Marendar, the mysterious Toa-hunting invention of the Great Beings. Barely mentioned before the story came to an abrupt halt. So many questions left unanswered... I'm curious as to what everyone thinks about Marendar, so I've created this topic for any theories and such regarding the character.

What we know:

• Was created by the Great Beings to kill the Toa if they ever turned evil and tried to conquer Spherus Magna.
  • Is now running amok on Spherus Magna, likely hunting the Toa.
  • Has the capabilities to bust out of a solid protodermis cage.

What we don't know:

• what it looks like.
  • what it is fully capable of.
  • what it actually is (organic, cyborg, fully mechanical).
  • what part it would have played in he future storyline (before the Bionicle serials were abruptly ended).

Personally, I hope Marendar features in the new story, because I think as a character it had a lot of potential to drive the plot.  

Theories: 

• I have a feeling that Marendar is probably fully mechanical, like the Baterra or the Mata Nui robot, and likely has some kind of sophisticated laser weaponry to combat Toa. 
  • If it was built to fight Toa, logic would dictate that it has some kind of invulnerability to Toa elemental and mask powers, or perhaps it feeds on them. (I think the Rahi Nui had a similar capability). 
  • I think that the viruses that The Shadowed One gathered (the same ones that were used by Teridax to bring down the MU robot), would have played a part in defeating Marendar (assuming my guess of it being a robot is correct).

Right, those are all of my thoughts on the topic. I'm very interested to hear what everyone else thinks about it.  

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I've always hoped it is something like how the LOST Monster sounds (not smoke, but some crazy-complicated mechanical thing). I desperately hope it isn't just another boring humanoid (but suspect it probably is).

And I'd hope to avoid lasers. :P Or powers in general, but it depends on the power.

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I imagine Marendar to kind of be like the Sentinels from X-men, designed to be able to fight under any condition against any type of toa.

I was wondering if Marendar would also kill matoran, because after all certain matoran do have the ability to become toa, so they might be targets as well.

I also wouldn't quite imagine it having elemental powers, though it is actually quite possible that it does to counteract certain elements, though I doubt this because Bionicle elements are not like Pokemon elements where each one has a polar opposite...

I hope there are more than one Marendar. That could have really made BIONICLE epic, again, again. It just sounds really awesome, Toa killing machines.

I forgot what Sentinels are, care to give a brief description? I remember them from that Wolverine show on Nicktoons, but that was a long time ago. I do remember, they were epic.

The description was awesome they gave of Marendar though. He broke out of (I think) 3 feet of protosteel, and no toa or a Toa Team can even hope of taking it down. What if all 50-something Toa go against it? Would they have a chance?

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I hope there are more than one Marendar. That could have really made BIONICLE epic, again, again. It just sounds really awesome, Toa killing machines.

I forgot what Sentinels are, care to give a brief description? I remember them from that Wolverine show on Nicktoons, but that was a long time ago. I do remember, they were epic.

The description was awesome they gave of Marendar though. He broke out of (I think) 3 feet of protosteel, and no toa or a Toa Team can even hope of taking it down. What if all 50-something Toa go against it? Would they have a chance?

To quote Wikipedia on Sentinels:

According to Marvel canon, Sentinels are programmed to locate mutants and capture or kill them. Though several types of Sentinels have been introduced, the typical Sentinel is three stories tall, capable of flight, projects energy blasts, and can detect mutants.

I don't know if the Toa would stand a chance against Marendar if they all went all fought against it together. There are too many variables to consider for me to make an accurate guess. Also, we don't know exactly what Marendar is truly capable of, so for all we know it could kill all of them in seconds if such a battle occurred.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Three things to recent replies:

1) There's only one Marendar.

2) It was said it was metallic protodermis, not protosteel specifically, though that's possible. (Greg might have later specified, I don't know.)

3) Yes, it clearly broke out.

They had little time, but they put it to good use, designing and building a new creation. It existed for one purpose, and one alone: to destroy Toa. The Great Beings believed no single Toa, or team of Toa, could hope to stand against it. It was christened Marendar, an Agori word meaning “salvation,” and placed in a vault.

Angonce knew the abrupt appearance of so many Toa on Spherus Magna might well activate Marendar. He hurried to the vault, but too late – the living weapon had already smashed its way through three feet of metallic protodermis and was gone. It would carry out its programming and kill any and every Toa on the planet.

Personally I think having more than one would be a bad idea. It's a contingency, and given how powerful Angonce thinks just one is, multiple Marendar would just be overkill, and the GBs usually seem to have a balance of contingencies. Although it seems like this can kill all Toa, if in fact the Toa being out there is good, it'll be destiny, and the Toa will likely find some way to defeat it. To have many of them just seems like they would actually want all Toa dead no matter what, and that seems highly unlikely.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Something I thought of yesterday:

You know how Marendar is built to hunt toa?

You know how the Nui Stone can absorb power from all nearby toa?

Would it be possible that the Nui Stone was a "failsafe" just in case the Marendar was not needed to kill the MU guys. (Like if they were not going to try to take over the world).

Then would it be possible for the toa to choose a "champion"? A toa with the power of all the other toa to fight something meant to kill toa? (Therefore, Tuyet could have a story influence to actually help fight Marendar (after all, if it kills the other toa, she gets no extra power).)

• Upvote 1

Online presences (main ones, at least):

DeviantART: Heontris

YouTube: Heontris

Anything else with the name Heontris is also me. As far as I know.

"Don't be a night owl, it gets boring after the first 6 hours." - Me right now

Something I thought of yesterday:

You know how Marendar is built to hunt toa?

You know how the Nui Stone can absorb power from all nearby toa?

Would it be possible that the Nui Stone was a "failsafe" just in case the Marendar was not needed to kill the MU guys. (Like if they were not going to try to take over the world).

Then would it be possible for the toa to choose a "champion"? A toa with the power of all the other toa to fight something meant to kill toa? (Therefore, Tuyet could have a story influence to actually help fight Marendar (after all, if it kills the other toa, she gets no extra power).)

That would be a nice way to make Tuyet's random revival actually be relevant. 

• Upvote 2

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

I think whatever Marendar is, it must be the pinnacle of Great Being tech, combining the best of all their lesser creations. I would guess it can shapeshift (at least to some extent) like the Baterra (perhaps for situational adaptation?), nullify Toa powers like the device Kabrua has, or better yet take control of Toa powers like the Nui Stone, probably Mask Powers too, like the chained Great Being did to Vezon's Olmak.

Edited by Akavakaku

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

I think that if the story continued, the viruses TSO took (which were used to bring down the MU robot) could have been used to defeat Marendar as well, which would have meant some kind of alliance or deal being struck between the Toa and the Dark Hunters. It would have been interesting to see.

And someone mentioned the possibility of Marendar shapeshifting? I never thought of that, but it seems plausible, now that I think about it. I always pictured a massive, heavily armoured sentinel-esque robot killing machine with the ability to nullify Toa powers, but a shapeshifting assassin machine would be awesome as well. I hope they keep Marendar into 2015, so we can actually find out more about him/her/it. 

• Upvote 2

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

with the ability to nullify Toa powers

Very possible. After all, in that same serial we found out that Kabrua had a device that could turn off a Toa power, and that it was given to him by a Great Being (later revealed to be Velika, I believe).

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

Another point that was never explained, I don't think. Where exactly was Marendar's prison?

Since most of the serials from that time were primarily set on Bota Magna, I'm going to guess that Marendar was probably trapped there, but the thing is, we just don't know for certain. It could be at the bottom of the Aqua Magna ocean or buried in a GB ruin beneath the sands of of Bara Magna, or on another planet entirely, or up in the Red Star. All we know is that the arrival of the Toa on Spherus Magna activated it.  So we don't actually know how long it will take for Marendar to come into contact with a Toa. 

I've had another idea as well. I think Marendar may have been designed as a plot device for the story, a means of eliminating the excess number of Toa. I think at last count there were 40-something of them left, and only about half of those were named characters. Perhaps the plan was to have Marendar pick off the others so that the remaining Toa could be the primary focus of the story, the same way Velika was eliminating all of the wildcard characters like Karzahni and Tren Krom, because they were no longer important to the continuation of the plot. 

Just a thought. 

• Upvote 1

I've had another idea as well. I think Marendar may have been designed as a plot device for the story, a means of eliminating the excess number of Toa. I think at last count there were 40-something of them left, and only about half of those were named characters. Perhaps the plan was to have Marendar pick off the others so that the remaining Toa could be the primary focus of the story, the same way Velika was eliminating all of the wildcard characters like Karzahni and Tren Krom, because they were no longer important to the continuation of the plot.

Just a thought.

Oh. That is actually a really clever idea. And it would totally work, would it not?

Online presences (main ones, at least):

DeviantART: Heontris

YouTube: Heontris

Anything else with the name Heontris is also me. As far as I know.

"Don't be a night owl, it gets boring after the first 6 hours." - Me right now

The way the clues seem to be going, apparently Tahu has the best means to defeat Marendar. Say that the "Salvation" can cut off Toa powers and masks powers. Tahu's golden armor doesn't count as either of those, so he'd still have a *huge* edge, depending on what abilities he absorbed from those kraata.

• Upvote 3

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

Just a thought.

Oh. That is actually a really clever idea. And it would totally work, would it not?

It would have worked, had the story not come to an end. I assume that's the reason behind Marendar's introduction, but I'm not Greg Farshtey, so I may be completely wrong and there was some other reason for Marendar's introduction, which may have been as simple as "I felt like killing some Toa". 

The way the clues seem to be going, apparently Tahu has the best means to defeat Marendar. Say that the "Salvation" can cut off Toa powers and masks powers. Tahu's golden armor doesn't count as either of those, so he'd still have a *huge* edge, depending on what abilities he absorbed from those kraata.

That is a very interesting point. I didn't even think of that. Now, I don't know what all of the Rahkshi powers are, but I'm wondering how they would work against a machine that was designed to be able to fight off and defeat multiple Toa at once. There are too many unknowns to be certain. We don't know which powers Tahu absorbed, we have no idea what Marendar is truly capable of, and we have no idea how kraata powers will work on it. But still, and interesting idea. 

Edited by NatoGreavesy

I went ahead and asked Greg about some stuff brought up here. But I know he will give me some generic answers.

Edit:

Boidoh wrote:

1. Where was Marendar's prison? Bota, Aqua, or Bara Magna?

2. Would Marendar have the ability to cut off a Toa's mask/elemental powers? Since the GBs already created a device that can do that before, why not add it in the Marendar?

1) Bara

2) I did not define Marendar's abilities. I was going to decide on them once he was active in story

Edited by Boidoh

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I'm pretty sure that Marendar is singular. There is one Marendar, a single killer entity.

While there's no reasoning for it, I've always imagined Marendar to be a black, heavily-armored, four-legged mechanical beast. 

I think that it's kind of obvious that the Marendar would have to have an immunity/ability to turn off Toa powers - how else would it be able to slay them efficiently?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I see him as a buff dragon with paladin armor and like a polearm of some sor designed to stab Toa in an old fashioned grusome way.

I know it sounds silly, but then again the story got very "interesting" the past few years..

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

For some reason, I always envisioned some kind of futuristic hovering robot with a no legs and a central body covered in lots of limbs tipped with various sorts of killing tools. But I think I was just in a sadistic mood when I read about it.

I went ahead and asked Greg about some stuff brought up here. But I know he will give me some generic answers.

Edit:

Boidoh wrote:

1. Where was Marendar's prison? Bota, Aqua, or Bara Magna?

2. Would Marendar have the ability to cut off a Toa's mask/elemental powers? Since the GBs already created a device that can do that before, why not add it in the Marendar?

1) Bara

2) I did not define Marendar's abilities. I was going to decide on them once he was active in story

Well, that's depressing. Now we'll never find out what Marendar was capable of, unless it turns out to be a continuation, or he gets introduced into the story if it ends up being a rewrite of some kind. And Marendar was imprisoned somewhere on Bara Magna? Interesting. Perhaps Greg intended Marendar to fuel the story on Bara Magna while the serials followed everyone else on Bota Magna and the Red Star. 

Edited by NatoGreavesy

If I had to guess at his powers, I'd guess he's a mass of protodermis molecules churning about like Zaktan's protodites, only it can transform into basically any form it requires.  I'd say his default form after he busted out of his cage would be a toa/glatorian-sized being.  Does this make any sense?  What I'm imagining is a kind of shape shifting like the evil Transformers from Age of Extinction.

Oh, and he'd also have all the powers of every kind of toa, which is why he'd be able to kill them so well.

If I had to guess at his powers, I'd guess he's a mass of protodermis molecules churning about like Zaktan's protodites, only it can transform into basically any form it requires.  I'd say his default form after he busted out of his cage would be a toa/glatorian-sized being.  Does this make any sense?  What I'm imagining is a kind of shape shifting like the evil Transformers from Age of Extinction.

Oh, and he'd also have all the powers of every kind of toa, which is why he'd be able to kill them so well.

Interesting thoughts. Something like the liquid metal Terminator from Judgement Day, but made of fluid protodermis, perhaps?

Interesting thoughts. Something like the liquid metal Terminator from Judgement Day, but made of fluid protodermis, perhaps?

Kinda reminds me of the Destroyer from Thor, (I know he isn't liquid, but the way he moved and shifted his parts around at one point made me think of that) also, that guy was pretty immune to anything but his own power, plus his blast destroyed anything it hit.

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

Just read a quote on the GregF chat at the LMB. He basically said he never thought up anything for Marendar because the machine never featured in the story. That's both depressing and enlightening. It means we might never know what Marendar was like, but it also means we can now make up whatever we want.