OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

20 X 90 seconds = 1800 seconds. 1800/60 = 30 minutes. That's a decent length TV show. :shrugs:

(Anyone remember the Templar animations? They managed to cover the whole story of a year in about that length or less. All of 2001 - 03 Templar adds to about 50 minutes. Give 'em a chance.)

One of my favorite animations from MNOG was the Tarakava battle, and it was just under 50 seconds.

A lot of scenes can be easily conveyed in the form of short animations.

Trust me, as a fan of Naruro and Bleach, a fight takes at least six 20 minute episodes to do well...

...That doesn't really make sense to me. A fight is cool and all but they should build characters and develop the story if they're going to be considerably longer than usual or else they're just wasting more time than they need to (and this can be achieved by having true dialogue and emotion that happens as characters are fighting). If a fight were to go considerably longer than Gali's Tarakava battle, it should have serious meaning that plays an important part. Action doesn't really equal story. You know long fights are being treated right when it's used as a lace to emphasize and actually change the characters and if they have impacts/after effects that matter. Long fights should have some sort of purpose, even if a smaller one.

But if they're not doing anything important, they're just mindless eye candy that waste people's time. A little bit of that isn't bad and can make the story you're telling funner, but it shouldn't take up more time than it needs to. 

I'm pretty sure they were being sarcastic. Inanely long battles are some of the most common pet peeves when it comes to long anime like that.

• Upvote 1

AXKP5KC.png

I assume that they skipped the final confrontation with the Bahrag because they wanted people to read the comic or the book version. Still, they could have put it in there if they wanted to, they just didn't to my understanding. :shrugs:

If they did it would've required a lot of new animation work, given that nothing from the Toa's mission is included (there's just one Bohrok episode, pre-Kal, that features a Toa at all).

I assume that they skipped the final confrontation with the Bahrag because they wanted people to read the comic or the book version. Still, they could have put it in there if they wanted to, they just didn't to my understanding. :shrugs:

If they did it would've required a lot of new animation work, given that nothing from the Toa's mission is included (there's just one Bohrok episode, pre-Kal, that features a Toa at all).

I'm kind of glad they didn't include the Toas' perspectives. We all knew the story of how they defeated the Bahrag, so it was nice to see what the Matoran were doing while they were away.   

bZpOwEr

20 X 90 seconds = 1800 seconds. 1800/60 = 30 minutes. That's a decent length TV show. :shrugs:

(Anyone remember the Templar animations? They managed to cover the whole story of a year in about that length or less. All of 2001 - 03 Templar adds to about 50 minutes. Give 'em a chance.)

One of my favorite animations from MNOG was the Tarakava battle, and it was just under 50 seconds.

Trust me, as a fan of Naruro and Bleach, a fight takes at least six 20 minute episodes to do well...

...That doesn't really make sense to me. A fight is cool and all but they should build characters and develop the story if they're going to be considerably longer than usual or else they're just wasting more time than they need to (and this can be achieved by having true dialogue and emotion that happens as characters are fighting). If a fight were to go considerably longer than Gali's Tarakava battle, it should have serious meaning that plays an important part. Action doesn't really equal story. You know long fights are being treated right when it's used as a lace to emphasize and actually change the characters and if they have impacts/after effects that matter. Long fights should have some sort of purpose, even if a smaller one.

But if they're not doing anything important, they're just mindless eye candy that waste people's time. A little bit of that isn't bad and can make the story you're telling funner, but it shouldn't take up more time than it needs to.

That was kind of a joke about how in animes fights go on for wayy too long. They extend the fights with long flashbacks and long speeches by the characters during the fight. Honestly, I think the length of the fights should also be determined by their foe because it's hard to pass of that year's big boss as being beatable in 50 seconds. I'm fine with 50 second animation fights if they are well done and do a good job showing the characters:)

On another topic, I am not sure how many of the old names I want to return. Despite following Bionicle through its entire run, I still don't know all the names of the masks. New names make stuff harder for new fans to get into especially if those words are referenced constantly.

On another topic, I am not sure how many of the old names I want to return. Despite following Bionicle through its entire run, I still don't know all the names of the masks. New names make stuff harder for new fans to get into especially if those words are referenced constantly.

If I was in charge, I'd bring back the mask names, but I highly doubt that will happen for both simplicity's sake and for marketing purposes. 

bZpOwEr

That was kind of a joke about how in animes fights go on for wayy too long. They extend the fights with long flashbacks and long speeches by the characters during the fight. Honestly, I think the length of the fights should also be determined by their foe because it's hard to pass of that year's big boss as being beatable in 50 seconds. I'm fine with 50 second animation fights if they are well done and do a good job showing the characters:)

Whoops, my bad! Somehow I missed the sarcasm there...  :bigsmile:

What would i like to see happen? those six adorable little hunchbacks we called turaga, and new rahi other than skull spiders

Sorry, pal. They said there were going to be no more characters from the old universe other than the Toa and Makuta. 

bZpOwEr

What would i like to see happen? those six adorable little hunchbacks we called turaga, and new rahi other than skull spiders

Sorry, pal. They said there were going to be no more characters from the old universe other than the Toa and Makuta. 

We can still see the "elder" type characters in the new Bionicle; and according to the panel, the Protectors serve as the "elders" in Okoto. On the Rahi thing, I hope they are still even called "Rahi" and would love to see new types of them for the new Bionicle.

• Upvote 2

They didn't outright say no. They said more than likely no. Besides, plans can change at any time.

• Upvote 2

They didn't outright say no. They said more than likely no. Besides, plans can change at any time.

As I said, #Vezon2018

Follow the light...

The Hype Train will take you to it

Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JTHStudio

Also, watch my new BIONICLE Short: "How BIONICLE Really Came Back" http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15938-how-bionicle-really-came-back-a-brickfilm/

As I said, #Vezon2018

Whether Greg is the main writer of Bionicle 2015 or not, he will find some way to sneak Vezon into it. Mark my words...

Whether Greg is the main writer of Bionicle 2015 or not, he will find some way to sneak Vezon into it. Mark my words...

How would a "storyline consultant" have enough influence to get a character from a long-forgotten pet-project serial into a multi-million dollar high-stakes toyline reboot?

I have a question - have we gotten wind of any of the Toa's containers? Are they boxes? Cardboard boxes? Or what?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

How would a "storyline consultant" have enough influence to get a character from a long-forgotten pet-project serial into a multi-million dollar high-stakes toyline reboot?

Maybe they want to honor the past writer for all of his work and include his favorite character in the new Bionicle for a split second. Maybe he can make a cameo in the short animated movies by making us see a silver figure coming out from a portal and exiting through another in the background of a scenery. Or maybe in the books, a Toa character can hear a noise behind some trees/bushes/rocks/etc. and get a quick glimpse of a silver figure before he disappears through a portal. And all that Toa would do is acknowledge it really quick and go pack to his/her main objective (find a gold mask, get through skull spiders, or simply just keep on walking..) and it would be a nice treat for the fans and the past writer of the books. 

• Upvote 2

Oh he'll find a way alright, he'll find a way...

• Upvote 2

I think the best way Vezon could show up in Gen2 without confusing new fans or leading to a lot of questions would be graffiti on a temple wall in the background which reads "Vezon was here".  ^_^

• Upvote 10

For me, BIONICLE was an epic science fantasy saga with a deep and complex lore, and was best when it was exactly that in its later years. I'm not sorry if that offended you.

I think the best way Vezon could show up in Gen2 without confusing new fans or leading to a lot of questions would be graffiti on a temple wall in the background which reads "Vezon was here".  ^_^

I actually really want to see that now...

Edited by Banana Gunz
  • Upvote 5

My opinion on Vezon is that he was interesting in 2006 and in the Federation of Fear serial. But after that he became overused in the story. 

On another note, here's something I've been thinking about. Does anyone else think Makuta could be redeemed as a good guy in the new story? Coming from just what we've seen in the story, Makuta created the Mask of Ultimate Power to best his brother in mask making. And when he put it on, the mask took control of him, which caused Okoto to almost be destroyed. But note that he didn't do under his own power. It was when the mask took over him that the island began to be destroyed. Aside from making the mask though, he really hasn't been shown doing anything really bad yet in the story.

So going off of this, does anyone else think that this version of Makuta may not be as bad as Teridax in the original story? Maybe Gen 2 Makuta could learn from the error of his ways and actually help the Toa and Ekimu face a new threat sometime in a future storyline. (KInd of like what happened to Garmadon in Ninjago) 

Of course, this is going off what has been revealed in the story so far. It could be revealed later on that he is more evil than what has been shown of him. But as of right now, it could be that he just made a stumble in his life because of his jealously of Ekimu, and he could learn from it and become a better beinglater on the story. I personally think this would be a neat twist on his character and it would be great development for him as well. Anyone else think this would be cool? 

• Upvote 2

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Does anyone else think Makuta could be redeemed as a good guy in the new story?  

Yes.

It was when the mask took over him that the island began to be destroyed. Aside from making the mask though, he really hasn't been shown doing anything really bad yet in the story.

Which works fine for initial villain, later neutral/ally & general enemy-who-isn't-evil stuff.

So going off of this, does anyone else think that this version of Makuta may not be as bad as Teridax in the original story? Maybe Gen 2 Makuta could learn from the error of his ways and actually help the Toa and Ekimu face a new threat sometime in a future storyline. 

It certainly seems to be quite possible,

Of course, this is going off what has been revealed in the story so far. It could be revealed later on that he is more evil than what has been shown of him. 

Naturally, & that would also work for him to be able to go villain; redeemed; nope he's actually evil! Which... I wouldn't be surprised by, be a relatively straight forward way of making him seem more 'cunning' :|

But as of right now, it could be that he just made a stumble in his life because of his jealously of Ekimu, and he could learn from it and become a better being later on the story. I personally think this would be a neat twist on his character and it would be great development for him as well. Anyone else think this would be cool? 

Yes, but I think it could work either way, but it might not work for either of them either; I think it would be a nice way of nailing that this is a very different turn of events to G1 - because reboots of any variety that seem really alike kind of bug me because they don't take all the advantages of being a reboot or a remake, they just kind of sit on the fence. But I honestly think it could work either way & I have a feeling that some people are going to feel very strongly about this. (Well if they don't do this, & after it's clear they haven't I doubt people will feel strongly unless the story toys with it, but in the mean time I expect some very strong views.)

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Something interesting I'd like to note is that in one of the animation screenshots from NYCC I noticed that each of the protectors was on their knees and it almost looks like they were praying to something, so if the islanders are supposed to have a god (although they'll probably just call it a "guardian" so as to not to offend anyone) it certainly makes me think that mata nui (or a character like him) may be actually be involved.

• Upvote 3

It's time to move on.

If Lego pulls a Ninjago on us, I think we can definitely see Makuta being a good guy. I really wouldn't mind it happening, but then I'd like him to be connected to some even larger villain (MOUP?) so as not to make things flat. Maybe. It depends on how the story plays out and for how long it runs.

I personally like Vezon and thought he was a nice spice, but I can definitely agree he was overused. He was a cool little part of the world and wasn't a clearly defined hero or villain, which worked out for better or for worse. If he was used less, people wouldn't find him as repetitive and would be a little more welcome to him.

G2 Makuta, from the animation, does seem a lot less evil compared to G1 Makuta.

Mostly because I doubt he expected his Mask of Ultimate Power to jack his brain.

The fact that he's asleep along with Ekimu also proves that point.

Edited by The Irrational Rock
  • Upvote 3

bZpOwEr

As I said, #Vezon2018

I could see this background for Vezon:

"Powerful but insane, Vezon is a mysterious being hailing from another dimension. Constantly falling through Parallel universes, Vezon seeks the Mask of Ultimate Power (or whatever mask of that time) to gain control of his mysterious power in order to take over the Island of Okoto! Wearing the Mask of Dimensional Gates, he is quite terrifying (something like that)"

Follow the light...

Also, watch my new BIONICLE Short: "How BIONICLE Really Came Back" http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15938-how-bionicle-really-came-back-a-brickfilm/

I have a question - have we gotten wind of any of the Toa's containers? Are they boxes? Cardboard boxes? Or what?

They're cardboard boxes. You can get a look at a completely unfolded one here. But you shouldn't have to unfold it completely to collapse it — just open the flaps at the top and bottom and it should press flat. I can't say for sure whether it remains reusable for storage after doing so, though.

The top and bottom of the boxes are sort of hexagonal, except that the diagonal edges are not the same length (at the top, the ones in the front are longer, and at the bottom the ones in the back are longer). The packages are the same general design for all the sets, but different sizes depending on the set.

• Upvote 3

Does anyone else miss 2006 Vezon? He was actually really creepy when he was first introduced. I wouldn't mind seeing 2006 Vezon come back. 

I liked both versions of Vezon (2006 and 2008), but I'd rather he stay in the old universe. We can only have so much anarchy. 

• Upvote 3

bZpOwEr

As I said, #Vezon2018

"Powerful but insane, Vezon is a mysterious being hailing from another dimension. Constantly falling through Parallel universes, Vezon seeks the Mask of Ultimate Power (or whatever mask of that time) to gain control of his mysterious power in order to take over the Island of Okoto! Wearing the Mask of Dimensional Gates, he is quite terrifying (something like that)"

EDIT: Whoops, double post :P

Edited by Turaga Jack
  • Upvote 1

Follow the light...

As I said, #Vezon2018

Gotta get back, back to Okoto, Samurai Vezon!

• Upvote 1

I don't feel so good, guys. I'm so hyped and happy for Bionicle's return, but.... I'm 22 and going through college. I feel that I should be experiencing all the things 22 year olds do, like going out and driving and being in study groups and stuff like that.

But the things is, I don't. I've never driven a car due to my vision impairment, and I do most of my schoolwork on my own, Is it considered 'childish' for me to use my money to buy Bionicle sets? I mean, I've never been on a date or anything like that. I feel so..... confused.

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

I don't feel so good, guys. I'm so hyped and happy for Bionicle's return, but.... I'm 22 and going through college. I feel that I should be experiencing all the things 22 year olds do, like going out and driving and being in study groups and stuff like that.

But the things is, I don't. I've never driven a car due to my vision impairment, and I do most of my schoolwork on my own, Is it considered 'childish' for me to use my money to buy Bionicle sets? I mean, I've never been on a date or anything like that. I feel so..... confused.

Dude, you should totally be allowed to do and like whatever you want to! In fact, LEGO is only considered childish because it's sold as a toy, but it is such a complex and sophisticated one that it is so much more than that. Liking Bionicle definitely shouldn't be getting in the way of you living your bigger life or be getting in the way socially. They just don't directly affect each other.

• Upvote 4

Use your money on what you feel is a worthwhile investment of your money, whether that's buying BIONICLE sets or something else. You shouldn't feel like you don't belong to a particular group of peers just because you don't spend your money the same way they do. If you want to spend your money on BIONICLE, your same-age peers shouldn't hold that against you! But on the other hand, if you want to spend your money on the types of things you feel like a 22-year-old should be doing, your fellow BIONICLE fans shouldn't hold that against you, either.

I would personally warn against stopping buying BIONICLE just because you consider it "childish", because frankly "fitting in" is a rather poor reason to make any kind of economic commitment. But at the same time, if you really feel like you're not getting as much out of investing in BIONICLE as you once did, there's no shame in stepping away and saving your money for other things.

• Upvote 9