OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

I'm more interested in finding out what prompted Lego to revive BIONICLE. Was Hero Factory not selling? Did they think there was sufficient fan interest?

I'd love to see an interview with an exec in the near future.

Yeah Lego never really discloses that kind of information for some reason and I really wish they did. Maybe someone can ask Greg one day, too bad he can't be on this site.

-NotS

He's contactable on the Lego Message Boards, I believe.

I'm putting my money on fan interest though.

I'm more interested in finding out what prompted Lego to revive BIONICLE. Was Hero Factory not selling? Did they think there was sufficient fan interest?

Yeah Lego never really discloses that kind of information for some reason and I really wish they did. Maybe someone can ask Greg one day, too bad he can't be on this site.

-NotS

Huh, shame.

I wasn't around when the rule was created that Greg couldn't be on this site anymore. Why was that?

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

-NotS

Huh, shame.

I wasn't around when the rule was created that Greg couldn't be on this site anymore. Why was that?

-NotS

If I recall correctly from my pre-account lurking days, it was something to do with him not being allowed to talk to people under the age of 13 for... I think COPPA reasons? Legal isssues, anyway. And BZPower has preteens and under on it who aren't even lying about their age.

• Upvote 1

I write stories, on occasion. Finishing them... yeah, uh. That's another thing entirely.

Avatar made with the Rayg Kit 2.5, and featuring Lilak, Toa of Lightning.

She is totally, totally not a shameless self-insert. Y'know, except for the part where she is. :D

Maybe they decided to bring it back now because they finally thought up a plan for it that they liked? I don't think it was because of a surge in fan interest, as I don't think there's been anything like that in the past few years aside from the discussion explosion due to the 2015 leaks. Heck, maybe they just decided that the market was ripe for Bionicle to come back.

Or maybe, since HF moved to Minifigure scale CCBS mechs and monsters this year, they found that conventional constraction figures aren't selling well any more and decided to take another shot at Bionicle to see if the brand would help sales.

andromeda_m31_slideshow.jpg

Friday's announcement IS Bionicle.

Check the filename on the teaser image from Lego's Google+ page: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-HxDScdVnC7M/VBb_cE8hkVI/AAAAAAAAfHg/GrrJrOoFmF0/s865-no/Bionicle-4-new.jpg20140915-4177-5fuc51.jpg

Thanks to Meiko for the tip!

Interesting, but I'd like to point out that you can modify the URL as much as you want, and it still works. Like this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-HxDScdVnC7M/VBb_cE8hkVI/AAAAAAAAfHg/GrrJrOoFmF0/s865-no/bananananananailoveeatingbananasheheheicanchangethisurlasmuchasiwantnew.jpg20140915-4177-5fuc51.jpg

Not saying that's what happened, but LEGO could, possibly, be trying to throw us off the trail.

Naw, they wouldn't do that.

Would they?

No, if you check the url yourself it has BIONICLE in it. Go here https://plus.google.com/+LEGO/posts/CQvGfMEGjJ2?pid=6059311206502601042&oid=118199612297395338408 and click view image and you can see Bionicle-4-new.jpg in the title. ;)

Haha, okay. I just wanted to bring it up. (I don't really get the point of those modify-able URLs, anyway.)

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

GregFs blog and the answers topic were the only thing keeping me around this site in the last years. Shame we won't get it again.

Still, a Bionicle Reboot looks promising although in my now much more critical-minded state i'll probably just buy the books to whine about them on this place.

I feel like there are no wrong answers when it comes to why Lego decided to bring back Bionicle, or rather no definite answer. I'm sure there are multiple reasons that all add up to support Lego's decision. And Lego is not the type of company to make a theme that they don't think has a chance at success. They really think things through.

It's dissapointing that Greg can't talk to us directly here on BZP. I saw someone mentioned that it was because he can't talk directly to kids under twelve but that doesn't make sense to me because the Lego Message Boards are probably teeming with kids under that age (or at least last I checked, I haven't been there in years). Being able to talk and connect with your story-teller openly is really cool and not a chance people usually get. But it could be worse; at least we can still talk to him on the Lego Message boards.

• Upvote 1

New images?  What might you be talking about?  (read: we're not supposed to discuss the leaks, man)

• Upvote 3

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

what is the point of this thread if we can not discuss leaked information on the topic?

because we know bionicle'll be back soon enough and the leaked information can't stay leaks forever.

in as little as 3 (2? is it 2 now?) days we will have stuff to discuss. :U

nice! I am hyped 

Also, this is a theory thread for how it will end up being. Because, to be honest, we don't know whether it will be a reboot, a continuation, or whatever. This is the reason this thread is currently here.

Then once it is announced, we can discuss it.

(Also, you find it hard to not talk of leaks on this thread when we HAVE a picture that is not considered leaked? You should have seen the old "Rumour" thread.)

NOTE: sorry if that came off as rude, I just see too many people wondering if the actually illegally leaked content can now be put up. -.-

Edited by Heontris
  • Upvote 1

Online presences (main ones, at least):

DeviantART: Heontris

YouTube: Heontris

Anything else with the name Heontris is also me. As far as I know.

"Don't be a night owl, it gets boring after the first 6 hours." - Me right now

YES!! FINALLY!!!!

Ok i'm good now....... YES YES YES IT'S COMING BACK I'M SO EXCITED!!!!

Ok ok for real now, my thoughts.

I am really excited (like it wasn't obvious :P) that it is officially returning, I just have a couple of thing in the back of my mind saying this could go completely horrible.

First off: a majority of me is hoping these up and coming sets will continue the story that Lego left off in 2009/2010. The other part of me is saying they will reboot the story, so I started to think about that. And I am perfectly ok with Lego restarting the story. I just really want them to make a metaphorical bridge between this timeline and the timeline that was left off in 2009/2010. If they don't and decide to completely ignore the old story line then I will be hurt beyond repair. From someone who came from just loving the toys for their play ability, to spending years learning the story from the beginning to the end, and all the little tidbits in between (that includes rereading the books many times since then :P) it would just seem unnatural for Lego to do something like that.

Second: (still related to the story) my second concern is that who will write this story? I personally hope that Lego brings back Greg Farshtey to continue (or restart) the story. I personally loved his story telling and would love to see him back writing the Chronicles Of Bionicle once again.

Now these are just my thoughts/hopes for the upcoming story of the up in coming Bionicle sets.

Now as the Mask goes i'm assuming its the Mask of Creation. Although if Lego does decide to restart the story I'd Assume it will be a new Legendary Mask. Even if they don't restart the story line and still make it a new Legendary mask I am completely ok with that.

Edit: I relise im late to the party :P

Edited by MakutaMiserix

Ah hello everybody, it's my first time posting on this forum so ah nice to meet all of ya, anyway on to the topic at hand, I personally believe this is a reboot that will take large inspiration from the earlier years of the theme. I also believe that the mask in the thumbnail is an entirely new mask that will take inspiration from the previous line(and might even share the same name as say one of the previous gold masks). As for the story, I have no idea, and I don't believe I'm allowed to talk about the awesome images.

• Upvote 1

It's time to move on.

Ah hello everybody, it's my first time posting on this forum so ah nice to meet all of ya, anyway on to the topic at hand, I personally believe this is a reboot that will take large inspiration from the earlier years of the theme. I also believe that the mask in the thumbnail is an entirely new mask that will take inspiration from the previous line(and might even share the same name as say one of the previous gold masks). As for the story, I have no idea, and I don't believe I'm allowed to talk about the awesome images.

Yeah, no leaked images discussion, but don't worry. If everything goes as expected, there should be some reveals on Friday.

I feel like there are no wrong answers when it comes to why Lego decided to bring back Bionicle, or rather no definite answer. I'm sure there are multiple reasons that all add up to support Lego's decision. And Lego is not the type of company to make a theme that they don't think has a chance at success. They really think things through.

It's dissapointing that Greg can't talk to us directly here on BZP. I saw someone mentioned that it was because he can't talk directly to kids under twelve but that doesn't make sense to me because the Lego Message Boards are probably teeming with kids under that age (or at least last I checked, I haven't been there in years). Being able to talk and connect with your story-teller openly is really cool and not a chance people usually get. But it could be worse; at least we can still talk to him on the Lego Message boards.

People can talk to him over there because those boards are owned directly by LEGO and not fan-made.

Greg left this site due to a rigorous policy about child interaction that Lego introduced in early 2011 (incidentally just before the long downtime) that didn't allow their employees to talk to children under thirteen. There was a plan at the time to create a forum here available only to members over thirteen that Greg could remain in, but that never happened.

Greg left this site due to a rigorous policy about child interaction that Lego introduced in early 2011 (incidentally just before the long downtime) that didn't allow their employees to talk to children under thirteen. There was a plan at the time to create a forum here available only to members over thirteen that Greg could remain in, but that never happened.

Did something prevent them from actually doing that, or did we just not really get around to making that forum? My hope is that it's the latter and that it'll become a possibility again.

• Upvote 1

sig8.png

That plan was quite firmly scrapped on the premise that people could just lie about their age to get into the special forum.

Yeah, because people totally aren't lying about their age on the Lego message boards....

The whole situation is just screwed up.  -_-

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

That plan was quite firmly scrapped on the premise that people could just lie about their age to get into the special forum.

Yeah, because people totally aren't lying about their age on the Lego message boards....

The whole situation is just screwed up.  -_-

To specify - the policy regarded interaction on other sites. Lego's own site and forums are exempt from it because they have full knowledge of and control over everything that happens there.

Edited by Sir Kohran
  • Upvote 1

I've posted this elsewhere, but my one concern is that this new line will be "Bionicle Lite," stripped of most, if not all, of the more cerebral qualities the original plot had. Worst-case scenario, it ends up being Chima Factory: Chi Planet with the name "BIONICLE" tacked onto it. We won't know for sure until it actually drops, but given LEGO's current trend towards lighter, more commercial-driven franchises, I'm not holding my breath.

In the time before time, the great spirit Gatanui descended from the heavens of uncertainty bringing we, the other BZPers to this paradise. But we were seperate and without purpouse, so he illuminated us with the three virtues: Hype, Impatience and Official Bionicle 2015 pictures. But our happiness was not to last- Lego was angry at Gatanui's finding of the three virtues he tried so hard to hide, so he tried to cast Gatanui and the other BZPers into a deep slumber. It didn't work. The Hype Train has no brakes.

• Upvote 6

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

In the time before time, the great spirit Gatanui descended from the heavens of uncertainty bringing we, the other BZPers to this paradise. But we were seperate and without purpouse, so he illuminated us with the three virtues: Hype, Impatience and Official Bionicle 2015 pictures. But our happiness was not to last- Lego was angry at Gatanui's finding of the three virtues he tried so hard to hide, so he tried to cast Gatanui and the other BZPers into a deep slumber. It didn't work. The Hype Train has no brakes.

This needs to be a gif. Someone please paste this text over the Mask of Light intro.

bBhcfWO.png

The greatest thing.  :D

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )