OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

The mask being forged 'by magic' is an interesting point which I don't think has really been discussed yet.
'Magic' has never really existed properly in BIONICLE as named force as far as I can recollect.

This might hint at a slightly new direction?

- Roki 

sigflower4.png

Today is National Butterscotch Pudding Day!

Today is National POW/MIA Recognition Day!

Today is National Tradesmen Day!

Today is National Woman Road Warrior Day!

Today is Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Today is Bionicle Reborn Day!

Today is also September 19, but no one really cares about that.

• Upvote 3

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

Over on the LMBs Greg has discussed his involvement in the new line and has hinted it will be a reboot. Link's here:

https://community.lego.com/t5/LEGO-General/Chat-with-Greg-Farshtey/td-p/6605180/page/464

Hmm, intriguing. It could go either way, really. Just keeping it ambiguous for now. 

Greg has now confirmed that he is not writing the 2015 story over on the LEGO forums.

My involvement has been doing some consulting work on the story, providing some feedback, stuff like that. I did not write the new story.

-Roki

Huh, so he didn't write the story? Interesting. I like this. He deserves to be on the story team, and his role seems like it will be important yet not all-encompassing. I am very excited to see where the new writer takes this franchise.

Also I just noticed that the Mask of Creation pattern seems to be that of the Nuva symbols. That's intriguing for sure!

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

The mask being forged 'by magic' is an interesting point which I don't think has really been discussed yet.

'Magic' has never really existed properly in BIONICLE as named force as far as I can recollect.

- Roki 

I'm glad you brought this up, too. It's kinda been bugging me since the reveal. Does this mean magic is in the Bionicle universe now? I would've preferred the word "protodermis" instead. But we'll see where this goes.

TAK

• Upvote 1

[MNOLG The Movie Website]

rsz_1onua1024.png
Need to start a poll? Or start a topic in Games & Trivia? PM me!

- Roki 

I'm glad you brought this up, too. It's kinda been bugging me since the reveal. Does this mean magic is in the Bionicle universe now? I would've preferred the word "protodermis" instead. But we'll see where this goes.

TAK

They're aiming for a new audience. Magic is a universal term but newcomers won't know what protodermis is.

As for this whole "magic" shtick, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure it refers to the mystical style of Bionicle itself (as it seems they are regressing from the more scientific approach of latter years), rather than magic actually becoming a component of the universe. To be honest, magic in Bionicle wouldn't even be that bad. It's not out of the realm of possibility.

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

Greg was brought into the Bionicle 2015 discussion back in early spring.  That's how far back they planned it.  Which may cast some credibility on certain leaks....

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Hopefully we'll learn if "magic" is a thing or not by NYCC. But the possiblity to use that to describe the properities in the Bionicle universe hadn't come to mind.

Still, everything seems to be lining up to something special. There's still so much that we don't know lore-wise. I can't wait to delve into it again.

TAK

rsz_1onua1024.png

Greg was brought into the Bionicle 2015 discussion back in early spring.  That's how far back they planned it.  Which may cast some credibility on certain leaks....

That's when Greg was brought on yes, but according to him, they were already pretty far into planning by the time he joined. 

And was there any doubts about the leaks being real? Those were industry-standard renders, so yes they were legit leaks. Not many people will go out of their way to fake something to that extent. 

-NotS

• Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

Hopefully we'll learn if "magic" is a thing or not by NYCC. But the possiblity to use that to describe the properities in the Bionicle universe hadn't come to mind.

Still, everything seems to be lining up to something special. There's still so much that we don't know lore-wise. I can't wait to delve into it again.

TAK

I'm thinking that they're not going to delve too far into the old lore. It'd add a lot more stuff to the new things they're planning that might be overly convoluted or the like.

TAK

I'm thinking that they're not going to delve too far into the old lore. It'd add a lot more stuff to the new things they're planning that might be overly convoluted or the like.

I agree with this. And even if they did bring back terms like protodermis, it would make sense to introduce to the audience through the story rather than through press release/promotional material. Especially if they are also trying to cater to kids who have never heard of Bionicle before. 

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

That's okay, that makes us wiser now... right?

Does anyone else think that Bionicle might be exploring space in the new story? After 2010 onwards it's been touched upon via the giant robot bodies being able to soar through it. It may provide an avenue for... aliens of all things? Or whatever constitutes as such in the Bionicle world.

TAK

rsz_1onua1024.png

Does anyone else think that Bionicle might be exploring space in the new story? After 2010 onwards it's been touched upon via the giant robot bodies being able to soar through it. It may provide an avenue for... aliens of all things? Or whatever constitutes as such in the Bionicle world.

TAK

That moment when you realize that you're now a Turaga.

- Roki

• Upvote 6
sigflower4.png

TAK

- Roki

By the ending of 2017 we'll tell them: "You are not the first fans" and they will discover the ancient legends of Metru Nui  BZPower

Edited by HoloTheWise
  • Upvote 6

TAK

- Roki

By the ending of 2017 we'll tell them: "You are not the first fans" and they will discover the ancient legends of Metru Nui BZPower

And then by two years later of us talking of olden days, they'll be tired of us and leave us because we are grouchy old Turaga. XP

• Upvote 3

Online presences (main ones, at least):

DeviantART: Heontris

YouTube: Heontris

Anything else with the name Heontris is also me. As far as I know.

"Don't be a night owl, it gets boring after the first 6 hours." - Me right now

TAK

Aliens? Hmm...

"Are you Toa Tahu, bearer of the Golden Armor?" 

"..Yeah." 

"My name is Optimus Prime."

• Upvote 6

^Don't even go there! :P

This topic just got meta.

They'll probably explain the Elemental powers as magic, too.

Hopefully not, but like others have said, I'm not going to rule it out.

Maybe the Element Lords will make an apperance as well, there's got to be a reason why they're being called "Masters" instead of Toa. They transended the name somehow?

TAK

• Upvote 2

rsz_1onua1024.png

I am Turaga PrismWind. I still very much prefer 2001 but it'll be interesting to see a Bionicle TV Show. Unfortunately I think that it will be rather cheesy but whatevs
Whatever I'm still buying them so my argument is kinda pointless.

Edit: Watch out for that leaked information. Go with what we have from LEGO!

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 2

They'll probably explain the Elemental powers as magic, too.

Well, good. Because that's what elemental powers and mask powers have always been — magic. Doesn't matter how much technobabble they invoke to try and make it SOUND science-fictiony, it still boils down to magic in the end.

Honestly, a big part of what made BIONICLE so interesting was always the magical elements of its storytelling. They just weren't always forthright about it. I mean, how do you think the Staff of Artakha was able to repair anything and everything, or the Staff of Fusion was able to fuse two individual beings together? How do you think the same hypergeneric substance, Protodermis, can be transmuted into masks and disks that can do pretty much anything under the sun? Certainly there was never any SCIENTIFIC explanation given for these things. For all intents and purposes, they were magical powers.

I for one am glad that the new BIONICLE theme seems to be taking a fairly forthright approach to this sort of thing. It's much simpler than starting off by cloaking everything in a bunch of technobabble that complicates things but doesn't actually explain them.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 6

I'm glad Greg is at least a part of the story team, but I'm also really interested to see what the story will be like with someone new telling it. NYCC can't come soon enough! 

TAK

- Roki

I guess I'll have to change my username to 'Turaga Smoke Monster' then. :P

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I just glanced at the BS01 page on the Mask of Creation, and I noticed something interesting: The Mask of Creation does not reflect all of the cultures in the MU.  Rather, its designs reflect various cultures.  That might be easier to pull off.

I hope the new bonkles have a newer head mold similiar to the ones in 2001~2003

One question, why are you set on having the old style heads back? Sure they may have looked cool for some people, but if it was a continuation, they'd want the Glatorian heads to fit as well, most likely, so heads in the style of the old ones wouldn't look very nice. (Remember, those things had a fat jaw, and it doesn't look right with Glatorian helmets.)

Also, even with the sets from that time, the masks often looked weird with that design, not to mention most of the later masks, so why would they want weird-faced guys for everyone?

(Thirdly, it is an old design, it has been gone since the end of 2003 I believe... (Whenever Metru Nui started) (and that reminds me, that head shape was associated with Mata Nui robot at the end, showing that those faces were the ones made back in that time of nearly forever ago, and the faces on everyone has changed since then (current is Metru head I believe, but even that will probably change, as that stuff is no longer being made.)))

The long Metru head is really strange, and the Inika one is awful because it has no compatibility. The 2001-2003 head looks more human-like.

... Fit masks in Glatorian heads ? What ? If there's going to be Toa and Glatorian in this new Reboot/Continuation, they must have different head molds.

One of my main complaints about the original run of Bionicle was that the heads changed every few years, meaning that some masks weren't compatible with certain heads. The biggest example of this was with the 2006 Inika heads and masks, which are only compatible with each other. The best heads were the Metru ones in my opinion because they could still wear the masks from '01-'03 (with the exception of Krana) while being able to wear the newer masks as well. So if LEGO intends to bring in a new head mold, which is what will most likely happen, I hope they stick with it.

And another thing; I hope they bring back variation in the eye colors. Between '06 and '08 the green and orangish eyes were far too common.

I just noticed something

The new mask has these things in the right and left

tumblr_nc5rjrHlYl1qm9p5uo2_250.png

Similar to this visor piece:

tumblr_nc5rjrHlYl1qm9p5uo1_250.gif

Cold this be the new head-mask attachment ?

That looks pretty neat actually. Maybe it could be a hint towards the new head mold having a face design similar to the '09 heads? Edited by Katanga
  • Upvote 1

What are the whispering voices in the background of that video?  Any thoughts?  Maybe the Great Beings?

I heard the sound effect from the intro of the BIONICLE films with the raining LEGO bricks that formed the logo. I keep hearing it described as whispers, I honestly don't hear it.

- Roki

After I saw this comment I'm seriously considering changing my username name to Turaga Jack. (my first name)

Follow the light...

The Hype Train will take you to it

Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JTHStudio

Also, watch my new BIONICLE Short: "How BIONICLE Really Came Back" http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15938-how-bionicle-really-came-back-a-brickfilm/