If you wanted to introduce a friend to Hero Factory...

Aanchir

...which set would you buy/recommend for them? For the sake of argument, let's assume obtaining the set is no issue, so you don't have to worry about the set's cost or when it came out — just whether you think it'd be a good introductory set.

If the person I was recommending a set to was a BIONICLE fan or not a LEGO fan at all, 6201 Toxic Reapa would probably be my choice. It's humanoid enough that it gives a fairly good taste of what a typical Hero Factory model would be like in terms of size and articulation. But it's also complex enough that it offers a unique building experience and lots of useful, versatile pieces.

But if I was recommending a set to a LEGO System fan and trying to convince them to give constraction a chance, I might instead go with 44018 Furno Jet Machine. Again, it's a fairly typical bipedal humanoid with a not-at-all typical torso build, but in this case it includes parts that are compatible with regular LEGO minifigures. So even if they didn't end up wanting to collect the theme, it'd still be more compatible with their existing LEGO collections than most other constraction sets.

• Upvote 2

Hm. Interesting question. Of the sets I have, which is mostly heroes and at least half Surge.... I would say... I want to say brain attack surge but I think that at that point the heroes weapon design was not at it's best. But I'd still go with that one as it's my personal favorite. 

But I'd also like to include breakout Evo and Rocka, as both have outstanding weapon designs for their launchers instead of one that feels tacked on.  

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

I was going to say Dragon Bolt but now I'm leaning toward Toxic Reapa or Waspix because of what you said about representing the theme better.

Both Reapa and Waspix provide variations on the usual humanoid design and have pretty useful pieces (or in Waspix's case, a lot of useful pieces).

OpAXNpl.jpg

Both of the sets you described are well-argued for, Aanchir. I think I'd add Furno XL to those, though, because he has a very nice aesthetic overall. many useful pieces, and good playability.

~B~

Edited by Ballom
  • Upvote 1

If they were a complete unknown to Lego in general, then I'd recommend a simple set like Breakout Stringer or Evo. 

If they are a former Bionicle fan who likes a lot of Technicish stuff, then I'd recommend Evo XL Machine, Furno Jet Machine, or one of the bike sets (Furno Bike, Speeda Demon). I'm thinking Evo XL machine would probably be best because it has a better piece/price ratio, but if they really really like Technic, they will like the bike sets better. 

If you want to introduce someone to Hero factory, tell them to search for it on the Internet

we're talking about introducing someone via giving them a set here, not just "hey go look this thing up it's pretty neat"

Give them a set that comes in a canister

are you referring to the 2010 or 2011 heroes?

Edited by Arc

If you want to introduce someone to Hero factory, tell them to search for it on the Internet

we're talking about introducing someone via giving them a set here, not just "hey go look this thing up it's pretty neat"

Yes, because the bags and/or boxes they're packaged in suck in my opinion

i think the bags are nice for ecological and storage reasons, but i have to agree with you - i miss canisters

anyway, that was a little off topic. enough about packaging, heh

Edited by Arc

i think the bags are nice for ecological and storage reasons, but i have to agree with you - i miss canisters

That's such an elitest thing to say, don't miss the fun and excitement of opening up a canister and building a Bionicle or are you someone that just throws aways packaging?

That's such an elitest thing to say, don't miss the fun and excitement of opening up a canister and building a Bionicle or are you someone that just throws aways packaging?

ok. first of all, i plainly said "i miss canisters". second of all, i stated i like the bags "for storage reasons" - as in, they don't take up much space when i store them. third, you're off topic. if you don't have anything else to say that's related to the original subject, please leave the topic alone instead of completely misrepresenting what i say in order to try and extend our discussion into an argument, which i'd much rather didn't happen.

Edited by Arc
  • Upvote 3

I recently got one of my best friends hooked on Mixels, so I've opened up a whole universe of other Lego possibilities that could build off on that. In passing, we have discussed Hero Factory, and the set I pointed primarily to as a sort of starting point was, in fact, Toxic Reapa. He's still probably my favorite Hero Factory set, because despite his small size he has some neat building techniques going on and he accomplishes a really great looking aesthetic. (He agreed that it looks super awesome, though realistically speaking because of his geographical location combined with the set's age and limited availability nowadays he probably won't get it) So I guess Toxic Reapa would be my answer. 

• Upvote 1

AXKP5KC.png