OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

I'm just going to summarise my initial thoughts here:

• The mask has a nice tribal look to it (particularly the shape) - somewhat, but not entirely reminiscent of the early Polynesian inspired designs - I like this a lot. The blue background colouring also reminds me of a lot of the promotional materials from 2002 and 2003. These two factors combined, though a little to go on, are greatly reassuring as it confirms to me they're not going to transform Bionicle into something else and are sticking true to its roots (when I say this I'm referring primarily to the visual style of the sets and characters and hopefully the atmosphere of the storyline). Incidentally, the mask looks a little bit like a gold Great Kanohi Mahiki or Avsa with a crown. (EDIT: It actually kind of looks like a combination of some of the 2008 Makuta Kanohi kind of. :P) Purely coincidental I'm sure though. :P
  • Between the grand significance of this Kanohi (I'm like 99.9% sure it'll be Kanohi :P), the gold colouring, crown like appearance and energy wrapped around it - I'm pretty sure this will be a legendary Kanohi, or if not a very special Kanohi of similar or greater power or significance (in which case for convenience I suspect it will be legendary as that what a legendary Kanohi is as a plot device really. :P) As to whether it's the only legendary Kanohi we know of but haven't seen - the mask of creation - it seems a decent bit likely given its appearance and how its one of the things fans have talked about for a long time but never been "given" exactly. If it is the mask of creation I think that would be very cool in terms of finally getting to see its power in action and maybe even Artakha doing some cool stuff. That being said, it could be an entirely new Kanohi with its own new exciting possibilities that come with that which I would also be happy with. It could also possible be the Ignika (I doubt the Vahi, or Avohkii or any other important Kanohi) in a different form for example, however I don't really feel this will be the case.
  • There appears to be some writing of some sort on the mask - whilst this could be purely decorative I've noticed in the past these type of things always tend to get mentioned in the story to some extent. The language (assuming it is writing) doesn't appear like anything I've seen before in the Bionicle storyline - but if anyone else think it looks similar to anything else, that would be very interesting.
  • The background appears to be some sort of stone with a crack in it? It's hard to discern, I heard one member mention it looks like space - which I guess it could be (and I think that makes more sense given where the story left off), but either way not much we can deduce from this image. That being said if we could tell the background, in the past that has given a fair bit of insight into the setting of the storyline for the year, so as more surfaces I think it will be worth analysing. :)
  • The crown may not just indicate the importance of the mask, but perhaps this mask is a symbol of leadership? Maybe we could have a sort of King Arthur like sword in the stone storyline? Or the mask belongs to the ruler of a kingdom/domain of some sort? Either way I think this could be a possibility if the design isn't purely just to show its importance as it definitely looks quite regal. :)
  • The energy is distinctly blue, somewhat electric and in a spiral. I'd say this is meant to be general "magic energy" and not a specific element or power such as electricity or lightning. I do think this energy will have some great significance however as it is quite prominent in the image - perhaps something similar to the lightning from the Red Star which featured in 2006? Obviously I don't mean something specifically like this, but it will definitely important as the designer has made it very obvious - in fact placing in front of the subject of the image.

Ok I'll leave it there, just some stream of consciousness thoughts there, will be thinking about this more properly for a while I suspect. Very very excited. :)

Edited by Adventurer
  • Upvote 2
photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

As for the mask, it looks like it's going to be as iconic as the Ignika, so I'm guessing that it's either the Mask of Creation, the Ignika in a new form, or an entirely new mask.

Personally, I don't think the Ignika is much of a possibility, seeing as it's pretty much played out at this point, what with being a major focal point/macguffin for nearly half of the line's original run.

The Mask of Creation is a possibility, though that raises the question: what happened to Artakha? Perhaps that's what kicks off the new story.

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

It could always be the Mask of Time.

I think it looks too different from the Vahi for that to be it, not only that but I think the Vahi has been used before by characters we would have reappearing in some way or another so the history there makes me feel that isn't what they're going with. The Ignika is possible in terms of appearance and the story did end in a way that puts it in a position where it could easily be included in a new story. However as said elsewhere, its story has kind of run already and in fact it was the last story we had (the last four years of Bionicle were basically the Ignika's story, heck you could even say all of it was in some way). I feel a new legendary mask or the mask of creation is far more likely. :)

• Upvote 2
photo-50441.gif

Aww yee. As an daily rider of the hype train since day one, it makes me feel squishy inside to know that we keep getting closer and closer to "told ya so" territory.

As to what mask this might be, I'm going to agree with Makuta Miras and Solomon Kane in that it's probably the Mask of Creation.

:hau:

Comics coming eventually: The Bionicles Try to Run A House

Upcoming MOCs: Sir Lesovikk, New Tokotoru.

Current MOCs: ROTF Ravage.

Dead MOCs: The Tokotoru, this fire monster, this turtle.

This topic. Love it and cherish it. Do it for the lulz.

All I can see is the cracked slab background with the "starburst" overlay of the mask which kinda makes a cursive-looking image.

Question for you, Makaru - how is the image you guys found any different than the images others have been finding (other than the fact that the images we have violate the policies)? How come it doesn't violate the Leaked Content Policy?

Because this was found on Lego.com itself. It's an official promo image found in a public [albeit unlinked] section of the actual site.

• Upvote 2

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

All I can see is the cracked slab background with the "starburst" overlay of the mask which kinda makes a cursive-looking image.

Question for you, Makaru - how is the image you guys found any different than the images others have been finding (other than the fact that the images we have violate the policies)? How come it doesn't violate the Leaked Content Policy?

Because this was found on Lego.com itself. It's an official promo image found in a public [albeit unlinked] section of the actual site.

But if Lego hasn't released an official website/teaser site for it yet, how can it not count as leaked?

Edited by Jakura Nuva
  • Upvote 1

My reaction to this news follows:

*Faints*

*Gets up*

*Screams for joys*

*Runs around house in uncontrollable excitement*

*Faints again*

That is my reaction to this news. :P

Anyway, I really like the look of this new mask. I agree with Adventurer's post above that there could be writing on it, but its hard for me to say. But I do know one thing: I can't wait to learn more about it. :)

• Upvote 2

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

If they want us to remove it, we will remove it. I'll go scorched earth on this topic. But as of this moment, Lego has not asked us to, and the specifics of this image are not bound by the Leaked Content policy.

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 8

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Let's make the best of the image while it's still here to be discussed. Even though Lego likely didn't want us seeing it, it technically isn't barred by our leaks policy, so I'm all cool with it. And the mask itself does look awesome. Besides, it's made its way into a few dozen avatars already, and it shall soon be circulating all throughout the interweb. It's too late for Lego to stop it. The cat is out of the bag, and the rumours are confirmed. We win, the naysayers lose. YAY!!!

• Upvote 1

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

The Bionicle 2015 topic is dead! Long live the Bionicle 2015 topic!

Man, I'm so hyped right now. It feels great knowing without a shadow of a doubt that Bionicle is coming back.

And I do think that the Mask on the Product page picture is the finalized version of the one on the leak. It does look different (I'm almost getting 2006 Ignika vibes off of it) but the leak version was very likely a prototype, and Bionicle has a history of having wildly different prototypes from the finished version (see also the Ignika) .

andromeda_m31_slideshow.jpg

Ummm does anyone else see the obvious resemblence betqeen the Mask of Scavenging and this whateveritis?

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090922034202/bionicle/images/1/18/Mask_of_Vulture.PNG

• Upvote 2

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

All I can honestly say is, whatever that mask is, I WANT it. I hope it would be the Mask of Creation, because we really need that final Legendary Kanohi. We need it because no one really explained what happened to Artahka and the inhabitants, and Kharzani is dead! I just don't really know what is going to happen, but hey. IT'S BIONICLE. Where are you going to go wrong with that?

I give many of my gratitude to the Lego company, and with the new sets, my money. I plan on building the new sets next year, maybe even all of them. SO HURRY UP LEGO.

*squee*

That mask is darn cool.

I'm seriously freaking out internally right now.

Guess it's time to listen to Hero.

oh and gatanui deserves like 2239399998383 proto points for this

Edited by Kopekemaster
  • Upvote 1
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I am so happy we can finally talk about this. I have a question, though.

If this mask is indeed the same golden mask from the first picture it has changed drastically. Does lego really change things that dramatically from a prototype? They look like completely different masks.

Also, in the HF subforum, someone needs to change the description because it currently says "The Bionicle line of sets may have ended but Hero Factory is here now." What about something like "Discuss the successor of the original Bionicle line here"?

If they basically confirmed it themselves, why can't we talk about the leaks ?

They didn't exactly advertise this image - and the point still stands the leaks weren't released by them and may not be representative of their final product they wish to advertise. It'd be like an author having half their book stolen and spread before it was finished - it'd ruin the book and damage their ability to profit from it.

Edited by Adventurer
photo-50441.gif