Do you think Ninjago should be more Classic?

Banana Gunz

First off, I do realize that Ninjago is meant to be set in the present, and so it makes sense for it to have modern technologies. But when the first rumors for Ninjago started floating around, I got really excited. I never imagined giant monster trucks and motor cycles. And though it was cool, and very well one of the reasons the theme is actually as popular it is, I feel like I still crave a theme about ninjas where they don't have to be piloting mechs or jets. What about you? 

Again, it's not that I have a problem with it, in fact it's kind of funky and interesting.

And PLEASE, and I mean, PLEASE do not start ranting or preaching or trying to teach me about how genius and smart ninjago is and how it really works and makes it so much more interesting. This is a personal opinion and I want to see if anyone shares it. If it bothers you so much that this point of view exists, go make your own topic about how genius ninjago is. I'm talking to you ninjago fan-boys. Let's not make a mess here. It's all opinion and preference.

Edited by Banana Gunz

Nah, I really prefer it like it is. Generally, I prefer themes in "invented" worlds, with odd juxtapositions of familiar concepts, to ones that are more firmly rooted in a particular time period or setting. After all, I was a BIONICLE fan in part because that theme's initial "magical robots on a tropical island" imagery was so new and exciting to me.

The classic LEGO ninja theme had some interesting designs for its time (which was a dark time for LEGO design in general), but nothing about its characters or storyline was ever all that compelling to me. Perhaps with some more fantasy elements like Ninjago has, it could have been slightly more compelling — but I still doubt I would have felt any more compelled to collect the theme as an adult than I was for the Fantasy Era of LEGO Castle as a teenager. It might just have been a curiosity that I appreciated at a distance, like so many other LEGO themes. But instead, Ninjago presented me a wild and colorful world with a rich blend of magic and modernity, tradition and technology. And I think the more it embraces that, the closer it is to a truly unique sense of identity, rooted in playful anachronism and self-aware absurdity.

ehhh, initially i was kinda "what?" about it,

but tbh, the "skeleton motor punks from the underworld" thing kinda really worked the first wave,

then i went ehhh again when the ninja themselves started getting vehicles. (since a ninja is, idk, inherantly stealthy?)

but as of now, ninjago vehicles and stuff are really some of the neatest lego's ever produced! (also i'm a HUGE fan of odd juxtaposition, so i was biased from the start, oops.)

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

I think its fantastic as it is, but i loved the classic LEGO Ninja sets from the late 1990s those were just absolutely awesome, but i think Ninjago is great the way it is, set in current time and is becoming futuristic now, set in the rebooted Ninjago city which is really cool, so i think if you want that classic Ninja feel, go for some of those Ninja sets if you can find them cheap online which is difficult as of now. 

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

"OMG HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT ABOUT NINJAGO YOU POOPER" Sorry I just have to do some fanboy joke :P

Anyways real talk mod now, I somewhat agree with you but I think it would be better if it had both then just mechs and jets or just dragons and pink fluffy unicorn dancing on rainbows.

I don't have a big opinion about the classic Ninja sets because I haven't cared much about them and I only had one set from that classic theme and it was the Blaze Attack set.

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

I'm fine with Ninjago as it is. I will admit that it is a little weird seeing Ninja use vehicles and other modern technologies. But its not a 'bad' weird. Its just that modern tech is something I'm not use to Ninja using on a daily basis. It sometimes makes me forget that they actually are Ninja.

But again, I don't view it as a bad thing. In fact, I think that it is really cool and an great twist for a story about Ninjas.

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png