Spinnin' Out In Color Music Video

Is it just me, or were there a fair amount of girls in that video? I know Ninjago is targeted towards young boys, so I wonder if this video is a good sampling of the community? (Or perhaps more girls were likely to submit a video... or the editors just decided to pick an even distribution of girls?)

Yeah, that's what this video did for me; make me wonder about statistics of Ninjago fans.

Although the video looks fun and is a great way to incorperate the fans... the song was kinda meh.

:music:

Is it just me, or were there a fair amount of girls in that video? I know Ninjago is targeted towards young boys, so I wonder if this video is a good sampling of the community? (Or perhaps more girls were likely to submit a video... or the editors just decided to pick an even distribution of girls?)

Yeah, that's what this video did for me; make me wonder about statistics of Ninjago fans.

Although the video looks fun and is a great way to incorperate the fans... the song was kinda meh.

:music:

I noticed the diversity of the kids in the video as well. Some of it could be sampling bias related to any of the factors you mentioned. But at the same time, there are a LOT of female Ninjago fans (in an interview, the Hageman brothers said that around 30% of the show's viewers are female) and they are VERY active in online discussions. I see a lot of female Ninjago fans on deviantART, and I've heard there are also a lot of female Ninjago fans on Tumblr, though I can't say for sure since I'm not really active on Tumblr myself.

I think the song was pretty good — maybe not the best they've released this year, but still plenty of fun, with lyrics that don't try and hide their ties to the Ninjago story and brand. That's something that sometimes bugs me about both official BIONICLE music as well as some My Little Pony fan music — the lyrical connections to the source material can be rather tenuous. I've never been a fan of praise that takes the form of "you can hardly tell it's a *insert fandom/brand* song", any more than I'm fond of praising a LEGO model with "you can hardly tell it's LEGO". Any creative work feels much more engaging and less generic to me if it's clear and unapologetic about how it was made, why it was made, and what it represents.

For that reason, my least favorite of The Fold's Ninjago songs is probably "A-W-E-S-O-M-E" from 2012, which not only never directly references the Ninjago brand or the events of the story, but conveys only a generic "seize the day" message. I enjoy all of this year's songs much more, as they directly and emphatically reflect the events of the storyline.

Here's a full list of the Fold's Ninjago songs with links for those who want to hear their previous songs:

The Weekend Whip (2011), the theme song of Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu

Born to be a Ninja (2012)

Ninja, Go! (2012)

A-W-E-S-O-M-E (2012)

The Weekend Whip Michael AM Remix (2014), the theme song of Ninjago: Rebooted

After the Blackout (2014)

Full Digital (2014)

We Are Ninja (2014)

Spinnin' Out In Color (2014)

I'm very much looking forward to their next song, "Eye of the Storm", which is due for release next year according to Amazon.com. Hopefully it, too, will be a great addition to my ever-expanding Ninjago playlist on iTunes! After adding this latest song it now includes 102 songs and nearly three and a half hours of music!

Edited by Aanchir