OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

This reminds be of something Greg said many years ago when asked if there would ever be a BIONICLE TV series. He said no, citing Galidor as a failure and said LEGO learned its lesson about how they should never have TV shows...so what changed?

It's also worth noting that LEGO took baby steps towards having TV series of their own. After Galidor's failure, they instead opted for direct-to-DVD movies for many years (the BIONICLE movies and The Adventures of Clutch Powers being the main examples). In 2010 they had a 22-minute TV special for LEGO Atlantis, then a four-episode TV miniseries for LEGO Hero Factory. And then in 2011 they had a TV special for LEGO Ninjago which "tested the waters" for the potential appeal of a full TV series. It wasn't until the LEGO Ninjago TV special proved wildly successful that they greenlit it for a full season. Contrast that with Galidor, which was rushed to production as soon as LEGO realized that BIONICLE was a genuine hit. They didn't properly pace their innovations, and that meant Galidor didn't get the development and testing time it needed to become the best theme it could be.

Even today, some LEGO TV series like the ones for LEGO Friends and LEGO Elves would be better described as specials or miniseries. Only the LEGO Ninjago and LEGO Legends of Chima episodes really constitute a full series.

There are other differences between LEGO Ninjago and Galidor as well. For one, the company in 2011 was in a much more secure position than they were for much of BIONICLE G1. They could afford to take more risks. Additionally, LEGO was able to secure the full rights to LEGO Ninjago, whereas Galidor's licensing situation was more like Mixels or The LEGO Movie in that it was co-developed and co-owned between LEGO and another company (in this case, CineGroupe). LEGO Ninjago and LEGO Legends of Chima obviously have a more popular product line as their foundation (they do not have to depend so completely on the TV show to generate interest in the toys), and they do not attempt to distance themselves from the LEGO brand.

• Upvote 5

They are very very good sets. I still can't get over how great they look.

Totally agree. They're fun builds and they look great - how can it get any better from here? Excited to see how 2016 tries to top it. :P

-NotS

I think they can top it with more unique parts. The only main aesthetic part that was different was that piston shell. Even the new weapons were reused. I wish Kopaka had his own unique shield design and not Tahu's swords. 2015 was great, but 2016 can be even better if they make the sets look a little more unique than other CCBS sets. 

Edited by hiddenderek

Totally agree. They're fun builds and they look great - how can it get any better from here? Excited to see how 2016 tries to top it. :P

-NotS

This is like Avengers: Age of Ultron/The Avengers levels of difficulty trying to do better than the last line when the last line was already amazing. :P I have faith in Lego, though, and perhaps so that they can avoid having to give the Toa an upgrade as such, I wouldn't be surprised if they just give them a new design specifically suited to the surroundings, a bit like the Adaptive Armour.  :shrugs:

VBWj75sh.png

I keep seeing people wishing Kopaka had a unique shield piece, which confuses me greatly because Kopaka has never had a unique shield piece.

Then maybe it's time he did? :P

but... why? :0

I don't really or particularly think that, I'm just pointing out that him not having a unique shield might be why people want him to, like an improvement.

I keep seeing people wishing Kopaka had a unique shield piece, which confuses me greatly because Kopaka has never had a unique shield piece.

Then maybe it's time he did? :P

but... why? :0

I don't really or particularly think that, I'm just pointing out that him not having a unique shield might be why people want him to, like an improvement.

It might be because he shares the piece with another Toa, in this case Tahu. With the other versions his shield piece wasn't included in any other Toa for that wave. 

Edited by The Irrational Rock

bZpOwEr

So I picked up my 5th Toa today. I wanted Kopaka but he was AWOL so I grabbed a Pohatu instead. Well  get my boy for the weekend so I let him build it entirely himself. While he struggled a bit the hard parts did not stop him long as he charged on through step after step. Stopping finally after being stumped on the Jeterang deals. That and it was dinner time. So with the call of Pizza he stopped...

After he was done I modified the set so the arms where identicle in bone structure though the armor is slightly A-symmetrical.

As for Kopaka wasn't his Toa Mata and Nuva version sporting unique shields?

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

So I picked up my 5th Toa today. I wanted Kopaka but he was AWOL so I grabbed a Pohatu instead. Well  get my boy for the weekend so I let him build it entirely himself. While he struggled a bit the hard parts did not stop him long as he charged on through step after step. Stopping finally after being stumped on the Jeterang deals. That and it was dinner time. So with the call of Pizza he stopped...

After he was done I modified the set so the arms where identicle in bone structure though the armor is slightly A-symmetrical.

I forgot to mention that my boy is only 4. So much for this set being rated for ages 7-14. I guess Pohatu maybe really is the easiest set to build... :P 

No, they were pre-existing System dishes.

Ah, I did not know that. I thought they meant as far as the other Toa were concerned. By that he had a unique shield. Though seeing as how he was the only Gen1 Toa to have a shield it was not a hard stretch. I didn't know his shields were preexisting pieces already.

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

This reminds be of something Greg said many years ago when asked if there would ever be a BIONICLE TV series. He said no, citing Galidor as a failure and said LEGO learned its lesson about how they should never have TV shows...so what changed?

It's also worth noting that LEGO took baby steps towards having TV series of their own. After Galidor's failure, they instead opted for direct-to-DVD movies for many years (the BIONICLE movies and The Adventures of Clutch Pow blah blah blah lit it for a full season. Contrast that with Galidor, which was rushed to production as soon as LEGO realized that BIONICLE was a genuine hit. They didn't properly pace their innovations, and that meant Galidor didn't get the development and testing time it needed to become the best theme it could be.

Even today, some LEGO TV series like the ones for LEGO Friends and LEGO Elves blah blah blah really constitute a full series.

There are other differences between LEGO Ninjago and Galidor as well. For one, the blah blah blah for much of BIONICLE G1. They could afford to take more risks. Additionally, LEGO was able to secure the full rights to LEGO Ninjago, whereas Galidor's licensing blah blah blah not attempt to distance themselves from the LEGO brand.

GALIDOR! GALIDOR! 

Sorry for off-topic, but GALIDOR! 

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

According to BrickLink, 2001 Kopaka's shield has been around since 1992 (however, it was black in the set it appeared in, then). 2002 Kopaka's shield has been around since 1979. It was light gray.

2008 Kopaka, on the other hand, didn't even HAVE a shield.

• Upvote 2

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

According to BrickLink, 2001 Kopaka's shield has been around since 1992 (however, it was black in the set it appeared in, then).

That doesn't seem to be correct, since I have a classic space set from 1982 that uses the piece in light grey. I think Bricklink might wanna fix that, though.

"The Kingslayer"

z2r5DTz.png

Complete Okoto Alphabet + Okotoan Symbols | Infrared's Okoto Font | SDCC Semi-Live Coverage

—————————BZPGOT S1 KILLS—————————

Gi9juq3.png

According to BrickLink, 2001 Kopaka's shield has been around since 1992 (however, it was black in the set it appeared in, then).

That doesn't seem to be correct, since I have a classic space set from 1982 that uses the piece in light grey. I think Bricklink might wanna fix that, though.

There are two variations of that part. The one used on Kopaka, from 1992, had a square cutout in the bottom so that it would attach securely in place on a 2x2 brick or plate, rather than spinning freely. The older version lacked that structure and as such would spin freely even when attached by four studs.

Anyway, I personally like Kopaka's shield, both because it looks fairly distinctive (much moreso than the very plain radar dishes the classic Kopaka used), and because its double function as skis is pretty effective. On that note, I think giving him a spear instead of a sword was a stroke of genius—not only does it help to diversify the team so that there are no longer two sword users, but it also works great as a ski pole in adrenalin mode.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

On that note, I think giving him a spear instead of a sword was a stroke of genius—not only does it help to diversify the team so that there are no longer two sword users, but it also works great as a ski pole in adrenalin mode.

I don't know if it was actually intentional, but I think Tahu and Kopaka both having swords was an interesting way to symbolise their rivalry, like they were on an equal level, leaving it unclear who's greater.

• Upvote 2

On that note, I think giving him a spear instead of a sword was a stroke of genius—not only does it help to diversify the team so that there are no longer two sword users, but it also works great as a ski pole in adrenalin mode.

I don't know if it was actually intentional, but I think Tahu and Kopaka both having swords was an interesting way to symbolise their rivalry, like they were on an equal level, leaving it unclear who's greater.

I agree, but I definitely prefer the added variety Kopaka's spear affords him, and the way it effectively pairs with both his battle mode (as a weapon with longer range that he can use from behind his shield) and adrenalin mode (as a ski pole) is pretty great.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I can definitely respect that, but I think that attempt sort of fell flat on account of the fact that Kopaka had both a sword AND a shield, and while that made Kopaka feel less redundant, it also made the parallels between the two characters a bit weaker. Switching Kopaka's weapon to a spear solves a number of problems, I think.

First of all, it diverts attention back to his shield. This is good, I think, because a defensive battle strategy goes hand-in-hand with his guarded attitude. He's just as guarded physically as he is emotionally. I actually think it does the characters' rivalry a service to treat it not just as two headstrong characters with similar skills and attitudes, but two characters whose skills and attitudes are diametrically opposed: Tahu being outgoing and aggressive, Kopaka being introverted and defensive. Giving Kopaka the defense-oriented "Frost Sphere" ability and Tahu the attack-oriented "flame spin" ability also helps reinforce this contrast between the two characters.

Second, as Lyi mentioned, it diversifies the team somewhat. There are already two sword users on the team, between Tahu in battle or adrenalin mode and Lewa in adrenalin mode. There's no need to add a third to that list. Admittedly, for what it's worth, there's also another spear user on the team, if you count the Power Harpoon from Gali's adrenalin mode, but I'd rather have two sword users and two spear users than three sword users.

And third, as he also hinted in his last couple posts, a spear complements both his shield and his skis quite nicely. It also fits with both Kopaka's icy environment (the image of a hunter in a frozen wasteland wielding a spear is quite ubiquitous) and his "lancer" archetype.

• Upvote 2

I'm going to be building Onua today! :D :D :D After that, I need Gali and Hero pack to complete the wave! :D

I'm going to be getting all of the Skull Villains when they come out. Although a lot of people don't like them, I do. ;)

I'm also looking forward to seeing some awesome BIONICLE Mocs at Brickfair NE! :D

Edited by Daler99
  • Upvote 1

~Daler

I agree, but I definitely prefer the added variety Kopaka's spear affords him, and the way it effectively pairs with both his battle mode (as a weapon with longer range that he can use from behind his shield) and adrenalin mode (as a ski pole) is pretty great.

I think the fact that Tahu and Kopaka use two of the same blade piece ties them together better, and then the fact that Tahu uses them as swords and Kopaka uses them as a shield better symbolizes the rivalry.

Darn you, I was literally going to say the same thing of how they may not both have swords but the pieces they use for their different weapons are the same. Only implemented differently to make them appear as different. In truth they both can use their parts as twin swords, skis, a lava/snow board, or a large shield.

Onua.png

Bonus symmetry: Tahu combines his swords for adrenalin mode, Kopaka splits his apart.

Do you ever see a thing and you're embarrassed you didn't see it earlier?

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 7

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

I think the fact that Tahu and Kopaka use two of the same blade piece ties them together better,

Bonus symmetry: Tahu combines his swords for adrenalin mode, Kopaka splits his apart.

It's quite remarkable that the first point echoes the Mata (both having swords), and the second the Nuva (the surfboard and ski functions have been carried over identically).

• Upvote 1

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but in the latest Lego Club Magazine there's a Bionicle spread that advertises the poll on the Club website and has stats on the Toa's power, special abilities, intelligence, weaponry, fear factory and luck on a scale of one to 10 (although nobody scored lower than a 3 on anything and the only 10 is Tahu's luck). I find it amusing that Lewa's luck is the lowest of them all (5).

• Upvote 1

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but in the latest Lego Club Magazine there's a Bionicle spread that advertises the poll on the Club website and has stats on the Toa's power, special abilities, intelligence, weaponry, fear factory and luck on a scale of one to 10 (although nobody scored lower than a 3 on anything and the only 10 is Tahu's luck). I find it amusing that Lewa's luck is the lowest of them all (5).

Makes sense. Generation 1 Lewa was always getting possessed (Infected Mask, Krana, Tren Krom). Not to mention he hated water, and his first mask was hidden underwater. Then, last we heard of him, he was taken hostage by Jungle Tribe Agori...

EDIT: Just curious, who has the lowest intelligence?

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese
  • Upvote 1

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

You guys pointing out this symmetry in Kopaka and Tahu is actually leaving me impressed. I have a new respect for the re-use of these sword pieces.

Also, I can't believe it's May already. I wonder if the summer line will kick-off starting next month?

EDIT: Toa of Gallifrey - I posted the images in a separate topic but I might as well post em here too (for those who don't want to bother logging into the LEGO Club website):

may_centerfold1.png

may_centerfold2.png

Always enjoyed the stats from the latter half of G1 so it's nice to see them back!

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

EDIT: Toa of Gallifrey - I posted the images in a separate topic but I might as well post em here too (for those who don't want to bother logging into the LEGO Club website):

may_centerfold1.png

-NotS

I know we've seen the Toa/Protector combo models before, but I think they all have really cool poses in this pic. Though maybe its just me, but I kind of see hints of purple on Pohatu's lower right leg, Lewa's launcher, and Kopaka's back armor. Just anyone else see this? 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/aazz09/bionicle2015/may_centerfold1.png

-NotS

I know we've seen the Toa/Protector combo models before, but I think they all have really cool poses in this pic. Though maybe its just me, but I kind of see hints of purple on Pohatu's lower right leg, Lewa's launcher, and Kopaka's back armor. Just anyone else see this?

I'm more struck by the color dissonance between the lightning bolts on the Protector of Stone's weapon and the other Tr. Flu. Green parts like the ammo, Pohatu's eyes, and the glowing parts of the Jeterangs. Those parts should all be the same color. Somebody making these renders obviously screwed up there.

Otherwise, given the extremely awkward posing we've seen in previous magazine-exclusive BIONICLE and Hero Factory renders, I'm honestly quite impressed with all the poses here!

• Upvote 2

All of the Toa sets can fight off skull spiders that latch onto their faces using the eyestalk function except one, and funnily enough, it's Lewa. This basically means that he can in no way physically or mentally fight off the control the skull spiders once one latches to his face since he can't really use his eyestalk gimmick (which to me represents the willpower and ability to fight back the control of infected/mind controlling masks/creatures) like the rest, so someone else would have to knock it off. *Hint* Onua *Hint*.

Now you could say that it would be hard for him to lose his mask in the first place, but with how low his luck is it's almost a given that the improbable would be extremely probable with him. 

Edited by BlatantlyHeroic

Poor Lewa. He truly is the buttmonkey of the group. He has both the lowest intelligence and the lowest luck. Poor guy. I honestly expected Tahu to have the lowest intelligence, but nope. Lewa.

That doesn't even make sense considering he's the most sarcastic and witty of the group. Perhaps they mean wisdom instead of intelligence? Lewa is arrogant and rushes in, perhaps he's smart but due to his rebellious and quick acting nature it negates that intelligence when put into stat form? I have no clue. 

Poor Lewa. He truly is the buttmonkey of the group. He has both the lowest intelligence and the lowest luck. Poor guy. I honestly expected Tahu to have the lowest intelligence, but nope. Lewa.

That doesn't even make sense considering he's the most sarcastic and witty of the group. Perhaps they mean wisdom instead of intelligence? Lewa is arrogant and rushes in, perhaps he's smart but due to his rebellious and quick acting nature it negates that intelligence when put into stat form? I have no clue. 

Yeah, I think it's most likely meant to reflect that he's the least likely to think before acting.

• Upvote 1

I like how Lewa has the lowest luck level out of them all, that might be a nod to his incidents during Gen1.

Or foreshadowing to some incidents with the summer waves? One of the skull villains has a Mask of Air in his set; perhaps an infected/power drained version? 

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica