OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Just got a response back from Greg about all of this. Link

ToaOfVirtues wrote:

So excited! This place might get a bit chaotic, so brace yourself.

So, are you on the story team? I really hope so.

If so, are you allowed to tell us more about the story than what we already know? I can understand if not.

I'm really looking forward to these coming years! Do what you do best!

I was allowed to read over the story bible and provide some input on it, but that has been the extent of my role so far. I did not have a hand in creating the story beyond that.

Edited by TuragaOfVirtues
  • Upvote 2

keetkiril.gifqSvBogp.jpgkeetkiril.gif

I think the new mask connection is pretty cool. It's a little disappointing that it probably won't be completely compatible with the old heads but what's done is done. I'm interested if there's a specific reason why they made it so that the masks can flip up to reveal the faces.

My only worry about this though is how they'll work. I feel like they won't be very use-able for anything except masks (sometimes masks can be used for armor) and that the little pegs that attach it to the head will wear out and make it unusable. I don't know if it'll work like that but I hope they won't wear out easily (Knowing Lego's quality it hopefully won't).

I'm interested in how the heads will work. I'd like them to not be completely transparent and have a brain stalk or something, but it seems Lego is pretty into the whole transparent heads thing.

The mask video looks fairly preliminary, I don't see why they couldn't change the connection before release. I really hope Lego aren't as stupid as to keep that flip up concept, because it is really stupid.

You say it's stupid... before even seeing how it works at all? I'm reserving judgment, but if the masks attach like I think (with the "arms" snapping onto standard Technic connections like those on the sides of the Brain Attack or Glatorian heads), it should be quite versatile and will allow for an amazing-looking head design.

Anyway, this mask video is undoubtedly the least preliminary thing we've seen. I doubt something which would involve as much design work as an unprecedented connection would be scrapped at this stage of the game!

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

The mask video looks fairly preliminary, I don't see why they couldn't change the connection before release. I really hope Lego aren't as stupid as to keep that flip up concept, because it is really stupid.

I have no idea why you think LEGO would show a video so preliminary they didn't even have the proper mask connection to the public

I'm still not sure how this new connection would be more "versatile" than the previous connection, considering if I've got this right it actually significantly decreases the number of pieces it could attach to, and most that would attach to it would swing freely on.

Edited by Lucina
  • Upvote 2

The thirst for Bionicle is real.

Honestly, you guys are fighting over a small detail we noticed on a CGI video... Just wait it out, patience is a virtue. There is still mysteries from Gen1 that are unresolved and still need numbers to pressure GregF into revealing. :P

• Upvote 1

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

The thirst for Bionicle is real.

Honestly, you guys are fighting over a small detail we noticed on a CGI video... Just wait it out, patience is a virtue. There is still mysteries from Gen1 that are unresolved and still need numbers to pressure GregF into revealing. :P

Greg can't reveal any secrets from Gen1 because the secrets were mostly things he made up on the fly with no idea where he was taking them, as is his writing technique. Nobody's prying secrets out of him, just forcing him to elaborate on every last detail of the Bionicle universe.

Edited by Lucina
  • Upvote 2

They're probably dropping some of the complicated terms. Lego might even have dropped the "Kanohi ... , Mask of ..." thing, judging by the Facebook page.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the over-complicated terms go, but "Kanohi" and "Toa" are such iconic names, I'd be kinda sad if they didn't use them anymore.

There's absolutely no reason to assume that the story won't use terms like Toa or Kanohi just because we haven't seen them yet. Don't forget that the word Toa didn't appear in any set names whatsoever until 2004, and that the word Matoran NEVER appeared in the name of a set. Even a lot of promotional material often used general terms like mask in place of specific in-universe jargon like Kanohi.

With that said, we have not yet been officially told anything about set names, so even if the rumored/leaked names are in fact official (which is pretty likely) we shouldn't be talking about them on this site...

All I said was that I would be sad to see those terms go. I wasn't making any assumptions.

• Upvote 1

Hail Denmark

To be honest, that new connection is lovely to me. The flipping up does make it feel like a true mask.

Also, I am perfectly fine with that newly sized logo. Even though it may seem a bit more kid like than the old logo, it still is snazzy.

(Also, the first bit of BIONICLE was appealing to kids, or why would we have joined in it and loved the old series so much when quite a few of us joined when we were overall of the younger ages marked on the canisters? Bright colours also appeal to younger audiences, and it was only Metru and on that used a bunch of darker versions of the original bright colours.)

If it is more friendly to kids than the latter years, I will be happy, because then it will be very remeniscient of the first few years of BIONICLE that brought in young kids in droves and hordes. (Although I still do not want a reboot)

Online presences (main ones, at least):

DeviantART: Heontris

YouTube: Heontris

Anything else with the name Heontris is also me. As far as I know.

"Don't be a night owl, it gets boring after the first 6 hours." - Me right now

I've been away since BIONICLE ended (though I did read the serials while it was somewhat going) and I have always wondered "if" it would ever return. Now that it has and it will resume, it's all very surreal to me since it's been like...almost 4 years? (March 2010, right?)

Seeing the wondereful new designs (well so far, I know more is yet to show) so far is looking so nice. It feels so surreal too but I cannot wait to see what this new/continued story will reveal on Spherus Magna! However, I hope we get some sort of story updates on the serials too (unlikely?). They're all amazing stories and provide so much in depth!

I'm ready for 2015 XD.

• Upvote 1

For the Team! - Rin Matsuoka

tumblr_nc7x2n2uJ61so9j7zo1_500.png

I've been away since BIONICLE ended (though I did read the serials while it was somewhat going) and I have always wondered "if" it would ever return. Now that it has and it will resume, it's all very surreal to me since it's been like...almost 4 years? (March 2010, right?)

Seeing the wondereful new designs (well so far, I know more is yet to show) so far is looking so nice. It feels so surreal too but I cannot wait to see what this new/continued story will reveal on Spherus Magna! However, I hope we get some sort of story updates on the serials too (unlikely?). They're all amazing stories and provide so much in depth!

I'm ready for 2015 XD.

I really want updates on the serials, but I'd say they're unlikely. The story will also likely be a reboot rather than a continuation.

• Upvote 1

They're probably dropping some of the complicated terms. Lego might even have dropped the "Kanohi ... , Mask of ..." thing, judging by the Facebook page.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the over-complicated terms go, but "Kanohi" and "Toa" are such iconic names, I'd be kinda sad if they didn't use them anymore.

There's absolutely no reason to assume that the story won't use terms like Toa or Kanohi just because we haven't seen them yet. Don't forget that the word Toa didn't appear in any set names whatsoever until 2004, and that the word Matoran NEVER appeared in the name of a set. Even a lot of promotional material often used general terms like mask in place of specific in-universe jargon like Kanohi.

Is it just me or was the word 'Kanohi' more or less absent from later years?

It just occurred to me that the new heads, whatever they are can still be compatible with old masks. There could be a hole around the mouth area to put in old masks.

Another idea is that there will be a large vertical bump down the face of the new head because of the shape of the inside of the Mask of Creation. Just a thought.

I'm pretty excited about a new writer taking over. At this point in life, I feel like I need a change in scenery from the old one (not that I had a problem with Mr. Farshtey's). Hopefully it keeps to the more all-ages style of writing we've had since 2004.

Also, I think people who are afraid the old terms like Toa and Kanohi will be dropped are overthinking things. I don't recall such in-universe words ever appearing in promo material outside of the films, books, and certain card game manuals, so I'm not worried at all.

In any case, I'm keeping my fingers crossed this at least won't be a full-on reboot and that there's some amount of continuity.

Also, the Turaga thing is sounding reeeeeeeally tempting right now!

• Upvote 1

Whatever the head is, I hope that it will be easily compatible with other pieces. If we ever want to use these masks as armor/weapons/etc. we will have to use the head piece with it.

I agree, I have seen Masks and heads used as everything from heads, shoulders, knees and toes. (Seriously, I have.)

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

Also, to all the people complaining about the new logo: have you considered that they made the letters thicker because they wanted the logo to be bolder and more noticeable? Because small changes do have an effect like that.

If you look at the new logo on the facebook page and such it is very easy to see that it is just as detailed and gritty as ever. It looks in no way "junior-ized".

• Upvote 2

Also, to all the people complaining about the new logo: have you considered that they made the letters thicker because they wanted the logo to be bolder and more noticeable? Because small changes do have an effect like that.

If you look at the new logo on the facebook page and such it is very easy to see that it is just as detailed and gritty as ever. It looks in no way "junior-ized".

I agree, it's not like we're going to see a biomechanical version of the Duplo Bunny anytime soon. 

I'm glad that it changed. Could anyone here imagine Lego using the '01 logo for the entire series? I couldn't, because it would be out of context in very many places. 

• Upvote 1

bZpOwEr

I hope that there are more armor plate variety than Hero Factory. Like seriously, every HF set has the exact same pieces in different colors. It's seriously very boring. Bionicle had a huge variety of shapes that made each figure have a unique texture to it. Look at the Barraki, they all have different styles of armor, but I feel like everything since Hero Factory and Chima have been using this piece for every limb.

4632637.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Upvote 3

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

What does everyone think of the actual head design?

So we have the knight's kingdom connector mask, but will the head be just a little print of a robotic face on a plastic piece or what?

I'm seriously hoping for an eyepiece, preferably in many colors like the mata.

kalija.png

all this is temporary.

Follow me on Twitter! @sean52711

I'll follow back.

So we have the knight's kingdom connector mask, but will the head be just a little print of a robotic face on a plastic piece or what?

I'm looking forward to an eyepiece as well, but, if they make a printed face design, it should not be too complicated. I don't want IFB mini-movie styled eyes :S

"Onua gazes upon the Earth and sees riches. It is our Duty to dig, and our Destiny to find them"

- Aiyetoro

I'm looking forward to an eyepiece as well, but, if they make a printed face design, it should not be too complicated. I don't want IFB mini-movie styled eyes :S

The constraction sets with printed face designs (knights kingdom) seems outdated. I'm definitely expecting something a bit more... full.

kalija.png

all this is temporary.

Follow me on Twitter! @sean52711

I'll follow back.

Is it just me or was the word 'Kanohi' more or less absent from later years?

I think it was mentioned less and less over time. Masks didn't have as much of an impact during the last legs. Other than the Ignika.

• Upvote 2

The constraction sets with printed face designs (knights kingdom) seems outdated. I'm definitely expecting something a bit more... full.

Who didn't love the printed faces of the good old Knights?

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

I agree, it's not like we're going to see a biomechanical version of the Duplo Bunny anytime soon. 

I'm glad that it changed. Could anyone here imagine Lego using the '01 logo for the entire series? I couldn't, because it would be out of context in very many places. 

Note to self: MOC biomechanical Duplo bunny.

• Upvote 6

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I'm still confused as to reboot v.s. continuation. At this point there's enough evidence to support both but it's frustrating not knowing which one. It's important and I feel we ought to be able to know at least what kind of story we're getting. It's pretty darn important to the fans.  :(

Greg posted this on the LMB https://community.lego.com/t5/LEGO-General/Chat-with-Greg-Farshtey/m-p/11192051/highlight/true#M252201

So, there's probably going to be a confirmation of one or the other at comic con!

Follow the light...

The Hype Train will take you to it

Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JTHStudio

Also, watch my new BIONICLE Short: "How BIONICLE Really Came Back" http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15938-how-bionicle-really-came-back-a-brickfilm/

Note to self: MOC biomechanical Duplo bunny.

PM when you finish it. I'm intrigued to see how it comes out.

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

I hope that there are more armor plate variety than Hero Factory. Like seriously, every HF set has the exact same pieces in different colors. It's seriously very boring. Bionicle had a huge variety of shapes that made each figure have a unique texture to it. Look at the Barraki, they all have different styles of armor, but I feel like everything since Hero Factory and Chima have been using this piece for every limb.

4632637.jpg

I agree. Since this is only the first wave it's expected that won't shower it with new parts for everything but I expect as time goes on there will be more parts that look more "Bionicley". HF managed to make cool and original sets using just this piece and add ons but I think it's time to explore more designs for ball clip armor.

This as well. Printed faces do have more character in them, but that's kind of what the masks do for characters in Bionicle already. Plus they're flat and have no dimension, which doesn't really look great.

Yeah, I definitely would want a colored eye piece. The completely transparent heads made it feel like they didn't have real mass/value up there. The colored eyes are supreme.

And as I mentioned before, I think it would be cool if the faces also had a mouth hole to attach older masks. I can see Lego deciding not to do this, but I hope they do.

I'm still confused as to reboot v.s. continuation. At this point there's enough evidence to support both but it's frustrating not knowing which one. It's important and I feel we ought to be able to know at least what kind of story we're getting. It's pretty darn important to the fans.  :(

Greg posted this on the LMB https://community.lego.com/t5/LEGO-General/Chat-with-Greg-Farshtey/m-p/11192051/highlight/true#M252201

So, there's probably going to be a confirmation of one or the other at comic con!

After watching the latest TTV episode, I can see why we haven't gotten a confirmation. They're building up our excitement and making sure out hype/conversations hold out till January. I can see Lego making a clarification like that at Comic Con, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

http://cache.lego.com/media/bricks/5/2/4632637.jpg

I have mixed feelings about introducing new armor. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the idea of additional armor pieces like this or this. And I'm sure there are more possibilities for cool armor that we HAVEN'T seen. But what I want to avoid is what BIONICLE had a lot of, especially in the later years: introducing parts with specialized motifs and textures just to give new sets a fresh look rather than to create new building opportunities.

One of the great things about the smoother look so many CCBS parts have is that they help tie a model together. A Toa-sized model that uses Toa Inika thigh shells for its arms and Piraka thigh shells for its legs can often look awkward, like you just ran out of the parts you needed and had to make substitutions. But with the CCBS, since all the basic parts have more or less the same texture, you can use shells of any size or shape on any part of the model and they'll still generally feel like they belong together.

Also, the less specific designs can help prevent the issue in which certain parts feel specific to a certain team or a certain species or a certain place. I eventually learned to love the Toa Mahri, but I won't deny that it felt weird to me at first that two of them used Piraka torsos, a part that had not been designed for Toa! The look of this piece, with its lack of a solid upper body, was considerably unlike previous Toa torsos. I guess this is a bit of a subjective concern since I'm sure some people were not bothered at all by this kind of mixing and matching of parts, but as an artist I had always been keen on establishing a consistent visual language to identify certain teams and species, and using parts interchangeably between teams and species threw a bit of a wrench into that way of thinking. However, if all sets share a similar visual language, and you differentiate between teams and species with their actual builds rather than their textures and motifs, then using the same basic parts palette across the board is not so problematic.

Yay! I was hoping Greg would write the novels, but I wonder who'll write them (assuming it's someone dedicated to doing so in the story team and not the story team in general). I'd prefer if only one or two people wrote the novels, or at least have the people working very closely.

Edited by Toa of Gallifrey

Based on what Lego's been doing recently, I think that we can all anticipate a television show to accompany the books. 

I honestly wouldn't want them to be directly connected though. The TV show is likely going to be pretty kiddish. Plus the details it includes are more restricted. I'd like the books to show the more serious/descriptive part of Bionicle 2015 and be more intimate with the plot. TV shows again are limited and cannot delve into the smaller parts of the plot.

Based on what Lego's been doing recently, I think that we can all anticipate a television show to accompany the books. 

I honestly wouldn't want them to be directly connected though. The TV show is likely going to be pretty kiddish. Plus the details it includes are more restricted. I'd like the books to show the more serious/descriptive part of Bionicle 2015 and be more intimate with the plot. TV shows again are limited and cannot delve into the smaller parts of the plot.

I agree completely, however it's also possible the the books will be kiddish as well, depending on who LEGO hires to write it and what the author's style is. 

bZpOwEr