OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Soon, my days of playing games on the site will return.

I hope it will be better than last time.

While they were fun, you do NOT want to be playin' your flash games at the speed of Dial-up.

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 1

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

While they were fun, you do NOT want to be playin' your flash games at the speed of Dial-up.

The Unity games were pretty cool too, and of course my computer didn't have Unity. 

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

The dial-up speeds were problematic. But at the same time, many of the games were designed with slow internet speeds in mind. Case in point was the Mata Nui Online Game—playing it in this day and age makes certain parts like the Kahu-riding segment insanely difficult, since faster internet speeds make the enemies move far faster than they were ever intended to.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

The dial-up speeds were problematic. But at the same time, many of the games were designed with slow internet speeds in mind. Case in point was the Mata Nui Online Game—playing it in this day and age makes certain parts like the Kahu-riding segment insanely difficult, since faster internet speeds make the enemies move far faster than they were ever intended to.

I had the opposite problem when I was younger- our family had very fast internet when I first played it. I actually quit playing the MNOG when I got to the Kahu part part for about six years. Not only was it my first ever time playing a game with fighting besides Pokemon, but I had not idea what to really do. I never got past the second part above the trees when I was younger. I beat the MNOG for the first time about two years ago. The music of that minigame was epic, though.

I HATE SCORPIOS

I actually find it fitting... I need to put my thoughts back in order.  I've seen the new Mask of Creation with the mouth closed and with the mouth open.  It seems fitting that the one on the new Bionicle.org has its mouth closed.  It looks like its just waiting until Friday, so it can say something.

Edit: and Greg confirms he has no knowledge of Bionicle comics next year.

W

Edited by Willess12

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

Faster internet speeds have nothing to do with the playback speed, as the game pre-loads the file before playing it. Faster grahical rendering speeds on modern hardware might make it run faster than before, depending on if your computer could hit the target framerate.

Edited by JrMasterModelBuilder

Are signatures still a thing?

Oh no, you reminded me of the days when I'm trying to play Inika Island Assault. The long loading screens, the slow frame rates and the chaos!

Faster internet speeds have nothing to do with the playback speed, as the game pre-loads the file before playing it. Faster grahical rendering speeds on modern hardware might make it run faster than before, depending on if your computer could hit the target framerate.

I don't know, all I can remember is that my Intel Pentium II processor would scream at me when I loaded it.

• Upvote 2

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

FTR I've never had trouble playing Kahu, even on a i7 with 8 GB. 

I'm playing the 2006 download version, though, so yeah. :shrugs:

The 2006 version of MNOG is 99% the same as the one from 2001 and the Kahu game is not one of the differences. I can play it fine, too, but fact is all the old Flash games and animations run faster than they were supposed to on modern hardware. It's alright for most of them but really painful for the 2003 animations. Reducing your processor clock speed helps a great deal but the 2003 animations still run too fast for me even on 45% of normal clock speed (0,78 Ghz instead of 1,7 GHz - that's the slowest I can seem to get Windows to run without third-party tools). For example, the music plays on for a few seconds at the end of the third episode when I think it should end before Makuta appears laughing (though I may be wrong about that actually, it just seemed logical that way to me) - also, some of the scenes of a Bohrok Kal defeating himself are hilariously fast as well as the Toa Nuva walking. At full clock speed, the music overlaps all over the place in the second episode.

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

How big do you reckon the figures are? Like I noticed that HF figures were a lot shorter than most of the canister Bionicles. I hope that they actually look like Bionicles, and not Hero Factory sets.

We can't talk specifics, but I'd bet that they're pretty large, though not exactly titans. The possible smaller sets would probably be about half size, though maybe a little taller. 

And I wouldn't worry about them looking like HF sets. This is a Bionicle line, and I can bet that Lego is careful with how they present their products. Besides, HF had a slightly different style.

• Upvote 3

I just played inika assault again for the first time in years, and it is just as ridiculously hard as I remembered it. 

Anyways, what set are you guys going to pick up first?

In the time before time, the Great Spirit descended from the heavens, carrying with him the ones called the Matoran, to this island paradise. We were separate and without purpose, so the great spirit blessed us with the Three Virtues: Unity, Duty and Destiny. We embraced these gifts and in gratitude named our home Mata Nui, after the great spirit himself.

I really liked the Bionicle canisters, especially the Toa Inika and Visorak ones, but they really do take up a lot of room. I'd really love for the new sets to have boxes, like the ones used for the older Hero Factory villains and Lego Racers sets. It'd be an enviromentally friendly move which makes the sets somewhat more affordable.

How big do you reckon the figures are? Like I noticed that HF figures were a lot shorter than most of the canister Bionicles. I hope that they actually look like Bionicles, and not Hero Factory sets.

Actually, there's not a huge discrepancy in height between BIONICLE and Hero Factory sets. For instance, the 2012 version of Natalie Breez, a $13 set, is 24.5 modules tall, about the same height as a Toa Metru set from 2004, and the 2013 version of Breez, a $10 set is about 23 modules tall, around the same height of a Toa Nuva set from 2002. The sets below the $20 price point have generally not grown to the inflated 28-module height of the Toa Inika and similar post-2005 canister sets, but I generally consider that a good thing. After all, the earlier, smaller canister sets usually had better proportions anyway. And spending less money on making the sets taller means that more money can be spent on giving them creative weapons and equipment.

• Upvote 5

I really hope canisters return- they provided a solid, permanent place to display/store your sets and could be used for lots of things. I often bring a Bohrok canister with a Matoran or Bohrok inside and a Hordika canister with my self-moc inside when I go on vacation. You can't do that with a Hero Factory foil bag. In my opinion, canisters were one of the defining traits of Bionicle.

Also, there is less chance of someone throwing the canister away than a box. But boxes are more environmentally friendly.

Meh, I'll let others argue about it.

Edited by RahkshiToa88

I HATE SCORPIOS

I really hope canisters return- they provided a solid, permanent place to display/store your sets and could be used for lots of things. I often bring a Bohrok canister with a Matoran or Bohrok inside and a Hordika canister with my self-moc inside when I go on vacation. You can't do that with a Hero Factory foil bag. In my opinion, canisters were one of the defining traits of Bionicle.

Also, there is less chance of someone throwing the canister away than a box. But boxes are more environmentally friendly.

Meh, I'll let others argue about it.

Why can't you do that with a foil pouch? They're plenty sturdy. The only real disadvantage of the foil bags from my personal experience is that they're not stackable — otherwise, they're much more convenient for storage than canisters since they can collapse to the size of their contents instead of having the same rigid size and shape even when empty or half-empty. A cardboard box can be flattened out, but once you do so it's pretty much useless for storage. Not so with the pouches, which can be reused over and over again no matter how many times you empty them and flatten them out.

Personally, I think canisters had their day in the sun. Today there are a number of factors like their carbon footprint on the production end of things that makes them seem a lot less desirable. I wouldn't entirely mind the foil pouches going away, but whatever type of packaging replaces them will have a lot to live up to. If it turns out it's some type of box or canister that is not collapsible, that's already a major point against it, because I have too many bulky canisters taking up space in my room already and don't need to be adding to that.

The main thing I use my BIONICLE canisters for anymore, besides storing the sets that they came with, is keeping neckties from getting wrinkled when I go on vacation. But since most of them are much bigger than a rolled-up necktie it's not the most efficient solution to that problem.