How did the Kanohi Nuva... ?

Back in the ending of 2002, the Toa Mata became Toa Nuva, and lost all the Kanohi they've collected, including the Golden Kanohi. At the same time, 30 other Kanohi Nuva appeared at random points of the Island, plus 6 Nuva cubes.

At the time, we didn't know where the masks and cubes came from, but now we know these were made and sent by Artakha.

My question is... How did Artakha knew the Toa Mata had transformed ? And how could he teleport objects to a place he had never been before, and probably didn't even knew existed ?

It was like, Artakha was there drinking his coffee or something, and out of nothing he was just like "Oh hey, the Toa Mata transformed ! Better make these elemental cubes real quick and toss a lot of Kanohi in a pool of Energized Protodermis until I find 5 destined masks for each one of them, then I will send them to a place I've never been and that is out of our main universe !"

... Okay, I'm sure it was not that way :P  But still, it sounds really strange ?

What do you think ?

Also, I'm sorry if this was already answered already in the past, since I'm sure I am not the first one to be curious about it.

Edited by HoloTheWise
  • Upvote 2

I don't think it's inconceivable that the great powers of the MU, such as Artakha or the Order couldn't have found ways to figure out what is going on in what can be considered one of more critical places of the Universe (at that time). I could see a set of Axonn/Brutaka pairs watching over the Matoran of Mata Nui. In fact, that'd have been a fun little mystery to have had: Matoran who wander off find themselves being driven back towards the safe areas by strange, unexplained forms that retreat from those who pursue them, attacking the persistent from a distance in order to drive them away and back to the path.

• Upvote 1

~~-BS01 Histories-~~
by Zox Tomana, B.A. - Blog

This has been asked on here before but I'm not aware of a canon answer. But it seems pretty obvious. Think about it:

1) The entire population of Metru just disappears from the universe. People would surely notice, no?

2) The ruler of the Brotherhood of Makuta seems to largely disappear too, or his focus is clearly somewhere else.

Now if you were the Order of Mata Nui, you'd investigate these things, right? That would lead them to discovery of the surface island (it's even possible Helryx already knew of it; in my retelling I say she does, though I could be quite wrong on that, but by this time, seems likely she would ). So, somehow they'd be watching the island. And they definitely know of the Toa Mata. Clearly they also had to know of the possibility of Toa Nuva; Kanohi Nuva are an easy experiment to try -- mask + EP. So it seems the whole Kanohi Nuva, Nuva Cube, Nuva symbols thing was a contingency they came up with in case of that ever happening.

The moment their method of watching (whatever that would be) told them the Toa Mata were transformed into Toa Nuva, especially if they saw the masks, they would know to apply that contingency to them, and inform Artakha. He would then set the location of the teleporters, and poof.

• Upvote 7

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I wouldn't be surprised if Artakha somehow had access to "intelligence" in the form of prophecies as well, similar to how the Ko-Matoran on Metru/Mata-Nui would try to interpret the stars. Combine that with his connections, agents and technology it's not hard to imagine him pulling off something like that.

• Upvote 3
photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

This has been asked on here before but I'm not aware of a canon answer. But it seems pretty obvious. Think about it:

1) The entire population of Metru just disappears from the universe. People would surely notice, no?

*snip*

Well actually, Teridax as Dume ordered the gates to Metru-Nui closed, so no one would be able to enter. Others outside of there would have no way of getting in there to investigate unless you can teleport like Artahka. People who can't would assume that the matoran were probably still there, after all, no one knew about their universe being a giant robot with an island on top of it. (Spoiler Alert  :P )

Well actually, Teridax as Dume ordered the gates to Metru-Nui closed, so no one would be able to enter.

That's part of the disappearing -- it's strange and would only make people even more curious. However, one of the gates was torn open almost immediately by Nidhiki and Krekka (that was just a ruse to get Lhikan's team killed; it wasn't ever going to actually keep anybody out if they seriously wanted in). And no gate would be a problem for the Order to investigate -- remember Botar? :)

But what I was referring to by "disappeared" was more that their trade and other contact with the other lands would cease.

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

2) The ruler of the Brotherhood of Makuta seems to largely disappear too, or his focus is clearly somewhere else.

Now if you were the Order of Mata Nui, you'd investigate these things, right? That would lead them to discovery of the surface island (it's even possible Helryx already knew of it; in my retelling I say she does, though I could be quite wrong on that, but by this time, seems likely she would ). So, somehow they'd be watching the island. And they definitely know of the Toa Mata. Clearly they also had to know of the possibility of Toa Nuva; Kanohi Nuva are an easy experiment to try -- mask + EP. So it seems the whole Kanohi Nuva, Nuva Cube, Nuva symbols thing was a contingency they came up with in case of that ever happening.

The moment their method of watching (whatever that would be) told them the Toa Mata were transformed into Toa Nuva, especially if they saw the masks, they would know to apply that contingency to them, and inform Artakha. He would then set the location of the teleporters, and poof.

So you're saying that OoMN made (another  :P) failsafe by making the Nuva Cube and simbols and Kanohi nuva should they transform ? And yeah, I can understand that maybe the OoMN discovered Mata Nui and told Artakha about it.

So you're saying that OoMN made (another  :P) failsafe by making the Nuva Cube and simbols and Kanohi nuva should they transform ?

Pretty sure technically Artakha made them, but likely in coordination with the Order, yeah.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Has there ever REALLY been an answer to what exactly the point of the Nuva Cube itself was? I'm sure it's been answered before, but I've been searching the forums for a good hour reading back and forth speculation that never seems to come to a conclusion.

I get the point of the symbols alone, but they're clearly tailored with the cube itself in mind. If Arthaka's purpose for the cube was so the Bohrok could be awakened by the Kal if the Nuva were to, say, fail to defeat Makuta... Why the heck would he give them that opportunity so soon? Wasn't Arthaka AWARE of Teridax's presence? I understand that he might not have known the Toa had lost their memories, but clearly there was something stopping them from getting to Metru Nui; clearly there was something stopping them from realizing Mata Nui was dying, because nothing was being done about it. He should have known the Bohrok weren't ready to be unleashed, so why would he actively give them the power to re-unleash themselves?

This confusion makes me want to forget the first half of 2003 even happened. There's no reason for any of that to have taken place. They could have gone straight from being turned in to Nuva to the MoL saga and nothing would change.

• Upvote 1

Has there ever REALLY been an answer to what exactly the point of the Nuva Cube itself was? I'm sure it's been answered before, but I've been searching the forums for a good hour reading back and forth speculation that never seems to come to a conclusion.

Well, on the subject of the Nuva Cube, there's still a lot of confusion. We can't give a definite answer to everything, but we do know that it could unlock the protocage using the symbols as a key. That's been pretty obvious all along (what's confusing is exactly why and all the details), but IMO it's probably best to just accept that that's all they really had in mind anyways. :P

But since it can be fun to consider the rest anyways... if memory serves, the most likely theory (I'm assuming it isn't confirmed, but Greg might have confirmed more than I'm remembering... or denied... :P) was that it's all about the safeguards upon safeguards tendency in Bionicle. It seems like there had to be a safeguard for letting the Kal unlock the cage, and since the Nuva needed their elemental powers put into the symbols, the cube could be that safeguard by using the symbols to unlock it, and send their energies into the cage to imitate what the Toa could do to unlock it.

Had they not been Nuva-ized, though, I'm not sure what safeguard would have been used, if any. :shrugs: A lot depends on what Artakha (and maybe the Order if he used them to get parts of his plans into place) had in mind with all the involvement on Mata Nui, and we don't really know much.

I get the point of the symbols alone, but they're clearly tailored with the cube itself in mind. If Arthaka's purpose for the cube was so the Bohrok could be awakened by the Kal if the Nuva were to, say, fail to defeat Makuta... Why the heck would he give them that opportunity so soon?

We don't know that it could work that way. For all we know it was an automated system he set up so "detect if this safeguard is needed, and if so, deploy." Or he might have some reason we haven't thought of for the timing. But it always seemed to me like this was one part of the story that wasn't meant to be really totally logical in every detail.

Wasn't Arthaka AWARE of Teridax's presence?

I don't recall any answers to that offhand. He may have been, if the Order alerted him, or some kind of sensors, but we don't know that. (And if he was, we don't know that that means he wouldn't send the cube right away. :P)

I understand that he might not have known the Toa had lost their memories, but clearly there was something stopping them from getting to Metru Nui; clearly there was something stopping them from realizing Mata Nui was dying, because nothing was being done about it. He should have known the Bohrok weren't ready to be unleashed, so why would he actively give them the power to re-unleash themselves?

Let's assume for sake of analysis that he knows everything that was happening there. How do we even begin to go about trying to answer that, considering the whole thing was a chess game of sorts with Teridax's plan, yet A didn't know that plan? Maybe he was suspicious about Teridax's reasons for not just going wholeheartedly after the Matoran and conquering them, and wanted to test him somehow to see what he'd do.

Maybe he thought keeping the Toa occupied with Bohrok problems would give Makuta less time to spend on worse attacks. Or something. Who knows? Too many variables to really have any good sense of it IMO.

And this is all assuming Teridax didn't somehow trick them into that timing if it served his purposes. :shrugs:

• Upvote 1

I'm starting to favor the idea that it was all a plan to see what Makuta was really up to, at this point. That he sent the cube and the symbols there to see if Teridax would do anything about it. I'm sure - in a universe of fallback plan after fallback plan - there would be another way to awaken Mata Nui, so he gambled the possible demise of the Toa Nuva to prove a theory. 

In this particular case, I'd say that the Nuva Cube's ability to release the seal was incidental; that it was created with another purpose. Since the symbols were never successfully put in place, I guess we'll never know what doing so would accomplish. Maybe it was originally meant to be used as a last resort weapon in any other case. Perhaps if the Toa placed the symbols on the cube it would release a beam of concentrated Toa energies - essentially sacrificing their own power to defeat an otherwise unconquerable enemy.  

I hate. HATE. formulating head-canon, but it seems the only reason this has never been answered is because, well... There are no answers to begin with. I guess all we can do now is make up our own.

• Upvote 1

Both the Order of Mata Nui and Artakha would likely have been aware of Teridax's movements, and moved to counter them. For the 2001-2003 storyline, they might have contented themselves that he wasn't any major threat to the GSR's brain, so left him be while the Toa Mata/Nova went.to work.

As for the Nuva Cube, the Bohrok weren't supposed to be locked away forever. The safeguard assumes that anyone in danger is still evacuating and needs additional time to leave. Bahrag are stopped, Kal are released, and by the time the Kal release the Bahrag, everyone's off the island and safe. They didn't reckon on Teridax waking the swarms before the evacuation of Mata Nui, and without minute-by-minute updates, couldn't know how their influence was affecting the situation beyond vaguely "for the better".

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

As for the Nuva Cube, the Bohrok weren't supposed to be locked away forever. 

That's not the question, really. The Kal's job is to free the queens by any means necessary. That means just so happened to be the Nuva cube - the cube itself isn't a fundamental part of the process, just incidentally so. That said, the question is why it was there in the first place. 

This is a good way to connect things without outright stating it. It's actually nice to have ambiguous plot-points like this that we can try and piece together ourselves, rather than have it explained like everything else.

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

As for the Nuva Cube, the Bohrok weren't supposed to be locked away forever. 

That's not the question, really. The Kal's job is to free the queens by any means necessary. That means just so happened to be the Nuva cube - the cube itself isn't a fundamental part of the process, just incidentally so. That said, the question is why it was there in the first place. 

Storyline convenience.

As for an in-universe reason? The Nuva Symbols and the Nuva Cube may have been an entirely unforeseen part of the Nuva transformation. Though, they (TLC) certainly seem to have forgotten about it by the Karda Nui arc...

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Regarding the OP's question, I don't think we have to involve the OoMN in this at all if we consider the Golden Kanohi: Greg has stated that Artakha made the Golden Kanohi and when the Toa Mata put the Kanohi they had collected on their statues, they were teleported back to him and the Golden Kanohi were teleported there. That must've been a dead giveaway that the Toa Mata were out there near Kini-Nui and since Artakha was responsible for helping them I'm sure he'd check how things were going. IMO the most likely series of events was:

- The Makuta attacks Mata Nui and the Toa Mata are launched into the space, landing in the ocean of Aqua Magna after a while.
- Artakha realizes that Mata Nui has fallen into a coma and that the Toa Mata have been launched. He then teleports to Kini-Nui to hide the Mata's Kanohi somewhere and finds out that there's an entire island around the temple. He decides to hide the Kanohi on the island. Then he returns to his island and waits, probably wondering after a while what is taking the Toa Mata so long.
- Takua calls the Toa Mata and they start collecting their Kanohi. Then they exchange them for Golden Kanohi and Artakha notices that the Kanohi have been teleported and thinks finally...
- Artakha keeps an eye on what the Toa are doing. Upon seeing them transform into Toa Nuva and losing the mask powers they collected, he uses his Mask of Creation to figure out how to create 30 more Kanohi Nuva, does that and hides them on the island.

I'm assuming here that Artakha was the one to hide the 30 Great Kanohi, but I can't find anything on the subject. In any case, it's not really relevant since we know he created the Golden Kanohi and the Great Kanohi were teleported (back) to him.

• Upvote 1

I'm assuming here that Artakha was the one to hide the 30 Great Kanohi

I'm not 100% sure I'm reading this right, but if you're asking about the masks they collected in 2001, the Turaga (as Toa Metru) hid those. :) (If you mean the Kanohi Nuva, nevermind. :P)

• Upvote 4

I'm not 100% sure I'm reading this right, but if you're asking about the masks they collected in 2001, the Turaga (as Toa Metru) hid those. :) (If you mean the Kanohi Nuva, nevermind. :P)

I see, now that you mention it I can find a small line about it on the BS01 page about Turaga as well. :) Yes I was talking about the Great Kanohi from 2001, but if it wasn't Artakha who hid those I guess the timeline goes as follows:

- The Makuta attacks Mata Nui and the Toa Mata are launched into the space, landing in the ocean of Aqua Magna after a while.

- Artakha realizes that Mata Nui has fallen into a coma and that the Toa Mata have been launched and probably starts wondering after a while what is taking the Toa Mata so long.

- Takua calls the Toa Mata and they start collecting their Kanohi. Then they exchange them for Golden Kanohi and Artakha notices that the Kanohi have been teleported. He realizes the Toa Mata must be in the vicinity of Kini-Nui and thinks finally...

- Artakha keeps an eye on what the Toa Mata are doing and necessarily finds out about the island of Mata Nui being there. Upon seeing them transform into Toa Nuva and losing the mask powers they collected, he uses his Mask of Creation to figure out how to create 30 more Kanohi Nuva, does that and hides them on the island.

Artakha, like his brother, Tren Krom and the Makuta as a whole, are the equivalent of physical gods of the sorts for the MU, so they are bound to have some insight into the happenings of the MU and its native denizens.

(Not counting Karzhanhi as the guy was insane, probably due to a constant frustration with the fact that he lacks the ability to do his job and tries his best but always fails, the sight of his reparations being a constant reminder of his failures, is sure to make someone snap and go insane, leeching off of the emotions of others and wanting conquest because his heart is always empty in angry, sadistic anguish.)

EDIT: Edited for spelling errors. Accursed phone.

Edited by Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light