Last names for Bionicle characters?

I was wondering if it is possible that Bionicle characters, such as the matoran, have last names? It seems this rule only applies for the Toa in order to classify them of what island/section they are defending and protecting. For example:

Toa Mata (Defenders protecting their island home, Mata Nui)

Toa Metru (Defenders protecting their island home, Metru Nui)
Toa Mahri (Defenders protecting Mahri Nui)

However, then you get into other instances where the toas' last name are considered unique for particular specialties/situations. Such as:
Toa Nuva (Toa Mata that has been transformed by Energized Protodermis making them more powerful)
Toa Hagah (They represent guards of the Brotherhood of Makuta)

Toa Inika (Matoran who were transformed by lightning that descended from the Red Star)

My question is to you...Do you think the matoran would have last names as well? For example, in order to classify of the specific skill that they are most great in? Would it make sense? Such as "Hafu Mahi" (Hafu, 'the crafter')?

I honestly can't imagine there being thousands of matoran in Metru Nui (throwing it out there), without someone having the same first name, you know?

BIONICLE characters don't have second names, no. They don't have biological families, the the other name can't represent that as it does for humans. Nor has it ever been necessary (so far as we know) to differentiate between two beings who share the same name. We have Krahka, Krekka and Kirka, Click and Klakk, but nobody (except the reincarnated Hydraxon) has ever had this problem. Maybe names in the Matoran Universe are like labels to identify each component in the system of technological beings that keep the Great Spirit running. Since every unit needs to be identified individually to perform its own set tasks within the machine as a whole, each needs a different identifier and so a different name.

Those other names you mentioned were really more like titles that beings can earn or be given. Toa is the title for a hero, Turaga for a respected elder, and those other parts of the title refer to, as you say, the specifics of their domain or special circumstances pertaining to their role. 

"Toa Metru Vakama", for example, translates to "Vakama, Hero of the City" (man, no wonder he cracked under the pressure of having a name like that laid on his shoulders). Other titles could probably be added in under this same situation, such as Right-Hand Matoran Onepu or Translator Matoro.

Another complicated twist on this is that one does not have to be a Toa (tall guy with elemental powers) to be a Toa (Matoran word meaning hero), and not all Turaga (short ex-Toa) take on the role of wise elder, so they wouldn't all have the title of Turaga.

This next part isn't canon, but in my own writings I use Toa with a capital T as the title and with a lower case t for the species. It keeps the two separate and avoid confusion, especially in cases like Lesovikk who, though being a toa, did not consider himself a Toa.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

ppg2.png

The key to this is the tiny population sizes (compared to Earth currently for example) -- there wouldn't really be a need for them. I have also theorized that they may maintain databases of MU names, and new Matoran could pick names based on etymologies of word parts they like and check them against the database. If there's a match, they could just modify it slightly until they get one with no matches. With small populations, the chances of matches could be fairly slim for many combinations.

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

"Hafu Mahi" actually translates to Hafu the Goat.

Another Hafu baaaaahriginal.

Last names were eliminated as a common practice on Metru Nui after a certain Matoran carver took violent objection...

Anyway, I could imagine that Agori/Glatorian might have them - but they also could use locational/elemental affiliations instead, like "Dan of Tesara" or "Bob of Iron" or something like that. :shrugs:

• Upvote 4

Anyway, I could imagine that Agori/Glatorian might have them - but they also could use locational/elemental affiliations instead, like "Dan of Tesara" or "Bob of Iron" or something like that. :shrugs:

Just imagine... every single Skrall would be "Joe of Roxtus"

Except Stronius, who is "Joseph of Roxtus"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

I always thought that Matoran would be referred to by their given names as well as by the name of the village that they came from; i.e., Taipu of Onu-Koro or Kongu of Le-Koro. There's a precedent for this in many human societies, so I think that it fits.

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

Bara Magna is an interesting case, and last names seem like they really could be possible. But since none of the characters have any known family, they wouldn't matter. Also, Mata Nui was only ever called Mata Nui, not just Mata or Nui as they might say if they're accustomed to first and last names.

• Upvote 1

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

Aside from the practical reasons mentioned above, we have not seen a single instance in-story of a character having a last name, and we've literally been introduced to hundreds of characters. An interesting question would be if Spherus Magna natives have last names, as we know that families exist there.

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

No, Bionicle and matoran are too original.  :P

Just kidding, I personally don't see any two matoran having the same name, though I guess it's possible. At first I thought you meant like what HF did, like William Furno (and I still don't see why 'William' was necessary but whatever...), but then I saw your example of "Hafu Mafu", and it actually sounds a lot more intelligent. I don't see a reason for them to have last names other than to show occupations though, and it just makes it harder to remember so many names. Plus matoran were probably all given individual names by the Great Beings or who-else when they were made so they could be easily distinguished without having to make anything more complicated.

Titles like 'toa' and 'turaga' also seem to exist before names, and I wonder if matoran have them to describe their occupations instead of last names.

They don't have second names, but tend to identify by their craft/job or what element they belong to

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

While I doubt the MU folks would really need surnames, the Bara Magna natives may have used them, although from what we've seen, it's the important ones who are the focus.

Yeah, we may have Gresh, son of Gresh who went on a pilgrimage, but we have Gresh.

Blargh, midnight rambling. Basically, more important and well-known folks may not have needed a surname unlike average joes.

When you think about it, there really isn't any need for surnames. Because the GBs made each and every Matoran using the MU's programming language, wouldn't it make sense for each one to have an unique name? For example, many humans share their names (I personally know 3 different people named Mark). It would be odd if there was an Onepu of Metru Nui, and also an Onepu of the Northern Continent. Since everyone in the Mu has a unique name, there isn't a need to make an distinction with surnames.

Anoroka Orokau

Oro vahka aan ai myapa

WORDS EMPOWER THE ONE THAT USES THEM