans, though! That's a very neat find, I'd never seen that before. I do like to think about how the story could've gone if they went with those very cool island ideas. I don't think they'll explore that with the return of Bionicle, 'cause it's an idea that ended up being rejected the first time, and referring to the reject pile isn't usually the path to success. They might get inspiration from it, possibly, but I doubt any direct adaptation is gonna happen.

• Upvote 3

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

The scale here is interesting - when I first heard the whole "Mata Nui was a giant robot the whole time" thing, I imagined something more like what is depicted in this image. However, it turned out that the island of Mata Nui on his face wasn't actually all that big, not covering his entire head. So yes, I think it would be cool if Bionicle was rebooted, keeping the giant robot concept, but on a slightly less ridiculous (i.e. planet-sized) scale... maybe something like this (continent-sized, I guess).

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

The scale here is interesting - when I first heard the whole "Mata Nui was a giant robot the whole time" thing, I imagined something more like what is depicted in this image. However, it turned out that the island of Mata Nui on his face wasn't actually all that big, not covering his entire head. So yes, I think it would be cool if Bionicle was rebooted, keeping the giant robot concept, but on a slightly less ridiculous (i.e. planet-sized) scale... maybe something like this (continent-sized, I guess).

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall the robot only being about Africa-sized, which would be continent-sized like you wanted.

I thought the three finger island concept would have revealed the whole "Mata Nui is a giant robot" thing too early, and for that reason I'm glad they ditched it. 

I was a slow child who never would have noticed that. Heck, my mind would have been completely blown if Three Finger Island was actually Three Fingers. Dunno if the rest of the fanbase would have, but I can see your point.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall the robot only being about Africa-sized, which would be continent-sized like you wanted.

GSR height is 40 million feet =  7575 miles

Earth diameter (equatorial) = 7,926 miles

Africa length (at longest) = ~5,000 miles

Forgiven. :P

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I thought the three finger island concept would have revealed the whole "Mata Nui is a giant robot" thing too early, and for that reason I'm glad they ditched it. 

The knee island is cool though. The more you know. 

Isn't that basically Voya Nui with just a slight change in location? 

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

You mean the knee thing? Because finger-like islands would be much more obvious clues. Voya Nui isn't really a clue at all, not even like a knee shape, since it was floating. (Pardon if that's not what you meant.)

No, it was supposed to be it's own story and it's own thing. You can read about it here.

I would suspect that "Three-Finger Island" wouldn't have been called that if it was carried through.

Voya Nui would have to fit over the heart, so it clearly isn't shown on this map, or it simply wasn't thought of at the time.

But what about that wierd foot island? What do you think exactly were the story-writers thinking when this concept art was being made? Do you think this was really a possibility or an idea that was being considered? What would be their (the islands) purposes/story relevance, if any?

• Upvote 1

Voya Nui was above Karda Nui over the stomach/chest/torso. Why isn't it visible on the picture?

These islands are a good place to add some story because Mata Nui's robot was never talked about whether the arms or fingers of feet made islands on the surface.

• Upvote 1