OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Nobody was expecting a stunning piece of English literature to come out of 2015. Especially considering that this was the first third of the story. Patience, people. We got a good storyline for this year. Not fantastic, not horrible. Interesting, giving us a better 'young Toa' vibe than the Inika or Metru ever did. The Masters at this point are basically the earnest young kids (*cough*target audience*cough*) to G1's saviours of the universe. We have two more years before the Masters and G2 have to retire.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Personally I was disappointed in the winged figure tease. I thought it would be Kopaka or Gali, but it's...Tahu?

Gahhhh I'm over Tahued. 

Tell me... were you ever over-Tahu'ed back in 01-02-03? Of course they're going to use their poster boy. Red sells most and attracts the most attention. I don't understand your logic... if there even is any. Kopaka wouldn't work because Kopaka doesn't get wings. Gali wouldn't work for the same reason.

Edited by Tarvaxx

Nobody was expecting a stunning piece of English literature to come out of 2015. Especially considering that this was the first third of the story. Patience, people. We got a good storyline for this year. Not fantastic, not horrible. Interesting, giving us a better 'young Toa' vibe than the Inika or Metru ever did. The Masters at this point are basically the earnest young kids (*cough*target audience*cough*) to G1's saviours of the universe. We have two more years before the Masters and G2 have to retire.

Good seems like an exaggeration. I'd at most grant the first half being "passable." The second half mostly just sucked...pacing, interactions, story cohesiveness or lack thereof...it disappointed me on every front.

Which is sad, since I was so strongly in favor of giving these animations a chance. I haven't been so disappointed in a new theme's story since Chima, and at least that got decent-ish towards the end of its first year. Bionicle offered no real positive qualities for me to care about.

But then, I suppose that I can not fully blame them for the lacking result. The format meant they were doomed from the start. If there's something I've learned well over this year, it's that 90 second shows suck as a rule.

But whatever the reason or however I want to rationalize it, they were still pretty bad. Meh.

AXKP5KC.png

Re: The Great Gatsby, I definitely didn't enjoy it, but I read it at a time when I was struggling with depression so I don't know how authentic my reaction to it was. Gosh, eleventh grade English class was rough. The Scarlet Letter, The Great Gatsby, Of Mice and Men... so many miserable, unfortunate stories about miserable, unfortunate people. And understanding the point of those stories just made it worse, because it was usually a very bleak point at a point in time when I didn't need any more bleak thoughts in my head. Of Mice and Men was the worst because while I was trying to come to terms with my own disability and what it meant for my future, I was presented with this picture of a well-meaning disabled person who, by the end,

winds up in a situation where his best friend decides he'd be better off dead.

And I actually liked that ending at first until I had to explain its meaning to somebody else and realized what an awful statement that is when you apply it to the world at large.

These days, as far as literature is concerned, I've mostly retreated into kids' fantasy stories, which works out just fine for me as a LEGO fan since that's what most LEGO stories boil down to. Reading the latest My Little Pony, Bionicle, Ninjago, or Lemony Snicket book makes me feel a lot happier and safer than I would be reading "more serious" literature. The most adult stuff I read anymore tends to be stuff by Neil Gaiman, an author I've decided I can trust to tell me stories that even at their darkest moments convey positive messages about the world and the people in it.

I don't think the Bionicle story will ever be great literature. I don't expect it to be. And quite frankly, given some of my experiences with supposedly great literature, I'm happier knowing that it's not.

• Upvote 7

Personally I was disappointed in the winged figure tease. I thought it would be Kopaka or Gali, but it's...Tahu?

Gahhhh I'm over Tahued. 

Tell me... were you ever over-Tahu'ed back in 01-02-03? Of course they're going to use their poster boy. Red sells most and attracts the most attention. I don't understand your logic... if there even is any. Kopaka wouldn't work because Kopaka doesn't get wings. Gali wouldn't work for the same reason.

I wasn't a Bionicle fan until 2005. So no. 

But seriously, Tahu was the main main guy for the first half of the 2015 animations, now he gets wings? They seem to be making the same mistake they made last time, putting Tahu way above the others.

G1 never did that. In 01, the comics and MNOG gave all the Toa a chance to shine. This continued to happen all though 02-03. The fire-emphasis was 2004-05, but that's because of that dynamic character named Vakama, and Lhikan. You can argue Takua and Jaller got more screen time than other Matoran, but that doesn't really apply to Tahu himself. (And Takua was an Av - Matoran. :P)

I don't understand your argument about the wings. Kopaka had wings in 2008 and Hahli had wings in 2007. Flying water and ice toa are not unprecedented. And the animation picture looked like Gali.  

I don't think the Bionicle story will ever be great literature. I don't expect it to be. And quite frankly, given some of my experiences with supposedly great literature, I'm happier knowing that it's not.

This, seriously. 

Gahhhh I'm over Tahued. 

I wasn't a Bionicle fan until 2005. So no. 

But seriously, Tahu was the main main guy for the first half of the 2015 animations, now he gets wings? They seem to be making the same mistake they made last time, putting Tahu way above the others.

G1 never did that. In 01, the comics and MNOG gave all the Toa a chance to shine. This continued to happen all though 02-03. The fire-emphasis was 2004-05, but that's because of that dynamic character named Vakama, and Lhikan. You can argue Takua and Jaller got more screen time than other Matoran, but that doesn't really apply to Tahu himself. (And Takua was an Av - Matoran. :P)

I don't understand your argument about the wings. Kopaka had wings in 2008 and Hahli had wings in 2007. Flying water and ice toa are not unprecedented. And the animation picture looked like Gali.  

This, seriously. 

G1 never did that? G1 did that all of the time. You do realize MNOG was made from the perspective of a Matoran, and that we weren't truly following the Toa on their quest the way we are in 2015, right? Tahu isn't even in the spotlight in the animations (Kopaka gets a bit more attention, as does Lewa). We only follow him at the start, and we STILL get to see snippets of what the other Toa were doing. What, do you want to see the same thing over and over with slight scenery changes? Because that's pretty much what you'd get if we followed them all equally at the start. 

Also, he's not the only one who gets wings. He's just the only one shown to have completed the combining process. The other Toa are clearly still in that process if you look at the elemental energy beam that looks like its pulling them and the creatures behind them together. 

I don't have an argument against the wings, I just know that Gali and Kopaka won't get wings. That's as much as I will say. They just don't.

Edited by -Windrider-

I'm thinking the creatures themselves have functions of their own, wings that flap and claws and stingers that slash and jab an' whatnot, and when they fuse with the Toa, their function probably connects to whatever function the Toa's own new torsos have and when you activate the Toa's function, it also activates the creature's function.

That's what I theorize, anyway. That would be pretty darn cool, if combining them actually gave them MORE functions instead of hindering them. I'm thinking Gali will probably get a hydropack of sorts, and the others will just get extra arms or wings or whatever.

I hope I'm not saying too much.

Edit: A bit of leaked info in there.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

Hate to intrude on a conversation, but any word on the Villain Pack yet? I see it on eBay from the same russian seller still for a relatively low price ($15, although I'm not that desperate to buy at that price), but I'd still like to pick up a few if possible.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

Hate to intrude on a conversation, but any word on the Villain Pack yet? I see it on eBay from the same russian seller still for a relatively low price ($15, although I'm not that desperate to buy at that price), but I'd still like to pick up a few if possible.

Yeah i wonder why lego does not sell these packs in retail stores instead of forcing it to become rare, especially to those who barely know about it's existence.

qs3135.jpg

You can argue Takua and Jaller got more screen time than other Matoran, but that doesn't really apply to Tahu himself. (And Takua was an Av - Matoran.  :P)

That wasn't revealed until long after 2003. At the time, he was considered a Ta-Matoran, and given that his body had some red and he lived in Ta-Koro, arguably he was.

That wasn't revealed until long after 2003. At the time, he was considered a Ta-Matoran, and given that his body had some red and he lived in Ta-Koro, arguably he was.

Even as a kid, the blue on him still confused me.  :P

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

I'm surprised that there aren't more Ta-Matoran with blue on them, blue being a commonly seen color in fires of greater temperature. 

bZpOwEr

Yeah, there were two ways to get Takua's mask when I was a kid.

1. Buy the set on eBay or just the piece off bricklink.

2. My primary school had a system where kids could order from a catalogue for things like books or painting kits. There was an offer for a complete collection of the Bionicle Chronicles books that came with a light blue Pakari. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it since my mom wouldn't let me.

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

I always just liked Takua's color scheme since it essentially had all three primary colors—his less blatantly elemental color scheme suited his everyman appeal. Of course, in '03 his feet changed to blue, which took away from that a bit.

• Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Sorry to change the topic, but I wanted to share something I was thinking about last night. I believe that the mask powers of the legendary masks are all up to the person wearing them. My thoughts go like this: They can do everything that their specific title could possible relate to. It just depends on what the user defines that as. Ekimu defined creation as crafting, Kulta defined creation as enhancement. Control can be defined as order, or it can be defined as overbearing, restricting, malicious, possessive, fascist. I think this explanation suits LEGO extremely well. Imagination is important to them, and so the two important legendary masks in BIONICLE possibly reflect that.

OP? Very, but that's to be expected. I'm not saying that I support a mask being that powerful, I'm just saying that it's a suitable explanation for the inconsistencies we've seen with what the masks can do for their wearers. 

• Upvote 3

I'm surprised that there aren't more Ta-Matoran with blue on them, blue being a commonly seen color in fires of greater temperature. 

For a long time I thought the blue was a way of representing his 'different' status. I don't remember when the 'fire can be blue' explanation came along, but it definitely wasn't there from the start.

Sorry to change the topic, but I wanted to share something I was thinking about last night. I believe that the mask powers of the legendary masks are all up to the person wearing them. My thoughts go like this: They can do everything that their specific title could possible relate to. It just depends on what the user defines that as. Ekimu defined creation as crafting, Kulta defined creation as enhancement. Control can be defined as order, or it can be defined as overbearing, restricting, malicious, possessive, fascist. I think this explanation suits LEGO extremely well. Imagination is important to them, and so the two important legendary masks in BIONICLE possibly reflect that.

OP? Very, but that's to be expected. I'm not saying that I support a mask being that powerful, I'm just saying that it's a suitable explanation for the inconsistencies we've seen with what the masks can do for their wearers.

Interesting intepretation. It does fit with TLC's ethos, and the MoCr was stated to be made out of gold and magic. Though how does creation mean enhancement?

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Sorry to change the topic, but I wanted to share something I was thinking about last night. I believe that the mask powers of the legendary masks are all up to the person wearing them. My thoughts go like this: They can do everything that their specific title could possible relate to. It just depends on what the user defines that as. Ekimu defined creation as crafting, Kulta defined creation as enhancement. Control can be defined as order, or it can be defined as overbearing, restricting, malicious, possessive, fascist. I think this explanation suits LEGO extremely well. Imagination is important to them, and so the two important legendary masks in BIONICLE possibly reflect that.

Interesting intepretation. It does fit with TLC's ethos, and the MoCr was stated to be made out of gold and magic. Though how does creation mean enhancement?

It does seem like a bit of a stretch, but if what I say has any merit to it, then the Mask of Creation could be used to "create" power, extra muscle tissue, and a number of things that could increase the wearers physique. Kulta is seen using the mask against the Toa and Ekimu in order to finish them off as quick as possible. He seemingly uses it to infuse his staff and body with a strange elemental power, whose color is quite different from that of the other elements.

Keep in mind that if the Mask of Creation didn't give him any extra power, then he could have just let it melt while he fought the Toa and Ekimu. From what it seems, Skull Grinder was no match for the Toa until he put on the Mask of Creation as shown by Ekimu's lines: "We will defeat you and get the mask long before it melts!" that confidence is lost as soon as Skull Grinder puts on the mask, to which our wise Ekimu says "Not good..."

Edited by Tarvaxx

Something else to take note of — we've already seen that the Skull Creatures can drain the power from Masks of Power and convert it to other uses like raising additional forces. So it's not hard to assume Skull Grinder might be able to similarly "convert" the Mask of Creation's inherent magical energy into strength. Some might bring up that the Mask of Creation's color wasn't drained like the other golden masks' color was, but it's possible that the Mask of Creation just has so much inherent power that draining it enough to enhance one's own strength isn't enough to "deplete" it.

In that case, enhanced strength isn't necessarily a power of the Mask of Creation, it's just a power of the Skull Creatures to convert mask power of any kind to other uses.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

@Aanchir While that is an excellent point, it should be considered that whenever the Skull Villain's tap into the power of the masks, they also steal power from the Toa. Pohatu's line:"There is a special link between Master and mask" comes to mind. Ekimu didn't feel his power being drained, and despite the mask having a plausible wealth of "magic", Ekimu himself might not be so lucky. 1/5th of the Mask of Creation's magic might equal one Ekimu in terms of energy. 

Edited by Tarvaxx

@Aanchir While that is an excellent point, it should be considered that whenever the Skull Villain's tap into the power of the masks, they also steal power from the Toa. Pohatu's line:"There is a special link between Master and mask" comes to mind. Ekimu didn't feel his power being drained, and despite the mask having a plausible wealth of "magic", Ekimu himself might not be so lucky. 1/5th of the Mask of Creation's magic might equal one Ekimu in terms of energy. 

But bear in mind that the Toa were maskless when the Skull Creatures drained their power, while Ekimu had been buried with an entirely different mask for over 1,000 years. So maybe the Mask of Creation's "imprint" on him had worn off and his new golden mask had effectively taken its place.

Or maybe the power draining from a mask's wearer is proportionate. So if, say, a Skull Creature drained half the power of a mask, it would drain half the power of its wearer, regardless of whether the mask and wearer had equal power to begin with. So then, draining a tiny fraction of a mask's power would only drain a tiny fraction of its wearer's power.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

So, I got my villain pack! Sadly, the skull mask was done in the cheaper, much less lustrous looking pearl gold ABS, which is rather disappointing. But, it still looks pretty nice. The card stand was rather fiddly to put together, but looks alright all things considered. I appreciate the little Technic pieces, too.

Edited by Logan McOwen
  • Upvote 3

I look back at the episodes, and see that the only Skull Creature that wore one of the stolen masks was Slicer. All of the others just carried them around.

But Kulta also stole the Mask of Creation and wore it on his face.

Kulta made the Skull Creatures, so I think it is possible he chose Skull Slicer to be the one with the mask energy stealing power.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

So, I got my villain pack! Sadly, the skull mask was done in the cheaper, much less lustrous looking pearl gold ABS, which is rather disappointing. But, it still looks pretty nice. The card stand was rather fiddly to put together, but looks alright all things considered. I appreciate the little Technic pieces, too.

Congrats on getting it. 

Did you happen to get it from a store, or did you find it online?

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Congrats on getting it. 

I got it on eBay, from a seller in Croatia. Free postage!

Congrats on getting it. 

Same here, mate. It was a good deal. I'd say we're pretty fortunate considering that there's currently no sign of it officially releasing elsewhere other than Russia.

Congrats on getting it. 

Same here, mate. It was a good deal. I'd say we're pretty fortunate considering that there's currently no sign of it officially releasing elsewhere other than Russia.

Which sucks big-time. I was hoping it'd be like the Hero Pack, so I could order a second MMvSG in order to obtain it. But no, of course not.