OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Ah yes. Another classic debate on the credibility of TTV. This is what I call quality entertainment.  :popcorn:

Anyway, they did say that they were going to do an updated version later on, however I do agree that they should have waited a wee bit longer.

I myself have not seen any examples of TTV being rushed in their actions other than this. And even this is over something as minor as the grearbox build.

In other words, I believe that they did commit an unreasonable move here, however it's not as bad as you are making it out to be. 

People on BZP in general have some dislike towards TTV for some reason, IMO.

...that really doesn't do much to answer the issue of reviewing a set you don't know if you built correctly. Any difference from the actual set is now imprinted in the minds of those who watched the video as absolute truth until they actually get the set and realize that TTV, in fact, didn't care enough to make sure their set was accurate before charging ahead to be the first person to review the set.

They're like people who "FIRST" youtube videos, right down to not caring about the quality of what they have to say.

EDIT: Okay, this comes off as a little rude and confrontational. My point is, I don't want people defending TTV for bad journalism when they're, you know, a news source. Journalism is their job, so to speak. I think they may even get money to do it. A bit of journalistic integrity would not be amiss.

Well, there are none others out there, and people want to see it. Why wait until we get the entire set? This is more of an early look at the set thing, not a pros and cons thing, like what Eljay does in his reviews on the same channel. And they did some what check. They asked for help on their message boards, but people like the jump to conclusions.

Why do you make such assumptions? If this were the case, they would have uploaded Onua's review a long time ago, but they haven't figured out how to have his gear function work how it supposed to, so there is no video yet.

• Upvote 1

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I myself have not seen any examples of TTV being rushed in their actions other than this.

Back in leaks season, they popped out a new video within hours of something new coming out to talk at length and speculate. They also did a similar review of Tahu, though I don't know how accurate their Tahu build was.

TTV has an emphasis on the two S's of TTV journalism: speed and speculation. If some facts get lost in the process, it's no skin off their backs, since they've got an army of dedicated fans who will watch whatever they post anyway.

...that really doesn't do much to answer the issue of reviewing a set you don't know if you built correctly. Any difference from the actual set is now imprinted in the minds of those who watched the video as absolute truth until they actually get the set and realize that TTV, in fact, didn't care enough to make sure their set was accurate before charging ahead to be the first person to review the set.

They're like people who "FIRST" youtube videos, right down to not caring about the quality of what they have to say.

EDIT: Okay, this comes off as a little rude and confrontational. My point is, I don't want people defending TTV for bad journalism when they're, you know, a news source. Journalism is their job, so to speak. I think they may even get money to do it. A bit of journalistic integrity would not be amiss.

Well, there are none others out there, and people want to see it. Why wait until we get the entire set? This is more of an early look at the set thing, not a pros and cons thing, like what Eljay does in his reviews on the same channel. And they did some what check. They asked for help on their message boards, but people like the jump to conclusions.

Why do you make such assumptions? If this were the case, they would have uploaded Onua's review a long time ago, but they haven't figured out how to have his gear function work how it supposed to, so there is no video yet.

Why wait until we get the entire set to do a set review? Good question. I'm gonna slap together a sloppy mockup of the Lord of Skull Spiders and do a set review right now. Can't leave the people waiting.

So there's a limit to how much they're willing to speculate to get their videos out. That doesn't make the sloppiness they will allow excusable.

Edited by Lucina
  • Upvote 6

I myself have not seen any examples of TTV being rushed in their actions other than this.

Back in leaks season, they popped out a new video within hours of something new coming out to talk at length and speculate. They also did a similar review of Tahu, though I don't know how accurate their Tahu build was.

TTV has an emphasis on the two S's of TTV journalism: speed and speculation. If some facts get lost in the process, it's no skin off their backs, since they've got an army of dedicated fans who will watch whatever they post anyway.

Did they have any competition when the leaks were coming out? I know that their popularity has spawned smaller podcasts, but I've never seen one with as much influence that they have.

There is a difference between uploading it quickly because you're competing with someone else, and uploading for the sake of getting information out there. 

Edited by The Irrational Rock
  • Upvote 2

bZpOwEr

Because the set ISN'T RELEASED YET and PEOPLE WANT TO SEE IT. That point with LoSS is a moot point. You couldn't build LoSS with the pieces from the NYCC after-event. They went to the event, they got new pieces that aren't released to the general public, and the AUDIENCE wants to see the new stuff, to fuel our Hype Mobile. 

Did they have any competition when the leaks were coming out? I know that their popularity has spawned smaller podcasts, but I've never seen one with as much influence that they have.

There is a difference between uploading it quickly because you're competing with someone else, and uploading for the sake of getting information out there. 

And the smaller podcasts get most of their info via TTV.

• Upvote 3

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Ah yes. Another classic debate on the credibility of TTV. This is what I call quality entertainment.  :popcorn:

Anyway, they did say that they were going to do an updated version later on, however I do agree that they should have waited a wee bit longer.

I myself have not seen any examples of TTV being rushed in their actions other than this. And even this is over something as minor as the gearbox build.

In other words, I believe that they did commit an unreasonable move here, however it's not as bad as you are making it out to be. 

Exactly what I think. I think that their video here, gives an example of how the set will somewhat look like. And looking at their video, it made me reinforce my choice of getting Lewa first out of the 6 Toa. Just simply from watching the video and trying to keep the tradition of getting a green canister set first, out of the whole batch of 6. Of course I will only get Lewa first, if I don't get all 6 Toa in one single purchase. 

• Upvote 2

Cyberman Lewa is lookin' good!

Where are people getting the 'Cyberman' idea from?

People have interpreted the Jungle Mask design as resembling a Cyberman helmet... I can see the similarities, even if I do not agree.

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Cyberman Lewa is lookin' good!

Where are people getting the 'Cyberman' idea from?

People have interpreted the Jungle Mask design as resembling a Cyberman helmet... I can see the similarities, even if I do not agree.

Oh, those ones. At first I thought that they were referring to the Old Cybermen .

Edited by The Irrational Rock

bZpOwEr

Please build one.

well, i was speaking as for those with the gearbox and the rest of the not-new pieces.

i'm at a bit of a, well, a bit of a loss. :I

I see what you did there. :P

Edited by Boidoh
  • Upvote 1

Please build one.

well, i was speaking as for those with the gearbox and the rest of the not-new pieces.

i'm at a bit of a, well, a bit of a loss. :I

I don't believe LOSS uses the new gearbox, but might be wrong, since it's the only one I haven't totally figured out on LDD. I haven't shared ANY of the others, either, because even with them there are parts I'm not sure of. I AM certain that TTV's Lewa is built wrong, though, especially because theirs has more parts than in the set's actual part count. And the mistakes they made are mostly fixable without new parts. The only excuse for them is TTV's haste to scoop other sites with these inaccurate reviews.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

-snip-

It's points like these that make me wish I could upvote posts more than once.

Aside from my POV regarding TTV, I can sort of understand people seeing a resemblance between Lewa's mask and the Cybermen, although I personally do not see the resemblance. 

*grumble*just like it doesn't resemble his old masks at all*grumble*

Look at the history of BZP: it is a site full of users who were once used to being able to open a single topic (the Ask Greg topic) and find a definitive answer to almost any plot, set, or random BIONICLE question they could come up with. There was a forum for story and lore that was as fact-checked as is possible in an ongoing storyline. BZP users are the most informed LEGO fanbase on the internet when it comes to the way LEGO operates, employees, etc, and yes, I'm including places like TBB and Eurobricks. As such, it's no surprise that a fan group based on speculation and the haste to scoop other communities with half-correct "set reviews" would irk a good chunk of our membership.

• Upvote 12

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

Seriously, let's stop the hate. They do things fast to get content. Sure, they could've waited til the sets are released to do reviews, but they just wanted to get it out to fuel the excitement and show what the set is generally like. It can definitely be inconvenient when they get incorrect ideas out there, but blatantly hating them for it does nothing good for anyone. I wish they would be a little more cautious with how they output info, but let's relax. Rude is rude, no matter who it's being directed towards and for what reasons.

• Upvote 10

Look at the history of BZP: it is a site full of users who were once used to being able to open a single topic (the Ask Greg topic) and find a definitive answer to almost any plot, set, or random BIONICLE question they could come up with. There was a forum for story and lore that was as fact-checked as is possible in an ongoing storyline. BZP users are the most informed LEGO fanbase on the internet when it comes to the way LEGO operates, employees, etc, and yes, I'm including places like TBB and Eurobricks. As such, it's no surprise that a fan group based on speculation and the haste to scoop other communities with half-correct "set reviews" would irk a good chunk of our membership.

How exactly are they "based on speculation". The only times I could remember that was when they assumed BIONICLE would be at SDCC, and some small mis-information that they probably tried to extort from the reps or something at NYCC.

Edited by Boidoh

Seriously, let's stop the hate. They do things fast to get content. Sure, they could've waited til the sets are released to do reviews, but they just wanted to get it out to fuel the excitement and show what the set is generally like. It can definitely be inconvenient when they get incorrect ideas out there, but blatantly hating them for it does nothing good for anyone. I wish they would be a little more cautious with how they output info, but let's relax. Rude is rude, no matter who it's being directed towards and for what reasons.

Bionicle was an extremely popular line, and in the five years since it ended, people have been crying for it to be brought back. Lego put huge amounts of effort into involving members of the community (such as Deevee) in revealing the return, and they did so at a massive event. I don't think the excitement needs to be fueled by reviewing hastily constructed versions of sets that aren't accurate to the final product. 

How exactly are they "based on speculation". The only times I could remember that was when they assumed BIONICLE would be at SDCC, and some small mis-information that they probably tried to extort from the reps or something at NYCC.

Bolded parts for emphasis. When you have an audience the size of TTV's, there should be more care taken to make sure that you aren't spreading misinformation, period. As for extorting information, (regardless of the fact that Lego wouldn't just "give out" information they don't want public) it's not what I would look for in a trustworthy news source, and putting words in the mouths of Lego also causes me to dislike them. If I'm going to be informed about Lego, I'd like it to be in a concise and accurate manner, so that I can trust that the information being given to me is accurate.

EDIT: Haha, my mistake; I began writing this long post before Makaru told us to back off. Feel free to delete this post if you so choose, my sincerest apologies.

SO FIRST OF ALL:

It was indeed our mistake in regards to the build of Lewa; a lot of purported mistakes with Lewa's build are internal, gearbox-related issues. They do not affect the overall appearance OR functionality of the set. They're mistakes, most definitely; the blame lies 100% with us for the mistakes. However, with the exception of the gears behind the neck limiting the poseability (although that may not end up being the case...) and the connection of the spikes which, for all intents and purposes, does not affect the appearance of the set... our build is solid. The purpose of a set review is to inform the readers/viewers as to whether the set is worthwhile for purchase. While these reviews/previews/whatever you REALLY want to call them have certainly come about in an unorthodox way, I think they do that job very well and I don't regret making them.

REGARDLESS... I do regret the mistakes. I acknowledge them fully; there's nobody to blame but us. Thanks to everybody who pointed it out to us over the course of the day (specifically Aanchir); for what it's worth, I speak for all of us when I apologize. We'll try to do better in the future. All I can really say in our defense is that we include the disclaimers at the beginning of the "reviews" for a reason; if people don't like watching a set review that may be inaccurate, they can avoid it.

As far as the whole "misinformation" deal when it comes to news reporting and the recent Comic Con controversy... rather than type up some huge response I'll just link this.

A common misconception that has come across due to our increased prominence in the community is that we're strictly a news source, and that speculation is something to be frowned on. That is inaccurate. Yes, we do report news, but the primary focus of our channel has ALWAYS been and will continue to forever be discussion. We've discussed news long before we started reporting it; that's what we do in our podcast. Those that follow us know this; those that don't should probably look elsewhere for their news if our style does not suit their taste.. With that being said, however, most of the time we clearly specify what parts of our reporting are news and what parts are theories/speculation. We made a serious error with this when it comes to the Vahi controversy from NYCC, and we clarified our stance and urged people to check out BZP's reporting instead of ours a result of it due to them talking with more people.

We definitely do make mistakes sometimes, and contrary to what a lot of people may think we're fully aware of them and working to correct them. I thank everybody for their critique; we don't often get it from our fanbase, and it really helps us identify our issues and make strides to fix them.

-Mesonak

Edited by Meso Zehvor
  • Upvote 11

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

More discussion, not about TTV(thank artahka). umm what about, er, the setting?

We didn't already cover stuff about Okoto right? 'Cause if we're going to be on Okoto for a while, I'm kind of curious as to what it will be like.

Seems to be much more elementally divided, like the Slizers planet. I love the exotic new setting which is even more outrageously fantastic (look at the concept art of the new ta-koro v.s. the old one. Both are charming, but rather than bothering with a fortress, it's actually build on bridges just above the lava itself) and how there seem to be ancient ruins and talk of LOSS guarding an ancient city. This settings mystery seems to have been amplified, something I really like. I think we'll (or at least I'll) be happy to stay on Okoto for a hefty while.

We definitely do make mistakes sometimes, and contrary to what a lot of people may think we're fully aware of them and working to correct them. I thank everybody for their critique; we don't often get it from our fanbase, and it really helps us identify our issues and make strides to fix them.

-Mesonak

-Mesonak

Like signing your name twice? :P  (just wanted to point that out 'cause it was kinda funny; not trying to make fun of TTV or anything like that)

Speaking of Okoto, I wonder why they chose to divide up the regions with mountains?  Seems like it would hinder the Toa's progress, and while that could be worked into the story, it'd get boring if long sections of the story were "the Toa went over the mountain, the Toa went over the mountain, the Toa went over the mountain, and guess what they saw?"

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

-Mesonak

-Mesonak

Like signing your name twice? :P  (just wanted to point that out 'cause it was kinda funny; not trying to make fun of TTV or anything like that)

Speaking of Okoto, I wonder why they chose to divide up the regions with mountains?  Seems like it would hinder the Toa's progress, and while that could be worked into the story, it'd get boring if long sections of the story were "the Toa went over the mountain, the Toa went over the mountain, the Toa went over the mountain, and guess what they saw?"

LOL, yeah that is indeed quite the mistake. XD

It's a pretty interesting design choice, but it's probably just for easier village segmentation. Plus they can have epic sequences where they have to climb the mountain! With that being said, the story will probably be highly compartmentalized due to the nature of the mini-movies anyway; they can probably skip right over a lot of the mountainous stuff.

• Upvote 1

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

Perhaps the mountains suggest a more artificial world, but perhaps in a manner different from the old MU and the island of Mata Nui.

That's sort of what I've been thinking as well - it just feels too neatly divided (and conveniently colour coded :P) to be real.

But it's a reboot, so who knows

Perhaps the mountains suggest a more artificial world, but perhaps in a manner different from the old MU and the island of Mata Nui.

Okoto confirmed to be Ekimu's face.

• Upvote 2

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

The general set up of the island is actually the only thing that I don't like about the setting. I liked the more natural transitions (such diverse conditions on one island were still unrealistic but this is fiction) of the older Mata-Nui where the terrain had prominent natural geographical structures like Mount Ihu and the volcano. They made it feel more like an island and more natural, whereas this is all cut evenly with the mountains in between each region. Sure, it makes it easier to tell which part is which, but it feels like too much of a jump. (Perhaps it may even be more realistic to have such diverse regions cut by mountains, I'm no geologist, but it doesn't feel right to me...)

• Upvote 1

I just had an idea of what the MoUP could be. In the original story, what resulted when the six elements were combined? Protodermis.

What if by creating the MoUP, Makuta gave the Energised Protodermis entity (or its reboot equivalent) a way to channel its powers to the surface, in evil attempts to shatter Okoto to free itself from the core and wreak havoc.

It would make for an interesting twist. Rather than the series end goal being to reunite the planet, the goal would be to prevent it.

The Chirox Codex

Chuck's Very Dead Comic Series

:smilehafu: This is my signature. Exciting, huh?  :ruru:

I just had an idea of what the MoUP could be. In the original story, what resulted when the six elements were combined? Protodermis.

What if by creating the MoUP, Makuta gave the Energised Protodermis entity (or its reboot equivalent) a way to channel its powers to the surface, in evil attempts to shatter Okoto to free itself from the core and wreak havoc.

It would make for an interesting twist. Rather than the series end goal being to reunite the planet, the goal would be to prevent it.

That sounds cool, but I never liked the protodermis entity. I never understood why he was alive...

• Upvote 1

The general set up of the island is actually the only thing that I don't like about the setting. I liked the more natural transitions (such diverse conditions on one island were still unrealistic but this is fiction) of the older Mata-Nui where the terrain had prominent natural geographical structures like Mount Ihu and the volcano. They made it feel more like an island and more natural, whereas this is all cut evenly with the mountains in between each region. Sure, it makes it easier to tell which part is which, but it feels like too much of a jump. (Perhaps it may even be more realistic to have such diverse regions cut by mountains, I'm no geologist, but it doesn't feel right to me...)

It reminds me much more of the Slizer Planet with all its delineations. They seemed to do a good bit more world-building on Mata Nui, but I can see why they dropped it—too much work for a negligible or nonexistent gain.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I don't really like the Slizer-ness of Okoto- it just doesn't seem natural.

You're right, it doesn't; however, there is mystery in unaturality. For instance, we know that the Protectors all live in the 6 areas surrounded by mountains. But then, does anybody live in the mountains? If they don't, why don't they? They seem like a nice, secluded area. Also, all the mountains converge in a large area in the center. What's there? I would assume this "temple of time." But if that's the case, then what is the temple's purpose? How did it get there, if none of the Protectors inhabit the area? Speaking of protectors, what tribe are Ekimu and Makuta a part of? They own golden armor, something all the Protectors we have seen don't, and have ridiculously powerful masks. How did they get those? Are they, perhaps, Protectors of Time? If that's the case, then are there others?

Perhaps the origins of Okoto and the new origins of the Toa are connected, and it has something to do with these "Protectors of Time." Edited by Turaga Karera
  • Upvote 1

"The Kingslayer"

z2r5DTz.png

Complete Okoto Alphabet + Okotoan Symbols | Infrared's Okoto Font | SDCC Semi-Live Coverage

—————————BZPGOT S1 KILLS—————————

Gi9juq3.png

Okoto confirmed to be Ekimu's face.

Man, if Ekimu's face was that huge then why would any of the characters even be seeking out the Mask of Creation? It's not like they'd be able to wear it if it's bigger than an island. :P

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother