OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Easy on the nested quotes, guys...

I loved MNOG, but it's semi-canon, and therefore unreliable. MNOG2 is also good, but bogged down by repetition.

Here's a question. How many of us actually played MNOG in 2001 when it was being released, and how many of us downloaded it years later? I'm in the latter camp.

I'm fairly sure MNOLG is fully canon. I mean, what's there that would make it non-canon?

I did play it in 2001 when it was first available from that three-site portal page, though technically I also downloaded it years later to play it again, after it was removed from Lego's site in or after 2003.

It is only partially canon because Greg didn't write any of it and wanted to do different things with characters and interactions in his stories. The hints at romance, some of the events, challenges, and character traits are explicitly non-canon, unfortunately.

• Upvote 5

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

The hints at romance

Whatever it was between Maku and Huki never plays any part in the game's story. There's a stronger hint of romance between Jaller and Hahli in the first film, but I haven't heard that Mask of Light is non-canon because of that.

some of the events, challenges, and character traits are explicitly non-canon, unfortunately.

Could you provide some examples? I do know that Greg included a reference to the Po-Koro plague in one of the serials.

• Upvote 1

Easy on the nested quotes, guys...

I loved MNOG, but it's semi-canon, and therefore unreliable. MNOG2 is also good, but bogged down by repetition.

Here's a question. How many of us actually played MNOG in 2001 when it was being released, and how many of us downloaded it years later? I'm in the latter camp.

I'm fairly sure MNOLG is fully canon. I mean, what's there that would make it non-canon?

I can't say what was non-canon specifically (besides any and all allusions to romance), but I do know for a fact it's only considered partially canon, as it wasn't approved by Bionicle's story team.

• Upvote 1

I started playing MNOG1 late in 2001, probably around the time the final chapters were released. All I know for sure is that the first time I completed it was a few months before the option to restart your game even existed :P

some of the events, challenges, and character traits are explicitly non-canon, unfortunately.

Could you provide some examples? I do know that Greg included a reference to the Po-Koro plague in one of the serials.

Mainly details like Lewa getting his Golden Mask from the inside of his Suva, the presence of more than two Manas/the implication that the Manas are machines, Matoro appearing to use his Akaku (the reason that eyepieces are now confirmed by canon to be add-ons). Small things like that. If we expand the category to include the Bohrok and Bohrok-Kal episodes, we can also include failing to portray Jaller and Takua as dopey teenagers like MoL did and instead presenting them as bold and dignified warriors. Like, what even?

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

Dopey teenagers can still be dignified warriors. It's all about in-combat/out-combat mindsets. A general can be cool-headed and authoritative in the theater, and aggressive and flustered at home.

My vague theory is that most of us holding MNOG as a brilliant piece of story only played it retrospectively, months or even years after the time and it depicted. We can't claim g2 to be a slowthought, half made mush when we look at g1 as a whole or even the first year retrospectively. What was the state of G1 in March '01?

• Upvote 4

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Just latching on to that last bit, am i remembering or was MNOG 'finished' at the end of '01?

Because whilst retrospection isn't isn't ...entirely reliable; if it finished at the end of '01 ... Well I wonder how many episodes Wave 2 will bring us... but then again; books ;)

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Dopey teenagers can still be dignified warriors. It's all about in-combat/out-combat mindsets. A general can be cool-headed and authoritative in the theater, and aggressive and flustered at home.

I'm not necessarily claiming the two are mutually exclusive; what I'm getting at is that the mannerisms and speech patterns of Templar!Takua&Jaller are at odds with those of MoL!Takua&Jaller. The Templar animations showed us Jaller both in the theater and at home, and he seems to conduct himself similarly in both contexts. Here's one of his lines from the first Kal episode: "The fires of Ta-Koro are near, yet there is a strange chill in the air." Now try to imagine MoL!Jaller talking like that. Possible, but not quite a match for his mannerisms in the film.

My vague theory is that most of us holding MNOG as a brilliant piece of story only played it retrospectively, months or even years after the time and it depicted. We can't claim g2 to be a slowthought, half made mush when we look at g1 as a whole or even the first year retrospectively. What was the state of G1 in March '01?

So does this make me a counterexample, or the exception that proves your rule? Because although I didn't start playing when the first chapter was released (as I wasn't aware of Bionicle's existence until summer 2001 -- in March of 2001, Bionicle had only been released in Europe so far, to answer your last question -- and unaware of MNOG until around late September), it would be a stretch to say I played it retrospectively -- it was still very definitely current story material when I began. And my experience of the Bohrok episodes in 2002-03 was unambiguously current.

bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

MNOG isn't as good as most people claim. Glitches and the tediousness of it can drag you out of the game. Delivering the notes to the other five Turaga at the end of the game is infuriating even with fast travel, and the battle at Kini Nui was pretty bad IMO.

Edited by Torchbearer
  • Upvote 1

Pohatu is my favourite set of this wave due to his colour scheme and proportion, but his mask is a real let down. The main problem is that his eyes are almost non-visible as the brainstalk barely glows with the mask on. I think this might be because there is no gap or vent on the mask aside from the tiny eyeholes themselves to catch light, along with the questionable performance with the brainstalk itself. I'm surprised that LEGO didn't either notice or bother solving this issue. The mask rather doesn't look that great in my opinion, with the tiny, slanted eyeholes, fake vents, and "chubby" shape. The part between the eyeholes is too wide, so the eyes get cut off by quite a bit, but at least it isn't as bad as Radiak's mask.

Now I'm trying to decide whether he looks better with his own mask or the PoS's mask.

Also, I've noticed that the CCBS shells tend to be rough around the edges, and one of my silver shells has a messed up pattern, giving it a scratched look although it is smooth.

Lewa getting his Golden Mask from the inside of his Suva

The game itself makes a continuity error about this; he's shown having his golden mask at the end of the Le-Koro chapter yet at the Kini-Nui meeting, the mask's its original colour as are the other ones, and they then switch to gold when descending.

the presence of more than two Manas/the implication that the Manas are machines

A comic from around that time and the second clip from the Legend of Mata Nui game showed more than two Manas, so I think that was canon at least then. Was that changed later?

Matoro appearing to use his Akaku (the reason that eyepieces are now confirmed by canon to be add-ons)

Technically he isn't using its power, because that's x-ray vision and he's only shown zooming in (though there's no explanation for how he does that). Matoran definitely aren't shown using mask powers at any other point.

If we expand the category to include the Bohrok and Bohrok-Kal episodes, we can also include failing to portray Jaller and Takua as dopey teenagers like MoL did and instead presenting them as bold and dignified warriors.

There's some truth to that, even though those episodes clearly try to set up for the movie by featuring Takua and Jaller prominently and introducing Hahli.

My vague theory is that most of us holding MNOG as a brilliant piece of story only played it retrospectively, months or even years after the time and it depicted.

I did play it at the time, although its full greatness has only become clear with the lack of anything like it in later years.

What was the state of G1 in March '01?

A bit bare to say the least, but with less internet and the concept completely new it's reasonable it would take longer to get going.

Glitches and the tediousness of it can drag you out of the game.

What glitches are there? The second game is a far worse offender in that respect (one glitch actually made it impossible for me to continue the game). And the Kewa ride makes it far less tedious than the second, which has nothing like that and makes you walk absolutely everywhere.

Delivering the notes to the other five Turaga at the end of the game is infuriating even with fast travel, and the battle at Kini Nui was pretty bad IMO.

The note bit's not exactly thrilling, but it hardly takes forever. And what was wrong with the battle?

• Upvote 1

The game itself makes a continuity error about this; he's shown having his golden mask at the end of the Le-Koro chapter yet at the Kini-Nui meeting, the mask's its original colour as are the other ones, and they then switch to gold when descending.

That seems to imply they all already have their golden masks and are simply switching to them, not that they got them at that moment.

• Upvote 1

That seems to imply they all already have their golden masks and are simply switching to them, not that they got them at that moment.

But why would they have switched back to the original colour just before that?

Just found this hidden away on one of the BIONICLE playlists on Lego's youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNKENwNsTTI&feature=youtu.be

Well that seems unbelievably easy and un-creative. 

Wait...What?!

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Hey, I don't claim to know all the answers. It just doesn't seem to me like that was intended to be the exact moment they gained the masks.

Just found this hidden away on one of the BIONICLE playlists on Lego's youtube channel:

I actually really like that competition. It seems simple, but also enjoyable. Imagine all the kids finding new joy in looking for objects that resemble some kind of mythical face!

• Upvote 1

Wait...What?!

Well think about it, it's literally just taking pictures of coloured objects with holes in them. 

It's time to move on.

Wait...What?!

Well think about it, it's literally just taking pictures of coloured objects with holes in them. 

Ah, because any colored object with holes in it will tickle the fancies of the judges, not the most interesting ones. Gotcha.

• Upvote 1

Wait...What?!

Ah, because any colored object with holes in it will tickle the fancies of the judges, not the most interesting ones. Gotcha.

Brb, gonna go take a pic of a chuck of pumice in my back yard. 

Edited by Anonymous User

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

So 6 weeks, 6 winners each, each winner will win a set. 

then on the 7th week, the final winners are selected from the pool of winners and each will win a golden mask, they're using the remaining golden masks on this contest...

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

I wish Lego hosted separate contests for each masks instead of just one, giving away the masks so quickly.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Wait...What?!

Yeah but it doesn't require much effort at all, you just have to be lucky and hope you own/see an interesting looking object, how about in order to win the contest you have to make an original mask out of lego bricks or something. 

It's time to move on.

I don't know the answer to this, but I can tell you that it was a deliberate move. MNOG drew on the cancelled PC game, in which the Toa still claimed their golden masks from their Suva and later switched to them from their standard masks when arriving at the Kini Nui. Although the actual story reasoning is impossible to know unless the game were to surface, from a mechanics perspective it was probably done so the developers wouldn't have to figure out how to implement the gold masks in the 7th, journey to Kini Nui level. The same thing is done in the cutscene leading to level 8, the Toa lose their gold masks when the Toa Kaita deconstruct, and they teleport away to battle Makuta with their standard Kanohi.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Yeah but it doesn't require much effort at all,

Thus opening it up to BIONICLE fans who may not have the means to create epic portrayals of masks or characters or whatever.

It's certainly more exciting than a raffle.

As far as I'm concerned in order to earn a valuable 14-karat gold anything you have to do something darned impressive. 

It's time to move on.

MNOG drew on the cancelled PC game, in which the Toa still claimed their golden masks from their Suva and later switched to them from their standard masks when arriving at the Kini Nui.

The last part is correct, but how would you know whether that game had them collect the golden masks at the Suva when we have no footage from that part of the game?

• Upvote 1

well i don't have a facebook, twitter, or instagram at this time, oops. :0

but this mask hunt is hecka rad! i already have the knack for finding weird faces in stuff, so it's basically up my alley!

(also, it takes inspiration in a similar way mask designing for bionicle would, find weird face in thing, take picture of just weird face, boom, bionicle mask. :u)

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

A comic from around that time and the second clip from the Legend of Mata Nui game showed more than two Manas, so I think that was canon at least then. Was that changed later?

Bit of an odd one, this.

Tale of the Toa is the first external source of the discontinuity.

The Toa's battle with the Manas is described as two Manas that are defeated by the two Toa Kaita. However, in Mata Nui Online Game, this battle is with a horde of Manas that are defeated by smashing control towers. In actuality aspects of both are canon, the Kaita did face a pair of Manas as confirmed in BIONICLE Legends 2: Dark Destiny, but defeated them by using the heating control towers as confirmed through BIONICLE: Encyclopedia.

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

I rarely use facebook and twitter, and don't even have an instagram, but I read through the general terms and it looks like it doesn't even matter how often you use them, as long as you post it somewhere with the hashtag before the end of each week you'll be entered (Although it did say the images have to be looked at individually so I don't think that it would be a good idea to send it at the end of the week)

I just want to know if you can send more than one each week, but right now the customer support email isn't set up and is just bouncing all emails with an immediate return in danish saying the address wasn't found.

Edited by steelviper77

In honor of the anniversary, I'm making a signature. Neat.

See, the thing with me is I have like 4-5 Targets within a 30 min drive. But the nearest LEGO store is 2-3 hours away. :(

So this Hero Pack is really just LEGO laughing in my face.

Unless I missed it, your post lost in such a riveting argument I could barely contain my excitement. Just an FYI, if you are comfortable ordering online you can order the Hero Pack through LegoShop@Home so you may be in luck. Im pretty sure the deal ends in April so I can only hope this post reaches you in time.

Unfortunately the promotion only lasted until March 20th, so it's been done for a bit now. :/

Oohps. Sorry. I was under the impression it was the entire month. My nbad

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

The Mask Hunt contest kind of sounds like a ploy to get kids to go outside and explore. That isn't a bad thing though. Plus, the Toa do it in the story, so I guess it kind of hints at people acting like them. :P

But anyways, I will be on the lookout for anything that resembles a mask. I just have to remember to have my camera with me to take a picture of it. :)

Edited by Toa Smoke Monster

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

MNOG drew on the cancelled PC game, in which the Toa still claimed their golden masks from their Suva and later switched to them from their standard masks when arriving at the Kini Nui.

The last part is correct, but how would you know whether that game had them collect the golden masks at the Suva when we have no footage from that part of the game?

Because we know from the pause menu that you must collect each Toa's Makoki stone in the game, and it's shown in the QFTM card game that the stones are acquired alongside the golden masks from the Suva.

Even disregarding that, though, I think it is a reasonable assumption. The concept is prominent in 2001 and it would seem odd to omit the acquisition of the gold masks in a game that is literally about the Toa collecting their masks.

• Upvote 1

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Because we know from the pause menu that you must collect each Toa's Makoki stone in the game, and it's shown in the QFTM card game that the stones are acquired alongside the golden masks from the Suva.

Even disregarding that, though, I think it is a reasonable assumption. The concept is prominent in 2001 and it would seem odd to omit the acquisition of the gold masks in a game that is literally about the Toa collecting their masks.

Well, we can't and may never know for sure.

I also question whether MNOLG is reliable for what might've been in LOMN, given the significant differences in how they portray the climax (no control towers in LOMN, no Manas-Ko or victory beam in MNOLG).

• Upvote 1