OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

You know what really bugs me about the CCBS: Not one set since Raanu, Tarduk, and Berix has been without black and silver, and no set since the Stars has lacked Black.  It lacks the clean color scheme of those sets.  I wish Lego would change that, and the return of Bionicle would be a good way to go about it.

(And before anyone brings them up, yes, I've seen the leaked images)

Berix DID have a silver hose. And frankly, the lack of black in the Tahu set from the BIONICLE Stars was one of its greatest weaknesses compared to the original, at least as far as color scheme was concerned. The classic BIONICLE sets like the Toa Mata, Toa Nuva, and Bohrok always had neutral colors like black and grey to offset their brighter colors, so I don't see any reason to think that using black or grey as a base color for the new sets would be a real flaw.
  • Upvote 1

You know what really bugs me about the CCBS: Not one set since Raanu, Tarduk, and Berix has been without black and silver, and no set since the Stars has lacked Black.  It lacks the clean color scheme of those sets.  I wish Lego would change that, and the return of Bionicle would be a good way to go about it.

(And before anyone brings them up, yes, I've seen the leaked images)

I'm hoping that maybe the return of Bionicle will eventually bring about newly colored limb parts... perhaps in 2016? They would be useful for building less armored-up characters.

The currently available colors, according to Bricklink, are as follows. (And no these names aren't official, they're just most descriptive I could think of.)

TORSOS

Extra Small Torso: Black

Small Torso (Secondary Standard, less wide than Medium): Black

Medium Torso (Standard): Black, Dark Bluish Gray, Red

Large Torso (XL Standard): Black, Orange

UPPER LIMBS

Upper Arm/Leg w Ball Joint & Socket (5 studs long): Black, Dark Bluish Gray, Light Bluish Grey, Lime, Red

Upper Arm/Leg w Joint & Socket & Pin Hole (6 studs): Black, Dark Bluish Gray, Dark Red, Red

Upper Arm/Leg w Joint & Socket & 2 Pin Holes (7 studs): Light Bluish Grey

Upper Arm/Leg w Joint & Socket & 4 Pin Holes (9 studs): Black, Dark Red, Orange

LOWER LIMBS

Lower Arm/Leg w Joint & Socket (3 studs): Black, Red, Reddish Brown, Trans-Light Blue, Trans-Neon Orange

Lower Arm/Leg w Joint on Axle & Socket (4 studs): Black, Dark Bluish Gray. Lime, Yellow, Trans-Light Blue

Lower Arm/Leg w Joint on Axle & Socket (5 studs): Black, Dark Bluish Gray, Medium Azure, Olive Green, Trans-Light Blue, Trans-Neon Orange

Lower Arm/Leg w Joint on Axle & Socket & Pin Hole (6 studs): Black, Dark Bluish Gray, Light Bluish Gray, Red, White

Lower Arm/Leg w Joint on Axle & Socket & 2 Pin Holes (7 studs): Black, Bright Light Orange, Trans-Light Blue

Lower Arm/Leg w Joint on Axle & Socket & 4 Pin Holes (9 studs): Black, Red

SOCKETS ON BOTH ENDS

Short Limb w 2 Sockets (3 studs): Dark Bluish Gray

Limb w 2 Sockets (5 studs): Black, Red

MISCELLANEOUS

Limb Extender w Ball Joint & Socket (2 studs): Dark Bluish Gray

CCBS Classic Bionicle "Hand" (think Toa Nuva) (3 studs): Black, Dark Bluish Gray, Medium Azure, Red, Reddish Brown, Trans-Neon Orange

HF Hand: Black, Blue, Lime, Olive Green, Orange, Red, White, Yellow, Trans-Light Blue, Trans-Neon Orange, Flat Silver

HF Foot: Black, Blue, Bright Green, Lime, Orange, Red, White, Yellow, Flat Silver, Pearl Dark Gray, Pearl Gold

Currently, most limb parts come only in black, gray, and a few random colors like olive green or Azure. With all that red & orange, though, it's not too hard to make a Tahu. :hau:  :smiletahunu:  :P

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Maybe they'll finally answer the age-old all-important question: reboot or continuation?  I hope.

This post is grammatically weird.

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

Actually, I have a theory why we haven't received news about the matoran.

I call it:

The return if the Mctoran.

Think about it.

Original bionicle had no matoran originally (I think), just Turaga and Toa.

Here, we have Toa and "defenders". No Matoran in sight.

So, where do the Matoran come in? McDonalds.

They worked well Tue first time, why not a second time for the Mctoran? And since the plots are basically the same (firstly finding masks and fighting Rahi, then Bohrok, then finally finding legendary mask), it would technically work. I think.

Man, that looked so much better in my head. :|

The issue with that theory is that McDonalds has not included actual Lego building toys in Happy Meals for many years, because when they do they get complaints from parents when the kids have trouble putting them together. It sucks, but McDonalds prefers to include toys which are complete from the moment they're opened, and I can't imagine any reason that might have changed.

Are you serious? How can there have been kids who couldn't put the Mctoran together? The picture is right on the package, and all of the pieces were highly specialized as arms, legs, bodies and heads.

Agreed, it would literally take a brainless person to fail at building a McToran.

• Upvote 1

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

Or a toddler.  Or someone with a learning disability.

Don't call people stupid just because they can't function as well as "normal" people, guys.

• Upvote 4

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Nooooo It musn't be a reboot! There were so many plot holes! I need to know the answers!

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

*Shrugs* I actually prefer it to be a reboot. It'll give the new story team more room for freedom and creativity. Yes, I do wish that the loose ends of the original story would be tied up, but as long as the old canon isn't wiped from history by this new canon, I'm okay with this development.
  • Upvote 2

A continuation is alright, cause then I can see what finally happened to Kopaka, but I'm also not against a reboot; with the story already developed, the (new?) writers can go back and rework it to make it 'better'.

It's sort of like the MARVEL movies; the comics have been being written for a very long time, but now that the film makers have all of this background, they are starting their own universe (the cinematic universe) that is much more knitted together.  They have included Starks father in a Captain America movie, Cap's super-soldier serum in the Hulk, Stark was in the Hulk, among many other things.

• Upvote 1

"Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero."

-Toa Kopaka Nuva

I'm fine with the reboot, but I'm gonna be a bit angry if they don't allow Greg to finish the serials. I hate when things get incomplete. There are still things I want to know about the old story, just finish it already, even if it's not too good.

Edited by HoloTheWise
  • Upvote 2

I'm fine with the reboot, but I'm gonna be a bit angry if they don't allow Greg to finish the serials. I hate when things get incomplete. There are still things I want to know about the old story, just finish it already, even if it's not too good.

Greg is a grown man with a full-time job. I doubt he's going to pick up stories he left off four years ago when he could be writing things that earn him money.

• Upvote 2

I will be VERY happy with a full reboot, honestly. As news and rumors about the new BIONICLE have emerged, I've seen people ask on multiple sites how they might get caught up witht he past story, and the sad truth is there is no easy way. Unless you enjoyed at least PART of the old BIONICLE story, there is no way to enjoy it as much as fans did when they got to experience it as it happened. The nature of successful merchandise-driven stories is that the merchandise helps build interest in the story and vice-versa. There's something very engaging about a story that ties in directly to the toys you can find on store shelves. Once you can no longer FIND those toys on store shelves, some of that magic is lost, and brand-new fans will have a harder time caring about who the characters are or understanding their relevance.

A reboot will give me the opportunity to do something I haven't been able to do in YEARS, which is actually introduce new fans to the theme without a whole lot of preconditions and stipulations. I can actually present the theme as something new and fun that they can enjoy with other fans, not a tremendous ordeal they have to undergo just to be able to communicate on the same level with other fans.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 5

If it's a reboot, I would much prefer a soft-reboot. Put some distance between the last time the line ran and now.

TAK

A "soft reboot" would basically be a time skip, correct? Unfortunately, the end of Bionicle ended up tying so many things into it, it's impossible to shake them all.

If you include Tahu, you include the Golden Armor. The Golden Armor gives him an unknown amount of Kraata powers, so now you need to explain Kraata, and by extension, Rahi. Already, by introducing one character, you require the explanation of three different concepts, not to mention Tahu's backstory.

If it's a continuation, then the Mask of Creation belongs to Artahka. If it belongs to Artahka, you're required to explain who Artahka is, which ends up reaching into HIS backstory, which could dredge up anything from the origins of the Toa Mata, to Karzahni.

Sure, you could only use new characters. But at that point, why bother with a time-skip at all?

Edited by Lucina
  • Upvote 1

A reboot is a good idea as well, because a continuation to something so big and convoluted is only going to limit the new writers. By getting rid of these constraints, the writers will have more freedom to tell a story without adhering to what already exists.

However, I've seen A LOT of comments asking LEGO to continue the story rather than reboot it, and LEGO probably foresaw that. So who knows...?

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Greg is a grown man with a full-time job. I doubt he's going to pick up stories he left off four years ago when he could be writing things that earn him money.

Get someone else to finish it, then. 

I think it is unlikely that will happen, for reasons you will probably understand after New York Comic-Con.

Maybe, just maybe he means he can't continue because the plot of the new line will be a direct continuation, therefore, there would be no need for him to continue the serials. He didn't directly confirmed a reboot in his statement.

Edited by HoloTheWise

It pains me to remind you of this, but no one else but Greg CAN finish the serials. Greg makes up his writing as he goes; he can't tell someone else what direction it was headed, because he didn't know, either. Having someone else finish the serials would not work out.

All mysteries of Bionicle were pretty much solved, save for the dumb serial stuff. That should suffice, really.

I think it is unlikely that will happen, for reasons you will probably understand after New York Comic-Con.

Maybe, just maybe he means he can't continue because the plot of the new line will be a direct continuation, which would cancel the need for him to continue the serials. He didn't directly confirmed a reboot in his statement.

He's personally said before what a terrible idea a direct continuation would be. Unless LEGO is doing the stupidest possible thing in this Bionicle revival, a direct continuation is out of the question. Therefore, the most likely alternative for not needing to finish the serials is that the new story is a reboot.

• Upvote 2

I will be VERY happy with a full reboot, honestly. As news and rumors about the new BIONICLE have emerged, I've seen people ask on multiple sites how they might get caught up witht he past story, and the sad truth is there is no easy way. Unless you enjoyed at least PART of the old BIONICLE story, there is no way to enjoy it as much as fans did when they got to experience it as it happened. The nature of successful merchandise-driven stories is that the merchandise helps build interest in the story and vice-versa. There's something very engaging about a story that ties in directly to the toys you can find on store shelves. Once you can no longer FIND those toys on store shelves, some of that magic is lost, and brand-new fans will have a harder time caring about who the characters are or understanding their relevance.

A reboot will give me the opportunity to do something I haven't been able to do in YEARS, which is actually introduce new fans to the theme without a whole lot of preconditions and stipulations. I can actually present the theme as something new and fun that they can enjoy with other fans, not a tremendous ordeal they have to undergo just to be able to communicate on the same level with other fans.

This.  All the way.

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

Maybe, just maybe he means he can't continue because the plot of the new line will be a direct continuation, therefore, there would be no need for him to continue the serials. He didn't directly confirmed a reboot in his statement.

"Hope is faint and thin in times of darkness. Can you trust that?"

If it's a reboot, I would much prefer a soft-reboot. Put some distance between the last time the line ran and now.

TAK

If you include Tahu, you include the Golden Armor. The Golden Armor gives him an unknown amount of Kraata powers, so now you need to explain Kraata, and by extension, Rahi. Already, by introducing one character, you require the explanation of three different concepts, not to mention Tahu's backstory.

If it's a continuation, then the Mask of Creation belongs to Artahka. If it belongs to Artahka, you're required to explain who Artahka is, which ends up reaching into HIS backstory, which could dredge up anything from the origins of the Toa Mata, to Karzahni.

Sure, you could only use new characters. But at that point, why bother with a time-skip at all?

Or they could get rid of the golden armour and as a result remove those other elements from the new story. If people want to know what happened to the Golden Armour, then there can be clarification elsewhere, but in the end that's only going to bug older fans. The new fans won't know about it and won't care.

And why not incorporate Artakha? Sometimes the most creative and excellent stories come from limitations that the writer has to work around. Assuming the main heroes of next year are the Toa Mata, tying in their backstories to Artakha wouldn't hurt the storytelling.

In fact, all the backstories can be amounted to brief histories that say nothing specific about the events that took place. "Tahu is a veteran in many wars". That gives backstory but it doesn't limit the audiences knowledge. 

This solution makes it so the new story is accessible to all fans, regardless of previous knowledge. Going into it without being a fan of Bionicle from 5 years ago is easy, but older fans can probably appreciate it as well, as they can connect it to the previous iteration.

Now, if they were to go so far, why not just reboot it? Well... that's a good point. I guess a benefit of a continuation (soft-reboot) is that eventually, it can pull out a number of past events and characters to become relevant again and that'll please older fans. Again, they don't have to do this in a way that alienates newer fans, it just depends on who's writing it.

Again, a reboot is probably easier than going this route, and it'll give more overall freedom to the story team. However, I think a lot of fans want to see a continuation becomes there is a lot still left to explore, while rebooting the franchise will inevitably be a return to form that may just seem repetitive and unnecessary (cause of course LEGO will try to recapture 2001 again).

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

Lewa never find his way to home again, Pohatu and Kopaka are trapped in the RS forever, no one ever find the GBs, Vezon & Cia have an eternal debate of releasing the GB or not, Marendar kill all Toa, allowing Velika to plant his evil dictatorship and we have a Dark Mirror II, the difference being this one is in the main universe. 

Best way to finish a +10 year old story.

Edited by HoloTheWise
  • Upvote 3

There's not really a lot left to explore, though. All of Bionicle's main mysteries were covered by the end. We found out Mata Nui was a robot, we found out what that robot's purpose was, we reformed the planet, yadda yadda. That pretty much covers everything.

Anything else (the Red Star, Velika, Lewa's kidnapping) was tacked on in serials by Greg to try and keep things interesting after the line had already ended.

I'd edit this to also address HtW's post, but honestly it already kinda does.

Edited by Lucina
  • Upvote 3

I'll agree with you there. The only really unresolved plot points were in the serials. Other than that, 2010 was a pretty good conclusion that tied the loose-ends of the main story. If those serials hadn't existed, then I don't think many people would be too opposed to the idea of a full reboot.

At the same time, doing a timeskip to tell a new story with new antagonists and concepts can have the same effect as a full reboot if done right, so I'm excited to see which route the story team chooses. 

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

I've been coming into Bionicle's new story with the thought that it would be a reboot for a while now, so I'm okay with it. Yes, I could like to see the cliffhangers from Bionicle's original run tied up. But from a business standpoint, I don't see how it would make sence for Lego to do a continuation from a Lego theme that has been inactive for four years. They want to get new fans for Bionicle, and that is a lot harder to do if they have to look information on the original run. A reboot is the only thing that I can see Lego doing with the new Bionicle to get new fans into it. Whether it will be a soft reboot or complete reboot remains to be seen, but I personally think it will be a complete one. That would make it a lot easier to people to get into the story. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

At the same time, doing a timeskip to tell a new story with new antagonists and concepts can have the same effect as a full reboot if done right, so I'm excited to see which route the story team chooses. 

-NotS

I really believe that this can work out well. Journey's End was perfect in finishing up the story. The online serials can be easily be hand-waved somewhere else that doesn't intervene in the main story.

Though as much as I would prefer a soft-reboot, if the new direction is announced to be a complete cleansing of all that came before, I'll support it 100%. I just hope that it manages to stay as intriguing as the last 10ish years it ran.

But to infer that there is no way to keep both the previous line's lore intact while trying to "start fresh" in a sense is silly. It can be done, and people want it to be that way (if you look beyond BZP) if you see the social media sites.

TAK

• Upvote 2

[MNOLG The Movie Website]

rsz_1onua1024.png
Need to start a poll? Or start a topic in Games & Trivia? PM me!

But to infer that there is no way to keep both the previous line's lore intact while trying to "start fresh" in a sense is silly. It can be done, and people want it to be that way (if you look beyond BZP) if you see the social media sites.

Starting fresh with a story as convoluted as Bionicle takes far too much effort to be worth more than just straight up rebooting it. If they use the Toa Mata, Tahu's Golden Armor won't be the only thing begging questions. If they're still five Nuva and one Mata, that will confuse newer fans, but if they're all Mata, that will confuse older fans. Therefore, older fans, who, statistically, are mostly outside the target audience anyway, are more likely to be cut as far as interests go, and therefore, you lose all point of a time-skip/continuation anyway.

There is no reason for a continuation/time skip besides to please older fans, and if that comes at the cost of driving potential new fans away, LEGO will not do it, plain and simple.

• Upvote 8

I'd honestly much rather prefer a soft reboot, with only minimal references to the previous story. In the case of the Mask of Creation, you can just say something like "Once worn by a mighty builder and ruler...". The same goes for most of the returning characters. I'd probably be okay with the story serials being dropped and this new main story being set years after all of it was resolved as long as there isn't a complete disconnect between this Bionicle and the old. It might sour my enjoyment of this new brand if I'm constantly comparing it to the original, and knowing that 14 years of my life wasn't being acknowledged.