OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Yeah, someone should make an official Island of the Lost Masks discussion thread.

What, like this one?

Edited by GSR
  • Upvote 3

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Does Amazon not do midnight releases? I was totally going to read the whole thing, too. XD

On Kindle they do.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

The first thing that I notice about Kulta and LoSS is that they've practically identical color schemes. It looks good.

• Upvote 1

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Does Amazon not do midnight releases? I was totally going to read the whole thing, too. XD

On Kindle they do.
What else would I be talking about? It's not like I had camped out in front of a bookstore waiting for it to be released. I thought everyone would assume that I meant digital. XD

The first thing that I notice about Kulta and LoSS is that they've practically identical color schemes. It looks good.

Kind of? The big difference is that Kulta makes heavy use of Silver Metallic and Titanium Metallic, whereas LoSS doesn't use any metallic colors at all (being almost uniformly black apart from the Tr. Fluor. Reddish Orange bits). Both color schemes work, don't get me wrong, but when I look at them they're very distinct from one another.

Meanwhile, regarding someone's earlier claim that there's no reason to get LoSS or Skull Scorpio other than their exclusive masks, that couldn't be further from the truth. LoSS has the most complex and engaging build of any Bionicle set this year, a great function, and is arguably the closest thing we've gotten to the 2001 Rahi since at least 2003 (also, those transparent Technic beams are the bee's knees). Skull Scorpio also has a fantastic function (perhaps the best of the Skull Villains for the express purpose of pulling off masks), a unique build, and a decent number of unique recolored elements (including the Trans. Fluor. Green skeleton torso shell and a whopping six of the large spider leg element in Titanium Metallic, its first appearance in a neutral color).

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Meanwhile, regarding someone's earlier claim that there's no reason to get LoSS or Skull Scorpio other than their exclusive masks, that couldn't be further from the truth. LoSS has the most complex and engaging build of any Bionicle set this year, a great function, and is arguably the closest thing we've gotten to the 2001 Rahi since at least 2003 (also, those transparent Technic beams are the bee's knees). Skull Scorpio also has a fantastic function (perhaps the best of the Skull Villains for the express purpose of pulling off masks), a unique build, and a decent number of unique recolored elements (including the Trans. Fluor. Green skeleton torso shell and a whopping six of the large spider leg element in Titanium Metallic, its first appearance in a neutral color).

Gonna second this. I found both sets underwhelming from a box-art perspective, but I love the IRL, Rahi-esque builds of each.

LoSS has a satisfying amount of actual Technic framing, and Scorpio makes CCBS interesting again (plus a reliable function with a great weight to it).

• Upvote 1

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

Kind of? The big difference is that Kulta makes heavy use of Silver Metallic and Titanium Metallic, whereas LoSS doesn't use any metallic colors at all (being almost uniformly black apart from the Tr. Fluor. Reddish Orange bits). Both color schemes work, don't get me wrong, but when I look at them they're very distinct from one another.

The trans red and dark colors is what I meant. While Kulta favours metallic, he still resembles LoSS to the point where I wonder if LoSS wouldn't make a better addition to the combo model than Ekimu. I know the combo models keep things in the same wave, but it's a thought.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

In all honesty, Grinder doesn't sound that intimidating or indicative of leadership. 

I'd suggest Overlord... or perhaps, you know, a normal name? I still don't see why the set wasn't simply named Ekimu vs. Kulta... why did we get stuck with such generic names?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I still don't see why the set wasn't simply named Ekimu vs. Kulta... why did we get stuck with such generic names?

Because "Ekimu" and "Kulta" mean nothing to the average person.  It's the same reason the sets are "Tahu Master of Fire" instead of "Toa Tahu" and "Protector of Fire" instead of "Narmoto".  They're descriptive names that let consumers know something about the characters without them having to be versed in the backstory already.  They're also easier to remember for those who don't follow the story.  You tell someone about "Narmoto" and they might think you're talking about a ninja in an orange jumpsuit.

• Upvote 7

OpAXNpl.jpg

I still don't see why the set wasn't simply named Ekimu vs. Kulta... why did we get stuck with such generic names?

Because "Ekimu" and "Kulta" mean nothing to the average person.  It's the same reason the sets are "Tahu Master of Fire" instead of "Toa Tahu" and "Protector of Fire" instead of "Narmoto".  They're descriptive names that let consumers know something about the characters without them having to be versed in the backstory already.  They're also easier to remember for those who don't follow the story.  You tell someone about "Narmoto" and they might think you're talking about a ninja in an orange jumpsuit.

Exactly my thoughts. There is no "stuck with", that's just the name on the box.

• Upvote 3

Basically. And while they can include both names AND descriptions on the Toa boxes, Ekimu the Mask Maker vs. Kulta the Skull Grinder is a heck of a long name for a single set.

• Upvote 4

Basically. And while they can include both names AND descriptions on the Toa boxes, Ekimu the Mask Maker vs. Kulta the Skull Grinder is a heck of a long name for a single set.

Plus, if a kid asks their parents to get them "Ekimu vs. Kulta", they're most likely going to forget the name and get the kid something completely different.

• Upvote 2

They easily could have called him Kulta, the Skull Grinder and Ekimu the mask maker. Same with all the other skull villains. Plenty of other action figures get away with less generic names. Or if they wanted to have the set describe the fight it could have been 'battle for the mask of creation' or something, they do that kind of thing with regular Lego play sets all the time.

They easily could have called him Kulta, the Skull Grinder and Ekimu the mask maker. Same with all the other skull villains. Plenty of other action figures get away with less generic names. Or if they wanted to have the set describe the fight it could have been 'battle for the mask of creation' or something, they do that kind of thing with regular Lego play sets all the time.

"Kulta the Skull Grinder vs. Ekimu the Mask Maker" is a very long name for a LEGO set of its type.

And, yes, they do that for playlets, not figures.  "Battle for the Mask of Creation" would imply a large playlet, not a two-figure pack.  Not only that, it wouldn't address the gripes over "generic" names, just replacing an English character description with an English event description.

• Upvote 3

OpAXNpl.jpg

"Kulta the Skull Grinder vs. Ekimu the Mask Maker" is a very long name for a LEGO set of its type.

And, yes, they do that for playlets, not figures.  "Battle for the Mask of Creation" would imply a large playlet, not a two-figure pack.  Not only that, it wouldn't address the gripes over "generic" names, just replacing an English character description with an English event description.

That's got nothing on

Viking Double Catapault versus the Armoured Ofnir Dragon

Edited by Bonkle
  • Upvote 3

Viking Double Catapault versus the Armoured Ofnir Dragon

I tell you what, 2005 was a weird year for LEGO.

• Upvote 4

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Plus, if a kid asks their parents to get them "Ekimu vs. Kulta", they're most likely going to forget the name and get the kid something completely different.

If a kid asked for one of the Skull villains or Protectors, the parent would still be very prone to getting the wrong set due to the prefix and repetitive name structure. Having non-prefixed/suffixed names, like Witch Doctor, Splitface or even Kulta would be much easier to memorise. Any good parent would note the name of the set rather than attempting to memorise it, but having generic names is still a bit safer.

• Upvote 1

The thing about Hero Factory was that set names were either existing names or portmanteaus of existing words. Those would naturally be easier to remember than distinguishing between the made-up names of Bionicle.

Only the toa have set titles with made-up names so far.

Skull Basher

Skull Slicer

Skull Grinder

Skull Warrior

Skull Scorpio

Protector of [element]

[Toa name], Master of [element]

Bionicle 2015 just makes each group of sets sound the same, and you have to distinguish the sets by a single keyword in the formulaic title. The toa are okay because the keyword comes first, but I think "Master of" sounds silly (i.e. worse than "Mark Surge") and it gets annoying to see every second MOC follow the same convention or use the "2.0" of HF.

At the end of the day, the set title is hardly a big deal, unless you don't learn the name of the character until seven months later.

• Upvote 1

If a kid asked for one of the Skull villains or Protectors, the parent would still be very prone to getting the wrong set due to the prefix and repetitive name structure. Having non-prefixed/suffixed names, like Witch Doctor, Splitface or even Kulta would be much easier to memorise. Any good parent would note the name of the set rather than attempting to memorise it, but having generic names is still a bit safer.

What I always found most effective with Bionicle was to ask for sets by color. My parents/grandparents were pretty good about recognizing new/previous lines, so as long as a "You already have green, blue and red, right?" conversation happened, names were a non-issue.

That said, characters like the skull villains would probably have to be described based on weapons/format ("scorpion"), just because the colors are less clearly delineated (and they're all on a purple background, etc.).

• Upvote 2

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

"Grinder", "Basher", "Slicer", "Warrior", and "Scorpio" are different enough words that I don't think there would be a big issue in distinguishing them, especially since they're real words instead of made-up ones.

The thing about Hero Factory was that set names were either existing names or portmanteaus of existing words. Those would naturally be easier to remember than distinguishing between the made-up names of Bionicle.

Only the toa have set titles with made-up names so far.

Skull Basher

Skull Slicer

Skull Grinder

Skull Warrior

Skull Scorpio

Protector of [element]

[Toa name], Master of [element]

Bionicle 2015 just makes each group of sets sound the same, and you have to distinguish the sets by a single keyword in the formulaic title. The toa are okay because the keyword comes first, but I think "Master of" sounds silly (i.e. worse than "Mark Surge") and it gets annoying to see every second MOC follow the same convention or use the "2.0" of HF.

Maybe this year, but pretty much every BIONICLE set of G1 had a completely made up name, often including made up prefixes or suffixes.  "Toa Hordika Vakama" and "Toa Hordika Nokama", for instance, will be much harder to distinguish than, for example, "Protector of Fire" and "Protector of Water", because once again the difference in the name is a real word that people will already know.  If someone can remember they're looking for "Water", the blue box with bubbles will stand out against the fiery red box and icy white box.

"[MOC] Master of [Element]" isn't really different than "Toa [MOC]" or "[MOC] Nuva" or any other naming conventions copied from canon.

• Upvote 7

OpAXNpl.jpg

...pretty much every BIONICLE set of G1 had a completely made up name, often including made up prefixes or suffixes.  "Toa Hordika Vakama" and "Toa Hordika Nokama", for instance, will be much harder to distinguish than, for example, "Protector of Fire" and "Protector of Water", because once again the difference in the name is a real word that people will already know.  If someone can remember they're looking for "Water", the blue box with bubbles will stand out against the fiery red box and icy white box.

True, G1 had lots of harder to remember names, especially in the earlier years with clone sets like the Vahki.

"[MOC] Master of [Element]" isn't really different than "Toa [MOC]" or "[MOC] Nuva" or any other naming conventions copied from canon.

"Toa" just refers to the species of the MOC, but I think both "Master of" and "Nuva" are specific to Tahu's team.

...pretty much every BIONICLE set of G1 had a completely made up name, often including made up prefixes or suffixes. "Toa Hordika Vakama" and "Toa Hordika Nokama", for instance, will be much harder to distinguish than, for example, "Protector of Fire" and "Protector of Water", because once again the difference in the name is a real word that people will already know. If someone can remember they're looking for "Water", the blue box with bubbles will stand out against the fiery red box and icy white box.

True, G1 had lots of harder to remember names, especially in the earlier years with clone sets like the Vahki.

"Toa" just refers to the species of the MOC, but I think both "Master of" and "Nuva" are specific to Tahu's team.
Well it's a possibility that there will be more Masters in the future.

bZpOwEr

...pretty much every BIONICLE set of G1 had a completely made up name, often including made up prefixes or suffixes.  "Toa Hordika Vakama" and "Toa Hordika Nokama", for instance, will be much harder to distinguish than, for example, "Protector of Fire" and "Protector of Water", because once again the difference in the name is a real word that people will already know.  If someone can remember they're looking for "Water", the blue box with bubbles will stand out against the fiery red box and icy white box.

"Master of" definitely isn't specific to Tahu's team. It's a plain text description. Toa Jovan was literally described as "Master of Magnetism" in the Lego magazine where he was first shown. You could just as easily describe Toa Lhikan as a "Master of Fire", and you still wouldn't be wrong. "Masters" is not intended as a team identifier by any stretch of the imagination.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 1

Hey people... So 've been absent for quite quite some time, and have been brought back by the revival of the series.  

I stopped buying Lego altogether in 2008, I was going into high school and it wasn't "cool" to collect toys anymore so I just put a stop to it and just followed the story until mid 2009. After some time, I went back to buying Transformers, something I've done during most of my childhood, and became a collector. 

Now, seeing the Toa, the original six, back again, with modern designs, I have been motivated to make an exception and buy these guys. I'm not really interested in the Skull Villains, only the six Toa. (BTW, got an Onua arriving in the mail, any general opinions on him?)

One thing I find funny is just observing how the community and fanbase is reacting and adapting to Bionicle having a second iteration, especially after I've come from a franchise like Transformers, that has a number of different continuities that have nothing to do with each other and even different interpretations of the same continuity. 

I also now have developed a collector's point of view. I now see the current and past sets from a perspective greater than "I like this guy!" I now can understand opinions and critique that I just didn't have the mindset to understand when I was just a teenager, just someone that bought toys. 

This all has been an enlightening experience. (I know it may sound overly deep for something so trivial) and I really glad to be back here after so much time...  ^_^

• Upvote 7

Avoid accidents!

Do it on Purpose!

Hilight area-> | HI | Remember: Stealing ideas from one person is crime, stealing from a lot is research!

Has anyone else noticed that the Toa who only have the gear function in one arm all have said function in their right arm?

The same was true of the one-handed geared Toa in G1. In a society dominated by righties, you don't see a lot of left-handed action figures.

I mean, there were some arguably left-handed figures, but they happened after gears were long gone.

• Upvote 3

I love how every time Onua breaks something, it's because someone else tells him to, but he gets the blame.

"Bury them, Onua." Onua breaks the bridge, everyone freaks out, and Gali just kind of shuts up after that.

"Hit the lever." Onua smashes the lever, Tahu and Kopaka almost die, and Lewa never mentions it again.

HAHAHA!

Lewa does mention it. A lot.

• Upvote 1