Mutran: Makuta of Voya Nui

So I was reading the Makuta page and noticed it said Mutran was the Makuta of the central area of the Southern Continent.

Well, isn't Voya Nui the central area of the Southern Continent? Wouldn't that make him the Makuta of Voya Nui?

Just an thought.

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

The political borders of Mutran's domain may not have exactly matched onto the geological faultlines along which Voya Nui would break during the Great Cataclysm, but it is fair to say that there was probably a strong overlap.

I'll add to this that I can't recall a time before the GC when that area was referred to as "Voya Nui". I think that name only came up after it had become an island, rather than a patch of the Southern Continent. Even in the Mutran Chronicles, he refers to it this way:

I was given the center section of the Matoran mainland.

Had the region been called Voya Nui at the time, why wouldn't have have just used the name? He would certainly know the name, it being his domain, and it would make a clearer record.

From an  out-of-universe perspective, a similar argument can be made. Had the region really been called Voya Nui, Greg probably would have just said "Voya Nui" in that bit. We know how he often makes these kinds of connections between the current action in a story and some tidbit tying into the past of something else. Lots of other Makuta got their regions of oversight filled in and defined when they didn't work into the written story at all, so why would he suddenly be very vague about this one when it was actually relevant to a serial? The answer is that Mutran's region and Voya Nui were not (completely) the same place. They had no reason to be, since before the GC, nobody knew where that chunk of land would break up, so those lines weren't plotted on any map. Mutran's region may have had another name in-universe that was used by the Matoran in the region to describe their homeland, but with the difficulties of getting names through legal, that name was never reveled.

• Upvote 1

ppg2.png

Had the region been called Voya Nui at the time, why wouldn't have have just used the name?

I'm not sure from your wording, but it seems to imply you may be under the impression the entire area encompassed Voya Nui, perhaps due to that one tentative map which shows VN as waaaay too big (the hole that size of island would make in the giant robot would pretty much instantly flood it). The actual VN area is a tiny dot within the central Southern Continent -- so even if the region was always called Voya Nui, no reason to expect Mutran to mention it in a summary statement of all of his territory.

However, I agree it was almost certainly not called Voya Nui then. "Voya" is obviously from English "voyage" and makes the most sense as the name they gave the island that was made out of land that "took a voyage". So, right conclusion, wrong logic to get there (sounds like).

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Yes, Mutran was the Makuta of Voya Nui, though it was not called that at the time. The joke, of course, is that he was so neglectful of the region, he entirely failed to notice when it actually left the known universe after the Great Cataclysm. He's just that absentminded.

...I was given the center section of the Matoran mainland. (Not that I ever paid much attention to what was going on there, being too busy with my experiments. Really, who cared what happened to a few Matoran here or there? There were always more where they came from.)

Edited by Yaldabaoth
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

So, I get that he might have been the Makuta of that region, maybe even surrounding it, but then how big is Voya Nui really?

• Upvote 1

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***