OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Got skull warrior, he's pretty cool. I'm appreciating the villains more as I stack them up side by side. Anyone have a problem with removing the tan pins from his hands? I can't seem to do it :P maybe I'm just weak

If you look at the hand you should see a small notch near where the axle can go in. Try working a thin object in there or use your fingernail and see if you can pry it out. At least that's what I do when a problem like this comes up for me.

• Upvote 2

I'm not really sure what you mean by angling them a certain way, with every angle I take the bow out the pin stays in the hands. Maybe the friction varies per set?

Like, you try to create friction with the connection point in the bow and the pin. It works all the time for both my Warrior and my Vizuna.

Looks like Kopaka never recovered from his slip.  :(

RIP Kopeeka- 2015 - 2015

EDIT: Looks like Kopaka actually pulled through. May he and Malum live in peace and holy matrimony!

This isn't referring to what I think it is... right? If it is... site rules prohibit it...

RIP Kopeeka- 2015 - 2015

EDIT: Looks like Kopaka actually pulled through. May he and Malum live in peace and holy matrimony!

This isn't referring to what I think it is... right? If it is... site rules prohibit it...

I don't know what you think it's referring to, but I don't see anything there that would be against the rules.

Of course, it is worth keeping in mind that this is the 2015 topic. As such, discussion of Kopaka's inclusion in the 2016 sets doesn't really belong here.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

RIP Kopeeka- 2015 - 2015

I don't know what you think it's referring to, but I don't see anything there that would be against the rules.

There has been controversy on whether Kopaka would return due to... reasons, but it ended up that he is of course, and.. well I can't really go into further territory. Let's just say people are using Malum to refer to something else. Leak season has begun, and all of this is part of recent things revolving around that. 

Edited by BlatantlyHeroic

Umm... it IS a leak. The whole thing with the Toa, the creatures, Kopaka and Melum is 2016 set territory, sets that have yet to be officially released or confirmed by LEGO. They were found inside of Amazon, yes, but not placed there by LEGO. Now if the information was found hidden in LEGO's site, it'd be a different story. 

• Upvote 2

I love those set names, they're actual names! It sounds like the Toa are going on safari or something next year. It sounds pretty cool.

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

Umm... it IS a leak. The whole thing with the Toa, the creatures, Kopaka and Melum is 2016 set territory, sets that have yet to be officially released or confirmed by LEGO. They were found inside of Amazon, yes, but not placed there by LEGO. Now if the information was found hidden in LEGO's site, it'd be a different story. 

But Amazon had to get the information from LEGO, and then Amazon made a mistake. The mods have said that it is not a leak. People are only saying Malum because it's a joke.

Is all good, I was slightly confused about whether they were leaks or not too. I found it kinda funny when I saw BZP report on it.

By the way, the name Melum is absolutely lovely. Reminds me of melons and sweets!

On the other hand it doesn't sound like a villain or a steed Kopaka would ride, but again- melons!

Is all good, I was slightly confused about whether they were leaks or not too. I found it kinda funny when I saw BZP report on it.

By the way, the name Melum is absolutely lovely. Reminds me of melons and sweets!

On the other hand it doesn't sound like a villain or a steed Kopaka would ride, but again- melons!

It made me think of Mel, the Latin word for Honey.

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

One thing I like about the bionicle 2015 villain wave is you can tell they're actively trying to make each set different. With the old bionicle, just about every set of villains were basically just color pallet swaps of each other with different weapons.

Edited by hiddenderek
  • Upvote 5

One thing I like about the bionicle 2015 villain wave is you can tell they're actively trying to make each set different. With the old bionicle, just about every set of villains were basically just color pallet swaps of each other with different weapons.

Truthfully speaking, the only exceptions were the Barraki. I mean, I guess the Makuta from 2008 "kinda" count, but they're not varied to the point that their builds are breathtakingly different and unique. It's still pretty much "You have one you have them all".

• Upvote 1

Sorta true, though in my mind not entirely. I feel it's a little unfair to say every wave every Bionicle villains were just color swaps of each other. Later in the line the villains got a lot more creative (generally Barraki onward), though I definitely see where you're coming from, since the majority of it were clone sets. Even later sets are often criticized for being generic/plain because of the lack of innovation with every inika build figure.

I'd still argue though that in some aspects the new villains don't have as much variation. For example, though they all share parts of them that make them unified, I would have loved to have seen more done to Kulta and Skull Slicer to separate them a little more as individuals and break up the same motif going on with the other villains. And although they're not color swaps of each other, it's notable that they have somewhat less inspired color schemes, which all have a similar base of greys/blacks that take up most of their bodies, and accents that are snuck around.

In all honesty, though I don't own them, the skull villains have grown on me a lot since I first saw them. I always expected more of them, and to an extent still feel there is more to be desired, but they accomplish a lot of great things that makes them stand out among previous Bionicle villains.

I don't know if they're the ideal set of Bionicle villains though. For me, I still feel the Barraki were the best since they had so much diversity and looked entirely different from each other in almost every way, but still managed to look unified by the underwater sea creature appearance that varied heavily for each one. They managed to look different and similar at the same time, which worked out great along side the story as well since they could be recognized as individuals more but still be a group. Perhaps that's what I'd like to see more of with the villains, though the more and more I think about it I do think it's still a good idea to have villain sets that are "drones" or "soldiers" that there are many of.

Sorta true, though in my mind not entirely. I feel it's a little unfair to say every wave every Bionicle villains were just color swaps of each other. Later in the line the villains got a lot more creative (generally Barraki onward), though I definitely see where you're coming from, since the majority of it were clone sets. Even later sets are often criticized for being generic/plain because of the lack of innovation with every inika build figure.

I'd still argue though that in some aspects the new villains don't have as much variation. For example, though they all share parts of them that make them unified, I would have loved to have seen more done to Kulta and Skull Slicer to separate them a little more as individuals and break up the same motif going on with the other villains. And although they're not color swaps of each other, it's notable that they have somewhat less inspired color schemes, which all have a similar base of greys/blacks that take up most of their bodies, and accents that are snuck around.

In all honesty, though I don't own them, the skull villains have grown on me a lot since I first saw them. I always expected more of them, and to an extent still feel there is more to be desired, but they accomplish a lot of great things that makes them stand out among previous Bionicle villains.

I don't know if they're the ideal set of Bionicle villains though. For me, I still feel the Barraki were the best since they had so much diversity and looked entirely different from each other in almost every way, but still managed to look unified by the underwater sea creature appearance that varied heavily for each one. They managed to look different and similar at the same time, which worked out great along side the story as well since they could be recognized as individuals more but still be a group. Perhaps that's what I'd like to see more of with the villains, though the more and more I think about it I do think it's still a good idea to have villain sets that are "drones" or "soldiers" that there are many of.

Buy them. Your opinion will be very different when you have them all together in person. 

• Upvote 3

I was pretty disappointed myself that the skull gang all share a bunch of parts. At the very least, everybody having unique masks would've been nice. The unique builds sort of make up for it, anyways.

The uniter/unifier terminology makes me wonder. Are they uniting all the tribes together into one civilization again, once the city's been restored?

• Upvote 1

I was pretty disappointed myself that the skull gang all share a bunch of parts. At the very least, everybody having unique masks would've been nice. The unique builds sort of make up for it, anyways.

The uniter/unifier terminology makes me wonder. Are they uniting all the tribes together into one civilization again, once the city's been restored?

It kind of makes me miss BIONICLE's later years where sets (mainly villains) Would sometimes have unique parts only for their build. Takadox had his unique mantis thingies, Elek had his "Shredder" claws , Antroz had his wings and blades, Chirox had his blades, things like that. Of course this year was pretty much a test, so next year might be better when it comes to part variety. 

Edited by BlatantlyHeroic

*snip*

Buy them. Your opinion will be very different when you have them all together in person. 

You're probably right; it's not entirely fair of me to judge the sets much before I actually have them in front of me. I remember when there were leaks of the first toa sets (we can at least reference those now, right? no? yes? aw shucks ai dunoo) I was pretty excited but in the back of my mind I was unsure about them and if they would really be able to work, but seeing them at comic con completely eliminated all doubt for me.

*snip*

This is a good question because on one hand, it'll be a cool and good event/happening to put down in the new themes history, but on the other hand I fear we barely got to see how villager life is right now. It's worth noting that apparently there might be multiple villages for each element, so they could be less important settlements that have served as a place holder for the ancient city, the Protector's true home, and so that would make it better, though it would always be great to know how things are for them exactly in their smaller villages. On detail I'd like to know is exactly why they split apart after being run out of the city. The best guess I can think of is they grouped together and moved into the elemental regions that suited each type best, since there was the most room there and protectors of other elements might now be content living in environments other than their own general types.

The concept of the Protectors reuniting is really important to think about right now because the idea alludes a lot to Metru-Nui to me, since there is one great city they're moving to to unite as one people. Perhaps some of the answers to the future can be found in the past? I think it's pretty likely, especially with the buzz of unifier sets, it makes the most sense to me, though I shouldn't come to any conclusions based on the limited clues we have so far.

What if some of the villagers don't WANT to leave for the Ancient City? It's been centuries since the great cataclysm, and the villages the newest generation inhabits is home to them now. They have no connection to the ancient city other than the fact that their great great great great grandparents might have lived there. Perhaps this is part of the conflict the Toa face? Convincing the villagers that their legacy is worth more than their current comfortability? 

• Upvote 1

I mean. We basically know nothing about the relations between each of the villages. Maybe the division of the tribes forced by the Great Cataclysm caused them all to grow distant. Potentially, some of them have feuds and or hate each other. Instead of being a strong single civilization on Okoto, divided they're six weak ones, so they must be united. Not sure how element creatures and that shady Hunter fit in to all of that, though. :P

Edited by IXRollOutIX
  • Upvote 2

I mean. We basically know nothing about the relations between each of the villages. Maybe the division of the tribes forced by the Great Cataclysm caused them all to grow distant. Potentially, some of them have feuds and or hate each other. Instead of being a strong single civilization on Okoto, divided they're six weak ones, so they must be united. Not sure how element creatures and that shady Hunter fit in to all of that, though. :P

Bara Magna all over again. Yaaayyy.... (Noooooooooooooo!!)

But yeah, that'd be interesting. Although it seems like Jungle and Stone get along pretty well. 

Edited by Tarvaxx

Tahu: "We're under fire!"

Kopaka: "I hate fire"

That was really bad.

I don't see how... if anything it gives more depth to the hostility between Tahu and Kopaka, which is much appreciated.

How does it add anything? Hating Tahu and hating his element are kinda two different things. Plus it was happening when the skull warriors were firing at them so it was clearly a pun on the situation (a really bad pun). 

It's time to move on.

If you can't see the inherent comedy in Kopaka taking the time out of his busy schedule of dying horribly in an undead ambush to mutter insults at this dude he just met then I'm sorry your sense of humor cannot be fixed.

• Upvote 11

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

If you can't see the inherent comedy in Kopaka taking the time out of his busy schedule of dying horribly in an undead ambush to mutter insults at this dude he just met then I'm sorry your sense of humor cannot be fixed.

Was that sarcasm?

It absolutely was not. That scene is ON PAR with Kopaka's first encounter with Pohatu back in '01.

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 3

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Was that sarcasm?

It absolutely was not. That scene is ON PAR with Kopaka's first encounter with Pohatu back in '01.

So Kopaka casually showing off his awesomeness to Pohatu whilst Pohatu does his best not to be upstaged by him is on par with a bad pun?

It's time to move on.