OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

I'm really hoping Ekimu (and possibly pre-MOUPing Makuta if he ever makes it into a set) really are smaller Protector-sized figures. We've had plenty of big titans or heroes representing important figures before, and I think it'd be pretty cool to have the most important guys this time around just be villagers.

Edited by farmstink buttlass

AXKP5KC.png

Ekimu and Makuta seem to be either toa sized or Protector sized. I'm personally hoping for at least toa sized, but Pom brings up a good point about their sizes potentially changing. But anyway Bionicle was never really consistent with size canon. Just look at those stars and Inika...

• Upvote 1

Getting us back on topic a little bit, I'd like to ask what everyone's thoughts would be regarding a set of Ekimu? Like whether the cartoon we've seen is an accurate indicator of how large the set might be, or whether he'd be a more typical titan-sized set?

If Ekimu was to be made a set, it would imply that he would have been woken up. That would mean the story hit its climax and would go downhill from there. 

What was wrong with the Inika? They were all the same size!

He's talking about them compared to other Toa builds such as the Mata and whatnot. 

Edited by The Irrational Rock

bZpOwEr

Anyone have a good argument on how to convince a stubborn friend about the awesomeness of trans purple? Quote him: "It's just a color, no one cares." (Me): JUST A COLOR?!?

I knew this was going to happen...they didn't give up after 2012...they are coming back for revenge! 

THE PROTECTOR OF EARTH IS MAELSTROM!

Sorry, I had to. 

I fear the Makuta's Maelstrom's influence may extend beyond the Rahi Stromlings now...

picd924291c5df32b4219e299bc344aaae1.jpg

Getting us back on topic a little bit, I'd like to ask what everyone's thoughts would be regarding a set of Ekimu? Like whether the cartoon we've seen is an accurate indicator of how large the set might be, or whether he'd be a more typical titan-sized set?

If Ekimu was to be made a set, it would imply that he would have been woken up. That would mean the story hit its climax and would go downhill from there. 

What was wrong with the Inika? They were all the same size!

He's talking about them compared to other Toa builds such as the Mata and whatnot. 

The Inika were actually fine in my opinion, aside from the weird heads & rubber masks that were only used for one year and the joints that were starting to break a lot. Ph, and the loss of gear functions. But they were otherwise good sets. They introduced the amount of articulation that became standard for all Toa & Hero-sized sets to come. (Except of course, the Stars...)

And that's what make the 2015 sets so great. They're 2001 heroes + 2002 dual function weapons + better than 2004 gear functions + 2006 articulation + CCBS system + no breaking joints + awesomeness. :P

• Upvote 4

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

What exactly would make a titan-sized set "typical"? Look at some of the most special or important non-hero characters in BIONICLE: Takanuva, Lhikan, and Mata Nui. None of these characters, in their most familiar or iconic form, were titan-sized. Lhikan came in a titan-sized set because he had a mount, and Takanuva came in a titan-sized set because he had a vehicle, and both Takanuva and Mata Nui were released separately as titan-sized figures, but the basic size of the character was not inflated just to satisfy some random notion that important characters have to be bigger than others.

I'm really hoping Ekimu (and possibly pre-MOUPing Mekuta if he ever makes it into a set) really are smaller Protector-sized figures. We've had plenty of big titans or heroes representing important figures before, and I think it'd be pretty cool to have the most important guys this time around just be villagers.

I definitely agree, I see no reason Ekimu should necessarily be any larger as a set than he is in the legend video. Take note that his design in the video already varies from the typical Protector design in that he features a gearbox and wields a hammer rather than a launcher of some kind. I don't necessarily think he should be a stand-alone set, but couple him with a vehicle of some kind or release him together with Makuta as he appeared in the legend video, and you have the makings of a great set. Furthermore, I think it would be great to quash the notion that important characters have to be super-huge or super-powerful early on. And finally, if he's kept small and physically unimposing, then if he does awaken and remains in the story in future years, he can take on a role like the Turaga, supporting the Toa but keeping away from the front lines.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

I'd really like for Ekimu and pre-MoUP Makuta to be released together ala Mutran and Vican (just not store exclusive if it can be helped).

(also sorry to reiterate my question but due to it being a bit back, are Pohatu and Kopaka's Rahkshi staff pieces in the metallic silver from HF?)

Edited by Toa of Gallifrey

I'm going to die from pure, unrestrained laughter when both Banana Gunz AND Lucina turn out to be wrong. That mask is CLEARLY Ultron. And I'm right because look at that mask...there's no strings on the mask. And Ultron said "there are no strings on me" in the Age of Ultron trailer. Plus the eyes are red, and Ultron has red eyes, so it MUST be him! So you can all go home, I win this debate.

No. Ultron is Lewa, duh.

Lewa is merely one of Ultron's minions. 

I'm going to die from pure, unrestrained laughter when both Banana Gunz AND Lucina turn out to be wrong. That mask is CLEARLY Ultron. And I'm right because look at that mask...there's no strings on the mask. And Ultron said "there are no strings on me" in the Age of Ultron trailer. Plus the eyes are red, and Ultron has red eyes, so it MUST be him! So you can all go home, I win this debate.

No. Ultron is Lewa, duh.

But Lewa is a modified Green Lantern! How can he be both?

Age of Ultron is secretly a Bionicle, DC and Marvel crossover.

In all seriousness, is the Rahkshi staff piece from Kopaka and Pohatu metallic silver from HF?

Bionicle technically is in the DC universe, so a one-off crossover comic...not too far-fetched. I mean, if Attack on Titan can cross with Marvel, anything is possible!

I'd like to get a sense of what their exact role is in the story before we see any sets of them. I mean, weren't they in a deep sleep because Ekimu knocked Makuta's head off?

No, his mask was knocked off, not his head...this reboot isn't THAT violent! XD

I know it isn't. I was trying to be funny.

...bruh. 

I'd really like for Ekimu and pre-MoUP Makuta to be released together ala Mutran and Vican (just not store exclusive if it can be helped).

(also sorry to reiterate my question but due to it being a bit back, are Pohatu and Kopaka's Rahkshi staff pieces in the metallic silver from HF?)

Only as promotional sets, like Toa Norik and Toa Iruni. I'm still sort of against them having a physical set form, but I might change my mind in the future. 

bZpOwEr

Ekimu and Makuta seem to be either toa sized or Protector sized. I'm personally hoping for at least toa sized, but Pom brings up a good point about their sizes potentially changing. But anyway Bionicle was never really consistent with size canon. Just look at those stars and Inika...

OR. Ekimu and pre-MOUPing Makuta sizes are in between the Toa and protectors! *gasp!*

EXTERMINATE!

Edited by Dalek CAAN
  • Upvote 2

EXTERMINATE!

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf 15201987503_1b25d2d5b1_m.jpg  

3DS Friend Code:2578-4213-3661        A link to Goooooomba

I think I should clarify my comment about the Inika and Stars, it seems it confused a few fellows. I have my own problems with the two, but I used them as an example of the size inconsistency in the Bionicle universe. The Inika were huge in comparison to all other toa sets before them, but canonically were the same size as the mata. The Stars are a huge contrast to the Inika in terms of size but Tahu is supposed to be the same size as his 2001 version (I think these are actually somewhat close), so that means the Stars and the Inika are supposed to be the same size, but the difference is very dramatic (I feel like I explained this more than I needed to, but hey, nothin' like clarification!).

I actually think the idea of a Protector sized Ekimu/Makuta isn't bad, I just personally wish they would be at least slightly larger so that more detail/parts would go into them (For example the chests for a lot of the Protectors look a little odd because they're just two armor pieced slapped onto the front). I have faith that Lego will do them justice though. I'd rather have them be of a smaller size than be bloated to a monstrosity like "Toa Mata-Nui" *shudders*.

I'm definitely up for some temple and vehicle sets. Those could look pretty nice!

I'm wondering how Makuta will be handled set wise. Would he get two sets, one for each form (the corrupted form probably being larger) or does anyone think it's possible that he could have one set with inter-changeable armor? I personally find this option unlikely but I wanna know what y'all think. Too impractical?

Ah, I am so glad that Bionicle is returning in 2015. It's great to see sets in the classical colors. I admit I'm not the greatest fan of the printing on those chest armor pieces.But um, it's LEGO - that is to say, it's meant to be taken apart and reassembled into MOCs - my favorite part of Bionicle - which I intend to do, in addition to casually writing my own Bionicle fanfic combining the best of the two versions of Bionicle.

BIONICLE 2015 FOR THE WIN! There will be masks...

Edited by Twister92

I think I should clarify my comment about the Inika and Stars, it seems it confused a few fellows. I have my own problems with the two, but I used them as an example of the size inconsistency in the Bionicle universe. The Inika were huge in comparison to all other toa sets before them, but canonically were the same size as the mata. The Stars are a huge contrast to the Inika in terms of size but Tahu is supposed to be the same size as his 2001 version (I think these are actually somewhat close), so that means the Stars and the Inika are supposed to be the same size, but the difference is very dramatic (I feel like I explained this more than I needed to, but hey, nothin' like clarification!).

I actually think the idea of a Protector sized Ekimu/Makuta isn't bad, I just personally wish they would be at least slightly larger so that more detail/parts would go into them (For example the chests for a lot of the Protectors look a little odd because they're just two armor pieced slapped onto the front). I have faith that Lego will do them justice though. I'd rather have them be of a smaller size than be bloated to a monstrosity like "Toa Mata-Nui" *shudders*.

I'm definitely up for some temple and vehicle sets. Those could look pretty nice!

I'm wondering how Makuta will be handled set wise. Would he get two sets, one for each form (the corrupted form probably being larger) or does anyone think it's possible that he could have one set with inter-changeable armor? I personally find this option unlikely but I wanna know what y'all think. Too impractical?

What's wrong with Toa Mata Nui? I don't care that it has several shades of yellow/orange on him. You couldn't expect them to have made that many recolors, especially when they were already planning to end Bionicle! And besides, I see nothing wrong with his color scheme. Unless you're not talking about his color scheme... because I can't see anything else about that set that isn't really cool.

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

I don't think so, at least not necessarily. I for one look forward to having new brown pieces to work with once more. However, I will say, the gunmetal/keetorange color scheme was clever and beautiful combination that went well together. Just bear in mind this is for a new generation that mostly were too young to remember the brown/tan color scheme.

Regardless, there will be MOCs...

Edited by Twister92
  • Upvote 1

I think the answer Lego came up with was to make Brown a secondary colour to silver, a colour that seems to have been a rather safe bet since 2002.

Hmmm, I can believe that. Though the Protector of Stone is predominately brown. I guess we'll see how consumers react to this years Pohatu (at least he's not orange).

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

After watching the PoS review, I have a few questions:

1) Are the armour pieces gunmetal grey or silver? In the review they look gunmetal, on the box silver.

2)Are the lightning pieces dual-coloured?

1) Silver.

2) Technically no, technically yes. Some shade of trans green and trans clear (hence why it's not really "dual colored")

*snip*

What's wrong with Toa Mata Nui? I don't care that it has several shades of yellow/orange on him. You couldn't expect them to have made that many recolors, especially when they were already planning to end Bionicle! And besides, I see nothing wrong with his color scheme. Unless you're not talking about his color scheme... because I can't see anything else about that set that isn't really cool.

From what I've seen, Toa Mata-Nui is a horrendous, clunky mess with almost no real good shape. It's what happens often when you scale a figure that large and have a limited amount of parts to put it together. Aside from the torso and legs (which aren't build well either) everything is out of proportion and looks off. The yellow/orange/gold mix is a bother as well, but ultimately is the least of it's problems. Titan builds of that size can easily look strange if not done well because of their huge builds.

I respect if you like the set, I just personally am not a fan.

• Upvote 2

*snip*

From what I've seen, Toa Mata-Nui is a horrendous, clunky mess with almost no real good shape. It's what happens often when you scale a figure that large and have a limited amount of parts to put it together. Aside from the torso and legs (which aren't build well either) everything is out of proportion and looks off. The yellow/orange/gold mix is a bother as well, but ultimately is the least of it's problems. Titan builds of that size can easily look strange if not done well because of their huge builds.

I respect if you like the set, I just personally am not a fan.

I guess I don't mind the set's jumbled colors because they're so mixed up they almost blend together to make it look good. Also, he's huge, he has a super complex build, and he has cool-looking pistons and the Ignika. And I guess that's why I think the set is cool. (It still surprises me that it was a $50 set. It looks so much more expensive... :P ) Of course, I don't actually own the set, so maybe I'd think differently if I had it in hand(s).

Just a question - did the sales of Stone sets improve upon changing the colour scheme in summer 2006? Is bringing brown back risky?

-NotS

To be exact, this isn't the same brown that was used on 01 or 02 Pohatu. That was Mata Brown, officially known as "25 Earth Orange." And it isn't Metru Brown, either. (Which is officially known as "217 Brown", which was a short-lived color. This brown is Hewkii Brown, officially known as "38 Dark Orange". I'd say it isn't too risky, because Dark Orange is a good compromise between a dark brown color and a bright, vivid orange color. It isn't too orange, but it's still enough too look vivid and colorful.

Also, Poahtu has always been orange. First Earth Orange in 2001 & 2002, then Bright Orange in 2008, and now Dark Orange in 2015. :P

EDIT: Guys, I just realized something...

Mangai means Protector. Remember the Toa Mangai? Take a look a the Protectors. The Protectors are the reboot's Toa Mangai, and maybe even also the Metru. Coming soon to Bionicle... Legends of Metrokoto... coming in 2018! :P :P :P 

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator
  • Upvote 5

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Also, Pohatu has always been orange. First Earth Orange in 2001 & 2002, then Bright Orange in 2008, and now Dark Orange in 2015. :P

I always found saying this misleading. Visually, the color Pohatu was 2001-2002 was clearly brown. If you pulled any old person off the street and asked them what color that piece was, unless you pulled a -chir brother, they'd say "that's brown". It does not look orange. Saying "Pohatu has always been orange" always struck me as a misleading way to try and convince people it wasn't a radical change to make him Bright Orange in 2008 (even though it obviously was.)

I am a fan of the new color, though. Much better than using Bright Orange, which doesn't really evoke stone at all. Yes, some stones can be that bright and vivid, but the point of the Toa's colors isn't "the element CAN be these colors" it's "these colors evoke that element in people's minds". A brownish shade like Dark Orange does that much better than Bright Orange ever will.

(Someone pointed out Air not being green when I said this before but need I remind you which element was changed because its color wasn't evocative enough of its element? Colors do matter.)

• Upvote 1

Also, Pohatu has always been orange. First Earth Orange in 2001 & 2002, then Bright Orange in 2008, and now Dark Orange in 2015. :P

I always found saying this misleading. Visually, the color Pohatu was 2001-2002 was clearly brown. If you pulled any old person off the street and asked them what color that piece was, unless you pulled a -chir brother, they'd say "that's brown". It does not look orange. Saying "Pohatu has always been orange" always struck me as a misleading way to try and convince people it wasn't a radical change to make him Bright Orange in 2008 (even though it obviously was.)

I am a fan of the new color, though. Much better than using Bright Orange, which doesn't really evoke stone at all. Yes, some stones can be that bright and vivid, but the point of the Toa's colors isn't "the element CAN be these colors" it's "these colors evoke that element in people's minds". A brownish shade like Dark Orange does that much better than Bright Orange ever will.

(Someone pointed out Air not being green when I said this before but need I remind you which element was changed because its color wasn't evocative enough of its element? Colors do matter.)

The orange thing was a joke. Obviously Pohatu's old versions don't look orange. They obviously look brown. It's funny how the classification of Lego colors does things like this. Take a look at the colors for the Toa teams & the Piraka:

MATA/NUVA

• Bright Red
  • Bright Blue
  • Dark Green
  • Earth Orange
  • Black
  • White

METRU/HORDIKA

• New Dark Red
  • Earth Blue
  • Earth Green
  • Brown (not the original brown but a very short-lived Lego color used from 2004-2006)
  • Black
  • White

INIKA/MAHRI

• New Dark Red
  • Earth Blue
  • Earth Green
  • Metallic Dark Grey
  • Black
  • White

PIRAKA (Not a Toa team but worth mentioning here)

• New Dark Red
  • Earth Blue
  • Earth Green
  • Reddish Brown
  • Black
  • Light Stone Grey

NUVA 2008 (Phantoka+Mistika)

• New Dark Red
  • Earth Blue
  • Bright Yellowish Green
  • Bright Orange
  • Black
  • White

2015 TOA

• Bright Red
  • Bright Blue
  • Bright Green
  • Dark Orange
  • Black
  • White

The only colors that remains as one of the primary colors in the Toa teams are black & white. I find it funny that the "regular green" is actually Dark Green and the "new green" is Bright Green, which technically means it mataches up with the other bright colors. So technically, if you wanted to create a Toa team using the brightest primary colors...

• Bright Red
  • Bright Blue
  • Bright Green
  • Bright Orange
  • Black
  • White

And for a Toa team with darkest colors...

• New Dark Red
  • Earth Blue (Dark Blue doesn't exist)
  • Dark Green
  • Dark Orange OR Dark Brown
  • Black
  • White

And for earthiest colors...

• New Dark Red (Earth Red doesn't exist)
  • Earth Blue
  • Earth Green
  • Earth Orange
  • Black
  • White

Yeah. :P

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

I would never dispute that classic Earth Orange is more brown than orange, just like the oddly named Brick Yellow is very clearly a shade of tan. The name, however, helps to belie a similarity to the later Bright Orange, Flame Yellowish Orange, Bright Yellow, or Sand Yellow (Dark Tan)—that is to say, most colors used for Stone sets over the years occupied the yellow/orange section of the color wheel. That's an important factor, and part of why I had no issue with the brighter colors. Prior to those sets, the only vibrant colors used for Bionicle were red for fire, blue for water, and green for air. Flame Yellowish Orange in particular may have been a radical departure from the brown that had come before, but it did a much better job of adding diversity to the overall color scheme of a given wave of sets by replacing brown (which had never really fit in with the other colors as well) with a much more vibrant color. That resulted in a much more balanced range of colors for the sets later in the theme's lifespan, with four bright colors (Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow/Orange, the same range a kid typically gets in a four pack of crayons), and two diametrically opposed neutral colors (Black and White).

The fact that brown is called Earth Orange also highlights what a great color choice the new Pohatu's Dark Orange is, since Dark Orange is pretty much directly between Pohatu's previous colors and as a result hopefully will offer the new set the vibrancy and shelf appeal of the later Bright Orange while still maintaining the thematic ties to his element like the classic Earth Orange.

TL;DR: Earth Orange may be brown, but the official nomenclature is nonetheless incredibly useful for comparative analysis.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

In other news, when the heck was stone ever orange? All the stones I see are grey and maybe white, but not orange.

Some types of sandstone, especially when the sun is shining on it. 

Edited by The Irrational Rock
  • Upvote 2

bZpOwEr

Rocks can be whatever colour that exist. If you expand the definition to include minerals, then you can also consider colours that don't exist within our cones' ability to differentiate.

Fire can be pretty much whatever colour.

Water is only blue under certain spectrums and particulate.

What even is dirt.

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 8

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Mangai means Protector. Remember the Toa Mangai? Take a look a the Protectors. The Protectors are the reboot's Toa Mangai, and maybe even also the Metru. Coming soon to Bionicle... Legends of Metrokoto... coming in 2018! :P :P :P 

...But Mangai is the Maori word for mouth, silly!

Edited by 2Tie

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

...But Mangai is the Maori word for mouth, silly!

Obviously 2018 is going to contain head pieces with removable mouth guards. 

• Upvote 1

bZpOwEr