OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

I think Skull Scorpio is cool!  I won't be getting him, but I only ever get one or two sets per wave, and Skull Grinder vs Mask Maker is clearly my buy for the summer.  But I think it's really refreshing to see a non-humanoid build, I think he looks considerably menacing, and I love the tail-functionality.  He definitely could've been a lot better, but all things considered I think he's a great foray into the more interesting, more technic sides of Bionicle, and I hope Lego continues to switch things up and give us sets that aren't just standard CCBS builds with different armor shells.

On a different note-- does anybody feel like insufficient hype was generated for Bionicle in 2015?  Between the capacity for engagement with a really cool, unique story and the existing fanbase or at least general knowledge of its existence, there could've been a ton of hyping-up by the Lego group in anticipation of the release, with considerable teasers and viral marketing, and though there certainly was a bit of that, I can't help but feel that it may have been possible to generate even more excitement pre-January 2015 and end up driving sales even further.  Pair that with significant story material to release piece-by-piece until the summer wave, and Lego rides the hype train into 2016... instead we're getting a series of super brief animations and, it appears, not much else.  

I just get the feeling, and I don't think I'm completely alone on this thought, that Lego wanted to play it safe with Bionicle and not take too many risks in case it failed again... and most of Bionicle's return was done with just a bit of work put into it, and meant to just fly under the radar and see what happens.  And maybe they could've really gotten much higher sales with a good deal more work put into all the material for it; but maybe I'm way off base.

• Upvote 5

8NHf8fu.png

Everything is some kind of a plot, man.

Found on Amazon:

Bionicle chapter book #1

Bionicle activity book #1

Both are listed as releasing on August 25. The chapter book is written by Ryder Windham, who seems to have written or contributed on numerous Star Wars books and novelizations. The activity book says "with mask", but I doubt it will be an exclusive mask given that comparable activity books for themes such as Ninjago or Friends never include exclusive figs.

Nice find! :)

August 25 doesn't seem that far away IMO. I was kind of expecting the books to be released sometime in September or October, but I'm not complaining about this at all. :P

An interesting note from the Chapter Book description is that it says that the Toa 'fight for powerful masks that can be used for good, or evil...' This reminds me of the trans-colored masks coming with the summer sets. Maybe those are some of the Gold Masks that they get their hands on, and they change from only being gold masks to gold and a trans-color masks because the Skull enemies are using them instead of the Toa. I guess we'll have to wait and see on that.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Found on Amazon:

Bionicle chapter book #1

Both are listed as releasing on August 25. The chapter book is written by Ryder Windham, who seems to have written or contributed on numerous Star Wars books and novelizations. The activity book says "with mask", but I doubt it will be an exclusive mask given that comparable activity books for themes such as Ninjago or Friends never include exclusive figs.

Nice find! :)

August 25 doesn't seem that far away IMO. I was kind of expecting the books to be released sometime in September or October, but I'm not complaining about this at all. :P

An interesting note from the Chapter Book description is that it says that the Toa 'fight for powerful masks that can be used for good, or evil...' This reminds me of the trans-colored masks coming with the summer sets. Maybe those are some of the Gold Masks that they get their hands on, and they change from only being gold masks to gold and a trans-color masks because the Skull enemies are using them instead of the Toa. I guess we'll have to wait and see on that.

I thought that description was intriguing too! It'd be an interesting take, for sure—somewhat similar to the Bohrok-Kal arc which had the Toa's own elemental power used against them. The idea that the power that the Toa have attained might be wrested from them bodes well since it keeps the Toa from just amassing power exponentially, and will force them (now that they have the basics of being heroes down) to use strategy and teamwork against the new foes instead of the conflict being a simple test of who's stronger.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I'm planning on getting the Toa in pairs: Tahu&Pohatu, Onua&Lewa, and finally Kopaka&Gali. Might get some protectors, but I'd rather make sure I have all six Toa before I get side sets.

• Upvote 1

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I'm planning on getting the Toa in pairs: Tahu&Pohatu, Onua&Lewa, and finally Kopaka&Gali. Might get some protectors, but I'd rather make sure I have all six Toa before I get side sets.

What about LoSS?

What about it? I do have a budget, you know, and there's nothing I specifically want about LoSS.

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Found on Amazon:

Bionicle chapter book #1

Interesting that they say "Legos Bionicle is back with a new never before seen story". Or something along those lines. Seems kinda weird.

• Upvote 1

Self MOC: Fren

How lewd

What if someone sneakily stole Skull Scorpio's mask from NYTF?

That's one of the most likely explanations for why it was missing (along with "got lost during shipping or set-up").

What about LoSS?

What about it? I do have a budget, you know, and there's nothing I specifically want about LoSS.

I'd seriously recommend considering him. He's on-par with several of the '01 Rahi, provides a worthy foe for the Toa, and is a fantastic source of Technic parts (including some newer parts that haven't shown up in much else).

Found on Amazon:

Bionicle chapter book #1

Interesting that they say "Legos Bionicle is back with a new never before seen story". Or something along those lines. Seems kinda weird.

Well, apart from being generic promotional fluff, that's most likely there to help emphasize that these books are not connected to the previous Bionicle chapter books, which is an important distinction for sites like Amazon that continue to sell the old books.

"All-new, never-before-seen" probably refers to the overall story, by the way—it's not saying that the story material we've already seen for the year is being thrown out or anything like that.

Found on Amazon:

Bionicle chapter book #1

Wait it's being written by who?! Ok now I have more confidence in these things then ever. 

• Upvote 1

It's time to move on.

What about LoSS?

I'd seriously recommend considering him. He's on-par with several of the '01 Rahi, provides a worthy foe for the Toa, and is a fantastic source of Technic parts (including some newer parts that haven't shown up in much else).

The Toa are my priority. Perhaps I'll get LoSS before I get MM&SG. If I have cash after getting the Toa, I'll consider it.

On a different note-- does anybody feel like insufficient hype was generated for Bionicle in 2015?  Between the capacity for engagement with a really cool, unique story and the existing fanbase or at least general knowledge of its existence, there could've been a ton of hyping-up by the Lego group in anticipation of the release, with considerable teasers and viral marketing, and though there certainly was a bit of that, I can't help but feel that it may have been possible to generate even more excitement pre-January 2015 and end up driving sales even further.  Pair that with significant story material to release piece-by-piece until the summer wave, and Lego rides the hype train into 2016... instead we're getting a series of super brief animations and, it appears, not much else.  

There was actually a lot of hype and anticipation built up towards the end of last year with the Mask of Creation teasers and the well-attended and covered Comic Con reveal.

By this time, though, I do feel that something's a bit off. The sets are now sitting there on the shelves and that just seems to be it. Nothing about the new story is very engaging, because the only media so far has been the animations, and too many were released too quickly. 

• Upvote 3

Probably. It's pretty easy to snatch things that in the open, even if people see, what are the odds they're gonna do anything? Besides post about it on Twitter or something.

Someone on this topic actually thought it was me who stole Skull Scorpio's mask, just because I linked that one picture that everyone's seen lol.

Edited by The Bone-Snatcher

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Probably. It's pretty easy to snatch things that in the open, even if people see, what are the odds they're gonna do anything? Besides post about it on Twitter or something.

Someone on this topic actually thought it was me who stole Skull Scorpio's mask, just because I linked that one picture that everyone's seen lol.

Well.... You are called The Bone-Snatcher.

• Upvote 5

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

Found on Amazon:

Bionicle chapter book #1

I'm pretty stoked for that chapter book, it'll be exciting to see what Windham (great last name by the way :lol:) will bring to Bionicle's story. I wonder how long it'll be though. I can't imagine it being too big since it's still for kids.

EDIT: 128 pages it is!

TAK

Edited by Toa TAK

[MNOLG The Movie Website]

rsz_1onua1024.png
Need to start a poll? Or start a topic in Games & Trivia? PM me!

Do you think books will be about summer villains?

I hope so...there's not much to write about from this winter wave.

It would be interesting to read about the tales of the other Toa getting their masks. So far we've only seen Tahu get his, and even then it was a fast montage to get it

Even just lore about Okoto would be fantastic :P

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

I think it wouldn't be unreasonable for the first chapter book to be about the winter wave story and a second book detailing the summer wave story being released by the end of the year.

Of course, there's no telling whether the books would even COVER the main story (the Ninjago, Chima and Hero Factory books were all primarily side-stories). It's entirely possible that the books would cover things like the aforementioned mask quests rather than the story material already covered by the animations.

Hey I just had a thought, what if maybe we will get animations outside of the 9 planned, and what if those animations are going to be the same story but told from another toas perspective?

I'm sure we'll get more than just these nine, but I don't think they'll be that. More likely, any additional animations will be to tell the story for the second half of the year and promote the summer sets.

Jungle all the way.

The classic Arbor Day comedy starring Arnold Schwarzenegger? :P
  • Upvote 1

I feel like the books have a few options as to what they'd cover.  They could easily be another quest for the masks story, they could be entirely about the summer wave, or they could be a combination of both.  We don't really know how the summer sets relate to the Skull Spiders yet, other than, well, skulls.

Jungle all the way.

The classic Arbor Day comedy starring Arnold Schwarzenegger? :P

get to da choppa

32559.jpg

• Upvote 3

OpAXNpl.jpg

Honestly, I don't really care if the books cover the main story or simply tell side stories. As long as it gives us some new character development for one or more of the characters in it and has a good story, I'll be happy. :)

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

There was actually a lot of hype and anticipation built up towards the end of last year with the Mask of Creation teasers and the well-attended and covered Comic Con reveal.

By this time, though, I do feel that something's a bit off. The sets are now sitting there on the shelves and that just seems to be it. Nothing about the new story is very engaging, because the only media so far has been the animations, and too many were released too quickly. 

THIS.

I love Gali and her brothers but with school and stuff I just don't have time to be interested in them anymore. A big part of this is because there is no mystery or any new information anymore. I miss the old site where there would be stories and chapters about what the characters were doing. Each Toa had their own page and quote and you could press a button to see their functions. Now? We get  pics, a game everyone else already has on their phone, and that's it. Sure, we get to 'explore' Okoto, but I've done that like six times and found nothing else interesting as I did the first three times.

In fact, I don't plan on picking up any of the summer sets besides Ekimu and Makuta for this very reason.

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

Blueblur, it's not Makuta. I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but Makuta ain't getting a release this year.

Back to business, last night I picked up Lewa and the PoJ from Toys R Us for $27 (including tax.) Lewa's a little difficult to pose, and I wish they either made him entirely green & silver or green and keetorange. I prefer two-tone color schemes, but that's just me. I do like how lanky and simian Lewa looks, but even then, the colors are all over the place.

The PoJ is probably my favorite protector this year (in terms of appearance, but I only own the PoJ and the PoS) but something strikes me as odd with the lack of solid green. I was hoping for trans-green limbs and Okoto-green armor, but we get keetorange limbs and trans-green + keetorange armor AND silver extremities and detailing. I kinda wish his lighting things were solid green into trans-green, but I kinda like the trans-blue ---> trans-green. Finally, my final nitpick is that those vines on his feet are lime green.

LIME. GREEN.

Still, he's a very playable set. Can't wait to finally be able to put Rocka's green to use!

• Upvote 2

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

Wait, so are these the two books slated for this year? Or are we supposed to get another chapter book?

-NotS

These are just the first two to be announced. We probably won't get any other books BEFORE August 25 when these books release, but it's entirely possible that further books will be released AFTER that date (and of course, like these ones, they'll probably be announced several months in advance).

• Upvote 1

I think it's a safe bet that the activity book will come with some kind of translucent Gali mask to complete the set. (kinda)

It's definitely not a safe bet. Those kinds of activity books literally never have exclusive minifigures, so I don't see why Bionicle would be any different. It'll most likely have a mask that's already available like one of the Toa or Protector's masks.

• Upvote 1

I think it's a safe bet that the activity book will come with some kind of translucent Gali mask to complete the set. (kinda)

It's definitely not a safe bet. Those kinds of activity books literally never have exclusive minifigures, so I don't see why Bionicle would be any different. It'll most likely have a mask that's already available like one of the Toa or Protector's masks.

I don't think it's too early to discard that train of thought yet :P for all we know, the mask could be exclusive, like the figures that come in the encyclopedias that Lego releases (i.e. the upcoming Star Wars one has Proto Fett), and the scholastic pack way back in the day, while not an activity book, did have the exclusive poisoned Hau Nuva. On the same note, they could just package it with a Tahu mask just to promote the theme, so for right now it's all up in the air

I mean, all we have so far about it is "Activity Book #1", so until it is actually revealed I'd say it's possible that it might have the trans. Gali mask

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

The mixels books have little nixels in them, and the Lego Movie activity book came with a Business drone. So I believe it's well within possibility they pack a two-tone gali mask in the activity book and the two-tone Tahu in the storybook.

The mixels books have little nixels in them, and the Lego Movie activity book came with a Business drone. So I believe it's well within possibility they pack a two-tone gali mask in the activity book and the two-tone Tahu in the storybook.

Those Nixels were nothing special or exclusive at all and neither was the minifigure in the Lego Movie book. They include stuff with activity books all the time, but it's never an exclusive. A recolored mask would be an exclusive, so it's not really realistic to expect that at all. And chapter books straight out never come with extra stuff, let alone exclusive extra stuff, so that's honestly just wishful thinking. :/

I mean, I want to get more cool masks as much as the next guy, but there's gotta be a point where we have to admit it's not realistic to expect them in that book.

• Upvote 1

AXKP5KC.png

Those Nixels were nothing special or exclusive at all and neither was the minifigure in the Lego Movie book. They include stuff with activity books all the time, but it's never an exclusive. A recolored mask would be an exclusive, so it's not really realistic to expect that at all. And chapter books straight out never come with extra stuff, let alone exclusive extra stuff, so that's honestly just wishful thinking. :/

I mean, I want to get more cool masks as much as the next guy, but there's gotta be a point where we have to admit it's not realistic to expect them in that book.

I sorta agree. It's just an activity book, so there's not really much of reason for Lego to spend the extra bucks for an exclusive recolor. But on the other hand, they might want collectors to buy said activity book as well, in order to obtain the theoretical exclusive mask.

Edited by The Bone-Snatcher

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Activity books are not aimed at collectors at all though. They're...activity books, guys. That should make it pretty obvious who the target audience is--it's not us! It's not collectors! It's just kids. Kids who use activity books. They're not going to spend any extra money doing fancy stuff to entice collectors, who they aren't even thinking about with this kind of book. It's just not realistic.

Books like Character Encyclopedias and those kinds of books that DK Publishing makes are the kind of books that are geared for collectors, which is why they do sometimes come with unique minifigures and stuff--and with more substantial content. If Bionicle ever gets one of these (and here's to hoping, because some of those books are pretty nice) then certainly we can theorize that that would come with a rad recolored mask.

But, alas, that's not the situation we're in. It's just an activity book we're talking about, and so the chances of it happening are just not very high at all. It would probably be best to not expect anything from that.

• Upvote 3

AXKP5KC.png

The ninjago character encyclopedia came with an exclusive Lloyd minifig.

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

Al

I didn't follow those other themes. Guess it's more likely no than yes in this case...