How many Matoran were on the island of Mata Nui?

Sorry if this has been discussed before but one thing I have always been curious about is how big the population of Mata Nui was, especially in comparison to Metru Nui. The coliseum in Metru Nui showed that there were possibly tens of thousands of matoran, as shown in the second Bionicle Movie, however in MNOG we see all the matoran of Ga-Koro trapped inside one small hut, with Macku supposedly being the only Ga-matoran free. Even MoL shows considerably less matoran than what we got in the second movie.

So what happened to the matoran? were some left in Metru Nui? does it show that there were many casualties during the thousand years before the Toa's arrival? Or is it just artistic license and different depictions?

Artistic licence probably. And also...

Sorry if this has been discussed before but one thing I have always been curious about is how big the population of Mata Nui was, especially in comparison to Metru Nui. The coliseum in Metru Nui showed that there were possibly tens of thousands of matoran, as shown in the second Bionicle Movie, however in MNOG we see all the matoran of Ga-Koro trapped inside one small hut, with Macku supposedly being the only Ga-matoran free. Even MoL shows considerably less matoran than what we got in the second movie.

So what happened to the matoran? were some left in Metru Nui? does it show that there were many casualties during the thousand years before the Toa's arrival? Or is it just artistic license and different depictions?

That should be "fewer". Not "less". 

And why yes, I am a grammar pedant.  :D

• Upvote 1

VBWj75sh.png

I know that there are some scenes in MNOG that are not canon to the storyline. That scene from Ga-Koro could be one of them. I don't know for sure, since I've never played the game and thus wouldn't know what parts are canon and what isn't.

As for the population of Mata Nui, I believe that its been stated that there were roughly one thousand Matoran on that island. Since some Matoran could've died in the one thousand years that they were there, I would think that Metru Nui could've had more Matoran when they were there before moving to Mata Nui. No Matoran was left on Metru Nui when the Toa Metru took them, since Makuta tricked them all into coming to the Coliseum and getting into the spheres.

I haven't seen MoL or LoMN in a long time, so I don't recall how many Matoran were shown in those scenes. But if they didn't show as many Matoran in MoL as there were in LoMN, but my best guess would be that they either didn't know the number of Matoran on Mata Nui at that time (which I think is unlikely) or that they didn't have the budget to show that many Matoran as once. But again, I haven't seen the scenes in years so this is just a guess from me.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Actually it's confirmed there were exactly 1000 and none died. So I guess Metru Nui had 1006 since there was no time after the Metru transformed to build new Matoran.

Want to solve an exciting murder mystery? Try Murder Mansion II, a new game in Games and Trivia! 8 Spots remaining!

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/19274-murder-mansion/?do=findComment&comment=964351

Well more than 1006 actually. Yall are forgetting the countless Av And Karzahni Matoran that moved onto Metru Nui before it was bashed.

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

How many Matoran live in the Universe? In Bara Magna there are only about 1500 Agori. There should be more Matoran in the Universe than there are Agori in BM, right?

1) Yes, there are 1000 Matoran just in Metru Nui, so I would say easily 100,000 Matoran or more in the MU.

From: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/10779-how-many-matoran/

8) Wrong. Take a look at the crowd scene in MOL -- how many Matoran are sitting in the arena during the kolhii match? And that is only from three tribes. According to the Metru Nui City book site, there are 1000 Matoran on Metru Nui, so you have to assume roughly the same number on Mata Nui. The old figure of 12 Matoran per village simply can't be accurate when compared to MOL.

[...] It was once twelve, then upped to 1000. 

I saw that the BIONICLE Metru Nui Higher Education site states that the Matoranpopulation is only 1000. nIn light of Vakama stating that there were thousands of Matoran on Metru Nui, and Seattle (a city that is actually smaller than Metru Nui) having a population of over 550,000, I find this difficult to reconcile. n Could you explain how an apparently crowded city of Metru Nui's size has such a low population count?  1) I am fine with the 1000 figure, for a couple reasons. One, if you had, say, 50,000 Matoran in Metru Nui, then you would have 250,000 Vahki and you would be tripping over them everywhere you went. Also, you would then have to have 50,000 Matoran on Mata Nui, which certainly is not supported by 2001-2003. The kolhii scene in MOL can support the idea of hundreds of Matoran on the island, but not thousands and thousands.  

Well more than 1006 actually. Yall are forgetting the countless Av And Karzahni Matoran that moved onto Metru Nui before it was bashed.

I'm pretty sure this is a myth. Source?

Takua was the only Av-matoran moved onto Metru-Nui, and he likely replaced one that had died (of course knowing the OoMN, they could easily have killed a similar-looking Matoran and replaced him with Takua). And Matoran might have been moved away to Karzahni, but they would not have come from Karzahni. But when Matoran vanished or died whether Mavrah, Kodan, Ihu, or however many took a one-way trip to Karzahni, new ones would have been built. (Although there may have been 1007 since we can't know if there was time to replace Kodan before the Great Cataclysm or not). I just wish that Greg had said there were 1002 on Mata Nui so all villages could have 167 Matoran instead of 2 with 166 (assuming they are spread as near to equal as possible)

Want to solve an exciting murder mystery? Try Murder Mansion II, a new game in Games and Trivia! 8 Spots remaining!

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/19274-murder-mansion/?do=findComment&comment=964351

How many Matoran live in the Universe? In Bara Magna there are only about 1500 Agori. There should be more Matoran in the Universe than there are Agori in BM, right?

1) Yes, there are 1000 Matoran just in Metru Nui, so I would say easily 100,000 Matoran or more in the MU.

8) Wrong. Take a look at the crowd scene in MOL -- how many Matoran are sitting in the arena during the kolhii match? And that is only from three tribes. According to the Metru Nui City book site, there are 1000Matoran on Metru Nui, so you have to assume roughly the same number on Mata Nui. The old figure of 12 Matoran per village simply can't be accurate when compared to MOL.

[...] It was once twelve, then upped to 1000.

I saw that the BIONICLE Metru Nui Higher Education site states that the Matoranpopulation is only 1000. nIn light of Vakama stating that there were thousands of Matoran on Metru Nui, and Seattle (a city that is actually smaller than Metru Nui) having a population of over 550,000, I find this difficult to reconcile. n Could you explain how an apparently crowded city of Metru Nui's size has such a low population count? 1) I am fine with the 1000 figure, for a couple reasons. One, if you had, say, 50,000 Matoran in Metru Nui, then you would have 250,000 Vahki and you would be tripping over them everywhere you went. Also, you would then have to have 50,000 Matoran on Mata Nui, which certainly is not supported by 2001-2003. The kolhii scene in MOL can support the idea of hundreds of Matoran on the island, but not thousands and thousands.

Ehh I don't have the exact source, like a quote or whatever, however, I think in the Toa Nuva blog Gali mentions that they move thw Kharzitoran to Metru Nui before she leveled it. Also, I believe Takanuva dorected the Avtoran of Karda Nui through a portal before the storms started. So, I believe that there was more than 1000 in Metru Nui during the Great Spirit's awakening.

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Well I was talking about the number in 2001-2003. (Of course there were only 999 at the end of 03 and 993 at the start of 06 due to Takua and the Inika transforming.

Edited by Toa K

8) Wrong. Take a look at the crowd scene in MOL -- how many Matoran are sitting in the arena during the kolhii match? And that is only from three tribes. According to the Metru Nui City book site, there are 1000 Matoran on Metru Nui, so you have to assume roughly the same number on Mata Nui. The old figure of 12 Matoran per village simply can't be accurate when compared to MOL.

[...] It was once twelve, then upped to 1000

I saw that the BIONICLE Metru Nui Higher Education site states that the Matoranpopulation is only 1000. nIn light of Vakama stating that there were thousands of Matoran on Metru Nui, and Seattle (a city that is actually smaller than Metru Nui) having a population of over 550,000, I find this difficult to reconcile. n Could you explain how an apparently crowded city of Metru Nui's size has such a low population count?  1) I am fine with the 1000 figure, for a couple reasons. One, if you had, say, 50,000 Matoran in Metru Nui, then you would have 250,000 Vahki and you would be tripping over them everywhere you went. Also, you would then have to have 50,000 Matoran on Mata Nui, which certainly is not supported by 2001-2003. The kolhii scene in MOL can support the idea of hundreds of Matoran on the island, but not thousands and thousands.  

So was the number retconned between years then?

I don't feel like the number per Koro was only 12, even in MNOG we see more than that

Okay, so:

-Canon is 1000 Matoran on both Metru Nui and Mata Nui.

-Any visual portrayal that seems different is either non-canon (whether artistic license or based on an earlier plan) or need not be interpreted that way in some cases. Others have gone over some of the specifics, I'll just mention one, but the overall answer is "don't worry about the visual portrayals".

-LoMN's huge Coliseum audience may be from early plans rather than artistic license. What Greg's answer cited above doesn't mention is that the actual city guide book (in the intro I think) says that there were many thousands of Matoran in Metru Nui, brings up the question fans are presumed to be wondering as to why Mata Nui had less, and appeals to future story to find the answer to why. It sounds like they intended some kind of mass genocide or catastrophic deaths to explain this, but LEGO may have decided that was too violent for a year's main story and retconned it without comment. Either way, the scene is non-canon now.

-To the inevitable question of "how can a city have just 1000?" answer is most of Metru Nui was automated, and being made of the fictional substance protodermis, may not need as frequent repairs as normal matter, plus they also had various robots to help out (not just Vahki; we know also of various robotic walking carts, the "fire drones" for maskmakers, and there could have been others).

-To the idea that there wasn't time to replace the Toa Metru, sure there was. The only difficulty is that it normally requires a Turaga's approval, and the Turaga wasn't really a Turaga, but we don't know that that would be a problem. Makuta might have the same authority, or Mata Nui might be able to do this without Turaga input (presumably so). We do know that at that point he was finally paying some attention to Metru Nui, so the latter is quite possible. Or, Makuta might simply fake whatever Dume needed to do to approve it. So, six brand new Matoran may have been there, and just weren't the story's focus. No need to appeal to a normal population of 1006!

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Out of interest:

1) I am fine with the 1000 figure, for a couple reasons. One, if you had, say, 50,000 Matoran in Metru Nui, then you would have 250,000 Vahki and you would be tripping over them everywhere you went. Also, you would then have to have 50,000 Matoran on Mata Nui, which certainly is not supported by 2001-2003. The kolhii scene in MOL can support the idea of hundreds of Matoran on the island, but not thousands and thousands.

Why did it have to be the case that all Matoran were rescued from Metru Nui? Why couldn't it have been that for some reason the Toa Metru were able to only reclaim a portion of the capsules? That way, there could be many thousands on the first island (as would be expected of a huge, busy city) and still only hundreds on the second.

I don't feel like the number per Koro was only 12, even in MNOG we see more than that

I'm pretty sure the twelve figure was introduced around early 2003, and the second MNOLG does feature around that many. The twelve figure was quickly abandoned once the movie showed many more than that at the Kohlii match. Before 2003 there didn't seem to be any established figure; the first MNOLG has fairly low numbers but not as low as just twelve.

• Upvote 1

Out of interest:

1) I am fine with the 1000 figure, for a couple reasons. One, if you had, say, 50,000 Matoran in Metru Nui, then you would have 250,000 Vahki and you would be tripping over them everywhere you went. Also, you would then have to have 50,000 Matoran on Mata Nui, which certainly is not supported by 2001-2003. The kolhii scene in MOL can support the idea of hundreds of Matoran on the island, but not thousands and thousands.

Why did it have to be the case that all Matoran were rescued from Metru Nui? Why couldn't it have been that for some reason the Toa Metru were able to only reclaim a portion of the capsules? That way, there could be many thousands on the first island (as would be expected of a huge, busy city) and still only hundreds on the second.

I think it would be out of character for the Toa Metru to leave vulnerable Matoran behind. If there were too many Matoran to rescue from the city, I think they would have tried to wake them up in the city and protect them that way somehow. They wouldn't leave them behind to be influenced by Makuta - they would stay and fight until the very end. 

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 1

Out of interest:

I think it would be out of character for the Toa Metru to leave vulnerable Matoran behind. If there were too many Matoran to rescue from the city, I think they would have tried to wake them up in the city and protect them that way somehow. They wouldn't leave them behind to be influenced by Makuta - they would stay and fight until the very end. 

I think that can be solved easily:

When the Toa Metru woke the Matoran up on the beach, doing so turned them into Turaga. With the loss of their physical strength and nearly all elemental power, returning to Metru Nui wouldn't be at all easy or safe. So whilst they might not be happy to leave other Matoran there, the situation would force them to. Note that they did leave (the real) Dume behind.

As for Makuta, maybe he wanted to reclaim the missing portion of Matoran, and also wanted to punish the Toa Metru/Turaga for disrupting his plans, before reawakening the Matoran left there.

When the Toa Metru woke the Matoran up on the beach, doing so turned them into Turaga. With the loss of their physical strength and nearly all elemental power, returning to Metru Nui wouldn't be at all easy or safe. So whilst they might not be happy to leave other Matoran there, the situation would force them to.

This has the timing backwards. They would probably, as Toa, try to get them all to safety before awakening them.

We have to rescue the Matoran!

We have to rescue the Matoran!!!1!

:P

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

When the Toa Metru woke the Matoran up on the beach, doing so turned them into Turaga. With the loss of their physical strength and nearly all elemental power, returning to Metru Nui wouldn't be at all easy or safe. So whilst they might not be happy to leave other Matoran there, the situation would force them to.

This has the timing backwards. They would probably, as Toa, try to get them all to safety before awakening them.

We have to rescue the Matoran!

We have to rescue the Matoran!!!1!

:P

What I was saying rested on the premise that "for some reason the Toa Metru were able to only reclaim a portion of the capsules". That they were only able to bring back a portion of them, with a plan to return later and try to retrieve more, which was left unfulfilled by their loss of power and being cut off from going back down.

The movie actually does something like this when the Toa only take six of the capsules ("We can't take them all now"), difference being that they do get to return for them all.

Edited by Sir Kohran

That they were only able to bring back a portion of them, with a plan to return later and try to retrieve more, which was left unfulfilled by their loss of power

It seems you missed the part of my previous post, where I pointed out that a plan to return later presumably means they don't choose to sacrifice their power yet. Why would they do that if they planned to return?

• Upvote 1

That they were only able to bring back a portion of them, with a plan to return later and try to retrieve more, which was left unfulfilled by their loss of power

It seems you missed the part of my previous post, where I pointed out that a plan to return later presumably means they don't choose to sacrifice their power yet. Why would they do that if they planned to return?

They could simply have been unaware that awakening the Matoran they had would cost them their power.

That seems highly unlikely -- sacrificing their power was how they awoke them. They didn't do anything else that would then trigger the sacrifice.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with your last post. Maybe I should state clearly what I have in mind: the Toa apply their power to the capsules they have to awaken the Matoran within, but they're unaware that doing so will make them Turaga - ie, they don't know it's something they can only ever do once. This leaves other capsules (left down in Metru Nui) unopenable, at least by that method.

They certainly don't seem surprised. :P How would they not know? Turaga were no mystery. The city was ruled by one. Lhikan became one to make them Toa. It would be pretty hard not to know that, and it's no coincidence they waited to do it until they had everybody there.

Even if they didn't know, why would they risk it, then? It seems contrived, yanno?

Besides, there were a thousand Matoran. If anything I think they'd be worried there wasn't enough EE to go around. It's not reasonable IMO to expect them to think they'd still have some left, esp. since they had also made some Toa stones. Also, if there had been many thousands, they probably wouldn't even go that route for awakening them anyways.

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 1

They certainly don't seem surprised.  :P How would they not know? Turaga were no mystery. The city was ruled by one. Lhikan became one to make them Toa. It would be pretty hard not to know that, and it's no coincidence they waited to do it until they had everybody there.

What I mean is another change to the storyline (to support the change about the Matoran numbers), in which the Toa Metru don't know the end consequence of using their power to awaken the Matoran. They can still know the Toa become Turaga at some point, but not exactly what can cause that.

Even if they didn't know, why would they risk it, then? It seems contrived, yanno?

Have you never made a mistake, or done something and then wished you'd done it slightly or very differently?

Edited by Sir Kohran

What I mean is another change to the storyline (to support the change about the Matoran numbers), in which the Toa Metru don't know the end consequence of using their power to awaken the Matoran.

Ah. Fair enough. :shrugs:

Have you never made a mistake, or done something and then wished you'd done it slightly or very differently?

And so had Vakama, etc. :P That tends to make people more cautious. I can't see why they'd awaken them when they were doing just fine in stasis, without knowing what it would do. Maybe yet another change, to let them know the memory loss was timed. As it is though, I don't think they knew that, so I doubt they would do that just because they could. It would also be pretty hard to actually change things so they don't understand that losing Toa Energy makes you a Turaga. I think they'd have to know they were sacrificing Toa-hood for that to work, so, they'd need some motivation to risk it.

Yet another change, I guess -- maybe they could fear predatory Rahi and figure some Matoran should guard the others? Still, now we're changing it so much we're kinda leaving theory territory. :P

We don't even know why LEGO apparently retconned this -- it could be they didn't think of options like this and just thought of either mass deaths or smaller pop. But if they did, they might have rejected it as too convoluted anyways.

Edit: A more likely way to do that would be Makuta now showing up and making it clear he's actually blocking all ways back, so they would decide to go ahead with the sacrifice.

But if anybody was left behind, that means what Makuta did for Ahkmou would be done for larger numbers -- all indoctrinated by him. If it was many thousands, that would mean in 2006 the story would have to deal with huge numbers of Matoran loyal to Makuta. LEGO probably didn't think that could go anywhere realistic (we never saw Ahkmou turn good, remember). Or, Makuta might have sent them as an army against the others (like how Ahkmou was sent to them, as just one to infiltrate). So maybe 2001 would have had to be different. :shrugs:

Edited by bonesiii

And so had Vakama, etc.  :P That tends to make people more cautious. I can't see why they'd awaken them when they were doing just fine in stasis, without knowing what it would do. Maybe yet another change, to let them know the memory loss was timed. As it is though, I don't think they knew that, so I doubt they would do that just because they could.

Maybe they could've felt it was dangerous to leave the first lot of capsules alone and untended on the new land whilst they went back down for more, and so decided to awaken those Matoran, because awake (moving and thinking) they stood a much better chance of survival.

It would also be pretty hard to actually change things so they don't understand that losing Toa Energy makes you a Turaga.

Well, apart from maybe Nokama being a teacher, there's nothing to suggest the six had specific knowledge of stuff like Toa Energy before actually transforming.

But if they did, they might have rejected it as too convoluted anyways.

It could've just been left unexplained in the main story media, and maybe left to the books to cover.

A more likely way to do that would be Makuta now showing up and making it clear he's actually blocking all ways back, so they would decide to go ahead with the sacrifice.

I briefly touched on this when I mentioned them "being cut off from going back down." The MNOLG makes it clear that just maintaining a foothold underground with Onu-Koro was a challenge.

But if anybody was left behind, that means what Makuta did for Ahkmou would be done for larger numbers -- all indoctrinated by him. If it was many thousands, that would mean in 2006 the story would have to deal with huge numbers of Matoran loyal to Makuta.

I have this covered too. :P "As for Makuta, maybe he wanted to reclaim the missing portion of Matoran, and also wanted to punish the Toa Metru/Turaga for disrupting his plans, before reawakening the Matoran left there."

(we never saw Ahkmou turn good, remember).

Not explicitly, though he seems to have turned to an honest life by the second MNOLG.

Edited by Sir Kohran

Yes, but he does come back as "Turaga Ahkmou" in Reign of Shadows. It's clear that he was loyal to Makuta, seeing as that's who installed him as leader.

I have this covered too. :P "As for Makuta, maybe he wanted to reclaim the missing portion of Matoran, and also wanted to punish the Toa Metru/Turaga for disrupting his plans, before reawakening the Matoran left there."

That would count as another change. Why bother with the rebellious Matoran and Turaga above when you've already got thousands loyal to you? Use the Matoran you've got to convince to others to join the Makuta Empire of Awesomeness, and if they don't agree, kill a few of them to scare the others into submission. Maybe off the Turaga too for fun.

Edited by fishers64

But if anybody was left behind, that means what Makuta did for Ahkmou would be done for larger numbers -- all indoctrinated by him. If it was many thousands, that would mean in 2006 the story would have to deal with huge numbers of Matoran loyal to Makuta. LEGO probably didn't think that could go anywhere realistic (we never saw Ahkmou turn good, remember). Or, Makuta might have sent them as an army against the others (like how Ahkmou was sent to them, as just one to infiltrate). So maybe 2001 would have had to be different. :shrugs:

Interestingly enough, MNOLG was originally going to feature a seventh, covert, Makuta-worshiping tribe, to which the character who eventually became Ahkmou would have belonged.

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

My point was, LEGO probably didn't want to have to deal with that in-story.

Not explicitly, though he seems to have turned to an honest life by the second MNOLG.

I'd call it quite dishonest. :P He was only pretending to have been reformed.

That would count as another change. Why bother with the rebellious Matoran and Turaga above when you've already got thousands loyal to you?

Actually, all of this might be a problem in the other way -- since Makuta actually did need the Toa to "win". I'm sure he could have come up with something, but it would probably be less plausible to the Toa that he wasn't letting them win. All I'm saying is, all these changes we keep having to appeal to to justify the alternative of sticking with how the city guide open described things probably show that no matter how you slice it, it didn't fit with the direction LEGO wanted to go. And since there's no real need in an automated city for huge numbers anyways, all things considered methinks they made the right call.

• Upvote 1

Yes, but he does come back as "Turaga Ahkmou" in Reign of Shadows. It's clear that he was loyal to Makuta, seeing as that's who installed him as leader.

That happens a fair while after the events of the MNOLG, though. He appears to have towed the line for a bit (also see what I wrote below). Makuta's takeover simply brought his bad side back into play and he decided to capitalise on the new situation.

As an aside, I'm impressed Greg thought to sneak that in, complete with a reference to the plot in the MNOLG, although it's a shame Ahkmou is left only mentioned and nothing much is made of it.

That would count as another change. Why bother with the rebellious Matoran and Turaga above when you've already got thousands loyal to you? Use the Matoran you've got to convince to others to join the Makuta Empire of Awesomeness, and if they don't agree, kill a few of them to scare the others into submission. Maybe off the Turaga too for fun.

Maybe he's obsessive and simply wants the entire bunch.

I'd call it quite dishonest.  :P He was only pretending to have been reformed.

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? Do remember that at that point Makuta was believed to have been defeated/destroyed by the Toa Mata (however untrue that actually was), so it would make no sense for Ahkmou to remain loyal to him after that.

And since there's no real need in an automated city for huge numbers anyways

It's consistent with what some of the 2004 imagery showed, and also with reality, in which city numbers are vastly bigger than just a thousand (which is hardly enough even for a town). Yes, I know there's supposedly an 'automated' aspect involved, but the story didn't emphasise this much.

• Upvote 1

Can we stay on-topic? This isn't about Ahkmou's innocence and guilt and it came up only in relation to a tangent itself. BS01 confirms it, and that's what I've always heard, but since it's not on-topic I'd rather not do a search for official quotes. Also, you're forgetting he was already proven guilty -- in this case it's more like "once proven guilty, assumed still untrustworthy until proven trustworthy," the policy at just about any prison. (And his staying in the village was his "sentence"; Onewa wanted to keep an eye on him but also make him be productive.)

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

Canonically speaking, yes, there were 1,000 Matoran on Mata Nui/Metru Nui. Regardless of how many were originally on Metru Nui, I'd say Matau Nui's population could easily be 1,000. (Though I like 1006, if only because it's 9001 upside-down *is shot for overused meme*)

Personally my theory for Metru Nui's population goes off of the given figure in the guidebook, and that during the time between the Metru fleeing the city and their return in '05, a significant population of Matoran (those on the outskirts of the city and/or deep in the Archives) did not go to the Coliseum with the others. After Makuta's brief takeover, they began reclaiming the city in the wake of the destruction before the Visorak showed up, the Vahki went crazy, and between the two groups these extra Matoran were killed trying to fight them off. Dark for LEGO, I know, but seems to make the most sense and also explains why the extra Matoran didn't show up with Dume at the beginning of '06.

Feel free to poke holes in my theory. :P

:mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

• Upvote 1

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

Problems I see with that: 

1) There would have been Matoran corpses in Metru Nui, which would be demoralizing - "The Matoran are all dead!" panic. 

2) Visorak mutate/immobilize, not kill. 

3) Vakama and Co. would have to have had a bunch of Matoran made after they returned to Metru Nui. 

• Upvote 1

1) The corpses were probably there in my theory but not alluded to in the media for obvious child-friendly reasons.

2) A good point. Hmm...crossfire between Vahki and Visorak? Too much poison for a Matoran to survive? (We've only seen it mutate Toa and Rahi successfully) Hmm...

3) Too busy saving the universe from dying to get around to it. :P

:mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

Hmm, good point, forgot about that. Though as someone mentioned earlier, Metru Nui did take in the remaining Karzahni and Karda Nui matoran, didn't they? How many of these extra "refugees" were there, I wonder?

I remember back in 2004 being under the impression that the Matoran on Mata Nui were just the refugees and that there were many times more still asleep in the city.
But it was stated later that in fact pretty much all the Matoran were rescued and the total on each island was 1000 give or take.
Which is a good number for six little villages. Metru Nui on the other hand, has much quieter streets than we are led to beleive and most of the city is probably pretty automated.
Sources like the movie make it seem a lot more populated because frankly, it looks better that way. It's a city. The masses of tens of thousands that we seein the colluseum in the movie are fudging canon a little bit.

Edited by Takhamavahu