On the Symbolism of Great Beings

Hello! I'm Vesok, and I joined this wonderful community today after lurking for a while.

I've had this headcanon for a while, and wanted to share it with you guys as the more i thought about it, the more it presented itself to me as likely.

I believe that the Great Beings are meant to symbolize humans who build with Bionicle.

Think about it. They are humanoid. They have no elemental power that we know of. And they build humanoid robots in a variety of sizes.

So what do you guys think? 

The GB's being human was a popular theory, even one that I thought was plausible before, but it's been confirmed to not be true by Greg. They're still real mysterious though and I wonder if even any of the story writers knew who they were themselves. Aw well, the mystery is quite fun anyway.

The GB's being human was a popular theory, even one that I thought was plausible before, but it's been confirmed to not be true by Greg. They're still real mysterious though and I wonder if even any of the story writers knew who they were themselves. Aw well, the mystery is quite fun anyway.

Oh. Sorry, i was not aware of that XD.  So, i guess this topic should just be closed then. Too bad. I'll still be keeping this in my headcanon though :P

Oh. Sorry, i was not aware of that XD.  So, i guess this topic should just be closed then. Too bad. I'll still be keeping this in my headcanon though :P

Well I dunno if the topic has to be closed; it could still be a place for people to discuss whether or not they would want the GB's to be humans.

Personally, I find it to be an interesting idea that could be one way of looking at the future of humanity. They could be scientist refugees looking for place away from a warring Earth or something like that. It's kind of a case of like "What if HF is actually the future/past of Bionicle?", it's a fun thought, but isn't the prefered story. The GB's are such a cool and open concept I would love to see them go in different directions if their part in the story was ever to be extended.

• Upvote 1

I thought that it was a symbolic construct as well: the Great Beings built the universe, like we build things with Lego. It's a metaphor. 

The problem is that Bionicle is so much more than that - it got to be a story about those builders' mistakes causing disasters, which sort of backfired on that metaphor in the end. 

• Upvote 2

I thought that it was a symbolic construct as well: the Great Beings built the universe, like we build things with Lego. It's a metaphor. 

The problem is that Bionicle is so much more than that - it got to be a story about those builders' mistakes causing disasters, which sort of backfired on that metaphor in the end.

I dunno, I built something with Lego that covered 2/3rds of my Mom's dining room table and that got left there for months. Could it be considered a disaster that I left her with nowhere to sort business papers? =P

Also, have you ever stepped on a Lego? That's a disaster from the leftovers of building. Zyglak anyone?

In that sense, maybe the metaphor of the GB's can be a warning to us to be careful and considerate of the repercussions of our actions. Look at the things that happen when they neglect to take safety into account: Baterra because they seemingly didn't program a robust and thorough system of failsafes (which lead to the MU being failsafe-tastic ._. ), ticked off Zyglak because they programmed Orde with a short temper. They aren't human, but there is certainly a lesson for people to learn from them.

• Upvote 3

~~-BS01 Histories-~~
by Zox Tomana, B.A. - Blog

Sometimes when I MOC, planets crack into pieces

That's when I know that my WIP has taken the wrong direction

Edited by Chro
  • Upvote 3

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits