Least Favorite Kanohi Design?

Banana Gunz

Did someone say Kongu's Suletu?

I hate that mask.... It gives the entire set a... Lizard-like feel, plus on top of it he's green so it adds to it.

But really though, the organic parts on the mask and the teeth were a no-go for me.

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Kongu's Suletu is just...a rock. 

Give that mask to Hewkii. 

Oh yes a similar note Hewkii Inika's Sanok mask never felt like a mask, it felt more like a dwarfs face.

My 5 least favorite masks are

1- Adapted Akaku Nuva(2008), it was excessively bulky because of the big side vents, and and to my great annyoance: Why is the scope visor on the wrong side of the mask compared to the earlier mask and the need for a targeting laser on it was ridiculous too.

2- Matoro Mahri's Tryna (2007) The one sided tube vent hole made the mask mostly uncool from direct front view.

3- Inika masks in general, why the rubber?

4-Makuta Antroz Jutlin in Jetrax T6 form. His original mask looked great, but this form was hideous for all the wrong reasons.

5-As DeeVee mentioned earlier the Kanohi Olmak, never cared much for it either. The mask looked cool but it did look like too many ideas were used to design.

qs3135.jpg

What is it with this trend of "least favorite" posts or "disappointments" posts. Is this really all we have to talk about now?

Because we already had quite a few years to say most of the things we like. Now it's time to ponder the things Lego could have done better.

Plus, there's been a lot of "Your Favorite..." Topics, so these naturally follow.

• Upvote 1

I personally loved the Nuva masks from '02. The only ones I didn't like are the Hordika mask/head things, and the actually produced Vahi. I felt the aesthetic was completely off from the rest of the kanohi at the time, but the movie version, I wish we could've gotten it in plastic. Oh and the Elda. It just didn't work.

Vultraz's mask for sure. Organic, blobby, misshapen, and managing to look nothing like a face, it feels more like the first draft or prototype of a mask than something actually fit for a finalized set.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I feel like saying the Mask of Scavenging and Kaukau Nuva, but those are given. I think I'll change it up a little bit and say my least favorite pre-2003 mask, which would be the Miru. I always thought Lewa looked like he was smiling in a creepy way with the Miru.  :miru::evilbiggrin:  The Miru Nuva looked much better, IMO.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

Believe it or not, I was never a fan of the Ignika.  Always liked the VNOLG version better than the design that actually made it into sets.

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

Kongus Suletu, gosh. It looked like it was supposed to be a Makuta Kanohi. 

Speaking of Makuta Kanohi, I always disliked the Mistika Matuka masks. They looked way to bug like for me, and any 'mask' that doesn't fit on any sort of head is just a no go for me.

The Phantoka Akaku also bothers me; it looks far too similar to Nuju Metrus Matatu.

But the biggest problem with kanohi, I think, was that often different versions would look nothing like their counterparts. The worst was probably Mistika Hau, or maybe the Miru Nuva.

Speaking of Makuta Kanohi, I always disliked the Mistika Matuka masks. They looked way to bug like for me, and any 'mask' that doesn't fit on any sort of head is just a no go for me.

Personally, I was sort of fond of those masks for that very reason. Like the original Kanohi Kraahkan (at least, the way it was worn in the set), they didn't seem quite fitted to any sort of humanlike face. While they obviously would have been better if they had a more solid head underneath (so that they could be removed without exposing such a barebones non-head inside), I preferred their alien appearance to the more Toa-like masks of the Phantoka Makuta.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Nuva masks. Too big.

Inika masks (I wish they had been like normal plastic masks :( )

Mistika masks (except Gorast's, though I guess it suits my MoC of her)

Hordika masks (we call them masks, right?)

the Adaptive Miru from the Axalara T9. Wider than a Gadunka, that thing.

Garai. It's flat, wide, no mouth. Just really annoying to MoC with.

Kopaka's Adapative Akaku. KOPAKA IS NOT NUJU. Silly left-sided eyepiece :annoyed:

Not too many masks I guess... right? :P

index.jpg

Twitter: @enkindle_this

All of the Inika masks (aside from the Calix, which somehow looks fairly normal.) Too alien for my taste.

Fun fact: 'Calix' is Latin for 'chalice,' and may have ties to the Latin/Greek name Callistus/Kallistos, which means, funny enough, "most beautiful."

Edited by Silverglass
  • Upvote 1

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

• 1 month later...

My least favourite is the Calix, the style just makes it look out of place for the matoran universe and sort of pathetic. I'm fine with most if not all the other kanohi, even the Olmak, which did work as the mask for Brutaka.

My main problem with the adaptive Kaukau nuva is that is just doesn't look like a Kaukau, if it was a different mask I would say great success, but as it is a Kaukau it fails.

The Mohtrek. In terms of design for the set it was in, you would have a pretty hard time putting that into a set and making it not look like a bug. Out of all the Mistika Makuta masks, this one looks the most like an insect, and I haven't seen many (if not, any) MOCs with this mask on the headpiece.

Come on, people, the Noble Mahiki is the best! So much personality.

I gotta say, I never liked the Great Rau. It's too cartoonishly feminine and Clikits-y to be used for anything else. The best female masks are androgynous enough to be used on either gender--think the Noble Rau, the original Kaukau, the Faxon. 

Also, the less said about the Inika the better.

Right, here goes:

Organic Sanok, looks too much like a scarred, big chinned face of a cliché superhero.

Zatth, just looks... ugly? I guess?

Garai, same as above.

Hau Nuva (swamp adapted), terrible design, carries ultimately no element from its origins and overall just looks plain bad!

Kaukau Nuva (swamp adapted), same as above

Kakama Nuva (swamp adapted), same as above

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE

I gotta say, I never liked the Great Rau. It's too cartoonishly feminine and Clikits-y to be used for anything else.

I was just thinking about how picking on the later masks is like shooting fish in a barrel, and I was trying to decide on one of the earlier masks (say, pre-2006) that I disliked. The Great Rau is definitely one of them! And I wish it were also entirely opaque and the same color as the rest of Nokama, especially given that I think the only standard mask in that color is the Great Ruru.

~B~