BIONICLE Confirmed for 2015

^That could be a possibility. But it doesn't really leave much room for creative license. If you are going to place it at the same time as some other event, other older story events are inevitably going to come back in and be relevant, and that may cause confusion to newer fans. And there is only so much you can do with this type of story telling before it becomes just a convoluted, since you have to acknowledge the events occurring parallel to it.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

^That could be a possibility. But it doesn't really leave much room for creative license. If you are going to place it at the same time as some other event, other older story events are inevitably going to come back in and be relevant, and that may cause confusion to newer fans. And there is only so much you can do with this type of story telling before it becomes just a convoluted, since you have to acknowledge the events occurring parallel to it.

-NotS

Exactly. Running a parallel story would be a recipe for disaster, because it would be impossible for the stakes of the new story to ever surpass those of the old story without the absence of the new story's effects in the old story causing blatant contradictions. Even a continuation would be less problematic than that, because at the very least it could move in whichever direction the writers see fit.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Copying what I said here since it's relevant.

A Brickset user discovered that the Google+ post by LEGO has the original file name as the image URL, which is "Bionicle-4-new.jpg". See here: http://brickset.com/article/12344

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

And as I said there:

The word Bionicle in that image's URL is probably either an accident, or just the first thing they came up with when naming that image, or Lego messing with our heads.

Yeah. And the leaked images are fake/not Bionicle. And the image on Lego.com is fake/not Bionicle. And the 'Coming Soon' message was an error in site reorganizing. And the.......

• Upvote 1

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

And as I said there:

The word Bionicle in that image's URL is probably either an accident, or just the first thing they came up with when naming that image, or Lego messing with our heads.

Yeah. And the leaked images are fake/not Bionicle. And the image on Lego.com is fake/not Bionicle. And the 'Coming Soon' message was an error in site reorganizing. And the.......

Oh yes, yes that makes total and complete sense.

They must've done that to indoctrinate us about the new oil-fuel based product Shell is selling.

Wich will be the main stepping stone to the new world order!

rsz_fs14_2724.jpg

No, I really think Lego is teasing us.

They KNOW there are fans that would go as far as digging through webpage source-code just to glean the slightest of little somethings.

What I would do is hide a bazillion easter-eggs, sit back and watch the fans rage on (very satifying feeling that XD ).

By the way, if there HAS to be a fan name for Bionicle fans I'd go for Chroniclers.

(And its all fine by me as long as we don't degress into something like the MLP fanbase).

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE

And as I said there:

Oh yes, yes that makes total and complete sense.

They must've done that to indoctrinate us about the new oil-fuel based product Shell is selling.

Wich will be the main stepping stone to the new world order!

rsz_fs14_2724.jpg

No, I really think Lego is teasing us.

They KNOW there are fans that would go as far as digging through webpage source-code just to glean the slightest of little somethings.

What I would do is hide a bazillion easter-eggs, sit back and watch the fans rage on (very satifying feeling that XD ).

By the way, if there HAS to be a fan name for Bionicle fans I'd go for Chroniclers.

(And its all fine by me as long as we don't degress into something like the MLP fanbase).

You seem to think we haven't already. 

• Upvote 1

AΨ 94

The Bionicle fanbase has not become famous for posting overtly sexual pictures all over the internet and ruining kid's childhoods. Yet. :fear:

I..... wanted to avoid saying that XD

Besides that, DeviantArt isn't overflowing with a bazillion Bionicle art-posts per day.

Doesn't hold a whole bunch of events for cheesy reasons.

People aren't trying to marry Maku.

Or stuffing the internet chuck-full of memes.

And generally, its toys for 6 year olds with a much much more mature story revolving around it that is so big it stomps even my 15 year old brother XD

Edited by Tattorack
  • Upvote 1

I'd welcome a hard reboot if it was, some way down the line, confirmed as an alternate universe. Like how you have the main Power Rangers continuity, from Mighty Morphin' to Megaforce, but RPM is another timeline with its own rules and its own, different set of physics. We know BIONICLE exists in a multiverse, so as long as they don't use that as an excuse to tell 2001's story again without any modifications, I'd welcome a hard reboot.

That does also open all kinds of fanfic possibilities, not to mention (if they were restarted) a story serial team-up between the 'Olda' and 'Nuva' timelines.

And yes, I'm a big Power Rangers fan. Sue me.

• Upvote 2

Making brickfilms since 2007.

Check out my latest animations:

, and Avengers Tower!

The first episode of Nuva,

Magnetic Mania, is now live! Check it out!

burning_logo.jpg

The Bionicle fanbase has not become famous for posting overtly sexual pictures all over the internet and ruining kid's childhoods. Yet. :fear:

The brony community has that problem, as do pretty much ALL fan communities with a lot of 20-something men in them (Pokémon, superhero comics, etc). BIONICLE is not known for it, but if you think there isn't any childhood-ruining material out there you're sadly mistaken. Never, ever do a Google image search for Roodaka with SafeSearch off. Perhaps part of what has spared us is the BIONICLE theme's relative dearth of well-rounded female characters.

Also, I wish the BIONICLE fan community WERE more like the brony community in a lot of ways. The brony community is unbelievably creative and productive. My BIONICLE favorites folder on deviantART includes 340 BIONICLE-related items. My My Little Pony favorites folder includes 1,611 — and I've been a part of that fan community for less than three years.

Included in that folder are CGI character renders and animation rigs, 2D illustrations, plushies, cosplay, cakes and pastries, wooden automata, costume jewelry and artifacts from the show made from precious metals, LEGO models, clay sculptures, musical instruments, crossovers with other favorite franchises of mine, illustrated comics, fan fiction, animations, papercraft, and actual stained glass, among other things. Bronies team up to create elaborate animations, actual video games, and other group projects that leave a lot of the collaborations I've seen in the BIONICLE fan community in the dust (BNG, anyone?). That's not mentioning my ever-expanding playlist of over 140 fan-created My Little Pony songs.

All this is me being selective — I don't download songs or add art to my favorites if I don't genuinely love them. The stuff I add to my My Little Pony favorites is generally of a higher caliber than the stuff I add to my BIONICLE favorites. And did I mention I search for new BIONICLE-related creations on deviantART on a regular basis, ensuring I don't miss any that I might enjoy? It would be impossible for me to do that with My Little Pony, but that hasn't stopped me from discovering new creative brilliance on at least a weekly basis.

I'm not saying the BIONICLE community is not creative. But its creativity is narrowly focused. Most creative work posted to this site or any other includes sprite comics, MOCs, fan fiction, and on a good day, actual high-quality illustrations. BIONICLE-themed music, animations, cosplay, plushies, sculpture, jewelry, food products, and comics not created from spritekits are scarce. Is this honestly the best we can do? Probably, if we insist on looking down on communities that are better than us on so many levels instead of learning from them, and pretending the faults they have don't affect us or other fan communities. As a male-dominated fan community for a boy-oriented toy, we don't have the shock factor that makes the brony community (MEN who like GIRL THINGS) such a popular target for critics in the media and the general public. That doesn't mean we're any better than the brony community. Not by a longshot.

• Upvote 7

The brony community has that problem, as do pretty much ALL fan communities with a lot of 20-something men in them (Pokémon, superhero comics, etc). BIONICLE is not known for it, but if you think there isn't any childhood-ruining material out there you're sadly mistaken. Never, ever do a Google image search for Roodaka with SafeSearch off. Perhaps part of what has spared us is the BIONICLE theme's relative dearth of well-rounded female characters.

Also, I wish the BIONICLE fan community WERE more like the brony community in a lot of ways. The brony community is unbelievably creative and productive. My BIONICLE favorites folder on deviantART includes 340 BIONICLE-related items. My My Little Pony favorites folder includes 1,611 — and I've been a part of that fan community for less than three years.

Included in that folder are CGI character renders and animation rigs, 2D illustrations, plushies, cosplay, cakes and pastries, wooden automata, costume jewelry and artifacts from the show made from precious metals, LEGO models, clay sculptures, musical instruments, crossovers with other favorite franchises of mine, illustrated comics, fan fiction, animations, papercraft, and actual stained glass, among other things. Bronies team up to create elaborate animations, actual video games, and other group projects that leave a lot of the collaborations I've seen in the BIONICLE fan community in the dust (BNG, anyone?). That's not mentioning my ever-expanding playlist of over 140 fan-created My Little Pony songs.

All this is me being selective — I don't download songs or add art to my favorites if I don't genuinely love them. The stuff I add to my My Little Pony favorites is generally of a higher caliber than the stuff I add to my BIONICLE favorites. And did I mention I search for new BIONICLE-related creations on deviantART on a regular basis, ensuring I don't miss any that I might enjoy? It would be impossible for me to do that with My Little Pony, but that hasn't stopped me from discovering new creative brilliance on at least a weekly basis.

I'm not saying the BIONICLE community is not creative. But its creativity is narrowly focused. Most creative work posted to this site or any other includes sprite comics, MOCs, fan fiction, and on a good day, actual high-quality illustrations. BIONICLE-themed music, animations, cosplay, plushies, sculpture, jewelry, food products, and comics not created from spritekits are scarce. Is this honestly the best we can do? Probably, if we insist on looking down on communities that are better than us on so many levels instead of learning from them, and pretending the faults they have don't affect us or other fan communities. As a male-dominated fan community for a boy-oriented toy, we don't have the shock factor that makes the brony community (MEN who like GIRL THINGS) such a popular target for critics in the media and the general public. That doesn't mean we're any better than the brony community. Not by a longshot.

I honestly don't think that you can compare the two fandoms, simply because of their different amount of followers. The Bionicle fandom is pretty much nothing compared to the size of the MLP community. This might (and probably will) change with Bionicle's return next year, but I doubt we'll ever be close in size to fandoms like MLP or Pokémon.

Hail Denmark

Hello, friends, the news of Bionicle's return has summoned me back after centuries of absence. :P

Anyways, I am feeling so ridiculously happy now! I had long ago given up hope of ever seeing any new material, so this news is a very pleasant surprise (again, been dead here for so long I doubt most if not all of you remember me).

That mask is just gorgeous, and certainly feels fitting for Artahka (beautiful and wise with a touch of menace).

I really hope there's some continuation, but it's of course too early to tell.

Edited by Kyori
  • Upvote 3

Hello, friends, the news of Bionicle's return has summoned me back after centuries of absence. :P

Anyways, I am feeling so ridiculously happy now! I had long ago given up hope of ever seeing any new material, so this news is a very pleasant surprise (again, been dead here for so long I doubt most if not all of you remember me).

That mask is just gorgeous, and certainly feels fitting for Artahka (beautiful and wise with a touch of menace).

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but we don't know for sure if that mask's the Mask of Creation. But I suppose either way once it comes out in a set you can use it for whatever you choose!

Edited by Lyichir

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but we don't know for sure if that mask's the Mask of Creation. But I suppose either way once it comes out in a set you can use it for whatever you choose!

Rats! I thought I typed in, "if it is his mask." >.<;

Anyways, I'm excited either way; it's got to be one of the most beautiful masks I've ever seen. I'm just happy that my childhood is coming back. :D

Yeah, I don't believe its the mask of creation.

Wasn't the description of the mask "An elaborate form containing the designs of every matoran culture?"

Not sure how many cultures existed in the MU (I always presumed each element had their own culture of sorts) but this mask here appears to have just one design style (rather like Inca).

Yeah, I don't believe its the mask of creation.

Wasn't the description of the mask "An elaborate form containing the designs of every matoran culture?"

Not sure how many cultures existed in the MU (I always presumed each element had their own culture of sorts) but this mask here appears to have just one design style (rather like Inca).

It would be interesting if it's not. That would bring to question whether Artakha would ever become a set at all since if we REALLY want to get intricate, that would be hard.

At most, he'd be a very limited edition set.  I'd still hope for him to show up eventually in any case.

• Upvote 1

Set designers aren't beholden to flimsy descriptions of masks and characters in the BIONICLE storyline, let alone impossible ones. This is true whether it's a continuation or a reboot. If the set designers feel like they need to contradict a description that nobody with any design sense would ever impose on an actual product, they are fully within their rights to do so.

Greg Farshtey is an OK writer, but he is neither a product designer, a concept designer, or a graphic designer. And frankly, a designer with full creative freedom will be able to come up with much better results in general than a designer who is trying to delicately tiptoe around ridiculous written constraints.

• Upvote 4

Greg Farshtey is an OK writer, but he is neither a product designer, a concept designer, or a graphic designer. And frankly, a designer with full creative freedom will be able to come up with much better results in general than a designer who is trying to delicately tiptoe around ridiculous written constraints.

This is a great point.

Edited by Jakura Nuva

Set designers aren't beholden to flimsy descriptions of masks and characters in the BIONICLE storyline, let alone impossible ones. This is true whether it's a continuation or a reboot. If the set designers feel like they need to contradict a description that nobody with any design sense would ever impose on an actual product, they are fully within their rights to do so.

Thats lazyness if you ask me.

Any designer should be willing to the challange to make something great out of that.

To be honest, I wonder if that mask is even reserved for the first half of the line. (winter 2015) Maybe it's a Vahi-type mask?

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Any designer should be willing to the challange to make something great out of that.

No, it's not laziness. It's acknowledgment of the fact that the description given for the Mask of Creation is all style and no substance, and that to make it even remotely accurate to the description would require a level of detail which is just plain unachievable with the materials and scale an official Lego product would have to work with.

Out of a mask that's ostensibly supposed to integrate designs from every culture in the universe? Sounds to me like that would inevitably result in one thing: clutter. The real mask, no matter what it's supposed to be, looks way more cohesive than the chaotic mess that would inevitably result from trying to faithfully adhere to that grandiose description. A description like that is the very definition of the phrase "easier said than done". It doesn't take any substantial creative effort to SAY something that sounds so ambitious, but it would take a ludicrous amount of creative effort to actually depict it faithfully. It's like writing about a language that looks like a combination of every other language in the world and then calling an illustrator or designer "lazy" because they can't meet your impossible demands and know better than to try.

I almost screamed when I saw that mask, also I see connectors on the side of the mask.

Oh, the side-connector things? Those are pretty cool. I wonder if that will be the new style.

While I would prefer the old style for backwards compatibility, I would not be opposed to side-connectors; function a little more like 'masks'.

The times, they are a-changing...