Bionicle Stars (yeah I know)

specsowl

Bionicle Stars  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Now BZPower, I know most people feel that the sets were kind of lame, but these days I'm kicking myself for not getting them and have been scrambling to pick them up. I now own only Rahkshi and Takanuva and am working on getting Piraka. Anyways, do you really think that are were a good idea, in retrospect, of showing some of the finer parts of Bionicle as a last hurrah. They weren't too expensive, small enough to not take up too much space but almost Mata size, and fairly aesthetically pleasing and all inclusive of each set's series. 

Anyways, let me know what you think!

The worst part about them was Lego spent years getting sets from the very limited posability of the Mata to the articulation of the Inika only to jump right back into sets that had less than the Mata (including shoulder function). They had little posability, no functions, and plain color schemes (at least the Mata had black to break up the colors).

That being said, it could have been worse. They were chosen well and did have some good pieces (the armoring and feet).

I marked my favorite as Takanuva. I never got him, but he just seemed to be the best designed of them all, not too thin and a pretty decent redesign.

I marked my favorite as Gresh, though the Rahkshi is the best build of them IMO.

I thought they were a disappointment, to be honest. It made Bionicle feel like it went out with a whimper instead of a bang. The Av-Matoran build was honestly one of the worst things that kept on happening in late Bionicle, even moreso than the Inika build. It lacked both poseability and parts versatility, and wasn't even all that pleasing to the eye.

I was happy to see Tahu back, and to see a Rahkshi rendered somewhat faithfully, and even to see Gresh in an interesting new form, but honestly? The last wave of Bionicle deserved more than six glorified Av-Matoran, albeit with an interesting collectible gimmick.

Edited by Octodad

The lack of posability is a huge turn off for me, definitely. I remember getting the Rahkshi and saying "What is this" aloud. The 90 degree angles in the arms is what kills me the most. I can do with the legs just fine...but the arms. The Mata may have had no posability but they had nice angles and a tall form. However, I liked the Piraka because I felt that it and the Rakshi were closest to form (aside from Skrall released the previous year...seriously) but overall I think just the collectability of them makes them worth it. I mean even now they are still pretty cheap but the price is slowly rising. I think it might be worth getting them

I liked Gresh the most, with Tahu close behind. Overall, I think the Stars were too basic for them to be Bionicle's final line of sets. It didn't help that they weren't very poseable. Maybe the two robots as titans would have been better? Or maybe a remake of Tahu Mata with new pieces and better articulation...

hamster.gif

Sprite Kit Archive

For all of your comic-making needs!

They were terrible, they could have at least used plastic that didn't break so easily, the joints on my Tahu and Takanuva are both broken along with all the other Avtoran builds.

It wasn't a plastic issue, it was a piece issue. In 2008 they renovated the joint design to try making it sturdier (i think?) and instead made it more fragile.

While it made the most sense within the story at the time, my least favorite part about the Stars was how TWO out of the SIX were Glatorians. If you're going to have a retrospective line, give me characters that weren't so recently introduced. I guess the problem there is that most things wouldn't be allowed by the limitations of the canon... But I dunno. Maybe at least they could have given us a Vahki instead of a Skrall?

Edited by IXRollOutIX

they were... eh, alright i guess? i don't really have strong opinions on them one way or the other, i was mostly sad that Takanuva wasn't gold and stuff and that the Rahkshi's head and spine were connected (i was so excited to make like, a full-size yellow rahkshi)

not really a fan of the agori build they went with, though (it's not really pose-able and kinda flat, like... er, well mata were less pose-able but at the same time they had some added features like gear functions to make up for it, whereas the stars lacked the pose-ability and didn't really have a nifty feature to make up for it). 

i said tahu was my fave, i dunno who gresh actually was, the yellow rahkshi kinda bummed me out b/c of the aforementioned thing, takanuva's color scheme was kinda monochromatic and dull imo, and like gresh i just wasn't paying attention to the skrall (i can't remember the piraka). 

(was also sad none of them were bohrok)

(i mean they can transform and roll out  :smilegahlok: [well they didn't look like smiley faces but you get what i mean])

Edited by Kitania

I also understand that they wanted to make a representative of each color. Red-Tahu, White-Takanuva, Green-Gresh, Blue-Nektann, Brown/Yellow-Rahkshi, and Black-Skrall. However, they could've chosen better I think. Like instead of Skrall, which was the exact same as Atakus or Fero they could've used Rorzakh like mentioned above or made Takanuva the black representative with a lot of gunmetal and made Pridak or someone the white rep. Either way they could've had more interesting choices. I think that Tahu, Takanuva, Nektann, and Gresh were good reps, but Skrall and Rahkshi aren't special. Maybe two unique characters would be better

Eh, I appreciated the additional gold pieces, and there was some cool stuff to be had despite the Av-Matoran/Agori model reuse, like the Rahkshi spine, the Piraka head, and the black Kopaka sword. I voted for Skrall as a result of the latter.

~B~

Some of them had good masks / helmets / heads, and some of them had good weapons (only thing worth anything in the Skrall was BLACK KOPAKA SWORD) but the rest was pretty substandard. The Av-Matoran design was a terribly cheap gimmick that was overly simplified, and I can't believe it stuck around for as long as it did. Making that the final line of Bionicle sets was very disappointing. Granted, I still bought all six, mostly as a last hurrah, but still, disappointing.

My favorite was probably the yellow Rahkshi, which has the more interesting build you could get from those models...

:music:

My feelings are a bit mixed. On the positive side, it's nice that Bionicle got a farewell line rather than just abruptly stopping (as most Lego lines do), and it allowed at least a couple of earlier characters to feature prominently in the climax at the time. It was particularly nice to have a Toa Mata in there too.

On the negative, the designs have some clear problems, largely regarding the two Toa. Takanuva looks ridiculously hunchbacked, and the Nuva shoulder pad on the bottom of Tahu's sword looks weird and has no precedent in the original set.

I think the Rahkshi was the best, because it has good proportions and retains the alien appearance of the original Rahkshi. The feet with the big toes are the only thing I don't like as the original instead had a triangular shape.

The other three sets are recreations of (then) much more recent characters which translated into the design style of 09-10 a lot more comfortably.

Maybe at least they could have given us a Vahki instead of a Skrall?

I don't think the Vahki sold well enough or were anywhere near memorable enough to feature in a 'greatest hits' line.

They weren't terrible in my opinion. I was happy that Bionicle even got a last wave. 

Sure, the posabilty suffered from the reused Av-Matoran build, but at least they looked kind of cool. I picked the Rahkshi as my favourite, alolthough the Piraka/Nektann is a close second.

Hail Denmark

I absolutely hated them. I didn't choose that I was disgusted with them though. It was a good idea to bring back some characters that we thought we all know and love for the last year of Bionicle, but they were just awful sets and put Bionicle's wonderful history to shame. They were in such a rush to end Bionicle, they only even cared to release bloody AGORI. And who the heck asked for Gresh or a Skrall!?!? We had those like a year before, they are NOT classics!

I only bought them all because they were the last sets of Bionicle. My favorite (if you can call it that) was the rahkshi. It looked the best out of all of them, though it still had like, no pose ability; the spine restricted the head and the staff restricted the arms. And not even knee articulation.

I have to say, these were awful excuses for sets. I understand wanting to release cheap sets if you want to end the theme so quickly, but those did not do justice to the theme that saved LEGO's company ten years ago. The theme, for what it was, deserved respect, and these agori sets were just insultingly awful. I don't understand how even a little kid could like these.

1. I voted that Bionicle deserved more than these sets. I am thankful that we got sets at all, but these sets could've been a little better IMO.

2. Tahu Stars. This version of him may not be as good as his 01 or 02 forms, but its still Tahu. And he did looks cool in the Golden Armor.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

In my opinion, the Stars were the best small sets we'd gotten in years, perhaps only rivaled by the Mata themselves. Lego brought back familiar villains and heroes, which was a lot of fun, but also simply gave us a pile of small but nice Bionicles. The Rahkshi, Tahu, and Takanuva were awesome sets unto themselves, while Gresh, Skrall, and Piraka gave me the chance to get my hands on characters who I'd never owned. Even then, we were given a good selection of weapons and parts. While I would have preferred a more impressive finish to Bionicles, I believe that the Stars are unfairly maligned.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

It was a great idea with bad execution. Canister sets would have been incredible, and there were only six of them so what would've been the great difficulty in making that happen. Releasing six sets with the unique builds of the Rahkshi and Nektann would've already given the wave plenty of variety and would've been way cool. They would've been able to use more parts and colors that looked much better, and look just more interesting. The Stars looked very much like dinky impulse buys rather than exciting regular sized figures. It might've also forced them to forgo Gresh and Skrall cause they already had canisters the pervious year, which I would not have mind at all.

I'm happy with the Rahkshi, cause I always wanted to see a set of the Heat Vision Rahkshi, but otherwise, kinda disappointing. Could've done so much better.

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

i will say that i dint like those stars sets they have little pieces my little 4 year old sister can do them and that's the reason that i dont like them because i like big and unique pieces most of the pieces were used with the matoran of 2008   

I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the Matoran Universe

I said they were alright. Obviously there are problems with the Kardatoran builds, but I personally never minded them as much as some others did. And since it was pretty much those or nothing at all, I think the Stars did an ok job at being a sendoff wave. Could they have been improved? Sure. The inclusion of 2009 characters was rather unnecessary, and some things could have been done better color-wise and piece-wise. (it still baffles me that Gresh got a brand new ugly piece of armor that only he ever used) But they are what they are. They're not particularly good sets, but they weren't the worst, either. 

If this hadn't been Bionicle's last sets, though? Man. I remember when we first saw the Stars in 2009, before we knew Bionicle was going to end. I was so excited for them, because I thought it was going to be some side-wave just meant to celebrate 10 years that would be unrelated to the "real" 2010 sets. And if they had been some extra thing just for kicks? It would have been pretty cool, I think. 

My favorite and the only one I ever bothered to get (I also own Gresh but I'm going to be honest I have no idea when I got him) was the Piraka. I liked the fact that they did a semi-accurate Piraka with a spine and everything, and I liked how it was actually a new(ish) character with a new design and everything. It was nice. Tahu was alright too, though. 

AXKP5KC.png

They were not inexcusably horrible, but Bionicle would have deserved more. Still, I'm thankful that Lego bothered to release any sets at all. They could have easily just axed the line without any sort of final tribute. This has been done with other Lego lines. So I've learned to respect the Stars, even though they are not even mediocre as sets.

My favourite is Rahkshi. It looks cool, even in chibi form.

Alright. Not the best, obviously, but preferable to the original plan, which was nothing at all.

Tahu was my favorite, all the way. Awesome sword, and getting the set for that Hau alone was worth it. Who doesn't want the most iconic mask in all of BIONICLE?

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

While it made the most sense within the story at the time, my least favorite part about the Stars was how TWO out of the SIX were Glatorians. If you're going to have a retrospective line, give me characters that weren't so recently introduced. I guess the problem there is that most things wouldn't be allowed by the limitations of the canon... But I dunno. Maybe at least they could have given us a Vahki instead of a Skrall?

Head would've looked slightly off.

Edited by Regicidal Kaiser Manducus

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif