OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Steve Blum as Pohatu

Don't know

Steve Blum is an extremely prolific voice actor.  You might know him as Amon from The Legend of Korra.  Or a number of other things.  He voices a lot of growly characters, but for Pohatu I was thinking somewhere around his voice for JP from Digimon Frontier.

These questions always seem to be met with lists of either celebrities or big screen actors.  Casting the most famous person isn't always the best option, especially when there are hundreds of voice actors who could most likely do a much better job.

OpAXNpl.jpg

Arghhh... so tempting to watch these in a foreign language... Please, Lego, release these in English soon! (But not too soon that there's nothing left to be released before August!)

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

What is that website? That's actually pretty cool. 

Also, huge spoiler warning for those videos. Though it's not in English, it's pretty easy to follow visually. Just saying, because episode 9 is the last one, not sure if for the web series in itself or just for the winter line.

Someone at LEGO really flubbed up. If these were supposed to last till at least May, they didn't do a good job with steady releases. Now I've seen everything and I'm kind of disappointed.

Not at the episodes - they looked excellent with amazing animation and what seemed to be some pretty great character interactions, which is what I was waiting for. But the lack of care in releasing these serially in sizable timespans is seriously disturbing. Imagine watching a whole show 4 months before it's supposed to end. Some people may like that, but I'm not one of them. This wasn't in English, thankfully, so at least I'll enjoy hearing the English narration when it comes out. 

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg

I'm waiting for the English versions before I watch them, but...episode 9 is the last one? Seriously? That's a huge let-down. :/ 

How huge? Rank it on a scale from 1 to 40.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Steve Blum as Pohatu

Don't know

Steve Blum is an extremely prolific voice actor.  You might know him as Amon from The Legend of Korra.  Or a number of other things.  He voices a lot of growly characters, but for Pohatu I was thinking somewhere around his voice for JP from Digimon Frontier.

These questions always seem to be met with lists of either celebrities or big screen actors.  Casting the most famous person isn't always the best option, especially when there are hundreds of voice actors who could most likely do a much better job.

When it comes to listing celebrities, of course we're going to list celebrities. We know who they are! 

Also, wasn't JP the electric/bug themed DigiDestined who was always trying to score with Zoe and always failed miserably? Poor guy. He makes Barney Stinson cry.

Of course, I'm not really a fan of the show (though I do love Lucemon as a villain and Tommy was always a fun character) so I barely remember JP. Still, I'll stick with my choice of actor, thank you very mucho. 

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

Steve Blum as Pohatu

Don't know

When it comes to listing celebrities, of course we're going to list celebrities. We know who they are! 

Also, wasn't JP the electric/bug themed DigiDestined who was always trying to score with Zoe and always failed miserably? Poor guy. He makes Barney Stinson cry.

Of course, I'm not really a fan of the show (though I do love Lucemon as a villain and Tommy was always a fun character) so I barely remember JP. Still, I'll stick with my choice of actor, thank you very mucho.

Yeah.

JP_intro_digimon.jpg

Edited by Bfahome

OpAXNpl.jpg

Steve Blum as Pohatu

Don't know

You're kidding, right? Steve Blum cannot hold a candle to someone like Liam Neeson or Jennifer Lawrence. I'd rather have someone famous voice one of the Toa than some nobody voice actor. 

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

Steve Blum as Pohatu

Don't know

You're kidding, right? Steve Blum cannot hold a candle to someone like Liam Neeson or Jennifer Lawrence. I'd rather have someone famous voice one of the Toa than some nobody voice actor. 

That attitude is probably why so many voice actors are so "unknown". 

Well, that and the fact that we never see their faces.

Edited by Strange Festive Voltex
  • Upvote 4

Steve Blum as Pohatu

Don't know

Ah, so being famous is a requirement for having talent? Never knew that. 

Anyway, I'm really disappointed with the way these episodes have been released. It just seems like they've been totally careless and random with the releases. I'm also disappointed that this is all we'll get until the Summer wave. I hope the novels will give more substance to the story.

• Upvote 3
Bliss.png

Anyway, I'm really disappointed with the way these episodes have been released. It just seems like they've been totally careless and random with the releases. I'm also disappointed that this is all we'll get until the Summer wave. I hope the novels will give more substance to the story.

Has it all happened too soon? We're at most two months in, and apparently nearly half the year's story has been released. 

What is that website? That's actually pretty cool. 

Also, huge spoiler warning for those videos. Though it's not in English, it's pretty easy to follow visually. Just saying, because episode 9 is the last one, not sure if for the web series in itself or just for the winter line.

Someone at LEGO really flubbed up. If these were supposed to last till at least May, they didn't do a good job with steady releases. Now I've seen everything and I'm kind of disappointed.

Not at the episodes - they looked excellent with amazing animation and what seemed to be some pretty great character interactions, which is what I was waiting for. But the lack of care in releasing these serially in sizable timespans is seriously disturbing. Imagine watching a whole show 4 months before it's supposed to end. Some people may like that, but I'm not one of them. This wasn't in English, thankfully, so at least I'll enjoy hearing the English narration when it comes out. 

-NotS

I heard that the website was the Russian equivalent of Facebook.

Has it all happened too soon? We're at most two months in, and apparently nearly half the year's story has been released. 

And that's why I'm going to wait until these episodes are released in English. :P

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Steve Blum as Pohatu

Don't know

That attitude is probably why so many voice actors are so "unknown". 

Well, that and the fact that we never see their faces.

Unless, that is, they do audio drama, and they happen to show up on the cover. But that's not a guarantee, and certainly not the case for cartoons.

Since we're talking about voice-actors, as opposed to Hollywood celebrities, how about Beth Chalmers or Lisa Bowerman  as Gali?

Nick Briggs as Pohatu or Kopaka?

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

Way too soon. If this was supposed to span all of winter... Then LEGO done effed up.

And interesting about that alphabet, is that like an official BIONICLE page or a fan one?

-NotS

That's what I would like to know.:P

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Steve Blum as Pohatu

Don't know

This is why I rarely take the question of "who should voice which character" seriously. Professional voice actors are defined by the RANGE of voices they can provide, so it's not so easy to assign a voice for a character when the best actors' voices can vary so much depending on what sort of voice they're called upon to portray in auditions. Big-name Hollywood talent can do great for an animated movie, sure, as seen in The Lego Movie—but Morgan Freeman's Vitruvius sounds exactly like Morgan Freeman NORMALLY sounds, and the same applies to Will Ferrell's President Business and Chris Pratt's Emmet. Unless you consider what surprises a professional voice actor like Dee Bradley Baker, Steve Blum, Tara Strong, or Lee Tockar can bring to the table, you're not really giving the question the kind of consideration it deserves.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Steve Blum as Pohatu

Don't know

I'm more interested in how good the voice is than the name of the person providing the voice.  Steve Blum is an amazing voice actor (and person) who I have no doubt would contribute greatly to Pohatu's characterization.

And he's far, far and away from a "nobody".  Ask any Toonami fan.  Or anyone who's heard his voice in the hundreds of characters he's portrayed.

(Also, according to Wikipedia, he provided Kopaka's voice in BIONICLE: The Game, so there's that.)

OpAXNpl.jpg

I just saw that video of JP. I had flashbacks.

Some were good, like my memories of Kumemon and Lucemon and the final battle.

Some were bad, like JP's annoying-as-Karz voice.

Yeah... I don't think he'd made a good Pohatu. His voice is just a little bit too nasally to do Pohatu, though I haven't heard anything else in a while, I remember Kopaka not sounding all that great.

As for the range of voices point, I'd rather have an actor with one good voice than eighty-nine bad voices.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

Those episodes were great and I'm really glad Onua is as awesome as I'd hoped he'd be, grabbing Tahu and Kopaka by the mask and lifting them up to stop their fighting and delivering the final blow to LoSS! I really like that they kept personalities close to what they used to be with the exception of Pohatu who seems very dark and brooding. They better release them in English soon!!!! It really sucks its over for the first wave when the story was finally starting to go somewhere. 

The way the videos have been released is really terrible as nice as it is to have them early. LEGO doesn't seem to have it together at all with online content this year. The LEGO website has had been riddled with problems and misprints, they messed up the shopping site when the current wave of sets were released and now releasing these videos in random chunks in two different languages, not evenly spaced out and released as one episode at a time, available in each language as it should have been. It's really kinda sad and dare I say pathetic the way things have been handled. 

Also, am I the only one who thinks LEGO's Youtube channel is a complete mess? It really is disorganized. 

To add to the voice actor discussion, Kevin Michael Richardson should voice Onua if(hopefully when) a new movie is made. He would be perfect as his deep voice is iconic and fits this kind of role. 

Also we need that alphabet in English!!

Lastly, some have mentioned graphic novels coming in the summer. I thought we were just getting books like the Legends series as in books-with-words-and-nothing-else? If this is true that is pretty cool, honestly though I would rather have both! Since we aren't getting comics, graphic novels is the next best thing.

Edited by ToaDraco

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

My thoughts on the latest Bionicle episodes released:

Episode 7:

The Toa meet for the first time! And Tahu and Kopaka fight as usual! :P Its was great seeing Onua stop them by picking them up from their heads. Lewa also seemed to say something about it as well, though I don't know what he said. The only other note of interest is that Pohatu seemed kind of distant from the others. After Onua stopped Tahu and Kopaka, you can Pohatu with his back turned to the group, as if he disapproves of them. Its almost like he has a little Gen 1 Kopaka in him. I thought it was something interesting to point out.

Episode 8:

And here comes the Lord of Skull Spiders! So what do the Toa do? What any new team does; attack it one at a time! :P This results in Gali getting tangled in webbing, Pohatu getting knocked out of his tornado, and Tahu getting thrown into the arms of Onua. Then the Toa try the more effective method of attacking as a team, which results in them beating LOSS! Though I kind of wish the fight lasted for more than one episode. The LOSS seemed to be a strong foe, and I've preferred that the fight at least to concluded in the next episode. But the battle is still good and the Toa learn that teamwork can help them be successful. :) I also don't think this is the last time we'll see the LOSS either.

Episode 9:

I kind of see this episode as a preview of the second half of the story. The Toa go across the bridge and into the city to find Ekimu after the Mask Maker somehow gets a message to Tahu.  I like that Lewa was flying above the Toa to look out for any dangers ahead. That was a smart idea. :) The city itself also looked really cool. But danger does lie ahead for the Toa apparently, as we see a hand burst out of the ground, Mask of Light Rahkshi style, and video fades to black.

Overall, I enjoyed all these episodes a lot. The animation was great and I believe the episodes did get a lot across for how short they were. I do think that the later episodes were released way too early. Yes, they were in different languages, but I still think they could've been spaced out more. But that doesn't take away from the quality of the episodes themselves. In fact, my only complaint about them was that we really didn't get to see more of the Protectors in the videos. The only one that got a lot of screen time was the Fire Protector, and that was because Tahu got a lot of screen time as well. I really wish we would've gotten more episodes where we saw the other Toa work with their Protectors to get their Golden Masks. I know we saw clips of scenes like these, but I was hoping they would've been freshed out more.

But for what we got, these episodes are great and I can't wait to see the new batch of them that comes out in the summer. (Hopefully.)

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I just saw that video of JP. I had flashbacks.

Some were good, like my memories of Kumemon and Lucemon and the final battle.

Some were bad, like JP's annoying-as-Karz voice.

Yeah... I don't think he'd made a good Pohatu. His voice is just a little bit too nasally to do Pohatu, though I haven't heard anything else in a while, I remember Kopaka not sounding all that great.

As for the range of voices point, I'd rather have an actor with one good voice than eighty-nine bad voices.

BIONICLE: The Game wasn't particularly great as far as dialogue goes.  I was just throwing it out there, as I'd only just learned it today while reading through his voice credits.

I just gave JP as an example of the level of voice I'd think of him using.  Somewhere on the higher end of his range, but not quite to Guilmon levels.  He's got the gravelly quality to his voice that I think would fit the Toa of Stone character, but without necessarily sounding like a tin can full of rocks.

OpAXNpl.jpg

These episodes were a massive improvement over the previous ones just because of the Toa meeting up and interacting. You get a lot of characterization in those few minutes, and the team have distinct personalities. The action was also nice.

I get the feeling we'll see Tahu become a better leader over time, with Onua being de-facto leader for now because he's the most reasonable of the bunch. 

Snaps for Oua!! Woot Woot. Just even more reason to like him.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I think Steve Blum as Makuta would be awesome. I loved hearing Amon's voice, it sounded so twisted and evil yet had this very calm and smooth nature to it.

If Makuta has different voices depending on whether he's wearing the Mask of Control and Ultimate Power, Mark Hamill for Makuta wearing the MoUP please! Because Joker, as well  as his talent of being Joker disguised as the Fire Lord without the Fire Nation suspecting it at any given point.