Might Mini-figure Scale Bionicle Sets in 2015 Be a Thing?

Banana Gunz

Hero Factory introduced really cool mini-fig sized (well, generally, they were a little taller, though appropriately so) heroes. LEGO has made these for Bionicle in the past, and I think we all know how those looked. But "Invasion From Below" shows that LEGO is still (at least partially) open to constraction sets in mini-fig scale. So since Bionicle is probably coming back in 2015, do you think LEGO would try making play sets for Bionicle on the mini-fig scale again? If so, do you think they would use system bricks and plates for them like they did before or try using technic like they did for "Invasion from Below" (I personally hope they would use technic, I don't know what it is but there's just something so wrong about seeing system and Bionicle together...).

I don't think it's an outright bad idea, but it would largely depend on how they're made. A bad set is a bad set, whether or not the concept it good. So... yeah, what do you fellas think?

• Upvote 1

I think that it's an unlikely prospect, simply because HF is doing it already, HF is already known for that, and as far as we know HF is continuing. Bionicle, should it return, is better know for constraction figures, so it's more likely that Bionicle will be about constraction figures, HF will be about figs in robots, and the two themes will coexist peaceably.  

I think that it's an unlikely prospect, simply because HF is doing it already, HF is already known for that, and as far as we know HF is continuing. Bionicle, should it return, is better know for constraction figures, so it's more likely that Bionicle will be about constraction figures, HF will be about figs in robots, and the two themes will coexist peaceably.

Yes! This would be great!

In my opinion, I would have preferred if they had kept Bionicle as a constraction theme, and used HF as a minifig theme.

Edited by Jakura Nuva

Well, HF is not known for its mini-figs in mech suits. It's been running for five years now and only the most recent one has this building style.

Your idea about how the two themes could run simultaneously sounds interesting, though the mech suits (story-wise) were only used for that one year because of the giant monsters. I can still see it happening though, like if there were other vehicles like ships and such, but it's hard to continue a story for that, and HF is a constraction theme, just like Bionicle. If you can make mini-fig sized sets for a constraction theme, why bother yourself to make a new theme (or continue an old one in HF's case) specifically to market minifig sized constraction sets when you have a new/different one coming out that could easily have those sets incorporated into itself? Running two different story lines for that reason doesn't sound very reasonable. And I'm not suggesting that Bionicle completely only use mini-fig scale sets; doing what they did before and selling 2 or 3 along-side the regular sized sets seem a lot more viable to me.

• Upvote 1

Unless they decided to use Lego System elements in place of constraction pieces.

But you could still very well make those sets for Bionicle, whether or not you use system or technic. Keeping HF alongside Bionicle for that reason isn't very smart; I'd much rather get more sets for Bionicle than keep Hero Factory around specifically for different types of sets which could be easily used for Bionicle to save the effort in marketing. I'm not trying to sound mean but that's the honest truth in there being no point in keeping HF around for that.   :(

Unless they decided to use Lego System elements in place of constraction pieces.

But you could still very well make those sets for Bionicle, whether or not you use system or technic. Keeping HF alongside Bionicle for that reason isn't very smart; I'd much rather get more sets for Bionicle than keep Hero Factory around specifically for different types of sets which could be easily used for Bionicle to save the effort in marketing. I'm not trying to sound mean but that's the honest truth in there being no point in keeping HF around for that.   :(

I was kind of just mentioning that they could use System instead of constraction.

Hero Factory introduced really cool mini-fig sized (well, generally, they were a little taller, though appropriately so) heroes. LEGO has made these for Bionicle in the past, and I think we all know how those looked.

This implies that there's something markedly inferior about the Bionicle minifigs on the playsets, but considering the much-improved later ones from 2006 and 2007 (ignoring the static monstrosities of 2005), I don't see how the minifigs of the two lines differ particularly. The HF minifigs have separate legs allowing mobility, yes, but otherwise they're fairly comparable.

~B~

Edited by Ballom
  • Upvote 1

I was kind of just mentioning that they could use System instead of constraction.

Oh, sorry then, didn't get the idea.  :bigsmile:

I don't think system really looks good though, but it does have more versatility for creating scenes and such. It's not hard to make a good looking mech out of technic but it's a little bit more difficult using it to make a building, so I'm kind of on the fence as to using system.

EDIT:

@Ballom: Well they simply look a lot better and are far less specialized and are a lot more use-able for future sets. The old Bionicle ones were very specific molds that are difficult to use anywhere else, and like you mentioned, have less mobility. They looked very awkard/strange too.

The newer HF ones are far superior in terms of mobility and parts usage, for they already use the minifig head and the skeleton torso, which are very common (and thus, better/smarter to produce) and very efficient. Plus they look great!

Edited by Banana Gunz

It could be cool. A lot of the HF mini-robot parts would work just as well for BIONICLE characters — all you'd really need would be new masks and maybe new torso armor. I think it's unlikely for various reasons, but most of those are related to leaked info/pics that I can't really discuss here.

One thing I will say: part of the reason the current Hero Factory lineup works so well for the theme despite a big change in scale and subject matter is that it's still unquestionably a constraction line. It's just that instead of building articulated characters, you're building articulated mechs and monsters for those characters to interact with. I don't know how well this scale would work for BIONICLE as a constraction line, because even though BIONICLE had a handful of mechs of its own (specifically, the Boxor and Exo-Toa), you'd want the first wave of the "new BIONICLE" to basically set the tone for the entire theme. And I think basing the whole theme around giant articulated mechs and monsters would be too great a departure from what BIONICLE was traditionally about — magical masks, larger-than-life heroes, and the small villagers they protect.

• Upvote 3

I'd like to see them take another stab at playsets, because they've gotten better at it since BIONICLE ended. Can't say I'd be a huge fan of big mechs - unless they bring back the Exo-Toa, in which case, sweet.

Honestly, I'd be more concerned for the story aspect of the existence of such a set than for the set itself.

• Upvote 3

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I'd like to see them take another stab at playsets, because they've gotten better at it since BIONICLE ended. Can't say I'd be a huge fan of big mechs - unless they bring back the Exo-Toa, in which case, sweet.

Honestly, I'd be more concerned for the story aspect of the existence of such a set than for the set itself.

Nah, they'll never beat the awesomeness of Battle of Metru Nui :P

• Upvote 2

They could if they included functioning minifigures. :P

Edited by Sumiki
  • Upvote 3

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Wow... I just got shut down.

• Upvote 3

Wow... I just got shut down.

lol

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

The playsets aren't terrible, but they aren't that great either. There's just something rather bland about them - a few Toa figs and a few villain figs facing off in plain settings. I think that was largely due to them being made when locations were no longer very distinct or explored, and Matoran and Turaga no longer had any major role in the story.

If they do bring playsets back, it'll have to be with more effort than was put into the previous ones.

No. In 2015 the sets will be full sized figures using the ball and socket system. 

We know, there have been no pictures or set names leaked that could hint at them actually happening right now, but I started this discussion to discuss the possibility that it might happen in the future. I simply used "2015" in the title because Bionicle 2015 is the current title everyone is giving it as we don' know whether it'll be a continuation or a reboot, and it's best to keep it separate from the old story to be safe.