More LEGO Movies Expected

There's not much to go on here, but that has not stopped the hype for future LEGO movies. It appears that Warner Brothers has scheduled May 25, 2018 and May 24, 2019 as release dates for two animated films, currently untitled. Speculation has it that these may be LEGO related, either as The LEGO Movie 3 and 4, or even a Ninjago 2. (You see, The LEGO Movie 2 is set to come out on May 26, 2017, and the Ninjago movie is set for September 23, 2016.) It's still pretty early to get too excited for this, but it's nice to know that the interest is there.

View the full article

While it's an exciting concept, I have mixed feelings about the possibility of anything beyond The LEGO Movie 2. Sure, I understand that many people wanna see more of Emmet and his wacky gang, but The LEGO Movie is a treasure that is too good to ruin. What if the sequels don't capture the magic that the original had? Now, I'm not against the idea, but it sounds risky to me, you know?

As for the possibility of a Ninjago movie sequel, I'm intrigued. I'm interested to see how the Ninjago movie will be different from the show, and a sequel to the movie will definitely expand the altered story some more. I sure hope it's gonna happen, but who knows? We'll have to wait and see.

mindeth the cobwebs

Personally I think that the Lego Movie shouldn't have had a sequel. The first one is quite original, but I am afraid that a second one would just ruin the message portayed.

For the other movies, I have two theories:

1) Parodies of other movies (Star Wars, Harry Potter...)

2) Without minifigures, so something biomechanical...

However they might simply cancel them.

:b: :i: :m_o: :n: :i: :c: :l: :e:

I'm kinda jealous that Ninjago is getting a theatrical movie but Bionicle never did. If Bionicle is coming back maybe after the success of the Lego movie it might encourage them to make a theatrical one. Not only that but if it's a reboot it would be easier to introduce people to the setting and what not.

Edited by Trizzlers

While there's certainly plenty of room for further Lego movies, I feel like at least some of these are more likely to be a case of Warner Bros. planning to expand into other animated properties. The Lego Movie was Warner Animation Group's first big animated hit since 2003, and I imagine they won't want that success to be tied to a single brand going forward. And they have a vast stable of animated properties (chief among them Looney Tunes) that are itching to return to the silver screen.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Can we update this news article to eliminate some of this baseless speculation? It seems just about every news source is taking this news as "two more Lego movies" when the actual news suggests no such thing. Yes, The Lego Movie was a massive success, and yes, Warner Bros. will probably keep producing Lego-related films for as long as possible. But it's stupid to assume that their entire animation arm will focus solely on Lego for the foreseeable future, especially when many of their own high-value animated brands have gone without a movie in theaters for so long.

Can we update this news article to eliminate some of this baseless speculation? It seems just about every news source is taking this news as "two more Lego movies" when the actual news suggests no such thing. Yes, The Lego Movie was a massive success, and yes, Warner Bros. will probably keep producing Lego-related films for as long as possible. But it's stupid to assume that their entire animation arm will focus solely on Lego for the foreseeable future, especially when many of their own high-value animated brands have gone without a movie in theaters for so long.

Did you read the news article? I thought I made it pretty clear that this was speculation and that the only "facts" were that two animated movie slots had been reserved. I hope nobody's reading more into this than that.

:music:

Did you read the news article? I thought I made it pretty clear that this was speculation and that the only "facts" were that two animated movie slots had been reserved. I hope nobody's reading more into this than that.

There should be another Bionicle movie(s)

I did read it. But I think the title alone—"More Lego Movies EXPECTED"—is misleading. A lot of people may have jumped to that conclusion but I think "expected" makes it sound like a sure thing, when in fact it's nothing more than one possibility among many. My concern is that other people seem to be paying more attention to that title than to the actual meat of the article, and assuming that Warner Bros. is in fact continuing to pump out Lego movies rather than simply announcing more animated movies in general.

What with all the recent "rumors" of Bionicle's return which BZPower has acknowledged, could one of these be a theatrical Bionicle film?

If so, hopefully this mean that if Bionicle comes back, then it has some longevity (at least enough to get to 2018 or 2019), and Lego isn't going to go one wave and then abruptly cancel it without giving it its due. Or, if Lego isn't interested in having set tie-ins to coincide with a theatrical Bionicle release (which seems very unlikely), maybe that means that the movie won't have to focus on current sets and we could get a movie based on the classic Bionicle story?

All of this sounds too good to be true, so I probably shouldn't get my hopes up.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

I'd rather they do a Bionicle movie TBH. Blargh sequelitis. (Also, why would they plan a Ninjago sequel when the first Ninjago movie hasn't come out yet? It's an untested commodity. Geez.)

I'm in the camp of people that think that this might be completely unrelated. The people at WB might not even know; they probably just reserved the slots and have a bunch of options stacked up for each. 

Edited by fishers64

I'm kinda jealous that Ninjago is getting a theatrical movie but Bionicle never did. If Bionicle is coming back maybe after the success of the Lego movie it might encourage them to make a theatrical one. Not only that but if it's a reboot it would be easier to introduce people to the setting and what not.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Mask of Light a theatrical release/

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Mask of Light a theatrical release/

Nope, direct-to-DVD. A theatrical BIONICLE movie would have tanked.

• Upvote 1