2001 McToran Tohunga theory

I have noticed the matoran you got from happy meals back in 2001 wear colored masks representing their respective Toa Matas, but they also show characteristics which represent what their role is on mata-nui.

Onepu- He was a "champion of strength" according to the instructions. The kanohi pakari is a great mask of strength, and Onepu being the "Champion of strength".

Jala- As the captain of the guard, he is a main protector of the people of mata-nui and he wears the kanohi hau the great mask of protection so it makes Jala the "champion of shielding".

Kongu- He wears the Miru, great mask of flight and he is the leader of the Gukko force. He flies on a rahi called a "Kahu" which allows kongu to be the flight master.

Matoro- He wears the great mask of vision, and in ko-koro he is the head seer of the village. His great mask is symbolism for him being the "seer". Ko-koronans meditate and contemplate the future.

Huki- He wears the Kakama mask of speed, and being the Koli champion of po-koro he would need to have unmatched speed.

Maku- You may think she would have the mask of water, but she does not. She wears the noble mask of invisibility, the huna. This may be because she "disappears" from ga-koro.

• Upvote 6

Technically floating upwards under your own power IS flight. But this does make a lot of sense! I've also seen arguments for a similar relationship between the Toa Metru and their powers. Nokama is a good communicator and skilled at understanding others, so she gets the Rau. Whenua loves discovering things and explaining them to others, enlightening, so to speak, so he gets the Ruru. Onewa is good at getting people to do what he wants and likes having his way, so he gets the Komau. Nuju likes to be in control and not have to rely on anyone, so he gets the Matatu. Matau is skilled at taking on any kind of role, easily adapting to being a Toa, and likes putting on a show for others, so he gets the Mahiki. And Vakama is shy, prefers not to be seen or judged, and dislikes attention, so he gets the Huna.

• Upvote 6

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

Technically floating upwards under your own power IS flight. But this does make a lot of sense! I've also seen arguments for a similar relationship between the Toa Metru and their powers. Nokama is a good communicator and skilled at understanding others, so she gets the Rau. Whenua loves discovering things and explaining them to others, enlightening, so to speak, so he gets the Ruru. Onewa is good at getting people to do what he wants and likes having his way, so he gets the Komau. Nuju likes to be in control and not have to rely on anyone, so he gets the Matatu. Matau is skilled at taking on any kind of role, easily adapting to being a Toa, and likes putting on a show for others, so he gets the Mahiki. And Vakama is shy, prefers not to be seen or judged, and dislikes attention, so he gets the Huna.

Smart! Maybe all the masks were chosen based on personalities... not sure.

• Upvote 2

No offense to the OP, but I think that this one makes a lot more sense. (The main issue with the OP is Macku, whose mask... well, I don't think it fits her personality much, right?)

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Well, as you said, the original six Matoran (Maku aside) were simply using the same masks as their respective Toa. The Toa's masks powers either enhanced their inherent traits or assisted them with their environments. Onua is often digging so has physical strength, Lewa is acrobatic so has levitation, Pohatu has lots of open desert to cross so has speed, Kopaka is analytical so has vision, Gali often descends underwater so has breathing and Tahu is often aggressively leading the charge so has shielding. So it's to do with how the masks suit the Toa than the Matoran, whose mask types derive from their Toa.

He flies on a rahi called a "Kahu" which allows kongu to be the flight master

So he doesn't need flight from a mask if he's already got something to fly on. :P

in ko-koro he is the head seer of the village. His great mask is symbolism for him being the "seer"

It's true he participated in the Seeking, but Matoro's role was specified more as Nuju's translator.

Edited by Sir Kohran
  • Upvote 1

These are all great comparisons, but the irony of Toa Matoro's masks foreshadowing his part of the story probably should be brought up too.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.