OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

I've been with Bionicle from the start but I lost touch with the site during the great downtime. Not sure if I should add Turaga, since I never actually owned any....

So, I was thinking. There's been speculation that it could be a continuation, and I think I may have figured out how they could have it work per say. Excuse my ramblings below:

• Story picks up an uncertain time after the serials we saw the start of in 2010. Mata Nui is gone, but people still reference him/Teridax/the MU as a whole. All the, for lack of a better term, God like characters(Artakha and the ilk) have been killed/driven into hiding/something. The Mask of Creation was lost following what happened to Artakha, though it's said he left a few clues. Mata Nui, while still a member of the canon, is removed from the equation on the board following his, to quote SPIRIT's Bionicle in 2 Minutes, "Nap Time"
  • The 5 Nuva and Tahu are our heroes. There's still the supporting cast of various different creatures/characters such as Roodaka, but I'd imagine they'd play out like the supporting characters in Ninjago where they aren't as important to the main plot.
  • If I recall correctly(This was 4 years okay, so it might be fuzzy) The Great Being on Spherus Manga(Angonce) tried to stop Marender from being unleashed but was too late. I'm thinking maybe he's the villain, as the Toa worked to Protect the Matoran and well.....Programming can go haywire. Considering a Matoran can become a Toa, it's not too much to assume. Alternatively, someone on here suggested Teridax could have survived, which would actually make a lot of sense with Lego's recent trends in story telling(See Ninjago Backstory) but infuriate me at the same time.
  • With these, we get Lego's 3 favourite trends for story telling: The Group of Heroes, the clear set dynamic between good and evil(Creation Vs. I'm assuming what will be akin to destruction), and the old evil coming back to haunt the current group(This may have just persuaded me on the whole Teridax thing even more.

Anyways, that's my thoughts

• Upvote 2

I would expect for Lego to at least officially reveal their winter Bionicle sets at NYCC. It would be a great oppotunity for them to do so, and I don't see why they wouldn't show them off there. We can only hope that they will give more story info as well. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I don't think I'm feeling so well about the fatter logo, to be perfectly honest.

bionicle_be_like_small.png

If it weren't for the sharper edges, the thing is borderline Comic Sans.

Bionicle: Doughnut edition. 

I think it looks fine. And the energy leaking through the words makes me feel like the thickness is kind of a shell to the logo you know? The energy is trying to break through. And it fits the aesthetic of this new Bionicle so far. So I can dig it.

-NotS

It was meant to be a joke. I like doughnuts. :)

• Upvote 1

Lol!

Speaking of collectibles, there seems to be a major emphasis on collecting Masks of Power. I wonder if this will be treated like it was in 2001?

-NotS

It does seem like it'll have a 2001 feel.

Indeed, hopefully it won't retread familiar ground too closely...

-NotS

Hopefully. We don't need 2001 the Rehash.

I just noticed something

The new mask has these things in the right and left

tumblr_nc5rjrHlYl1qm9p5uo2_250.png

Similar to this visor piece:

tumblr_nc5rjrHlYl1qm9p5uo1_250.gif

Cold this be the new head-mask attachment ?

KNIGHTS KINGDOM HEADS

Nooooooo bring back the axles!

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

I've changed my name to Turaga Jack, now we just have to wait for the Matoran to come! I may have not been on BZP for very long, but I have been following BIONICLE for most of my life, so I think i qualify.

Edited by Turaga Jack

Follow the light...

The Hype Train will take you to it

Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JTHStudio

Also, watch my new BIONICLE Short: "How BIONICLE Really Came Back" http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15938-how-bionicle-really-came-back-a-brickfilm/

The original was sleek, classy and timeless. This one is just unnecessarily kid-friendly.

Seriously?

Seriously?

If you are so concerned about the new BIONICLE living up to the old that you think an incredibly slight change in the thickness of the logo makes it too kid-friendly, then I certainly hope that the new BIONICLE doesn't waste its time trying to appeal to people like you.

Apologies if this is sarcasm and I failed to pick up on it.

• Upvote 7

Guys, play the Mask of Creation video with https://soundcloud.com/ralphdierickx/matoran-nathan-furst-iwpabt9 (Credit to Oroki) playing in the background. It is excellent.

#BIONICLE2015

I felt it.  :crying:

Anyway, from that leak a while back. It seems they were chasing their golden Kanohi down.

Anyone else feeling the" rare chance to get one when you by a set" vibe?

Edited by Turaga of Ponies

I'm still confused as to reboot v.s. continuation. At this point there's enough evidence to support both but it's frustrating not knowing which one. It's important and I feel we ought to be able to know at least what kind of story we're getting. It's pretty darn important to the fans.  :(

I just noticed something

KNIGHTS KINGDOM HEADS

I agree. Or at least I hope the new mask design can be compatible with the old heads.

I think you all mean: Throwbots

Came for the sets, stayed for the story.

I just noticed something

KNIGHTS KINGDOM HEADS

I agree. Or at least I hope the new mask design can be compatible with the old heads.

I can see that. I would prefer the axles rather than flipping pieces because the axles have a stronger hold on heads than the flipping pieces. The flipping pieces would easily fall out from the heads.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

So the logo is the pastry of the doughnut and the energy is the jam?

:shrugs:

Not quite. It's just a bit hard to conceptualize, but like they say any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a pastry.

Yep. 

It was meant to be a joke. I like doughnuts. :)

Bionicle doughnuts confirmed?

-NotS

YES. 

It's going to be the new collectible.

Let the amazing comedies begin.

Hopefully. We don't need 2001 the Rehash.

2001 had no doughnuts. It's already different. 

The original was sleek, classy and timeless. This one is just unnecessarily kid-friendly.

How do we know this? There's no indication as of yet that this Bionicle is any more kid-friendly than the last. In fact, they started with the Mask of Creation, something fans have waited for years to see, and then tried to make it as storyline authentic as possible.

And they made the logo 2 micrometers thicker! Geez Louise, that means its for 8-year olds, who would probably be scared by that freaky, savage looking mask!

• Upvote 1

I just noticed something

https://38.media.tumblr.com/6e6db69680fa563e86cbfb764ede585e/tumblr_nc5rjrHlYl1qm9p5uo2_250.png

https://33.media.tumblr.com/a7dad6543c1e8fc32224667d92b9da08/tumblr_nc5rjrHlYl1qm9p5uo1_250.gif

KNIGHTS KINGDOM HEADS

I can see that. I would prefer the axles rather than flipping pieces because the axles have a stronger hold on heads than the flipping pieces. The flipping pieces would easily fall out from the heads.

What if that's the point? What if the new sets involve a competitive, knock-off-the-mask element like the original 2001 and 2002 sets did?

Anyway, I don't think there'd be any huge issue with the new masks falling off the heads when you don't want them to. The jaws of the beast sets from Hero Factory Invasion from Below connect in a similar way without having that issue, and while I don't expect the new masks to attach THAT securely (if they were, even switching masks could feel like a chore), it shows that this type of connection is hardly guaranteed to be loose or flimsy.

• Upvote 2

My money is on a reboot with mask of creation on mata nui and the visorak comming 4 years early, or a continuation where when vakama or whoever says "gather friends to listen to the tale of bionicle" (dont think i got that word for word :( ) he will do a 30 second summary of the story from 2001 - 2010. 

wearewaiting.gif

As long as there is one bionicle fan out there there is still hope for bionicle to return. Keep faith. Bionicle is amazing.

I think the new mask connection is pretty cool. It's a little disappointing that it probably won't be completely compatible with the old heads but what's done is done. I'm interested if there's a specific reason why they made it so that the masks can flip up to reveal the faces.

My only worry about this though is how they'll work. I feel like they won't be very use-able for anything except masks (sometimes masks can be used for armor) and that the little pegs that attach it to the head will wear out and make it unusable. I don't know if it'll work like that but I hope they won't wear out easily (Knowing Lego's quality it hopefully won't).

I'm interested in how the heads will work. I'd like them to not be completely transparent and have a brain stalk or something, but it seems Lego is pretty into the whole transparent heads thing.

In case of continuation:

Who knows what the Bota Magna Agori might've done to him, if they imprisoned him? They have about 100,000 years worth of knowledge about implementing plants to armour.

Edited by -Windrider-

"Onua gazes upon the Earth and sees riches. It is our Duty to dig, and our Destiny to find them"

- Aiyetoro

They're probably dropping some of the complicated terms. Lego might even have dropped the "Kanohi ... , Mask of ..." thing, judging by the Facebook page. 

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the over-complicated terms go, but "Kanohi" and "Toa" are such iconic names, I'd be kinda sad if they didn't use them anymore.

• Upvote 5

Hail Denmark

They're probably dropping some of the complicated terms. Lego might even have dropped the "Kanohi ... , Mask of ..." thing, judging by the Facebook page.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the over-complicated terms go, but "Kanohi" and "Toa" are such iconic names, I'd be kinda sad if they didn't use them anymore.

There's absolutely no reason to assume that the story won't use terms like Toa or Kanohi just because we haven't seen them yet. Don't forget that the word Toa didn't appear in any set names whatsoever until 2004, and that the word Matoran NEVER appeared in the name of a set. Even a lot of promotional material often used general terms like mask in place of specific in-universe jargon like Kanohi.

With that said, we have not yet been officially told anything about set names, so even if the rumored/leaked names are in fact official (which is pretty likely) we shouldn't be talking about them on this site...

• Upvote 5

One of the things that annoys me is that every little detail is turned into a possible "it's this or it's going to be that"-theory.

The whole "Lewa Master of Jungle" doesn't necessarily mean that Lewa gets an element switch. Anyone who still remembers the original canisters and promo videos, knows that Lewa was a true master of the jungle. We saw him jumping from tree to tree, swinging on vines, etc. As a child I never even knew he was a Toa of Air.

The same goes for the "they'll probably get rid of Toa, Kanohi, Matoran..."-thing. It's based mostly on promotional stuff. Like they never said "Mask of ..." in the past ? I remember most promotional videos never even mentioned the word Kanohi. , the commercials never actively mentioned the word "Kanohi" or even "Ignika", when the Mahri - Phantoka - Mistika - videos were released. In 90% of the cases, they used the phrase "Mask of Life". So the fact that Lego uses "Mask of Creation" ( something they've been doing in the past as well ? ) doesn't indicate that they'll drop the word Kanohi. Neither does the catch-phrase "Master of". It's most likely just a promotional thing. A Toa is a master of his environment, and Lewas environment was a jungle.

In the past, many promotional names and phrases were used, most of them never became cannon anyway. There is such a thing as reading in too much, and with these kind of promotional things, you just have to be patient about it, without panicking.

-Iben

• Upvote 4

pVcwLHX.png

"Unity, Duty, Destiny."

I think the new mask connection is pretty cool. It's a little disappointing that it probably won't be completely compatible with the old heads but what's done is done. I'm interested if there's a specific reason why they made it so that the masks can flip up to reveal the faces.

My only worry about this though is how they'll work. I feel like they won't be very use-able for anything except masks (sometimes masks can be used for armor) and that the little pegs that attach it to the head will wear out and make it unusable. I don't know if it'll work like that but I hope they won't wear out easily (Knowing Lego's quality it hopefully won't).

I'm interested in how the heads will work. I'd like them to not be completely transparent and have a brain stalk or something, but it seems Lego is pretty into the whole transparent heads thing.

The mask video looks fairly preliminary, I don't see why they couldn't change the connection before release. I really hope Lego aren't as stupid as to keep that flip up concept, because it is really stupid.

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

Toa is synonymous with Bionicle. If you ask anyone who has heard of Bionicle, they'll mention the terms Toa and Makuta. Even those who have little knowledge of it. 

So I really doubt they'd get rid of iconic terms. They might be avoiding the use of them in the press release information and newer sets to make sure new audiences won't be confused by the terms from the get-go. 

Again, they never used the term Toa on packaging for the first 3 years.

The mask video looks fairly preliminary, I don't see why they couldn't change the connection before release. I really hope Lego aren't as stupid as to keep that flip up concept, because it is really stupid.

I don't see how this is "stupid".

Why are people so against this new connection? I don't get it. The masks aren't that flimsy on Knights Kingdom II, so why would they be here?

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg