OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Thanks for the info and warm welcome. I've read the new BIONICLE has been planned to run three years. Is this at least three years, or only three years?

It depends. If Lego finds Bionicle successful, they're continue for more than three years.
Do we have any information on how they have been selling? At my local target, there were a few Toa on clearance.

Thanks for the info and warm welcome. I've read the new BIONICLE has been planned to run three years. Is this at least three years, or only three years?

It depends. If Lego finds Bionicle successful, they're continue for more than three years.
Do we have any information on how they have been selling? At my local target, there were a few Toa on clearance.

Nope. I don't think Lego releases their sales figures on a single line. Though, I hope they're selling well if not at a profitable pace. 

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I hear lego don't tend to reveal sales figures until June, we got a while to wait until we know if bionicle has reclaimed it's old status. 

It's time to move on.

Nope. I don't think Lego releases their sales figures on a single line. Though, I hope they're selling well if not at a profitable pace. 

We usually have to rely on comments from employees or information in annual reports.

• Upvote 2

So... is Bionicle not doing so hot? 

It would make sense, since Lego won't go all out with advertising and giving it the respect and treatment it deserves. They're more concerned about their precious system sets since the Lego Movie brought popularity to them. I'm disappointed in them and I wish whoever was in charge during Bionicle's early reign would take the wheel and bring out amazing ads and better quality webisodes that last longer and tell a better, more complete story with world building, and then air them on TV to gain even more ground.

It would make sense, since Lego won't go all out with advertising and giving it the respect and treatment it deserves. They're more concerned about their precious system sets since the Lego Movie brought popularity to them. I'm disappointed in them and I wish whoever was in charge during Bionicle's early reign would take the wheel and bring out amazing ads and better quality webisodes that last longer and tell a better, more complete story with world building, and then air them on TV to gain even more ground.

We have very little reason to think BIONICLE is struggling in any way. The only real indication to that effect has been the Target clearances in some places, which seems to me more like they were just trying to make space for the many March releases while the January releases hadn't been out for long enough to clear out normally.

And the LEGO Movie has nothing to do with how much attention LEGO devotes to System themes. The majority of their themes, and the ones that most buyers think of when they think of "LEGO", are System themes. The fact that LEGO was depending so heavily on BIONICLE in 2003–2004 is an indication of just how much had gone wrong with their core product lines at the time, not an indication that BIONICLE matters more to them from a business standpoint. Today, they are no longer a company on the brink of collapse and thus they no longer need to depend on BIONICLE just to avoid declaring bankruptcy — that doesn't mean it is no longer a successful theme, but that it is now just one of many.

All things considered, LEGO has devoted quite a bit of attention and marketing efforts towards BIONICLE. They made it the single focus of their New York Comic Con presence, something I don't know that they've ever done with ANY theme in the past. They made it the cover of their Spring catalog, and dedicated a large, detailed insert to it in their LEGO Club Magazine for January. They even held an unprecedented multi-site building contest to promote the theme just to give away one of eight solid gold masks they commissioned in order to promote the theme.

Sure, it doesn't have its own TV show (at least, not yet). But neither does LEGO City, which is regularly one of the LEGO Group's top-selling themes. So it makes no sense to read some lack of faith or commitment into the decision not to have movies or a TV series right out of the gate. All that indicates is a difference in strategy from themes like Ninjago and Elves. The BIONICLE theme has always owed a great deal of its success to the Internet, so with more kids using the Internet than ever, a web-focused marketing strategy seems like a no-brainer. There's no reason to think that the people who were in charge of the BIONICLE theme in its early days would have done any differently in this situation.

• Upvote 10

I... I don't know. I was really hoping for a Bionicle TV show... I mean, I suppose the webisodes are OK, but come on! Hero Factory got a new TV special EVERY. SINGLE. WAVE. I don't understand why Bionicle couldn't get a TV show.

...Because the rest of the funds went toward set design, production, and advertising, all of which people are still (for some odd reason) complaining aren't enough.

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

Is it bad that I don't plan on buying every single set? I mean, for my birthday (which is August 21,) I know the Ekimu set is going to be out along with the other villains. 

The problem is, I want an Xbox One like you wouldn't believe and we all know those things aren't cheap. 

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

They're more concerned about their precious system sets since the Lego Movie brought popularity to them.

I wasn't aware that there was such a thing as a System hater.

Got some bad news for you, mate. NINJAGO was far more profitable in its first year than BIONICLE was in its own first year, and this was back in 2011. System has not been unpopular since '03, and that's almost certainly not going to change for many a year.

LEGO has a reason to be cautious with story-based reboots. It takes a lot of effort to develop a line, and if kids hate the story or hate the sets the entire thing crumbles to dust. If BIONICLE proves itself to be a best-selling line once more (and I've done my part in ensuring this, and will continue to do so), LEGO will devote more resources towards it. We've got 30 new pieces, a bazillion new recolors, a fairly nice little game, and a series of approximately 26 mini-shorts (including character videos) planned with the potential for far more by the end of the year. Count your lucky stars, this could have been Invasion From Above.

• Upvote 3

Is it bad that I don't plan on buying every single set?

Not at all, as it is I highly doubt TLGs business plan has the average buyer as buying all of them (¡Or even most of them..?)

The problem is, I want an Xbox One like you wouldn't believe and we all know those things aren't cheap. 

Aye the current gen consoles aren't exactly cheap, & I don't think a vast majority of people direct all their luxury-funds into a single hobby, but I'm surprised you find an Xbox One really worth it, obnoxiously pricey, not a huge variety of games (all of which one will be able to play on PC to a degree)... if one can afford that I'm surprised one doesn't wait longer to buy a great PC (doubles for work capabilities etc. although that may not be relevant...) that should last just as long and be able to play games from the game-generation after this one... but if you're set on an Xbox One; it's your money & it's what you want, then yeah, I really don't see it as anything bad that you don't want to pour money into an expensive toyline.

Bionicle seems to be doing well in Brisbane, a quite a few stores have already sold out of a number of sets, & the Bionicle-only discounts I've seen have been at Target, & it was only a dollar off so hardly anything to worry about (especially considering shelf space).

As it is I'm contemplating getting another 4 Skull Spiders (one of each colour, plus a spare to paint red), & actually buying another LoSS (plenty of pieces) & then getting four extra SS legs so I can have a golden Skull Spider with legs 'cause I thought it looked cool >,> or I might  just paint it red, but then I'd need to get buy 4 extra SS legs anyway -_-"

and then I need to buy a Trans Orange Mask of Fire as well as I can't get the Hero Pack :(

I haven't decided whether I'll get those 3 or 4 Skull Spiders from actual sets or just buy them off someone... Thinking I might just buy another PoJ, PoW, & PoF, but if I go that route I might as well just buy PoS, PoE, & PoI for the sake of balance, but this is going to get really, really, expensive!

Although as Skull Slicer comes with a Silver Met. Mask... eugh IDK. A part of me just wants to have doubles of every set, another Blue SS, a Red SS, and then I'd want a Green & Silver SSs for balance, but $$$$!

I kinda want more orange shells (either the keet orange [found in Lewa & PoJ], or trans red/orange [found in Tahu & PoF]) except larger, because I want them for my Toa of Plasma, but I'm stuck with using G2 Masks and the Golden Mask of Stone seems to look best but that's not saying much...

I wasn't aware that there was such a thing as a System hater.

System-hater? Nor was I, at the moment I only own 13 sets all of which are G2 Bionicle, but I still love system!

I'm aware of people that like~~~~love LEGO System & Technic that had disdain for Bionicle (& Hero Factory?) and/or were disdainful of it/them, but I hadn't realised it had gone the other way in any note-worthy numbers...

Ah well;

I hear lego don't tend to reveal sales figures until June, we got a while to wait until we know if bionicle has reclaimed it's old status. 

We usually have to rely on comments from employees or information in annual reports.

Welp, I'm going to be waiting around for Wave 2, & I'll try not to spend more than I should on LEGO products. (I still haven't decided what to buy outside of Bionicle, I was thinking: Creative Supplement 10693, or Creative Building Box 10695, or Medium Creative Brick Box 10696; but I think I want something a bit more Technic compatible... & I don't really care for windows pieces etc. EH it's hard...) EDIT: Oh yeah & I really don't know whether or not to invest in a LEGO Architecture set, they look gorgeous but...

I hope Bionicle is doing well compared to their other themes (at least compared to Chima & Ninjago!)

Edited by Iblis

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

When it comes to Wave 2, I've gotten over the hideous look of the sets and am able to appreciate them a lot more for what they are trying to convey. It's just a  shame that four of the sets are $15 ($20 for Aussies like me) and the only other one is twice that. There was a lot of missed potential here, sadly.

edit: Forgot to mention this. For those of you complaining about TV specials, all nine revealed episodes add up to a grand total of approximately 15 minutes and 40 seconds, by the end of the year we should have around 30 minutes. Less than NINJAGO, but more than HF got in its final years.

Edited by Torchbearer
  • Upvote 2

All things considered, LEGO has devoted quite a bit of attention and marketing efforts towards BIONICLE. They made it the single focus of their New York Comic Con presence, something I don't know that they've ever done with ANY theme in the past. They made it the cover of their Spring catalog, and dedicated a large, detailed insert to it in their LEGO Club Magazine for January. They even held an unprecedented multi-site building contest to promote the theme just to give away one of eight solid gold masks they commissioned in order to promote the theme.

True, but things seem to have gone very quiet since the start of last month.

Sure, it doesn't have its own TV show (at least, not yet). But neither does LEGO City, which is regularly one of the LEGO Group's top-selling themes. So it makes no sense to read some lack of faith or commitment into the decision not to have movies or a TV series right out of the gate.

You're not accounting for the fact that City has no story to make a show around. Bionicle obviously does, and also has proven sales potential from most of its last run, so the lack of a TV show is definitely unusual.

• Upvote 2

Guys! English! Now! Watch! Go!!! Episode 6!!

http://www.lego.com/en-gb/bionicle/videos/6-quest-for-the-mask-maker-4086798ab407449782cd3e7dd032d31b

Edited by The Bone-Snatcher

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Yes! :D

The episode is great!

Except one thing: The narrator calls Pohatu's element earth and Onua's element stone. :P

Let the confusions begin... :P  :P  :P

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

We have very little reason to think BIONICLE is struggling in any way. The only real indication to that effect has been the Target clearances in some places, which seems to me more like they were just trying to make space for the many March releases while the January releases hadn't been out for long enough to clear out normally.

And the LEGO Movie has nothing to do with how much attention LEGO devotes to System themes. The majority of their themes, and the ones that most buyers think of when they think of "LEGO", are System themes. The fact that LEGO was depending so heavily on BIONICLE in 2003–2004 is an indication of just how much had gone wrong with their core product lines at the time, not an indication that BIONICLE matters more to them from a business standpoint. Today, they are no longer a company on the brink of collapse and thus they no longer need to depend on BIONICLE just to avoid declaring bankruptcy — that doesn't mean it is no longer a successful theme, but that it is now just one of many.

All things considered, LEGO has devoted quite a bit of attention and marketing efforts towards BIONICLE. They made it the single focus of their New York Comic Con presence, something I don't know that they've ever done with ANY theme in the past. They made it the cover of their Spring catalog, and dedicated a large, detailed insert to it in their LEGO Club Magazine for January. They even held an unprecedented multi-site building contest to promote the theme just to give away one of eight solid gold masks they commissioned in order to promote the theme.

Sure, it doesn't have its own TV show (at least, not yet). But neither does LEGO City, which is regularly one of the LEGO Group's top-selling themes. So it makes no sense to read some lack of faith or commitment into the decision not to have movies or a TV series right out of the gate. All that indicates is a difference in strategy from themes like Ninjago and Elves. The BIONICLE theme has always owed a great deal of its success to the Internet, so with more kids using the Internet than ever, a web-focused marketing strategy seems like a no-brainer. There's no reason to think that the people who were in charge of the BIONICLE theme in its early days would have done any differently in this situation.

Just a little correction, as of last December a lego city TV show does exist (although only in the UK). 

• Upvote 1

It's time to move on.

I gotta say the quotes from these things (the webisodes) keep getting funnier and funnier, "I CAN FEEL THE POWER!!", "EVIL IS GROWING!!", seriously guys we gotta make these into a meme, it could be the next "OVER 9000!!". 

PoF: Tahu, you need to go do the thing. Tahu, go do the thing. TAHU, go do the thing! TAHU, GO DO THE THING!! TAHU, EVIL IS GROWING BY THE SECOND, GO DO THE THING!!!

Tahu: ...

PoF: TAHU, GO DO THE THING!!!

• Upvote 2

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

I gotta say the quotes from these things (the webisodes) keep getting funnier and funnier, "I CAN FEEL THE POWER!!", "EVIL IS GROWING!!", seriously guys we gotta make these into a meme, it could be the next "OVER 9000!!". 

PoF: Tahu, you need to go do the thing. Tahu, go do the thing. TAHU, go do the thing! TAHU, GO DO THE THING!! TAHU, EVIL IS GROWING BY THE SECOND, GO DO THE THING!!!

Tahu: ...

PoF: TAHU, GO DO THE THING!!!

Is that an actual meme? On another note "Tahu it's dangerous to go alone! Take this!" *hands golden mask". We should probably stop now. 

It's time to move on.

Wow, good episode.

Although, one thing that got me was that when they showed all of the Toa on their way to the ancient city, and they were all going as fast as humanly possible,

Tahu be like:

:|   Um, what?

Also, 500th POST FTW!!!!!11

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

That's cool I finally got to see Episode 6. Where are all these mistakes? The Protector of Fire never mentioned Tahu's mother nor is there anything regarding Onua and Pohatu being Toa of the other's element? Is it in the Youtube version or something? Because I watched the one displayed on Lego.com.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Yes! :D

The episode is great!

Except one thing: The narrator calls Pohatu's element earth and Onua's element stone. :P

Let the confusions begin... :P  :P  :P

For crying out loud LEGO!! Seriously, is it that hard to get your OWN story strait?? Sigh. I get so sick of Earth and Stone getting confused. It isn't so bad when it's miss-typed but to mess it up in a promotional video is something else, sheesh. 

Anyway, is it just me or does the character dialog keep getting worse. Tahu sounds like a brain-dead idiot although his voice is acceptable while PoF's lines are OK while his voice is terrible.

Edited by ToaDraco

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

I'd say my favorite is the one near the end of the video.

"MRWAH!" 

• Upvote 1

bZpOwEr

Is it just me, or does Tahu's role as a hero kind of seem like Chris Pratt's character Andy from 'Parks and Recreation'? I mean, his actions seem to be all by accident, and his expressions portray a child-like sense of wonder in the world around him

• Upvote 2

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

That's cool I finally got to see Episode 6. Where are all these mistakes? The Protector of Fire never mentioned Tahu's mother nor is there anything regarding Onua and Pohatu being Toa of the other's element? Is it in the Youtube version or something? Because I watched the one displayed on Lego.com.

If you mean the picture Toa Chuck posted, the mistaken dialogue is inaccurate YouTube subtitles which you obviously don't see if you don't watch it on YouTube.

• Upvote 1

Not at all, as it is I highly doubt TLGs business plan has the average buyer as buying all of them (¡Or even most of them..?)

Aye the current gen consoles aren't exactly cheap, & I don't think a vast majority of people direct all their luxury-funds into a single hobby, but I'm surprised you find an Xbox One really worth it, obnoxiously pricey, not a huge variety of games (all of which one will be able to play on PC to a degree)... if one can afford that I'm surprised one doesn't wait longer to buy a great PC (doubles for work capabilities etc. although that may not be relevant...) that should last just as long and be able to play games from the game-generation after this one... but if you're set on an Xbox One; it's your money & it's what you want, then yeah, I really don't see it as anything bad that you don't want to pour money into an expensive toyline.

I want an Xbox One because it's what I like. If I wanted a PC, I'd ask for a PC and talk about how I wanted one. This was never about the PC. If it was, I'd mention it. The Xbox One has just started out and will get more games as it grows. 

Obviously, you've never played Dying Light or Sunset Overdrive. If that isn't variety I don't know what is. 

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

Yeah, Bionicle did get quite a bit of focus pre-release, and now it looks like this month is all about promoting the line, which is great! I hope the catalog goes online sooner or later cause I want to see the cover. xD And yeah, they have the Hero Pack promotion and the stud launcher competition going on at LEGO Stores so that's sure to spread word of its relaunch around further. And according to some other members, they set up displays just this month, which is probably why I didn't see any cases with Bionicle sets or cardboard cutouts when I went to the LEGO store back in Feb. So that's cool! I'd like to see pics of those. I think LEGO's doing a good job promoting the line.

Now, storywise it's going rather slow. Glad we got the new episode today though, really fun watching it in English. BUT I CAN'T BELIEVE AFTER ALL THIS TIME THEY STILL MISLABEL STONE AND EARTH.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Just watched the two episodes I hadn't seen, and the earth/stone mixup doesn't bother me all that much relatively speaking.  This time it was just a matter of the audio order not matching the video order in a list.  Not nearly as bad as in the Voya Nui Online Game, where every earth/stone instance had their names swapped.

• Upvote 4

OpAXNpl.jpg

When it comes to Wave 2, I've gotten over the hideous look of the sets and am able to appreciate them a lot more for what they are trying to convey. It's just a  shame that four of the sets are $15 ($20 for Aussies like me) and the only other one is twice that. There was a lot of missed potential here, sadly.

edit: Forgot to mention this. For those of you complaining about TV specials, all nine revealed episodes add up to a grand total of approximately 15 minutes and 40 seconds, by the end of the year we should have around 30 minutes. Less than NINJAGO, but more than HF got in its final years.

Are those the American prices?

And this latest episode is even more proof that Onua is an identity thief. :P

Anyways, I really liked this episode. Even though it felt like a set-up episode to me. The Protector of Fire calling Tahu a fool was my favorite part of it. :P

Also, I'm surprised no one in this topic has mentioned Kopaka yelling 'WHEE!' as he slides down the mountain at the end of the video. I wouldn't even imagine Gen 2 Kopaka saying that, but I've been wrong about these things before. :P

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

If you mean the picture Toa Chuck posted, the mistaken dialogue is inaccurate YouTube subtitles which you obviously don't see if you don't watch it on YouTube.

Ah yes. Sadly then I missed out on the joke. I really hate when that happens.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I want an Xbox One because it's what I like. If I wanted a PC, I'd ask for a PC and talk about how I wanted one. This was never about the PC. If it was, I'd mention it. The Xbox One has just started out and will get more games as it grows. 

Obviously, you've never played Dying Light or Sunset Overdrive. If that isn't variety I don't know what is. 

Really? Dying Light? Everyone I know who have played that game (six people, give or take) have all hated it. They said it was buggy, boring, had really cheap deaths because the levels aren't designed around the parkour. It's essentially the lovechild of Dead Island and Mirror's Edge, but something went wrong, the baby was stillborn, but they're still trying to raise it. AND it's also on PC. It definitely plays better on the Xbone, but I am a member of the PC master race, and (puts on Nazi helmet) MOOST SHOW YOU ZEE BESS GAMES ARE UNT ZEE PEE CEE. (takes off Nazi helmet) 

Ahem.

Heil Steam.

Back on topic, has anyone noticed how... what's the word... simian Lewa looks now?

• Upvote 3

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png