What was the purpose of the Skakdi inside the Mata-Nui robot?

man774

In Journey's End, it has a part where Nektann thinks to himself, "Wouldn't each part of a machine have to play a role? And if so, what was the role of the skakdi?". That got me thinking, what was the purpose of the skakdi? I mean, the matoran existed to keep the robot functioning, the toa existed to protect the matoran, the makuta were created to fill the universe with rahi, the bohrok were created to clear Mata-nui's face, and the kestora were created to repair damaged beings on board the red star. But what purpose did the skakdi serve in the mata nui robot?

I always pondered the same thing, but then what are the functions of the Vortixx and Steltian species as well?

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

I'm not sure we ever got specifics. I think it's just some kind of geopolitical, physical work related, or even ecosystem related role, and we don't really need to know the specifics.

One simple theory is they might have been intended as liaisons between the water-breathing species of Ehlek, which was created near Zakaz, and air-breathing beings. No idea if this is anywhere near right, though.

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Maybe their role in the MU had something to do with the Tahtorak? Maybe the Skakdi were suppose to watch over them or something like that? Remember, the Tahtorak could walk on water to reach new lands, so maybe they were control them if/when they were needed to go to other lands? And the Skakdi were a peaceful race before Spiriah went to Zakaz, so the Skakdi could've been better suited for this task before being turned into what they are now.

It could be argued that Keetongu's species had the same role, since Tahtorak also lived on their island too. But the maybe the Skakdi were a back up in case something happened to Keetongu's species? (Which it did.) 

Of course, I reall don't have any evidence to back my theory up. This is just something I thought of on the spot. :P But I would not be surprised if the Tahtorak did have a role in the Skakdi's purpose in the MU.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Maybe their role in the MU had something to do with the Tahtorak? Maybe the Skakdi were suppose to watch over them or something like that? Remember, the Tahtorak could walk on water to reach new lands, so maybe they were control them if/when they were needed to go to other lands?

Why Skakdi? Tahtorak were nowhere near Zakaz, and the Skakdi were made by Mata Nui but the Tahtorak were Rahi made by Makuta. Their naturally very peaceful manner would be a good match for controlling powerful Rahi, though, admittedly. Maybe just in general, not a specific species?

Like you said later, I think Keetongu's species would have that role for Tahtorak.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

We know the purpose of the Matoran, but what’s the purpose of Skakdi and Vortixx and other species like that?

They all have their role to play. If you think of Matoran as red blood cells, for example, well, your body can’t function with just red blood cells. It needs other things besides that. The Vortixx, for example, make things that other species use. The Skakdi are bestial and warlike, but they also live in an important region, and by being so warlike, they keep outside invaders away from that region.

Maybe their role in the MU had something to do with the Tahtorak? Maybe the Skakdi were suppose to watch over them or something like that? Remember, the Tahtorak could walk on water to reach new lands, so maybe they were control them if/when they were needed to go to other lands?

Why Skakdi? Tahtorak were nowhere near Zakaz, and the Skakdi were made by Mata Nui but the Tahtorak were Rahi made by Makuta. Their naturally very peaceful manner would be a good match for controlling powerful Rahi, though, admittedly. Maybe just in general, not a specific species?

Like you said later, I think Keetongu's species would have that role for Tahtorak.

According to the Tahtorak's BS01 page, Tahtorak were native to Zakaz, which is why I purposed that they could have something to do with the Skakdi's purpose of existence. But your points still stand. (I knew it was a weak theory, but I was just throwing possible theories out there. :P)

• Upvote 1

pc0lX6T.png

Hm, I must have somehow missed that. Yeah, the quote is:

Tahtorak are native to both the island of Keetongu's species and to Zakaz.

Okay, could be, then. But it may be the other way around, that some Tahtorak were put there too due to the Skakdi's peaceful nature later on.

fishers, how old is that quote? It sounds like it's from before it was decided that their warlike nature was a result of Spiriah's tampering.

I like that idea - if the Skakdi were originally super peaceful, they could have filled a role as negotiators or peacekeepers. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Maybe their island was supposed to be a kind of haven or sanctuary, and they could have been intended as mediators or protectors of the island. It also could have been a rest stop for travelers to and from Metru Nui (after all, the average visitor wasn't intended to go through Karzahni).

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

fishers, how old is that quote? It sounds like it's from before it was decided that their warlike nature was a result of Spiriah's tampering.

February 26, 2010. 

Could be that is their function is now that after their transformation, and was not their original intended function. :shrugs:

6) Will the purpose of the Skakdi, what their function in the MU robot and what they are guarding, be revealed before or after Teridax’s death?

6) Probably not either. It’s not important to the story I am telling.

Notice the words "what they were guarding." This being seems to think that they were guarding something, like the previous question appears to imply. I think they may have been guarding something, even as a peaceful society. :shrugs: 

Maybe the tahtorak were placed on zakaz to guard... whatever it is... as well as the skakdi. I mean, if I somehow got past an angry horde of skakdi to get to whatever it is, I'd be pretty discouraged by seeing tahtoraks and most likely go home

• Upvote 2

they were pretty smart until skira messed with them right? maybe they were going to make upgrades to the mata nui robot?

I don't think Spiriah made all of them dumber. The Skakdi we saw in story seemed to be very smart, with all the schemes that they came up with against their foes and each other.

BS01 does say that a lot of them mentally deranged, however. But that doesn't mean that they, as a species, aren't as smart as they were before the Makuta came to their island. They just like to fight a lot more now. 

• Upvote 1

pc0lX6T.png

If I remember right, they did serve a purpose but with Spirah's interference it corrupted it. But we never found out why, and again, if I remember right Greg said he had hoped to reveal it in story but never found a way to include it in the story. But again, that is just from memory so not sure.

My personal opinion is that they guarded the realms of Karzahni and Metru Nui.

~Xeo~