OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

holy molly, nobody is saying Gali is better than the others, she's just a pretty great set, sorta on-par with the others. :t

(like, she's better compared to, say, Gali Mistika, her last incarnation, or Vastus, a downright funky-lookin set. )

Exactly! None of the 2015 sets are better than each other honestly. They each have their own little design quirks, and because of this whichever one is "best" is pretty much a matter of what a person prefers in body structure and what-not. However, these Toa are an improvement over all of their previous incarnations. Not to say that the others are bad, in fact, it just shows how far the characters have come over time! We went from solid legs and gear functions to losing gear functions but having posability. Now we have BOTH along with armor and amazing weapons with dual functions! These new Toa are the embodiment of various strong points from every era in the BIONICLE set design process. They are the future.

Edited by BlatantlyHeroic
  • Upvote 5

It's funny, Tahu and Lewa are the only ones I still see on the shelves.

• Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Okay so we can now say the Kopaka and Pohatu is feminine  because of those reason and it's because you haven't noticed yet.

Do you see how that logic can slap you back.

No, no I don't. You're also taking this very personally for some weird reason. It's like you're letting your hate for the set cloud your judgement. The whole point is that the thighs plus the the slender torso piece make an hour glass shape and the way the whole set is armored looks slimmer than the others and is for that specific reason. Pohatu and Kopaka have a very different look going on with how their shells are positioned.

(yes because you can easily tell by text that I'm taking it personally, it's not like that how I always go at thing like with my commentary on LegoMationStudio, Banana Girl and others, do you want a cookie  :mellow:)

Have you forgotten that Kopaka and Pohatu have that same torso piece (female rocka anybody :P), again there nothing different from her build from any of the other master of Hero Factory sets.

Here something that can go with Kopaka, "the way her armor is place on the legs show that she have some very big hips, she just have those big shoulder armor because she want everyone to know that she is the leader"

Edited by ShadowWolfHount

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

(yes because you can easily tell by text that I'm taking it personally, want a cookie  :mellow:)

Have you forgotten that Kopaka and Pohatu have that same torso piece (female rocka anybody :P), again there nothing different from her build from any of the other master of Hero Factory sets.

Here something that can go with Kopaka, "the way her armor is place on the legs show that she have some very big hips, she just have those big shoulder armor because she want everyone to know that she is the leader"

Using your logic, Kopaka isn't built to have a bundled up look, he just had armor placed on him because BIONICLE is Hero Factory and it totally has the same set design process and that's why all of the current Toa are just $10. ;)

Hero Factory had a different body build and style. It was a different theme that used CCBS, but not in the same way BIONICLE is using it. Armor was simply armor for HF, while in BIONICLE they act as body parts. I refuse to argue this matter any longer. It's clear that you're letting your personal bias get in the way of an intelligent discussion and intend to turn this into a heated debate, something I wish no part in. :P

(By the way, on the whole Kopaka thing, that piece does NOT resemble feminine thighs in any humanoid fashion)

• Upvote 5

TBH, I don't see how you can make a buildable action-figure look 'feminine' without some very specialized pieces and making it look very stereotypical. 

• Upvote 3

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Your logic on this is so off, because Bionicle G2 and Hero Factory build are the same thing, just take off the knob box and change the mask to HF, slap a Hero Core and boom you got a HF set. I wouldn't be shock if you say "But it Bionicle" (thank Mephek for getting me the idea to add that :P).

Edited by ShadowWolfHount

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

Since I had a $15 dollar WalMart gift card (effectively) I decided to grab another Bonkle to fight Lewa and PoJ before Skull Slicer comes into existence. So, I got Lord of Skull Spiders!

::REVIEW TIME::

LoSS isn't really as bad a set as everyone (yes, including B6) gives him credit for. Yes, his Technic legs are a little... skeletony, but isn't that the point of this villain line? It's a really solid set with great play function. What more could we ask for?

Also, expect cool LoSS MOC soon.

• Upvote 1

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

All you gotta do is remove most of the pieces and it's the exact same thing

Makaru gets it! Just like how when you get rid of all those pesky building instructions and color schemes, LEGO Creator is just LEGO Classic! Or how when you get rid of all the animal motifs and fantasy weapons and plunk some evil robots in some of the vehicles, LEGO Legends of Chima is just LEGO Exo-Force!

• Upvote 9

All you have to do is remove anything unique to the theme you want to simplify. It's totally the same thing then. The Toa Phantoka are totally the Toa Inika, despite the obvious motif and theme being air combat, they totally used the exact same inspiration during their individual idea processes. ;)

They used gorillas as inspiration for Onua's build, they must have done the exact same thing for Furno 2.0 since they both use CCBS. :P

• Upvote 2

CCBS was designed to be the action figure equivalent of bricks. If you don't have a problem with there being multiple brick-based system themes, if you don't think they're "the same thing" because they use bricks, then you shouldn't have a problem with multiple action figure themes sharing these pieces that are made to feel more like, as AFOLs may say, >AHEM<

..."real legos."

• Upvote 5

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

OBJECTION! Gali is a good set. If you look at the evidence you'll see that she has amazing articulation and looks more feminine than her previous iterations, meaning.. SHE COULDN'T HAVE BEEN A BAD SET IN THE FIRST PLACE! *The jury gasps and starts talking amongst each other as the judge tries to bring order back into the courtroom*

I don't really see how Gali's build is supposed to look any more feminine than those of the other Toa. Her hips are just as narrow and her shoulders are just as wide. The only thing about her that looks somewhat feminine is her mask wich features a slimmer jaw than the other masks.

Likewise. Personally, I think that Gali looks more gender neutral than anything. From what I've seen, the only reason why people are labeling her as feminine looking is because they've seen her in "feminine-esque" poses. You could probably do the same with Tahu or Pohatu. 

Edited by The Irrational Rock
  • Upvote 2

bZpOwEr

Yeah, since the horns are directly connected to their brain, one would just have to push the horns to remove the masks.

I see this as a good thing. It makes hitting the mask off easier compared to trying to get a non-blunt object to hit the back of the head. It also puts the Toa and the villains on equal footing. The villains have weapons specifically designed to catch and then rip masks off of our beloved heroes, rather than clumsily trying to get enough force in your sword swing to hit the eye stalk successfully. It only makes sense that there be a similar advantage the Toa can use against the skull villains. Every hero and villain needs a weakness. People act like that's a bad thing, when in all reality it's a very good thing when it comes to playability and imagination.

Honestly, my biggest complaint is it's still unintuitive; knocking the mask off with the horns requires an upwards swipe, and all of the Toa's weapons are designed with a downward swipe in mind.

It may be that it wasn't originally intended as an addition to the function, but just some head decoration to go along with the mask (like Skull Grinder has).  If the function did indeed require the horns to be hit downward, it's possible the designers may not have included that function at all because of how easy it would be to accidentally knock the mask off, even compared to the other sets.

Also, I'm not entirely convinced that hitting the brain stalk is the only intended method of removing a mask, especially since the villains include "ripping" weapons.  It should still be possible to just knock the mask off like with the original sets (though not quite as easily).  The eyestalk flick was a way to actually establish that the mask falling off was intended, because of the confusion the original Kanohi caused.

re: Gali, whether or not she's "feminine" she's still probably the best set this wave in terms of design.

• Upvote 3

OpAXNpl.jpg

OBJECTION! Gali is a good set. If you look at the evidence you'll see that she has amazing articulation and looks more feminine than her previous iterations, meaning.. SHE COULDN'T HAVE BEEN A BAD SET IN THE FIRST PLACE! *The jury gasps and starts talking amongst each other as the judge tries to bring order back into the courtroom*

I don't really see how Gali's build is supposed to look any more feminine than those of the other Toa. Her hips are just as narrow and her shoulders are just as wide. The only thing about her that looks somewhat feminine is her mask wich features a slimmer jaw than the other masks.

Likewise. Personally, I think that Gali looks more gender neutral than anything. From what I've seen, the only reason why people are labeling her as feminine looking is because they've seen her in "feminine-esque" poses. You could probably do the same with Tahu or Pohatu.

CCBS was designed to be the action figure equivalent of bricks. If you don't have a problem with there being multiple brick-based system themes, if you don't think they're "the same thing" because they use bricks, then you shouldn't have a problem with multiple action figure themes sharing these pieces that are made to feel more like, as AFOLs may say, >AHEM<

..."real legos."

You see, I have no problem with HF, CCBS, or the new BIONICLE. This whole time I've been arguing about the behind the scenes designing process and how HF sets and BIONICLE sets have very different influences going on. HF sets usually had the focus of having different abstract armor concepts. BIONICLE seems to pull its design focus from things different from HF. A good example would be how it was stated that Onua's build was inspired by that of gorillas, how it's thought that Kopaka's build was inspired to look bundled up and may have taken inspiration from paladin type armors and characters, even Lewa's inspiration seems to come from simian influences. All I'm saying is that part arrangement is more important to conveying an idea than some are led to believe. Same with all LEGO creations. You could use a wheel on a car or on an airplane. Does that make the airplane a car or the car an airplane? Ideas and imagination are the fundamental bricks when creating with, well, LEGO bricks. That thigh piece may seem simple, and it may be used other places in other sets, but I believe that the particular way it is used was to create at least a mild female appearance with what they had. I think it succeeded, others feel it didn't, but that's not the point. The point is one of the best things about these sets is finding out the ideas and thoughts the designers had while making them and seeing them with new light. :) Edited by BlatantlyHeroic

I'm going to dive into this Gali debate, though I doubt I'll change many minds and will probably regret putting my own opinions into the mix.

It's true that she's not that overtly feminine. The only aspect I'd consider particularly feminine on its own would be her mask, which has organic curves, a pointed jaw, and soft eyes. All in all it's not just more feminine but also more human than the classic Kaukau.

At the same time, she doesn't have features that DETRACT from an appearance of femininity. There's no moustache-like tubing on her mask, like Hahli Inika. No Piraka torsos that make the body almost as wide as it is tall, like Hahli Mahri or 2008 Gali Nuva. And she's not just a clone of her five "brothers", like Nokama.

On top of that, there's another aspect of her that makes her such a strong design—she abstains from problematic features meant to evoke "femininity". She doesn't have stripper heels or a metal bikini like Roodaka, instead sharing the same feet and armor breastplate of the other Toa. She doesn't have the waifish figure (and totally out-of-proportion arms) of Kiina. She's not a caricature or a cartoon, just an armored heroine whom a wide variety of female fans could easily picture themselves as.

Features like her narrower shoulders and her slimmer torso shell, taken on their own, would not be exclusive to a female figure, and indeed several of the other Toa share those features. But combined with all her other features, they make for a figure who is more recognizably female than the other five Toa, which is the most important factor for a character who, fairly or not, ends up tasked with representing the broad spectrum of femininity for the entire cast. And by using subtle, gender-neutral features to build up that look, she ends up as one of the most REALISTICALLY female-looking characters Bionicle has ever had.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 13

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Sure, you could, but for me Gali's feminine look is about more than just the poses she looks good in.

• Her mask feels very feminine to me compared to the others (and certainly more so than her previous masks), with its large pointed eyeholes, small pointed chin, and organic curves.

• Her thighs are sleek, rounded, and the back of the thigh tapers inwards towards the knee rather than outwards away from it (this look is something I considered feminine-looking well before BIONICLE used it for Gali, and I have used it numerous times for female characters in my own MOCs).

• The armor shells on her upper arms are small, lending her a more petite look than Tahu or Pohatu (they are even completely removed in her "Power Up" form).

• Her shoulder armor is placed in such a way that it emphasizes the slope of her shoulders but does not increase their width.

• Her shoulder joints are neither widened nor raised, a trait she shares with only one other Toa — Pohatu.

Certainly some of these traits like her overall sleekness could be argued to have more to do with her element of water than with her gender. None of these traits automatically single her out as a female character on their own. And it goes without saying that some of these traits are shared by male characters, though I need to emphasize that there is no reason a male character must be devoid of feminine-looking features, just as there is no reason a female character must be devoid of masculine-looking features. The new Pohatu, for instance, does look slightly effeminate, and I have no problem with that, having personally seen (and drawn) him as slightly effeminate even in some of his G1 portrayals.

But more to the point, even looking "gender neutral" is far different from looking "mannish". Maybe she looks "mannish" to you, ShadoWolfHount, But if her "mannish" looks were as universal and self-evident as you make them out to be, then it'd take more than a handful of feminine poses to convince so many people otherwise.

You dismiss people who consider the new Gali set feminine as "fanboys". But have you ever asked yourself WHY the set has so many fans, when even today many of those fans will openly broadcast their disdain for past female Toa sets like Toa Inika Hahli or Mistika Toa Gali? Maybe the set has more in its favor than you're willing to consider.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 10

Your logic on this is so off, because Bionicle G2 and Hero Factory build are the same thing, just take off the knob box and change the mask to HF, slap a Hero Core and boom you got a HF set. I wouldn't be shock if you say "But it Bionicle" (thank Mephek for getting me the idea to add that :P).

Well, yeah. Of course, you need to remove the gearbox (a good majority of the set's pieces), remove the new heads, remove the masks, change the names, etc and you have Hero Factory.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I couldn't find a thread that seemed more appropriate.

The story for G2 is really mind-picking, for better or for worse. I thought I'd throw my two cents in & hope others can too. Let's try & make some sense out of this!

Here's a list of all the events we know about:

-Peace in the past of Okoto

-Ekimu & Makuta created Masks for citizens to wear

-Makuta makes Mask Of Ultimate Power

-Makuta puts MOUP on, altering his form, damaging the island & Ekimu knocks off the mask, causing both to sleep eternally

-The masks were scattered across Okoto

-Time Skip to current events

-Skull Spider Invasion ocurrs

-Protectors summon Toa in Temple Of Time

-Flashback of the Prophecy given to Protectors by Ekimu, still in a coma

-Toa land on Okoto, meet their individual Protector & search for the Golden Masks

-After some weeks of travel the Toa & Protectors all find & obtain their GMs with Pohatu, Kopaka, Lewa, Gali & Onua encountering the Lord Of Skull Spiders along the way

-Ekimu sends voices & images to the Toa through the GMs (The Ancient City in ruins with the eyes of LOSS shining through the shadows)

-Protectors send Toa to meet each other & once they do they fight & temporarily defeat LOSS

-Ekimu communicates with the Toa, telling them to seek his grave

-Toa travel to TAC, get disturbed by its terrible condition & a Skull-something's hand rises up from the ground

Hopefully I'll have more time to actually put my thoughts here. Until then, theorize away!

Edited by newbrick93
  • Upvote 2

I have a feeling that we wont see the Mask of Time in any normal capacity, at least not in next two years. But even more so than the Golden Skull Spider Mask. 

• Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

The whole time thing seems to be their big secret/revelation of this generation. Last time we had the giant robot great spirit, now we have "Timeless heroes" "Temple of Time" "Strongest mask of all time" along with the Vahi plastered everywhere. There's a big secret hiding in all of this, and I'm extremely curious to see how all of the dots connect. I've heard whispers and legends that perhaps this is an alternate dimension where Vakama had destroyed the Vahi, which screwed everything up and led to a world where he is Ekimu and Teridax is 'Makuta' since both were closely linked with the mask. The temple of time is being used as a way to mend the fracture. Farfetched? Absolutely! But I wouldn't put it past them to have a reveal just as ludicrous planned out. Remember, before it happened if you asked most people if a giant robot with its faced covered by an island existed and was actually the great spirit himself, you'd get laughed at. Yet some people ended up hitting the nail on the head despite all of the scrutiny they had to endure.

• Upvote 5

I think my theory that the first graphic novel may revolve around the history of Okoto may be true, for example the title "island of lost masks" puts emphasis on well the island, and the lost masks are the masks of creation, control, and ultimate power, all of which were lost during the battle between Makuta and Ekimu, so I think the chapter book may in fact have large emphasis on the history of Okoto. 

Edited by masterchirox580
  • Upvote 4

It's time to move on.

"BUT MAKUTA WANTED TO CREATE THE STRONGEST MASK OF ALL TIME"

"THE STRONGEST MASK OF ALL TIME"

"MASK OF ALL TIME"

"TIME"

Mhm... quite coincidentally the Mask of Time continuously shows up in various easter egg ways in every episode.

Not a coincidence. According to the January/February Lego Magazine insert, the Protectors actually used the Mask of Time to summon the Toa to Okoto. We don't know that mask's specific powers or appearance, but it's clearly important to the story and distinct from the masks of Creation, Control, and Ultimate Power.

I think my theory that the first graphic novel may revolve around the history of Okoto may be true, for example the title "island of lost masks" puts emphasis on well the island, and the lost masks are the masks of creation, control, and ultimate power, all of which were lost during the battle between Makuta and Ekimu, so I think the graphic novel may in fact have large emphasis on the history of Okoto.

A book that focused on Okoto's prehistory would be amazing, and a great way to start the series. Keep in mind, however, that "Island of the Lost Masks" is not the title of the first graphic novel—it's the title of the first chapter book. Which would arguably be even better when it comes to giving us backstory material.

• Upvote 7

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I couldn't find a thread that seemed more appropriate.

The story for G2 is really mind-picking, for better or for worse. I thought I'd throw my two cents in & hope others can too. Let's try & make some sense out of this!

Here's a list of all the events we know about:

-Peace in the past of Okoto

-Ekimu & Makuta created Masks for citizens to wear

-Makuta makes Mask Of Ultimate Power

-Makuta puts MOUP on, altering his form, damaging the island & Ekimu knocks off the mask, causing both to sleep eternally

-The masks were scattered across Okoto

-Time Skip to current events

-Skull Spider Invasion ocurrs

-Protectors summon Toa in Temple Of Time

-Flashback of the Prophecy given to Protectors by Ekimu, still in a coma

-Toa land on Okoto, meet their individual Protector & search for the Golden Masks

-After some weeks of travel the Toa & Protectors all find & obtain their GMs with Pohatu, Kopaka, Lewa, Gali & Onua encountering the Lord Of Skull Spiders along the way

-Ekimu sends voices & images to the Toa through the GMs (The Ancient City in ruins with the eyes of LOSS shining through the shadows)

-Protectors send Toa to meet each other & once they do they fight & temporarily defeat LOSS

-Ekimu communicates with the Toa, telling them to seek his grave

-Toa travel to TAC, get disturbed by its terrible condition & a Skull-something's hand rises up from the ground

Hopefully I'll have more time to actually put my thoughts here. Until then, theorize away!

Okay, time to add some things to this here list. And wouldn't you believe it? It's another list! This time it'll be about questions that need answers & could also give answers to each other or create new questions as we run down them all.

Here's a list of all the things we don't know:

-Why did Ekimu & Makuta make Masks Of Power for everyone if they all lived in relative peace?

-Where were the Toa during Ekimu & Makuta's battle?

-What happened to Makuta's body if he also went into a permanent rest?

-Where did the Masks of Creation, Control & Ultimate Power go after the explosion?

-Who scattered the other Masks afterwards like the narrator says & which Masks were scattered?

-What happened during the Time Skip?

-Where did the Prophecy come from, how did Ekimu know about it, why was it all about the Toa, their Golden Masks & the Skull Spiders & why is it only about the Toa stopping the Skull Spiders & not LOSS, Makuta or any of the other Skull Villains & why does it show them obtaining the Mask Of Creation near the end?

-Why do the Toa not have any memories & why do they have Masks if Ekimu & Makuta are the ones who made them all?

-How did the Protectors know where the Golden Masks were & why couldn't they just retrieve them on their own & keep them safe until the Toa arrived?

-Where did LOSS come from?

-How did LOSS know where all the individual Toa & Protector teams were going & how did it appear at nearly every single sight?

-Why didn't LOSS appear at the volcano where Tahu was going?

-What happened to TAC that caused it to be abandoned, why do we see LOSS' eyes glow in the flashback, how do the Protectors know about it & why didn't they go in more detail?

-Why can't the Protectors go with the Toa on their journey to meet each other?

-Why does meeting each other not trigger any sort of memory in any of the Toa?

-How did LOSS know where the Toa were meeting & why didn't it summon any Skull Spiders during this battle?

-Why does Ekimu need the Toa to appear near his resting place & why didn't he just tell them to go look for the Mask Of Creation through their GMs?

-Why does TAC have the Skull Villains buried underneath it?

-What's with all this emphasis on Time with the Easter Eggs of the Mask Of Time, the Protecters' lair being called the Temple Of Time & the Toa themselves being called "Timeless" heroes?

Whew! Glad I got all those typed out. But again, time (ironically) restricts me from posting more. What do you guys think of all this? Did I ask too many questions? Not enough? How do you think these all connect? Hopefully next time I can really say what I think, but until next time. XD

Edited by newbrick93
  • Upvote 3

I went to LEGOLAND CA on Monday. While the Hero Factory exhibit in the Imagination Zone has yet to be rechristened and redecorated as BIONICLE, the pieces in the building tables are now predominantly BIONICLE... from Gen 1. The oldest I noticed were the assorted Toa Mata masks (none in its native color.) It seems that LEGOLAND keeps some things in storage for a long time.

It was quite heartening to hear a young lad, probably around six, exclaim "those are amazing!" as he beheld the BIONICLE 2015 display in the Big Shop.

• Upvote 7

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

I went to LEGOLAND CA on Monday. While the Hero Factory exhibit in the Imagination Zone has yet to be rechristened and redecorated as BIONICLE, the pieces in the building tables are now predominantly BIONICLE... from Gen 1. The oldest I noticed were the assorted Toa Mata masks (none in its native color.) It seems that LEGOLAND keeps some things in storage for a long time.

It was quite heartening to hear a young lad, probably around six, exclaim "those are amazing!" as he beheld the BIONICLE 2015 display in the Big Shop.

It's good to know that Bionicle is just as amazing for the new generation as it was for us. 

I actually really want to see what would happen if a little kid goes and looks up G1.

• Upvote 4

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

It's good to know that Bionicle is just as amazing for the new generation as it was for us. 

I actually really want to see what would happen if a little kid goes and looks up G1.

We are the Turaga of the new generation.

• Upvote 5

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

Thank you SO much for making everyone on this topic feel awesome... and old. :P

• Upvote 5

Thank you SO much for making everyone on this topic feel awesome... and old. :P

No problem! :D

• Upvote 3

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

I was there a week or so ago and they had a ton of those G1 masks. I'm sure they've had them forever, but the red akakus and white kakamas looked brand new. It was weirdly exciting.

• Upvote 5

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

I was there a week or so ago and they had a ton of those G1 masks. I'm sure they've had them forever, but the red akakus and white kakamas looked brand new. It was weirdly exciting.
I think it'd be pretty cool if they sold limited edition masks that were pretty much the 2001 mask designs altered to fit the new heads. I'd make so many Pakari MOCS.. Edited by BlatantlyHeroic
  • Upvote 2

I'm going to dive into this Gali debate, though I doubt I'll change many minds and will probably regret putting my own opinions into the mix.

It's true that she's not that overtly feminine. The only aspect I'd consider particularly feminine on its own would be her mask, which has organic curves, a pointed jaw, and soft eyes. All in all it's not just more feminine but also more human than the classic Kaukau.

At the same time, she doesn't have features that DETRACT from an appearance of femininity. There's no moustache-like tubing on her mask, like Hahli Inika. No Piraka torsos that make the body almost as wide as it is tall, like Hahli Mahri or 2008 Gali Nuva. And she's not just a clone of her five "brothers", like Nokama.

On top of that, there's another aspect of her that makes her such a strong design—she abstains from problematic features meant to evoke "femininity". She doesn't have stripper heels or a metal bikini like Roodaka, instead sharing the same feet and armor breastplate of the other Toa. She doesn't have the waifish figure (and totally out-of-proportion arms) of Kiina. She's not a caricature or a cartoon, just an armored heroine whom a wide variety of female fans could easily picture themselves as.

Features like her narrower shoulders and her slimmer torso shell, taken on their own, would not be exclusive to a female figure, and indeed several of the other Toa share those features. But combined with all her other features, they make for a figure who is more recognizably female than the other five Toa, which is the most important factor for a character who, fairly or not, ends up tasked with representing the broad spectrum of femininity for the entire cast. And by using subtle, gender-neutral features to build up that look, she ends up as one of the most REALISTICALLY female-looking characters Bionicle has ever had.

I agree with this 100% I actually just got her a couple days ago and I now have all the Toa, 2 Protectors and LoSS. Now I just have 4 Protectors left to go until the summer wave...

Also, anyone else think the blaster for the newly announced First Order Stormtrooper might give a bit more credence to the rumors about spring-loaded shooters with legs for 2016? I'm not saying I believe it per say but I thought I'd bring it up.

Edited by ToaDraco
  • Upvote 2

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

I agree with this 100% I actually just got her a couple days ago and I now have all the Toa, 2 Protectors and LoSS. Now I just have 4 Protectors left to go until the summer wave...

Also, anyone else think the blaster for the newly announced First Order Stormtrooper might give a bit more credence to the rumors about spring-loaded shooters with legs for 2016? I'm not saying I believe it per say but I thought I'd bring it up.

I don't like that rumor at all due to the fact that within it the new sets don't get anymore shell add-ons reminiscent of the BIONICLE of yore. Not to mention they borrow the leg shells from the new star wars construction sets, which are too smooth for any BIONICLE aesthetic I would want.
  • Upvote 1

Considering the "sketch" that came with that rumor looked completely different from the Technic/System fusion used for the new blasters, I'd think that if anything this is just further evidence of how contrived that story was. It's easy to make up a story that's believable if you base it on already widespread speculation and pictures, but that doesn't mean the truth of the matter will line up with it in the end.

• Upvote 4

Considering the "sketch" that came with that rumor looked completely different from the Technic/System fusion used for the new blasters, I'd think that if anything this is just further evidence of how contrived that story was. It's easy to make up a story that's believable if you base it on already widespread speculation and pictures, but that doesn't mean the truth of the matter will line up with it in the end.

Wait so talking about this doesn't violate the leak policy? In which case I agree, the idea for the sets the guy brought up were just weird and didn't sound like anything done with the theme before.

• Upvote 1

It's time to move on.

I'm going to dive into this Gali debate, though I doubt I'll change many minds and will probably regret putting my own opinions into the mix.It's true that she's not that overtly feminine. The only aspect I'd consider particularly feminine on its own would be her mask, which has organic curves, a pointed jaw, and soft eyes. All in all it's not just more feminine but also more human than the classic Kaukau.At the same time, she doesn't have features that DETRACT from an appearance of femininity. There's no moustache-like tubing on her mask, like Hahli Inika. No Piraka torsos that make the body almost as wide as it is tall, like Hahli Mahri or 2008 Gali Nuva. And she's not just a clone of her five "brothers", like Nokama.On top of that, there's another aspect of her that makes her such a strong design—she abstains from problematic features meant to evoke "femininity". She doesn't have stripper heels or a metal bikini like Roodaka, instead sharing the same feet and armor breastplate of the other Toa. She doesn't have the waifish figure (and totally out-of-proportion arms) of Kiina. She's not a caricature or a cartoon, just an armored heroine whom a wide variety of female fans could easily picture themselves as.Features like her narrower shoulders and her slimmer torso shell, taken on their own, would not be exclusive to a female figure, and indeed several of the other Toa share those features. But combined with all her other features, they make for a figure who is more recognizably female than the other five Toa, which is the most important factor for a character who, fairly or not, ends up tasked with representing the broad spectrum of femininity for the entire cast. And by using subtle, gender-neutral features to build up that look, she ends up as one of the most REALISTICALLY female-looking characters Bionicle has ever had.

I agree with this 100% I actually just got her a couple days ago and I now have all the Toa, 2 Protectors and LoSS. Now I just have 4 Protectors left to go until the summer wave... Also, anyone else think the blaster for the newly announced First Order Stormtrooper might give a bit more credence to the rumors about spring-loaded shooters with legs for 2016? I'm not saying I believe it per say but I thought I'd bring it up.
I'd also like to add that the "new torso piece", while looking almost identical to the Star Wars one, attaches as a shell add-on. This seems to show overall ignorance of how the current Star Wars Constraction sets work design-wise and I doubt LEGO would make a shell add-on variant just for funzies. That's just a waste of money. There are two possibilities to all of this: The guy is obviously lying and making a false rumor based off of the upcoming Star Wars Constraction sets to spread fear/uncertainty within the BIONICLE community, OR what he saw were preliminary Star Wars Constraction sets.

Edit: It's not a "leak" because it's absolutely baseless and for all intents and purposes, most likely fake due to its "play it safe" kind of nature.

• Upvote 4

So can  I heckle people from afar if the person turns out to be right?  :onfire:  :smash:  :takepic:

• Upvote 3

te0FrhT.jpg