OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

I wonder why the sets used the yellow "gear" piece when they all also include the black one too, which looks far better

Same reason Dragon Bolt had a big red eyesore in the middle of its back: they want functions to be noticeable

You mean the hand-grip pieces to spin the gears? As far as I can tell, all the gears are gray. And frankly, if that's what you mean, those parts are in a lot of sets - I have more than a few black ones from Speeda that I'm not opposed to swapping out. (Can't wait to see that bike with gold spikes on yellow. :P)

Which brings another boon - no open backs. Problem solved there. :)

I'd be quite happy if what we saw was antagonists who aren't necessarily tied to a Big Bad, and this story sets up the perfect motivation for such antagonists: the Mask of Ultimate Power. What corrupt, power-hungry individual WOULDN'T want to find that mask?

Teridax. 

Well, okay, he would find it, but then he would give it to one of his most upstart minions, and when it backfires heavily on them and they die, he would examine why they did. Then he would go through as many minions as necessary to figure out all the ways it could backfire, and create contingency plans for each one. 

That is, if some Toa didn't steal it before that. In which case he would probably try to destroy it until a lone rogue Toa tells him that if he does that he will destroy all power in the universe, including his...

Its a strange feeling. My recommendation is to never get it.

Why not? Not getting things usually snowballs and causes problems later...

• Upvote 1

Has anyone found official solicitation pictures for the Lord of Skull Spiders yet?

~|ET|~

Wasn't it on the article with the prices on the main page?

There's only an in-packaging picture there. I'm looking for one on a white background like all the others have already.

(At least I think it hasn't... I'm not seeing it anywhere.)

~|ET|~

Edited by Electric Turahk

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Do you think the transparent hau's will have any sort of story relevance, or Lego was just "what the heck, why not" when they thought up the idea.

They could make for a nice toa of crystal.

Also, do you fellows think we'll think we'll get masks in multiple colors? I'd love to see that but I'm thinking that it's not gonna be a thing.

Edited by Banana Gunz

What corrupt, power-hungry individual WOULDN'T want to find that mask?

*Raises hand*

When something has "ultimate power" plastered over it I feel inclined to question it... a lot.

That is because you have the privilege of being the audience and being aware of the conventions of genre. Evil villains and overlords in fiction rarely have that privilege, because if they did then there would likely be nothing with "ultimate power" plastered over it in the first place.

I think the people who were concerned with Teridax's "all according to plan" mentality in the original Bionicle should take heart that the very first story content we're privy to features Makuta creating a scheme to seize ultimate power and that scheme being an unquestionable failure. Not only was he controlled by his own creation, but the mask was stripped from him before he could do much harm with it–and even if the latter could later be retconned as part of a master plan, I don't see any way the former could.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

So how are they going to tell an entire wave's story in 90 second online videos? Do you think there will be a lot of them, like 10 or 20?

There will indeed be a lot of them. The art director from Advance was extremely excited about them.

• Upvote 5

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

*snip*

I find one of the few most key awesome parts being that these guys contain a good bit of technic bits besides the HF construction.

You know, I'm actually not sure how I should feel about this.

I feel both really excited and really disappointed.

Its a strange feeling. My recommendation is to never get it.

The new sets do contain a lot of technic. This and functions are something I did not expect since they released CCBS (actually even before that when they simplified constraction with designs like the inika build).

I'm very pleased with this though. It allows for easy MOC'ing and building but still allows people to have complex and interesting sets with functions and technicality. It's the best of both worlds! (Cue the awful Hannah Montana music!)

Well, they're hardly the first CCBS sets to use Technic extensively. A lot of the Invasion from Below sets include about as much Technic as CCBS. I think there might be more Technic in Breez Flea Machine than in some of the new Toa.

• Upvote 1

That is because you have the privilege of being the audience and being aware of the conventions of genre. Evil villains and overlords in fiction rarely have that privilege, because if they did then there would likely be nothing with "ultimate power" plastered over it in the first place.

I think the people who were concerned with Teridax's "all according to plan" mentality in the original Bionicle should take heart that the very first story content we're privy to features Makuta creating a scheme to seize ultimate power and that scheme being an unquestionable failure. Not only was he controlled by his own creation, but the mask was stripped from him before he could do much harm with it–and even if the latter could later be retconned as part of a master plan, I don't see any way the former could.

I think it's unrealistic that in a lot of fictional universes, including this one, there are no characters who write fiction. This trope of having no writers of tales can get irritating because if there was a group of people who did write, they would realize all the evil overlord fails. 

Which is interesting because Bionicle purposefully kicks this trope to the curb - there were Turaga who told legends in 2001, and this was established pretty upfront. Even this story being a legend implies that it is a story commonly retold on Okoto. Anyone in-story who has heard this story would know how to avoid some of the classic world take-over mistakes. 

It implies that the traditions of storytelling and the conventions of genre are developing on Okoto, and this story occurred before that was a thing, seeing as it may have started it. Even more interesting, this story may not be fully true in every single detail either, and twisted to form a simple lesson about jealously by a didactic storyteller. Remember those old 2001 Turaga stories that were mostly true but didn't give all the details? This may be the same way. 

We probably don't know the full story lol - this is Bionicle. We're not on the HF planet anymore. (Yeeeees...)

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 2

Teridax. 

Well, okay, he would find it, but then he would give it to one of his most upstart minions, and when it backfires heavily on them and they die, he would examine why they did. Then he would go through as many minions as necessary to figure out all the ways it could backfire, and create contingency plans for each one. 

That is, if some Toa didn't steal it before that. In which case he would probably try to destroy it until a lone rogue Toa tells him that if he does that he will destroy all power in the universe, including his...

what a boring villain

i hope he doesnt come back with that attitude

What corrupt, power-hungry individual WOULDN'T want to find that mask?

*Raises hand*

When something has "ultimate power" plastered over it I feel inclined to question it... a lot.

I mean...technically, it wasn't wrong for him to make the Mask. Objectively speaking, it's way more efficient to have a Mask that controls all of the elements. Plus, he made the Mask, so the "Mask of Ultimate Power" is only named such because he decided to name it. All we know right now is that he's just a little jealous that people like Ekimu's Masks more.

Well, we also know that mask with more than one element is far too dangerous, A classic tale of how power corrupts, this time told without an addict Australian.

I'm kind of hoping we'll see a slow rise for this Makuta, like an evolution of him from this slightly jealous dude to this sociopathic mastermind over the course of the story.

Ekimu also has the Mask of Creation, which would help him with making his masks better. That's probably why the matoran liked his masks better.

But like I've said, I'm really liking Makuta's plot arc a lot better than his old one. I feel like I'm being shown rather than told why he's doing what he's doing, and he's more of a character than just flat-out bad guy. This is why I'm so happy; because it seems like we were really listened to and like Lego really cares about making this great. There's actual heart to this story, something that HF lacked.

Ekimu also has the Mask of Creation, which would help him with making his masks better. That's probably why the matoran liked his masks better.

But like I've said, I'm really liking Makuta's plot arc a lot better than his old one. I feel like I'm being shown rather than told why he's doing what he's doing, and he's more of a character than just flat-out bad guy. This is why I'm so happy; because it seems like we were really listened to and like Lego really cares about making this great. There's actual heart to this story, something that HF lacked.

I can kind of see where you're coming from, but it's not like the old Makuta didn't have any motivation for what he did. The Matoran worshiped Mata Nui for what was largely the Makuta species really doing all of the work, so they became jealous and even hateful of the great spirit. "Teridax" was just the most ambitious of the bunch.

• Upvote 1

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

And here's something interesting...

Are you planning on selling/giving away any of that hoard, or are you posting this stuff just to torture us? :P

Anyway, I can't help but notice this...

"Makuta has a fondness for...masks."

Could this be part of where the inspiration (out of story, I guess, since it's a reboot) for 2015 story?

In any case, we have our first old-story nod. (Still, this would be a legend, which leave details out, so starting to wonder...)

I can kind of see where you're coming from, but it's not like the old Makuta didn't have any motivation for what he did. The Matoran worshiped Mata Nui for what was largely the Makuta species really doing all of the work, so they became jealous and even hateful of the great spirit. "Teridax" was just the most ambitious of the bunch.

Makuta in the old story line did have motivation, but what I mean is we never actually felt it. Maybe it was shown in the books, but unless you read those, you were never shown how Makuta felt/reacted to the matoran worshiping Mata-Nui but not giving him any credit. They told you that was his motivation, but to the average fan Makuta felt like he was just a bad-guy. If they elaborated more on why he betrayed Mata-Nui and his personal feelings towards how the matoran treated him, then he would've been more of a character.

That could've very easily happened with new Makuta, no doubt. They could've very likely glossed over the fact that he was jealous of Ekimu and just made him evil, but the promo video they released really gives the feel and understanding that Makuta did what he did out of how he felt. When Makuta is hammering at the Mask of Ultimate Power that he is making, you can here him grunting angrily; his voice is tinged with ambition (you could argue that it's because black smith-ing is hard work, but they are bio-mechanical beings, and they seemed to have no problem hammering the masks in an earlier scene.)

I'm excited to see the final complete piece designs for the Mask of Control and Mask of Ultimate Power (I have to admit this name sounds a drip lame to me...). The Mask of Control looked like it had a great design and we never got a clear look at what the Mask of Ultimate Power looks like. I would imagine that the dark, ominous figure with the black mask in a lot of the art work is Makuta (or whoever?) wearing the MoUP (would you like a nice, hot bowl of moup? It's very relaxing!).

I'm also wondering about the toa mask powers. In their bios we haven't gotten any descriptions of their mask powers, and all we got were descriptions of their elemental powers. Do you think they dropped the old Kanohi powers and made it so that the masks simply give them elemental strength? I find it unlikely and would not want to see it, but I really have no way of telling. Were their mask powers described someplace that I missed?

• Upvote 1

Just watched the Bionicle panel, and what the speaker saI'd about "Easter eggs" in the slide show peaked my interest. If anybody finds an Easter egg, post it here:http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15180-bionicle-2015-easter-eggs/

"It's all a trick, you see. They want me to pretend to betray them. They want you to concentrate your forces here against an attack that won't come. But I decided: Why pretend to betray them when actually doing it would be so much more fun?"
— Vezon to Tridax, Destiny War

Agreed 100%. Like you were saying about Makuta, I always felt like a lot of main villains in the original story were just simply bad. We never really saw much progression from normal to evil as a main focus, and it's really great to see that come together (hopefully).

kalija.png

all this is temporary.

Follow me on Twitter! @sean52711

I'll follow back.

Personally I hope they get rid of silver. The musical made me sad :( #bringbackcollours

Errr... what musical? o_O

Don't you know!? Did you really miss the Bionicle musical that played!?

Oh no Aanchir, you dun messed up. They invited all the Bionicle fans to come watch. Tsk tsk tsk. Shame.

Edited by Banana Gunz

so hang on... Were the Skull Spiders ever confirmed to be called Kraata? I feel like I missed a few tidbits in the maelstrom of info in the past two days

No. They were referred to as Skull Spiders. Kraata was never mentioned, nor was Krana.

Just thinking, a lot of things over the past few days have made me sad.

Not as in Bionicle itself making me sad, more that people have seen, held, taken home, and even reviewed the new parts (and in Tahu's case, sets) and masks, and I've been sitting at my laptop drooling at it all.

And then I realise that I'm probably going to have to wait until November-ish to get a hold of any of it... and I get very sad...

Also, to anyone that was at the MOC-event, did they have protector masks? Also, how do the new guns fire? I NEED TO KNOW EVERYTHING! :P 

so hang on... Were the Skull Spiders ever confirmed to be called Kraata? I feel like I missed a few tidbits in the maelstrom of info in the past two days

No, they were confirmed to be called Skull Spiders. "Skull Krata" seems to have been a working title from all indications, and the name has not once appeared outside of leaked preliminary pics (meaning we probably shouldn't even discuss it, but eh).

Just thinking, a lot of things over the past few days have made me sad.[/size]

Not as in Bionicle itself making me sad, more that people have seen, held, taken home, and even reviewed the new parts (and in Tahu's case, sets) and masks, and I've been sitting at my laptop drooling at it all.[/size]

And then I realise that I'm probably going to have to wait until November-ish to get a hold of any of it... and I get very sad...[/size]

Also, to anyone that was at the MOC-event, did they have protector masks? Also, how do the new guns fire? I NEED TO KNOW EVERYTHING! :P[/size] [/size]

They didn't have any Protector parts. They did have one of the Protectors at the panel, and they showed off the firing feature, but we didn't get to try it ourselves. But from the demo, the new launchers fire great. You simply rotate the barrel and the studs fire one after another, shooting a moderate distance very reliably.

But if you want to know more about the launchers, you could ask DeeVee. Apparently he's owned some for weeks. :P

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Not that I know of. It's possible they could still be called that, but from their leaders set I believe they're called Skull Spiders.

It's also possible though that both names will be used, like how the toa are being called "masters" in the sets but are referred to as "toa" in most other material. Could be the same deal with the spiders. I would personally love to see this, because Skull Krata sounds pretty darn cool and a lot more interesting than Skull Spider.

The skull spiders do attach to the faces, so they might play a similar role as the Krana. I can see Lewa getting one stuck to his face, and Onua having to fight him..... for the nth time.

Honestly at this point it wouldn't even bother me. I'd just lol.  :D

Plus some would argue that they have an excuse to do that because it's a reboot. I just can't wait to see them use that argument again when they pull it off in the other waves as well.