Do you read the LEGO Magazine?

Black Six

LEGO Club Magazine Feedback  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Keith Severson of the LEGO CEE Team recently shared the following with the LEGO Ambassadors:

I have recently have had a dialog with the LEGO CLUB team. They are taking a new step in the CLUB Magazine which is resulting in some changes, specifically affecting adult subscribers.

Coming in the September release in EUC (Germany, Austria and Switzerland) all CLUB members who are older than 13 years old will receive a notice that it is their last subscription. Then in November it will be all of Europe (November will be the 2nd launch in EUC, so DE, AT and CH only) and then starting in 2015 it will be global. The CLUB magazine will focus its distribution and experience only toward 12 years and younger.

The team recognizes there may be a impact to the AFOL community and would enjoy hearing your feedback into this decision, also to understand how many in the AFOL community subscribe to the magazine.

The magazine will still be offered in LEGO Brand Retail store to be picked up.

Please answer the above questions and share any other thoughts in the matter in this topic so I can send them back to LEGO.

Thanks!

Don't subscribe and wouldn't care.

Good move by LEGO if they go through with it. I've not cared about the magazine since I was that age anyway, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

After looking through the magazine, it's pretty obvious it's aimed at 12 and under. I stopped reading it long ago, though I still flip through my brother's copy from time to time to see if there's anything new I missed. I really wouldn't care if it was focused on a younger audience, though I'm not sure why this affects Lego so much. I guess it's less paper.

To be honest, even though I voted that I'm over 13 and would be set, I realize now that the magazine isn't as good as it used to be. Plus, I have the internet and BZPower.

HOWEVER, I have been collecting them for many years now, and I wouldn't want to have to buy them on eBay to keep my collection going. Thus, I would like to still receive magazines.

iiiiiii'm not gonna lie, i would be kinda sad if i couldn't subscribe to it (i've been tempted here and there) but at the same time i kinda figure i wouldn't miss it too terribly and, anyway, if it's allowing Lego to focus on the younger demographic i think that'd be the better route for it (considering younger kids generally have like, less access to the internet and forums and all that and it'd be a solid way to get them information if they wanted it and stuff). 

I currently don't subscribe to it, but I did keep my subscription through my teenage years, if for no other reason than to get a free Bionicle comic.  It seems a shame to cut off kids about the same time they go into their dark years.  :shrugs:

:music:

• Upvote 1

As a teenager, very little of the magazine is of interest to me. However, I appreciate the availability of CLUB Magazine in case there is something interesting. Also, if Bionicle returns next year, it would likely be advertised in the magazine. As a result, I would like to be able to read the Bionicle sections.

• Upvote 2

Never subscribed, don't care much. :shrugs: 

Although if there was Bionicle in it again, I might be slightly annoyed to be missing out on it, and picking it up at the Lego store would be additional hassle, but I would be unable to subscribe for the foreseeable future anyway, so it doesn't really affect me.  

Good move by LEGO if they go through with it. I've not cared about the magazine since I was that age anyway, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

I pretty much agree. To be honest I'd forgotten the Lego magazine even exists, so I'd say that means I wouldn't care. :P

~B~

I pretty much agree. To be honest I'd forgotten the Lego magazine even exists, so I'd say that means I wouldn't care. :P

~B~

I'm in agreement with these fine gentlemen. 

silverbladebanner.jpg

1) No, I don't subscribe. I let my subscription expire years ago because it stopped having content that interested me.

2) Because I am no longer subscribed, it doesn't affect me, so I don't care.

-TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

I currently don't subscribe to it, but I did keep my subscription through my teenage years, if for no other reason than to get a free Bionicle comic.  It seems a shame to cut off kids about the same time they go into their dark years.  :shrugs:

:music:

Agreed. Especially since, despite "outgrowing" the magazine (it was basically just lots and lots of pictures advertising new sets), it was still great to see the new stuff and of course the free Bionicle comic.

With the Bionicle rumor, I had been planning on joining the magazine again in case the comics came back. I haven't missed not having the magazine since my mid-college years, but now I would.

Additionally, I'm going to echo xccj's comment about cutting off the magazine right when someone might be losing interest. Maybe receiving the magazine will keep them hooked.

-CF

• Upvote 1

nexo_shields_9.jpg

The magazine ain't as good as it used to be. Looking back at my old copies from around 2006, there was something charming about them, and it's not nostalgia at work. Around 2008 the magazine just turned into a more blatant advertisement; I think I cancelled my subscription in 2011 or 2012. The only reason I even looked forward to it was for the Bionicle/Hero Factory comic, but the quality of those went downhill as well.

If the magazine were better handled, and if I were 13 years old, I think I'd be a little bothered by it, but it's not the end of the world. I can get scans online.

On the other hand - 13 is about the year where all the cool kids decide that getting a toy magazine is stupid, and liking toys (i.e. Legos) is stupid, and anything remotely childish is stupid. By saying that 13-year-olds and up can't get the magazine, it's sort of like LEGO is just confirming that "you're too old for this stuff".

• Upvote 6

I have to admit, that while I haven't renewed my subscription since 2010, I used to subscribe to it. I agree with Skeleton man that it just is not the same as it once one, and that while not really affected by this change, lego is somewhat confirming the... view for lack of a better term. 

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

I haven't been getting the magazine for about four years now, but where else would I have gotten my BIONICLE comics? Now with the talk of BIONICLE 2015, I might just subscribe again.

• Upvote 2

vartempsig.png

"Don't criticize what you can't understand."

Bob Dylan

I still enjoy reading Lego magazines, and I don't see why they should stop sending them to people over 13.

"You humans are absurd, Rook. Furious when you're not in control, terrified when you are. Pull it together."

I'd be sad. Some of the recent magazines have been really good (surprisingly good, in some cases). I haven't been subscribed in quite a while, but I enjoy reading the issues my younger brother gets (he's 16, so this change would affect ALL of us).

There are definitely ways that I could feel less upset, though — for instance, if more of the content were available online (perhaps even an e–subscription option without an age restriction), or if LEGO stores stocked both current issues and back-issues of the LEGO Club Magazine (I have been known to pick up a copy of the current issue while I'm there). Or if some things like the comics were published in book form, that'd be a dream come true!

What frustrates me most about this is that there isn't a statement about any plans for new AFOL content to fill the void. There exist things created by the fan community like BrickJournal, but as high-quality as that magazine is, it just doesn't cut it. A lot of what I love in the LEGO Club magazine are the story content and the visuals. Most AFOLs don't care a whole lot about that stuff. You don't see any pull-out posters or discussion of things like the current Ninjago storyline in BrickJournal.

• Upvote 3

I also feel that the quality has gone down over the years, so I wouldn't really care, except a little out of nostalgia. I'm 18 now, and was renewing my subscriptions at least until I was 15 or so.

• Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I haven't had a subscription to the LEGO magazine for a while now. However, when I was subscribed, the best part was getting a Bionicle comic with it, and if Bionicle does come back, with comics, it would be somewhat disappointing to not receive them anymore.

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

I've kept my subscription, just out of habit I suppose. It's nostalgic. Part of me still gets excited when they come. :P Last time I fully read one, though, was 2010 since after the last BIONICLE comic, there wasn't much else appealing about the magazine. The quality definitely has dropped significantly in recent years, and focusing it towards a 12 and under audience would make it that much worse. That said, I'd really hate to see it go for kids 13 and up, especially if BIONICLE comes back. The comics would likely be available online, but it's more satisfying to hold them in your hands, and to collect them. As xccj said, if someone is losing interest in LEGO around the age of 13, cutting off their magazine subscription would only make them want to abandon LEGO even more. It would be like LEGO saying "it's time to grow up and move on now." I don't think it's a smart move on their part.

Edited by XONAR
  • Upvote 1
Bliss.png

To the guys who don't have a subscription and are proud of it. You'll change your tune if they start making Bionicle comics again.

Oh heck yeah. If this silly rumor turns out true and they make Bionicles again, and if they follow tradition they'd definitely start including comics again, I'd sure want to read those.

Let's assume that Lego is bringing Bionicle back and is putting comics in with the magazine again. Lego surely knows of the huge (at least compared to other Lego toylines) fanbase Bionicle has here at BZP and at other places. Wouldn't it be interesting if they kept the magazine at 13 and under, but continued putting comics in? Would that be a sign that the new Bionicle line would be intended strictly for younger audiences? Would that mean I'd even want to read the new Bionicle comics?

Legos of course are intended for young kids overall, but making this age requirement is like Lego outright telling you that you're not their customer anymore, since you're not getting an advertisement (the magazine) in the mail anymore.

• Upvote 1

I don't know about you guys, but I actually preferred it when they had the exclusive building instructions for sets inside the magazine, rather than internet links to them like they do nowadays. It was just something enjoyable about having that in my hands whenever I needed it.

out of curiosity, what is their reasoning behind this?  personally I think its almost age discrimination in a way, and in this day and age, TFOLS and AFOLS are a big contribution to the lego community, whereas kids just buy the sets, and TFOLS share to forums and make review videos, start groups ect. so does AFOLS, and its thanks to some of these older fans of lego, that made BZP. (unless you made it when you were 12, in that case i give major props) I say equality for all, no matter what age race or whatever, 13 year olds may buy their sets now, and allot will become lifetime fans, but do not forget those who supported you before you reached your level of prosperity.

Age discrimination is automatically @#$%&*@#. All this will do is discourage any potential fans, be they few. This reeks of cheapness on Lego's part, actually, and I wonder if the magazine as a whole will get the axe sooner of later.

Also, I may be horribly ignorant about how the whole process works, but how can they enforce an age limit on magazine subscriptions? It seems like anybody could just sign up and lie about their age if need be.

I was a subscriber from 2005 to 2011 or so, and back in the day the obvious big sell for me was the Bionicle comics (so I'm praying those return if Bionicle does). But I also remember the content of the actual magazine being better earlier on. Near the end it just became basically a series of ads, which was lame. It also sucks that they didn't bother maintaining the Hero Factory comics, which weren't great but helped reinforce and solidify the Hero Factory storyline.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

Also, I may be horribly ignorant about how the whole process works, but how can they enforce an age limit on magazine subscriptions? It seems like anybody could just sign up and lie about their age if need be.

That was the first piece of feedback I gave them. If fans want the magazine, they'll find a way to get it, either by lying about their age or inventing a child to subscribe to the magazine.
  • Upvote 1

The LEGO Club Magazine was a huge part of my LEGO "obsession" from 2004 onward, it's unfortunate that LEGO is making this move to kill subscriptions for TFOLs and AFOLs, but I suppose that it would've happened sooner or later. But like Black 6 said, AFOLs and TFOLs will still find a way to obtain them. After all, we're still kids at heart.

20630367175_89803378cf_m.jpg19614359428_333d55fdd4_m.jpg20062539664_c9b483986a_m.jpg

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click

HERE!

As B6 stated above, lying about your age is not exactly a hard thing to do on the internet. (In fact I do it by accident on steam by forgetting to key in the information and end up getting myself locked out of games.) And at around that time it seems to be less socially acceptable to be into that kind of stuff, and from my experiences it's a fairly small minority who are open about it anyway.

But once I got into college it's Less unacceptable to like that stuff.(I kid you not, half of the campus had their 3DS's out the week after Pokemon X and Y came out, and I foresee a similar phenomenon once Smash bro's hits. Where just a year ago those where stupid kids games outside of the band room and other select groups.)

So I can kinda see where it makes sense, as it would seem to not fulfill it's purpose as much after that. and if it's aimed at that group anyway... Still seems odd to me...

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

I used to be subcribed and I was JUST about to renew my subscription to it but now THIS??!? THIS IS RIDICULAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LEGO WHY IN YOUR RIGHT MIND WOULD YOU DO THIS!!!! THIS IS SUCH BULL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D8<

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

I've been subscribed the the LEGO magazine for many years now, since I was a kid. I remember when I started getting them how happy I was (I even paid the subscription fee they had back then) and how I would look forward to each one. Even though the magazines they make now are so much more modernized, computer generated, and over styled, they are still a huge pipeline into my past and my childhood, and to see LEGO trying to take that away from me makes me upset. Thanks LEGO, thanks for trying to make LEGO more and more of a kids toy, even when I've told myself my whole life that it's so much more than that. Thanks a lot.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, as long as I'm not missing out on comics, I wouldn't really care :P There's nothing of particular interest in those, but it is fun to flip through 'em. My subscription from yeeeaaarrrssss ago is still going but it's my little brother who is picking 'em up and reading them.

I figure they would do this to save money on printing and distributing, right? Why make so many magazines when the target audience are the only ones really enjoying them anyways? The paid subscription, I forgot what it's called, if that's still a thing they do, should stay all ages, I think. People are paying, so, what  is the problem there?

Edited by Pomegranate

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

I haven't been subscribed to the magazine since I was about 14, and I don't really miss it. It was good for a free magazine, but still kinda' flimzy. That said, I'm not comfortable with the idea of an age limit on something like this, as it can be alienating for older fans. On the flipside, it's a free magazine coming out of LEGO's pocket, so it needs to be financially viable for them to publish, which it might not be if they're sending issues to every 13 year old, his older brother, his dad, his grandma and his grandma's cat.

Making brickfilms since 2007.

Check out my latest animations:

, and Avengers Tower!

The first episode of Nuva,

Magnetic Mania, is now live! Check it out!

burning_logo.jpg

I haven't had a subscription since the Toa Mahri line ended, and while the magazine itself wasn't able to hold my interest for very long, I did regret not receiving the Bionicle comic and as such had no idea what was going on with the story (and thus stopped buying sets until HF came out after I graduated high school) because I lived in a house without power, internet, or cable at the time. I do however see how an age restriction might upset other people, and this decision could set them back a bit in that regard in addition to further annoying and alienating that particular group of fans. I enjoyed reading the Bionicle comics as they provided a more personal connection for me than going online and receiving the basic plot points of the story, and would strongly consider subscribing again if Lego included them for 2015, so not being able to have that access would personally annoy me too.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

To be honest, I haven't been subscribed in about 2 years. But if Bionicle comes back, and they put comics in these magazines, no one can stop me from pretending I'm 13, getting the lego magazine sent to my student house :P I already got the Pokemon magazine sent there (which was even more useless than this). I'd only be getting it for comics though, if they bring them back.

~ Argentum

Well I honestly have lost interest in it since Bio comics stopped being included. But I always flipped through my little brothers copy and found things I enjoyed from time to time. Having so many younger siblings, if I want to keep looking through it, I'm set for the next 13 years anyway :P.If Bio comics are included again I can haggle them off my younger siblings :P.

I really wish LEGO would create some sort of TFOL/AFOL magazine (heck I'd even pay for a subscription to it) with articles on LEGO history, master builders, etc. Sort of like the stuff in Brick by Brick.

"Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero." -Toa Kopaka

I still get the magazines, though I do admit I don't spend as much time on them as I did when Bionicle was still around. If Bionicle were to return and they started making comics again, I would be very upset that I could no longer get them. As others have already staed, I too would love to have an official TFOL/AFOL LEGO magazine should they ever decide to do one.

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)