Set Review: 70720 Hover Hunter

70720_Hover_Hunter_Review_teaser.jpg

It's time for our first Ninjago Month set review! Today I take a look at 70720 Hover Hunter, the smallest set in the 2014 Ninjago line. Will this set's spinning saw cut its way into your heart, or will it hover alone on a store shelf? More importantly, will you be lucky enough to win a copy? You'll have to continue on and read and watch our review to find out!

View the full article

Got this set ages ago, I think its a fantastic set for its price, the spinning function is fantastic, but wait till you get to the Kai Fighter review, that feature it has is one of the best features I've seen in LEGO history, just the simplicity of how the wing feature works is brilliant

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

Got this set ages ago, I think its a fantastic set for its price, the spinning function is fantastic, but wait till you get to the Kai Fighter review, that feature it has is one of the best features I've seen in LEGO history, just the simplicity of how the wing feature works is brilliant

We actually already did a review of the Kai Fighter, so don't expect to see a second one. :P

This set looks like s really neat Ninjago set, especially for being one of the smaller ones. The minfigs look cool, that buzzsaw is awesome, and the overall look of the vehicle is impressive. I wouldn't mind winning a free copy of this at all. :)

Thanks for the review! 

Edited by Toa Smoke Monster
  • Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

This set is on my wishlist for two main reasons. First of all, it's the only set to include Cole's Transparent Green Techno-Blade. Second, I will already be getting Jay and his Techno-Blade when I get the Battle for Ninjago City anyway, so there's no need for me to get duplicates in the Thunder Raider. I will be a bit sad if I don't end up getting the Thunder Raider, since its function looks pretty awesome and it's a tremendously unique-looking vehicle, but for the moment I'm making the Hover Hunter and the Battle for Ninjago City a higher priority. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made in the name of collecting on a budget.

The Hover Hunter itself is OK, but it's a modest design that I'd be perfectly happy to pass by if not for the aforementioned reasons. The Nindroid vehicles don't excite me nearly as much as previous enemy vehicles (with the obvious exception of the Nindroid MechDragon, which is already a part of my collection). Still, this set's compact function definitely justifies its existence. I much prefer it to the smaller and less exciting Nindroid disc flyer that comes with the X-1 Ninja Charger. In any case, I rarely pressure myself to get as many enemy vehicles as Ninja vehicles. Even the more elaborate enemy vehicles can sometimes feel a bit samey due to their shared color schemes and motifs, unlike the Ninja vehicles and dragons which complement each other and their pilots.

I think the pattern on Cole's robes is supposed to be rock fissures rather than electricity, since his element is Earth and it seems consistent with the pattern that's been on most of his previous vehicles, his NRG costume, the Earth Dragon head of the Ultra Dragon, and the Earth-themed sections of the Ultra Sonic Raider (while the the elemental patterns on other characters' equivalent vehicles, dragons, and costumes have always been their respective elements).

Great review, and I look forward to seeing more Ninjago reviews later this month!

• Upvote 1

I was on the border with this set, because I though the saw blade was just going to be on a pin, which I thought was a bit of a let down. I eventually got it on sale for the techno blade, but then I was pleasantly surprised by how well the function to spin the blade actually worked. It turned out to be a very decent set, IMO, even if it is a little costly and the Nindroid drone is kinda meh.

Thanks for the review, Andrew!

:music:

Luckily for the rest of you, I've already got this set. Not even going to bother entering the contest. :P

When I heard how the function on this thing worked, I was really skeptical about it, but once I got it, I found it works really well. I spend a good few minutes just zooming it around the floor just watching it spin. :D The design is fairly unique and interesting. If you don't want to go for some of the more expensive sets, I would definitely recommend this one.

We actually already did a review of the Kai Fighter, so don't expect to see a second one. :P

Oh nice lol i didnt see that

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros