What would you like to change about BZPower if Bionicle comes back?

fishers64

I've been toying with it and most of the links are broken and return a nice BZPower 404 page.

I think a cool and easy solution would be to install a mod for the forum be the webpage, something like this

Somehow that looks even less elegant than the current front page.

Yeah, can't say I dig that. :/ I guess the modern forum look is too... clean. I like the way BZP front page looks. It's unique. But the point is, it's outdated and a lot of the links haven't been updated in ages or are just dead.

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg

Even though it's be breaking super ancient tradition, what if the homepage notification nuva masks were replaced with the 2015 toa ones? 

Maybe throw in some cheesy bionicle movie quotes, mix things up a little.

Edited by Toa Kayn

9HYoRY7.pngKayn's Thought: My hiatus of Bionicle has ended

Even though it's be breaking super ancient tradition, what if the homepage notification nuva masks were replaced with the 2015 toa ones? 

Trying to inject some newer elements into the site is great.

But cheesy quotes? Nah.

Trying to inject some newer elements into the site is great.

But cheesy quotes? Nah.

Haha, I wasn't being serious about that. But imagine "TAKUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAA" as the site motto.

• Upvote 5

9HYoRY7.pngKayn's Thought: My hiatus of Bionicle has ended

Theres nothing i would change but there are things i would add, like a separate section for BIONICLE 2015 talk and discussion now that it has been completely and utterly confirmed, i think that would be nice to separate that from the current BIONICLE discussion section

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

Most of the big changes I wanted were instituted last year when they relaxed the word filter and allowed us to link offsite. (It's amazing how long BZP clung to rules that were created pre-social networking and before comment sections spread to every corner of the internet.)

But yeah: the main page needs fixing. I actually like the main page's vibrant color scheme a lot better than the muted one in the forums, so I think we should brighten up the forums to match the main page. The forum banner should also match the banner at the top of the main page. Besides that, get rid of all the broken links, make the News section look neater, and fix up the Hot Topics. Get a graphic designer in here and just generally make things pretty.

• Upvote 2

Most of the big changes I wanted were instituted last year when they relaxed the word filter and allowed us to link offsite. (It's amazing how long BZP clung to rules that were created pre-social networking and before comment sections spread to every corner of the internet.)

But yeah: the main page needs fixing. I actually like the main page's vibrant color scheme a lot better than the muted one in the forums, so I think we should brighten up the forums to match the main page. The forum banner should also match the banner at the top of the main page. Besides that, get rid of all the broken links, make the News section look neater, and fix up the Hot Topics. Get a graphic designer in here and just generally make things pretty.

Definitely.

The new forums don't really seemed to gel well with the front page, unlike the old ones. The retro-look of the front page really clashes with the sleek, modern forums.

• Upvote 2

I've been toying with it and most of the links are broken and return a nice BZPower 404 page.

I think a cool and easy solution would be to install a mod for the forum be the webpage, something like this

Somehow that looks even less elegant than the current front page.

Yeah, can't say I dig that. :/ I guess the modern forum look is too... clean. I like the way BZP front page looks. It's unique. But the point is, it's outdated and a lot of the links haven't been updated in ages or are just dead.

-NotS

I didn't meant literally like that, I meant that there is software that can enhance the forum and let it become "the main page".

Came for the sets, stayed for the story.

i said it in the reveal topic, but i'll say it here too

2014-09-19_Announcement_1.jpg

this should be the aesthetic of the new front page

I wonder if someone could mock up a new version of Hapori Tohu that fits a similar aesthetic to this? I don't mean change Tohu's appearance so much as play with the lighting and textures to make him look a little more majestic.

Of course, that comes with the caveat that the aesthetics of the new front page are one of the least critical aspects of the redesign. Ideally they should focus on the layout and incorporate multiple skin options once that's out of the way.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

• 4 weeks later...

Bubble wrap.

Does anyone other than me remember that? (Basically, back when the forums were young, it could get overloaded due to too many people being on at the same time. So you got a silly error message and a link to a bubble-wrap gif where you could pop it, if the forums were too full. I don't know if that's an issue nowadays. I'd just like to see the bubble wrap come back.)

A revival of certain forums *Cough*Library*Cough* would be amazing, but that's up to the members of the community, not the staff. It will probably pick up a lot once we hit the new year and we get the actual new plot.

As for stuff the Administration could handle; nothing comes up at the top of my head. (at least not anything that hasn't been addressed multiple times already.) I do agree that the front page needs an update. It's nostalgic, but at the same time slightly unappealing. I'd like to at least see the Top 10 topics come back. (it was a medal of honor to have a Library topic appear there.) Maybe feature a little more what is going on in the forums themselves? Have more topic highlights, especially for the library and comics forums. (Sorry about the frequent references, but that's where I spent most of my time.) 

• Upvote 1

Defy Expectations

• 2 weeks later...

Get rid of the LGBTOISDVBSAFH le ebil patriarchy and pretty much everything regarding opinions. Objective information, works, but no influence to which side they choose.

I mean, kids lie a lot about their age and I refuse to believe they should think about these things instead of school, so maybe some of them will not even have have reached puberty.(Pretty sure I messed this sentence up.)

Edited by TheCleanser

Get rid of the LGBTOISDVBSAFH le ebil patriarchy and pretty much everything regarding opinions. Objective information, works, but no influence to which side they choose.

I mean, kids lie a lot about their age and I refuse to believe they should think about these things instead of school, so maybe some of them will not even have have reached puberty.(Pretty sure I messed this sentence up.)

"instead of school"

Really

Like even if you somehow honestly believe kids should not think about anything but school, you DO REALIZE that you are talking about a Bionicle forum where people regularly get into heated arguments about children's construction toys right

We get it, you don't personally want to hear about important social issues, please come up with a better justification next time

• Upvote 12

RksnKgM.jpg

Get rid of the LGBTOISDVBSAFH le ebil patriarchy and pretty much everything regarding opinions.

Wait, are you honestly saying "get rid of opinions"? I don't know whether to laugh or cry at how daft and harebrained such a suggestion would be.

As I see it, BZPower is a lot better now that we DO talk about things like gender and sexuality than before we did. Sure, things get heated sometimes. That's not a problem in and of itself. It means people are thinking about these things and that they care about them. When and if things get out of hand, the mods inevitably step in to either issue a warning or close a topic so that tensions can settle.

Did you know that BZPower once banned same-sex romantic pairings in fan fiction in the name of avoiding controversy? Hopefully today, anybody with half a brain can see why that would be a bad idea. You can't eliminate potential arguments by pretending one side of the argument doesn't exist, and punishing people who so much as acknowledge it because "it's controversial". A lot of things have historically been controversial, but that doesn't mean they're not legitimate.

And don't think me saying that means that none of the gender and sexuality discussions make me uncomfortable. But sometimes you have to stomach a little bit of discomfort if it means having an opportunity to learn and grow. Acknowledging one's own faults isn't comfortable for anybody at first, but you can't confront or correct your own faults without first acknowledging them.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 14

BZPower is not going to change its rules regarding intolerance. People will continue to be able to express themselves and who they are. You don't have to read it if you don't want to.
  • Upvote 17

Wrinkledlion is on the money -- the ten-year-old word filter and the prohibition on external links were pretty much the most pressing issues.

and bringing the front page out of the distant mists of the early '00s goes without saying :P

I mean, kids lie a lot about their age and I refuse to believe they should think about these things instead of school

so does this apply to kids who are realizing that they are (as you so eloquently put it) "LGBTOISDVBSAFH?" Should they not be allowed to find acceptance within this fandom?

if your answer is "yes," I am willing to personally mail you a blindfold that you can put on whenever the subject arises here so you can pretend nobody is talking about it

Edited by Jacks
  • Upvote 3

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

"instead of school"

Really

Like even if you somehow honestly believe kids should not think about anything but school, you DO REALIZE that you are talking about a Bionicle forum where people regularly get into heated arguments about children's construction toys right

We get it, you don't personally want to hear about important social issues, please come up with a better justification next time

Well, the real justification is that this community is filled with LGBTQURTSHoids and I don't want the children to grow up to be LGBTQURTSHoids.

But that gets me banned for hate.

(On a side note, is all hate banned? Is hating the Church bannable? What about the Islamic state? North Korea? Is hating religion/atheism/spirituality bannable?)

Mainpage. Needs. An. Overhaul. ASAP.

(I never joined years ago because  the website looked like the mods didn't really know how to fix everything so even though the forums where fine, I had & have a rule against creating profiles that are soon going to be redundant. Might look like an asinine line of reasoning, & I won't defend it; but the front page looks pathetic. Nice, but pathetic.)

Well, the real justification is that this community is filled with LGBTQURTSHoids and I don't want the children to grow up to be LGBTQURTSHoids.

(On a side note, is all hate banned? Is hating the Church bannable? What about the Islamic state? North Korea? Is hating religion/atheism/spirituality bannable?)

First part: Ignoring all opinions about the morality of being LBT/etc. (There are a lot of variations each trying to encompass more things; it can be a pain occasionally for almost all concerned) is there any meaningful evidence that growing up around LBGTQI people actually influences anyone elses sexuality or gender? So there are more issues than you being politically incorrect...

Also there is small but important a difference between being banned for hating something and expressing hatred for it. But hey this reminds me of that old question of whether it is intolerant to be intolerant of intolerance...

Edited by Iblis616

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

"instead of school"

Really

You get banned for hate because, well, that's a really hateful, bigoted thing to say? You don't seem to understand that knowing LGBT+ people exist isn't going to turn kids gay or trans. It's just going to teach kids that ARE gay or trans that it's okay to be so, and teach kids that aren't to not grow up to be like you.

• Upvote 11

nonconventional sexualities are going to grow up regardless of your or our intervention. As it happens, being LGBTQ is NOT an opinion. It's simply something who you are, and it is as much an unchangable part of your identity as your gender (which is why being trans is rather painfull), your ethnicity, your shoe size, etc.

Denying people to talk about these things would be denying them to be themselves - and that actually DOES cause significant problems growing up.

• Upvote 4

That is ridiculous, untrue, and intolerant.

It won't get you banned, but it will get you suspended for the foreseeable future.

Expression of intolerance is not permitted on BZPower. Religious and political discussion is not allowed, so you shouldn't even be talking about those things you mentioned.
  • Upvote 13

If the main reason some people hate us is that we are tolerant and do not condone intolerance under any pretext then by all means I prefer to be hated by them as opposed to giving in to the alternative and let hate, disrespect and bigotry take over our site. I'm proud of our site standing up against it and the staff and especially the administration being insulted for it is actually just the result of them being professional.

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui
  • Upvote 13

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

BZPower is better off without that kind of intolerant mindset, as is society in general (and going out of your way to create a slur should be a clue that you are saying something horrible). Hopefully BZPower will offer you an opportunity to learn and grow past your bigotry. If not, I think we'd all be better off if you just gave up on BZPower. I'm sure there are plenty of hate groups you could join... Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 7

This is what I think on this subject: 

1) People can and will believe whatever lies they want to. This applies to both sides of this debate. 

2) BZPower is not responsible for correcting the lies people believe, and well it shouldn't - this is a website to discuss Bionicle, not this. 

3) Insulting people because of the lies they happen to believe is wrong. 

Wanting something to happen is not wrong, either, but claiming that something is "right" just because you want it, and thereby shoving your preference down everyone else's throat is not. (IMO.)

Both Christians and trans/LGBTQ/whatever people should be able to like and discuss Bionicle. Neither group has the right to insult each other (as per the rules).  

Finally, the administration owns yonder website, you don't. If you disagree with site policy, there are plenty of other places to discuss Bionicle/Lego that don't have these rules. 

And I'm not sure why Bionicle coming back has anything to do with this, other than we're going to have a bunch of kids running around here again. Fortunately or not, kids are going to encounter people of divergent preferences as they grow up, and BZPower isn't going to stop that influence from happening like a stick in the middle of a snowstorm. We're not these kids' parents, and we're not technically responsible for teaching them the truth. Obviously I'm going to say what I think is true, but ultimately people have to make their own choices regarding whether to accept what I say as fact, and that does go for everyone.

• Upvote 1

I'd really like to see the storyline start getting discussed more. That discussion stalled out for obvious reasons, with the return of Bionicle, it can start coming back in full force.

Do you mean discussing the gen1 storyline, or gen2? Because the former is certainly experiencing a massive resurgence c:

the prohibition which BZP used to have against discussing LGBTQA+ topics did not stop me from growing up to realize that I'm trans, so you'd better take your entire ideological position back to the drawing board cause it's just not working Edited by Jacks
  • Upvote 7

bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You