Doe My Lego Network have any future?

Banana Gunz

I'm really surprised that My Lego Network still exists, though I would guess that like 10 people still use it. Do you think LEGO would update it, change it, replace it, or frankly do anything with it!? I remember how cool it was when I was young but it was so hard to rank up past rank 3...

I'm really surprised that My Lego Network still exists, though I would guess that like 10 people still use it. Do you think LEGO would update it, change it, replace it, or frankly do anything with it!? I remember how cool it was when I was young but it was so hard to rank up past rank 3...

There's basically no chance of Lego returning their focus to My Lego Network. If they wanted to do something like that again, they'd likely just create something new so that everyone started on an even playing field.

Personally, I don't miss it. Not only was it generally a poor attempt to "gamify" online social interaction, but it relied too much on waiting around and had too many timed exclusives that ensured that less consistent or newer players couldn't obtain everything if they tried.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

MLN was the beginning of Lego games' emphasis on waiting forever to do stuff. If they do something like that in the future, wait times better be out. 

I think they were trying to unify their userbase with the different theme "campaigns", but I don't think that they succeeded due to the platform having too many wait times and other flaws. Kick that thing to the curb and get something really cool. 

One thing I liked about MLN was the "sticker" function. I think they should have expanded that, and that definitely should be a part of a future platform along those lines.

• Upvote 2

Yeah MLN was pretty good, i still remember when the Glatorian sets came out and you could become friends with Raanu and Berix, good times... 

But like has been said above i dont think there is any future for it and no need to update it

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

Good points have been made.

I liked MLN when I was a kid because it was interactive and you had something to strive for. I liked the simple customize-ability that was available and it felt interesting. But It was so tedious and eventually made me lose interest.

I'd be interested in seeing if LEGO replaces it with something cooler, though at this age it's unlikely I'd actually use it.

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought that MLN had gone the way of LEGO Universe. Quite frankly, I'm amazed that it's around to this day in any form.

Compared to Lego Universe, maintaining MLN is probably not significantly more costly than keeping any other pages on Lego.com. It doesn't need its own servers dedicated to it.

• Upvote 1

Ah yes my lego network the thing that everyone forgot about, yeah I remember the good old days of that thing, it was fun when I was younger but now I realize it's pretty boring and they may as well just kill it off. I mean seriously it doesn't even promote any modern lego themes.

It's got minigames as a part of it, and Lego.com keeps games online for a really long time (not just until the themes it promotes are over). I imagine they'll take it down if they ever come up with a similar initiative to replace it, but until then it's not really doing anyone any harm.

You can always setup a bunch of LEGO accounts and gain ranks that way. Also the only way to get the BIONICLE campaign is to go on the MLN wiki or on the message boards where some users gave links to cached pages. :kakama:

:kakama:   :m: :a: :s: :k:   :m_o: :f:   :s: :m_p: :e:  :e: :m_d:  :kakama:  

For the BEST BIONICLE reviews, podcasts, and more, Check out:

http://youtube.com/thethreevirtues

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

I agree, it's pretty pointless. I think I got to Rank 2. I only got really into it for the My LEGO Network BIONICLE Campaign, and the only thing I really enjoyed was the dialog in the messages. Waiting for Thornax to grow took way to long. I occasionally log in and harvest my red bricks just for old times' sake, but I'm not really active by any means.

• Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

• 1 month later...

You can always setup a bunch of LEGO accounts and gain ranks that way. Also the only way to get the BIONICLE campaign is to go on the MLN wiki or on the message boards where some users gave links to cached pages. :kakama:

No. Some awesome user from BS01 decided to create a walkthrough (saga guide-esque thing) for it and have the designated links at the bottom! *hint*hint*me

http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/My_LEGO_Network_BIONICLE_Campaign_Walkthrough

• Upvote 1

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

It will be hilarious when BIONICLE comes and there is still the 2009 Gen 1 game there. :P

• Upvote 2

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

MLN is dead but perhaps the reason it has not yet disappeared entirely is that they're working on a successor?

Nah. Remember when they were working on Bionicle's successor? They took Bionicle.com down. 

If it's still up, probably means that they don't care to make a successor, so they're leaving it open for the few people who want to play. 

MLN is dead but perhaps the reason it has not yet disappeared entirely is that they're working on a successor?

Nah. Remember when they were working on Bionicle's successor? They took Bionicle.com down. 

If it's still up, probably means that they don't care to make a successor, so they're leaving it open for the few people who want to play. 

They took Bionicle.com down because it was an entire theme that was out and done. MLN is just a thing on their website. They probably haven't seen any reason to delete it yet until they make a new, better version/successor.

• Upvote 1

Nah, the most likely reason that it's not gone is that Lego themselves can't be bothered to actually remove it and all links to it on lego.com, so they just chose to let it die in an obscure corner of the website and never touch it again until they do one of two things:

1) Replace it with a newer, shinier version of it with no references to any themes currently on it that have gone (AKA: nearly everything)

2) Get rid of it completely and focus on other things, such as other REAL social networks (twitter, facebook, etc) or the rest of lego.com

Either way, I don't think a successor is that likely seeing that MLN wasn't really a massive success in the first place.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams

Twitter Flickr

Nah, the most likely reason that it's not gone is that Lego themselves can't be bothered to actually remove it and all links to it on lego.com, so they just chose to let it die in an obscure corner of the website and never touch it again until they do one of two things:

1) Replace it with a newer, shinier version of it with no references to any themes currently on it that have gone (AKA: nearly everything)

2) Get rid of it completely and focus on other things, such as other REAL social networks (twitter, facebook, etc) or the rest of lego.com

Either way, I don't think a successor is that likely seeing that MLN wasn't really a massive success in the first place.

A successor would be vastly different of course. Think a real social network for LEGO fans...

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

A successor would be vastly different of course. Think a real social network for LEGO fans...

I think the closest we're going to get to that in the foreseeable future is Rebrick, which I believe has an age limit.

More like a age minimum. I think you have to be over 18 to get on there. 

I think the closest we're going to get to that in the foreseeable future is Rebrick, which I believe has an age limit.

More like a age minimum. I think you have to be over 18 to get on there.

Yes, that's what I meant. A lower limit, not an upper limit. So it's not really aimed at the same target audience as the rest of LEGO.com tends to be, whereas My LEGO Network was. Edited by Aanchir