OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Now that Black Friday and Cyber Monday are coming up, are there any good deals on Bionicles?

The Brick Fan has the ones for LEGO.com listed: http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-black-friday-2015-and-cyber-monday-deals/

The BZPower front page has a story that links to a list of other stores' deals, but I haven't had a chance to look at all of them so I don't know if there are any good BIONICLE offers.

On the note of books:  Who else is excited for Revenge of the Skull Spiders and Gathering of the Toa? ^_^

I haven't bought either of the G2 books so far, but I'm interested in Gathering of the Toa. I enjoyed the comics in G1, so I'm curious what the graphic novel will be like.

IetTsFQ.png

I haven't gotten it yet, but I'll look for it the next time I'm in a bookstore. ;)

On the note of books:  Who else is excited for Revenge of the Skull Spiders and Gathering of the Toa? ^_^

I am! I really enjoyed the first chapter book, and the title of the second makes me think that it will probably be an all-original story bridging the gap between the 2015 and 2016 story arcs rather than an adaptation. Ryder Windham handled the world and characters very well, so I'm confident his foray into graphic novels will be interesting in its own right (though I'm not sure who's doing the illustrations). There are two more graphic novels and at least one more chapter book announced for next year, so even on top of the Netflix series we'll surely have a lot to look forward to. :)

Lego is doing the Month of Ice in December? What madness is this?! :P

Joking aside, the artwork looks great here. Kopaka looks amazing, even though it kind of looks like he has mini Hulk arms IMO. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Lego is doing the Month of Ice in December? What madness is this?! :P

Joking aside, the artwork looks great here. Kopaka looks amazing, even though it kind of looks like he has mini Hulk arms IMO.

Man, I love these Month of Ice paintings! They look very great!:D It's interesting and funny to see the Toa throwing snowballs at each other.:P

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I haven't bought either of the G2 books so far, but I'm interested in Gathering of the Toa. I enjoyed the comics in G1, so I'm curious what the graphic novel will be like.

I also enjoyed the G1 comics (I started collecting them in 2006). :)  I really hope that the G2 comics are awesome too.

I haven't gotten it yet, but I'll look for it the next time I'm in a bookstore. ;)

I am! I really enjoyed the first chapter book, and the title of the second makes me think that it will probably be an all-original story bridging the gap between the 2015 and 2016 story arcs rather than an adaptation. Ryder Windham handled the world and characters very well, so I'm confident his foray into graphic novels will be interesting in its own right (though I'm not sure who's doing the illustrations). There are two more graphic novels and at least one more chapter book announced for next year, so even on top of the Netflix series we'll surely have a lot to look forward to. :)

I agree with what you're saying.  I hope LoSS returns to have his revenge on those horrid Toa that knocked him into that chasm! MEW HAHA!! :P  Anyway, I am also content with Ryder Windham as the new "Greg."  He seems to be doing a pretty good job. :D  I just hope that The Journey to One is good. :P

While I doubt that there will be online animations in 2016, I still hope that there will be some.

~Daler

Looking forward to Revenge of the Skull Spiders because of what Aanchir said. Hopefully it won't spoil the entire 2016 story. 

What I think the book will be is LoSS rising out of the chasm with his Golden Mask of the Skull Spiders, re-amassing his Skull Spider army, and attacking. :P

• Upvote 2

~Daler

On the note of books: Who else is excited for Revenge of the Skull Spiders and Gathering of the Toa? ^_^

Looking forward to Revenge of the Skull Spiders because of what Aanchir said. Hopefully it won't spoil the entire 2016 story.
What I think the book will be is LoSS rising out of the chasm with his Golden Mask of the Skull Spiders, re-amassing his Skull Spider army, and attacking. :P

It could be. I hope it could lead to the fates of the other Skull Creatures, including Kulta, too. Last time we saw them, the Skull Spiders were defeated. Some of them are lying on the ground, some are fell from cliffs, and some were destroyed. Their Lord fell from a bridge. The Skull Warriors got their butts kicked. Skull Slicer fell. Two Skull Scorpios were crushed like bugs. Skull Basher got his butt kicked easily. And finally, Kulta got hit by Ekimu, being knocked down to the ground. Their fates are unknown, but let's hope the book will show if they survived.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I stopped at my other local bookstore yesterday (they were the same store that had Island of Lost Masks), and they had the activity book! :D  It comes with a pretty cool poster at the back, comic versions of The Legend and Episode 9, and a couple pictures with Skull Spiders in a multitude of colors. :P  I took a couple of pictures.  I'll try to get around to posting them later today/tomorrow. ^_^

• Upvote 2

~Daler

I kind of wish the activity book had some new background information on Okoto, but I'm not surprised that it doesn't.

The only thing that could be called "world building" (if it is canon) is an activity for translating some names written in runes, where the runes are not the Okoto Alphabet from Island of Lost Masks or the simplified rune strip from the animations.

What is bad is that the "exclusive" mask included is just Ekimu's mask. I can imagine some people may buy the book based on the mask and be very disappointed when it is not actually "exclusive" as advertised...

:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

Is the Mask of Creation at least in a different colour?

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

On the note of books: Who else is excited for Revenge of the Skull Spiders and Gathering of the Toa? ^_^

It could be. I hope it could lead to the fates of the other Skull Creatures, including Kulta, too. Last time we saw them, the Skull Spiders were defeated. Some of them are lying on the ground, some are fell from cliffs, and some were destroyed. Their Lord fell from a bridge. The Skull Warriors got their butts kicked. Skull Slicer fell. Two Skull Scorpios were crushed like bugs. Skull Basher got his butt kicked easily. And finally, Kulta got hit by Ekimu, being knocked down to the ground. Their fates are unknown, but let's hope the book will show if they survived.

Skull Slicer didn't just fall, he got flushed out of the city and into the chasm below (hammer flush was a very deadly game I guess), so his fate is most likely similar to LoSS's. 

This was confirmed by Merlin P. Mann in a recent interview. They wanted to expand on a lot of things, but a lot had to be cut because of the 90 second time constraint. 

Edited by Tarvaxx

What is bad is that the "exclusive" mask included is just Ekimu's mask. I can imagine some people may buy the book based on the mask and be very disappointed when it is not actually "exclusive" as advertised...

I can't. We've know it's the protector mask for ages now,, and we've known that activity books never have exclusive stuff for even longer. Simply looking it up would yield that information. There's really no reason for anyone to have expected any more, and thus no reason to be disappointed.

AXKP5KC.png

Skull Slicer didn't just fall, he got flushed out of the city and into the chasm below (hammer flush was a very deadly game I guess), so his fate is most likely similar to LoSS's. 

This was confirmed by Merlin P. Mann in a recent interview. They wanted to expand on a lot of things, but a lot had to be cut because of the 90 second time constraint. 

Interesting. Maybe that means we'll see Skull Slicer again in the future. 

Do you have a link for that interview? I would be very interested in reading it.

pc0lX6T.png

Interesting. Maybe that means we'll see Skull Slicer again in the future. 

Do you have a link for that interview? I would be very interested in reading it.

It's an interview conducted by TTV for the Summer Wave animations, you can find it on their channel. It's a rather recent video so it shouldn't be too hard to find. 

Yep, I meant Ekimu's Protector mask. They could have at least given a recolour (the preliminary pictures looked like the mask would be gold and trans orange, so maybe that was the plan originally). :(

I can't. We've know it's the protector mask for ages now,, and we've known that activity books never have exclusive stuff for even longer. Simply looking it up would yield that information. There's really no reason for anyone to have expected any more, and thus no reason to be disappointed.
The Amazon description explicitly says:

With an exclusive Mask of Power for a LEGO BIONICLE figure!

So anyone who does not live on a BIONICLE fan site is likely to be misled.

Also, TTV have found a preview for Revenge of the Skull Spiders on iBooks!

It looks like the book will describe

what happened to the Protectors during and following the Toa's battle with LoSS. (I called it. :P) Hopefully this book will contain the detail that the second half of Island of Lost Masks was missing!

I don't think it's the Mask of Creation, it's Ekimu's Protector mask.

But isn't the activity book cheaper than the Ekimu vs Skullgrinder set (not counting shipping cost)?...if so that would make it easy to get Ekimu's golden/trans-blue mask especially for those who can't afford the set or cant find it.

Edited by ---Kopaka Nuva---

qs3135.jpg

I don't think it's the Mask of Creation, it's Ekimu's Protector mask.

But isn't the activity book cheaper than the Ekimu vs Skullgrinder set (not counting shipping cost)?...if so that would make it easy to get Ekimu's golden/trans-blue mask especially for those who can't afford the set or cant find it.

I think that was part of the idea behind including that specific mask. It's one of the prettier and harder-to-get masks in this year's sets, making it a draw for casual or new fans... but it won't necessarily replace Mask Maker vs. Skull Grinder for dedicated fans, since you'll still need to get that larger set to get the highly promoted Mask of Creation.

A lot of people had wanted either an exclusive mask (like a blended mask for Tahu or Gali) or a rare event mask (like the NYCC Tahu mask, SDCC Skull Scorpio mask, or Inside Tour Gali mask). But the logistics just aren't feasible for either of those. A $9 Activity book isn't going to sell enough copies or earn enough profit per book to justify a brand-new mask being produced. And not only would including an earlier exclusive devalue the ones already distributed, but the only way those can be produced in the first place is with small batches squeezed into Lego's production schedule for normal retail sets—they just can't be produced in the numbers necessary for worldwide distribution without cutting into Lego's overall production schedule.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Weird.  It looks like they just took an image of the prototype Vahi and warped it to give it some perspective.

So before everyone jumps on this as "G1 G2 CONNECTION CONFIRMED" consider the fact that it's probably just a placeholder.

Otherwise, very intrigued by the art and story here.

Edited by Bfahome

OpAXNpl.jpg

Weird.  It looks like they just took an image of the prototype Vahi and warped it to give it some perspective.

So before everyone jumps on this as "G1 G2 CONNECTION CONFIRMED" consider the fact that it's probably just a placeholder.

Yeah, I'd say it's a placeholder as well. It may be a bit too early to show the Mask of Time's true appearance. It makes me wonder why they didn't just black it out, though.

Edited by Rooster Nui

Yeah, I'd say it's a placeholder as well. It may be a bit too early to show the Mask of Time's true appearance. It makes me wonder why they didn't just black it out, though.

Maybe they just didn't want to ruin how the preview looked with a censor.

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

This is good news, regardless.

If they don't want to reveal the Mask of Time's actual G2 design now, it suggests that it will be included in a future set, which they don't want competitors to get a preview of.

At the very least, this confirms that the Mask of Time will have future story significance. Because if it didn't have, then LEGO would never have the chance to show the "full-face" design that was promised at launch.

If they don't want to reveal the Mask of Time's actual G2 design now, it suggests that it will be included in a future set, which they don't want competitors to get a preview of.

Not really. It could also mean that the new mask's design isn't finalized yet (which would be understandable, considering this book was probably being worked on much earlier this year and none of the sets we know of so far will include the Mask of Time). Or simply that the artist for these graphic novels didn't have any reference material other than the sets and media we ourselves have access to.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I only skimmed the comic, but honestly I'm disappointed in the art style. Based on the book's cover, I was hoping it would be hand-drawn like the comics of old...not a big fan of the digital style. It looks like they spent more time working on the backgrounds than on the actual characters.

Anyway, it looks fairly interesting. It's nice to see villages full of unique villagers, unlike the tiled guys from the webisodes.

IetTsFQ.png

BS01 has got their hands on a preview of Gathering of the Toa:

http://fb.me/4IaP7UW5T

Most interestingly (and perhaps surprisingly, given what was said at G2's launch) is that the G2 Mask of Time is shown to look the same as the G1 Vahi. :o

I didn't even notice the Mask of Time there when I first saw this. Just goes to show what one can miss if they rush through reading something. :P

Anyways, it does look a lot like the G1 Vahi, but I do agree that its probably a placeholder for the official look of the mask.

pc0lX6T.png