OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

I've noticed that another distributor on amazon is selling the summer sets, pretty sure we'll be seeing them on store shelves outside of lego shops very soon. 

UK or U.S.?

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

So I was fooling around while disassembling my Onua Combiner into him and the protectors and attempted to duplicate the mask holder, and DANG that thing is awful, the masks are so loose on it it's not even funny. I found that even a simple G1 hand piece works amazingly for holding the masks in any orientation, how do you guys have your golden masks set up, if not just lying around? I'm going to have to make 7 setups for the golden masks, plus 4 for the half trans golden masks, then one for the hero pack, one for an extra Ekimu mask if I get the activity book, maybe my NYCC tahu mask if I ever open that, maybe an extra empty one for the Gali mask I'll never own and gosh that's adding up to a lot of masks heads.

the mask holder works really well w/ kopaka's mask.  Lewa's......  not so much

• Upvote 1

:m_p:  :i:  :s:  :h:  Kopaka.png  :i:  :s:  :s:  :e:  :l:

"INTJ PROUD;" 80788-81311-MI

After half a day of work I managed to put together the Mask maker + Skull Grinder + Skull Scorpio combiner

I was never a very good moccer, but surely I was able to put together sets just by looking at photos... I'm happy I still retain some of that ability

Thanks for sharing! I wonder if Skull Grinder will take the Mask of Creation from Ekimu, wear it, and become that combiner form. The MoCr looks pretty freaky with red eyes, on such an evil figure.

IetTsFQ.png

After half a day of work I managed to put together the Mask maker + Skull Grinder + Skull Scorpio combiner

I was never a very good moccer, but surely I was able to put together sets just by looking at photos... I'm happy I still retain some of that ability

Thanks for sharing! I wonder if Skull Grinder will take the Mask of Creation from Ekimu, wear it, and become that combiner form. The MoCr looks pretty freaky with red eyes, on such an evil figure.

This looks so awesome. I am curious if the combiners will be canon. I hope they are. Kaita-esque skull villains would be pretty sweet.

I keep calling the local Lego stores and they still don't have them in as of today. Hoping they get here soon. The anticipation is killing me. I want these sets soooo bad. Skeleton styled bionicle sets just might become some of my favorites reaaaalllllll quick.

• Upvote 1

:y::m_o::l::m_o:

Since summer sets are about to (or already are) trickle into stores, have retailers been putting the old ones on sale anywhere?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I want to take a moment to thank all the contributors in this topic who have provided some excellent quality photography of the sets. You are the real heroes.

Now give them all an OBZPC title or proto boost.

Edited by Liuth
  • Upvote 1

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Just looked at the mini comics and noticed that this new wave parallels to the Bohrok-Kal saga:the toa have emerged victorious with newfound power face a new, unknown, more powerful enemy who work against them by stealing their direct source of power

• Upvote 4

"It's all a trick, you see. They want me to pretend to betray them. They want you to concentrate your forces here against an attack that won't come. But I decided: Why pretend to betray them when actually doing it would be so much more fun?"
— Vezon to Tridax, Destiny War

Just looked at the mini comics and noticed that this new wave parallels to the Bohrok-Kal saga:the toa have emerged victorious with newfound power face a new, unknown, more powerful enemy who work against them by stealing their direct source of power

So… From this I hope there could still be a shot at an Exo-Toa set.

cringe

Not this year, but maybe in the future.

The biggest obstacle to a modern-day Exo-Toa set is of course how wildly the new Toa's proportions vary. Even the original Exo-Toa required you to rebuild Onua and Pohatu if you wanted them to fit, but now with Onua's shoulders being about three times as wide as any of the other Toa's shoulders, there'd be an even greater challenge.

The Toa still do have some consistency in their proportions, specifically in that the distance from the base of their torso to the top of their head is pretty much the same for all six. That, at least, gives you a starting point for figuring out how a G2 Exo-Toa would be proportioned.

• Upvote 2

The biggest obstacle to a modern-day Exo-Toa set is of course how wildly the new Toa's proportions vary. Even the original Exo-Toa required you to rebuild Onua and Pohatu if you wanted them to fit, but now with Onua's shoulders being about three times as wide as any of the other Toa's shoulders, there'd be an even greater challenge.

The Toa still do have some consistency in their proportions, specifically in that the distance from the base of their torso to the top of their head is pretty much the same for all six. That, at least, gives you a starting point for figuring out how a G2 Exo-Toa would be proportioned.

what if the new Exo-Toa had armor specifically designed to encase around any of the figures? While it is impractical, I could see something bulky (maybe hulkbuster iron man-esque?) that holds the Toa in and wraps around them working well. It would basically be like a suit of armor that innovates the ball and socket technology with technic-like plate pieces. Edited by BlatantlyHeroic

Given how much larger the new Toa are, a G2 Exo-Toa would also make a very large set. It would definitely be the largest set in the new line so far.

As for different body types of the Toa, I presume an Exo-Toa would be most tailored toward Tahu, if anything.

~B~

what if the new Exo-Toa had armor specifically designed to encase around any of the figures? While it is impractical, I could see something bulky (maybe hulkbuster iron man-esque?) that holds the Toa in and wraps around them working well. It would basically be like a suit of armor that innovates the ball and socket technology with technic-like plate pieces.

Oh yeah, I have no doubt it could be done. It would just be difficult (I know from experience, having tried to MOC one).

Given how much larger the new Toa are, a G2 Exo-Toa would also make a very large set. It would definitely be the largest set in the new line so far.

As for different body types of the Toa, I presume an Exo-Toa would be most tailored toward Tahu, if anything.

~B~

Oh yeah. I have no doubt that a G2 Exo-Toa would be at least a $50 set (which makes sense, since the original one's price would already be $46 today due to inflation alone). I'm imagining a figure at least as tall as Witch Doctor or the new General Grievous, but obviously considerably bulkier. And it'd need some considerable suspension in the legs in order to support not only its own weight but the weight of a Toa inside.

As difficult as an Exo-Toa that could accommodate any of the six Toa would be, I still think it'd definitely be an ideal worth striving for. Toa-sized powered armor that can only fit certain Toa would end up seeming a bit halfhearted.

• Upvote 3

Oh yeah. I have no doubt that a G2 Exo-Toa would be at least a $50 set (which makes sense, since the original one's price would already be $46 today due to inflation alone). I'm imagining a figure at least as tall as Witch Doctor or the new General Grievous, but obviously considerably bulkier. And it'd need some considerable suspension in the legs in order to support not only its own weight but the weight of a Toa inside.

As difficult as an Exo-Toa that could accommodate any of the six Toa would be, I still think it'd definitely be an ideal worth striving for. Toa-sized powered armor that can only fit certain Toa would end up seeming a bit halfhearted.

I think it might be possible due to the fact that the CCBS ball joints are more flexible than the more rigid Technic of old, so you could have armor where the CCBS bones of the armor could wrap around the Toa's limbs. It might have to be disassembled and reconfigured in its shape for each Toa, but that could be marketed as a building asset rather than a problem - hours of building fun, right?

The problem with that sort of set is that you have to have a Toa for it to be any good, though. That already limits the marketing potential, because the only people you can market it to are people that have Toa sets already. And we've already established that, for the most part, brand loyalty is not really a cash cow with kids toylines like it is with other things. 

• Upvote 3

I think it might be possible due to the fact that the CCBS ball joints are more flexible than the more rigid Technic of old, so you could have armor where the CCBS bones of the armor could wrap around the Toa's limbs. It might have to be disassembled and reconfigured in its shape for each Toa, but that could be marketed as a building asset rather than a problem - hours of building fun, right?

The problem with that sort of set is that you have to have a Toa for it to be any good, though. That already limits the marketing potential, because the only people you can market it to are people that have Toa sets already. And we've already established that, for the most part, brand loyalty is not really a cash cow with kids toylines like it is with other things. 

Actually, the classic Exo-Toa effectively subverted the idea that it was only any good with a Toa, due to having a mode where it had its own head and was basically a figure of its own. There's no reason a new one couldn't do the same.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Not really news, but it's related to bionicle 2015.

Yesterday I went to the "torre da record" event in Milan, where they're building the tallest LEGO tower in the world.

People took turns (which lasted 10 minutes) and built sections of the tower.

Obviously, I decided to build the Mask of creation.

http://i.imgur.com/JcZuqpH.jpg?1

It's the best I could do in 10 minutes, but in the end I had one of the LEGO engineers help me.

(and yes, the bricks had to be put like that, for stability reasons)

I guess you can now say bionicle G2 is part of the world's tallest LEGO tower.

Pretty cool! Neat that you were able to get that done in such a short amount of time.

kudley_sig_2.png

Big time Kudley fan, forever T.U.F.F. Puppy fan!

I'm mostly known as FoxsDumbSeriesMaker on other websites, but here, I'm usually known as General Scales!

Actually, the classic Exo-Toa effectively subverted the idea that it was only any good with a Toa, due to having a mode where it had its own head and was basically a figure of its own. There's no reason a new one couldn't do the same.

It could be worth a try, but I got the impression that the CCBS wrap around idea would be more flappy and less likely to hold up as its own figure. 

CCBS typically holds up on its own, but for this thing we've got a hollow thing in the middle and a lot more weight since it needs to wrap around. Without a Technic structure in the middle, I think it would fall over. 

It could be worth a try, but I got the impression that the CCBS wrap around idea would be more flappy and less likely to hold up as its own figure. 

CCBS typically holds up on its own, but for this thing we've got a hollow thing in the middle and a lot more weight since it needs to wrap around. Without a Technic structure in the middle, I think it would fall over.

I doubt a new Exo-Toa would be primarily CCBS. Like any sort of vehicle set, I imagine it would use mostly Technic, maybe only using CCBS for limbs, if that. Technic panels would provide a lot of coverage as far as the "outer shell" is concerned, while allowing a much sturdier way to wrap around the figure. As for the Toa's limbs, they wouldn't have to be any more encased than on the classic set—just give them somewhere secure to attach and they'd be all set.

Someone should make an Exo-Toa MOC in the '2015' format.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I doubt a new Exo-Toa would be primarily CCBS. Like any sort of vehicle set, I imagine it would use mostly Technic, maybe only using CCBS for limbs, if that. Technic panels would provide a lot of coverage as far as the "outer shell" is concerned, while allowing a much sturdier way to wrap around the figure. As for the Toa's limbs, they wouldn't have to be any more encased than on the classic set—just give them somewhere secure to attach and they'd be all set.

I was just pointing out that CCBS could be a solution to the problem outlined having to do with the sizes of the new Toa being bigger or smaller, thinking on it, and coming up with problems that solution could raise. 

Got the Protector of Water today.  Nothing too special.  Basically what I expected.  But now I have a complete Protector collection.

Nothing special? I'd say that it fits the whole underwater theme perfectly. Not to mention the fact that it has an extremely interesting color scheme. (PoJ will always be my favorite though)

Got the Protector of Water today.  Nothing too special.  Basically what I expected.  But now I have a complete Protector collection.

Nothing special? I'd say that it fits the whole underwater theme perfectly. Not to mention the fact that it has an extremely interesting color scheme. (PoJ will always be my favorite though)

At least compared to the other Protectors, the build and the look doesn't interest me that much.  The lack of armor on the arms and the way the ducted fans are connected leaves the shoulders looking too thing and bare for my liking, and aside from those the set doesn't seem to offer anything that you couldn't get from the others (aside from the unique elements and colors).  Gali pulls off the water look far better, which may be why I don't see her corresponding Protector in as good a light.

OpAXNpl.jpg

At least compared to the other Protectors, the build and the look doesn't interest me that much.  The lack of armor on the arms and the way the ducted fans are connected leaves the shoulders looking too thing and bare for my liking, and aside from those the set doesn't seem to offer anything that you couldn't get from the others (aside from the unique elements and colors).  Gali pulls off the water look far better, which may be why I don't see her corresponding Protector in as good a light.

I think I have seen a custom of PoW with the weapon modified into a bow.

cringe

Eh... PoW is still my fave because she's so expressive. And personally, I think her look fits the water great. Of course she's very lightly armored, it's so she isn't weighed down, and I think the decision to make the turbines a radically different color that would clash with the rest of her was a brilliant move, since it makes it look like they're just something she's wearing, like floaties, and not an actual part of her body. And even aside from that... I just find her adorable. And I dunno, for some reason, that sort of thing is always really important to me when it comes to smaller sets. Different strokes  for different folks.

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

While the Protector of Water is far from my favorite as far as build and color scheme are concerned, I do really love the weapon in the set, and still consider Gali's "powered up" form with that weapon and the turbines to be the best of the six Toa.

Someone should make an Exo-Toa MOC in the '2015' format.

I do believe somebody had. If you look in one of the recent CCBS contest entries there was an Exo-Toa designed for Gen2. It looked quite good and while it did tower over the original shown in an additional pictures It was shown with each Toa using it with minor modifications I believe. So it is possible to make one and make it work...

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Psshhh, "color scheme". That's a very subjective term. Some might hate gold and green, others might like it. There's no such thing as a "poor color scheme", as that depends on what colors tickle your fancy, and what you as a person think looks good together. I rather like trans blue and trans light blue being used together, and I find yellow and blue to be a really good mixture. Color schemes that don't have any contrast are boring and plain to me, and it boggles my mind that so many people want that. Of course, that's just my opinion. ;)

Edited by BlatantlyHeroic
  • Upvote 1

Psshhh, "color scheme". That's a very subjective term. Some might hate gold and green, others might like it. There's no such thing as a "poor color scheme", as that depends on what colors tickle your fancy, and what you as a person think looks good together. I rather like trans blue and trans light blue being used together, and I find yellow and blue to be a really good mixture. Color schemes that don't have any contrast are boring and plain to me, and it boggles my mind that so many people want that. Of course, that's just my opinion. ;)

Generally when people complain about a bad color scheme, they're really complaining about how the colors are organized. Pretty much any colors can work together in one way or another. But how those colors are distributed throughout the model has a big impact on the look of the model.

Whether color scheme distribution is good or bad is still subjective, of course. There are times when you want colors to be chaotic. There are times when you want colors to be layered consistently across a whole model. There are times when you want certain colors to be concentrated in certain parts of the model. When these times are can be a subject of great dispute.

I think the Protector of Water's color scheme works all right, but it's definitely not my favorite color scheme of the Protectors. The hands are a different color than the feet, the lower arms are a different color than the lower legs, and the upper arms are a different color than the upper legs. It ends up feeling a bit chaotic compared to the other Protectors, and I don't particularly like that.

Now, two things that bother a lot of other people but don't really bother me are the Dark Azur being isolated to the mask and the use of multiple transparent colors. For me, Dark Azur is a close enough match to Tr. Light Blue as far as hue is concerned that the mask doesn't seem "lonely", and both are far enough from Tr. Blue that they can be identified as distinct colors.

Certainly, if I were designing the set, I'd probably have done it differently, but whether my way would have been an improvement is something even I'm not sure of. I've tried modding Protector of Water to have more consistent color blocking and color layering, but while my preferred way made more sense to me, something bothered me about it visually. I ended up changing the set back to how it was before.

Truthfully, my least favorite protector is the Protector of Earth. His weapons seem dainty compared to all of the other protectors, and having his blaster in his chest would be impractical during day to day life.

From favorite to least favorite:

1. Protector of Jungle

2. Protector of Stone

3. Protector of Water

4. Protector of Fire

5. Protector of Ice

6. Protector of Earth

OR

1. Protector of Jungle/Stone

2. Protector of Water

3. Protector of Ice/Fire

4. Protector of Earth

Edited by BlatantlyHeroic

Eh... PoW is still my fave because she's so expressive. And personally, I think her look fits the water great. Of course she's very lightly armored, it's so she isn't weighed down, and I think the decision to make the turbines a radically different color that would clash with the rest of her was a brilliant move, since it makes it look like they're just something she's wearing, like floaties, and not an actual part of her body. And even aside from that... I just find her adorable. And I dunno, for some reason, that sort of thing is always really important to me when it comes to smaller sets. Different strokes  for different folks.

You can do whatever you want, (because it hardly matters one way or the other) but I'm not sure if you saw that in one of the official descriptions on the website, the Protector of Water was confirmed to be male. Just can't tell if you're continuing to refer to the character as female through personal preference, or if you hadn't seen that. Either way is fine, I suppose.

Gali's description in the "Take Down the Lord of Skull Spiders!" poll says "... The Protector [of Water] brings his own abilities and weapons as well..."