OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Oh crud, are the books going to do what the 2006 story arc from gen 1 did? I also hate the names, they don't even sound Mesoamerican, they're more like the silly names a child would come up with.

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Nice to hear that the Protectors get names!  They're not especially outstanding or anything, but I think they'll grow on me.  And, from the various snippets from the book that people have mentioned, it seems like it will be less Tahu-centric than the animations, which is a definite plus.

• Upvote 1

sqtd1i.png

^               Often lurking, occasionally writing about sets on BS01.                     

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

Oh crud, are the books going to do what the 2006 story arc from gen 1 did? I also hate the names, they don't even sound Mesoamerican, they're more like the silly names a child would come up with.

Why would they even be supposed to sound Mesoamerican, anyway? It's not like there's any precedent that would lead us to expect that...

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

PoS: Nilkuu

PoJ: Vizuna

PoW: Kivodav (also a Dude)

PoI: Izotor

PoE: Korgot

PoF:Narmoto

For the record, how are these names any different- better or worse- than anything we got during the whole of G1? They literally don't sound any different to names original to 2004 and later, IMO. They'd make for great Voya Nui Matoran names, if anything.

- Heir

• Upvote 1

LfkQ2ln.png

Click the banner. You know you want to.

Shia Lebouf would tell you to just do it.

Well, it'll take some getting used to I guess, but I love that the Protectors actually have names! Nilkuu, Vizuna and Kidova sound fine but I'll have to work on accepting Izotor, Korgot and Narmoto.

Also, heard about Protector of Earth being the female... That would be really awesome. Also, that excerpt (fake or not) really reminded me of Tales of the Masks. That is not a bad thing at all.

Oh yeah, Blingzak... has got dat bling... I guess?

-NotS

• Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

To be fair, these names could pass as Metru Matoran names. Remember Vhisola, Ahkmou, Nuhrii, Tehutti, Ehrye, and Orkham? These definitely follow a similar naming style to those. After looking at my Protector sets and saying their names, I really like them. They seem to fit pretty well.

Korgot should be awesome. I hope she behaves similar to Toph, because Toph is awesome. 

Edited by BlatantlyHeroic
  • Upvote 2

I am so incredibly happy about the new Protector names! Those snippets from the book are pretty good too. Also, while watching a youtube video today, the new commercial for the Skull villains played as the advertisement. The hype is real!

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

They really don't sound any less random to me than the Glatorian, or a lot of the 2008 sets. Photok...Solek...Tanma...Radiak...Chirox...Strakk...

With their names being revealed months after the sets' release it's hard to associate them with the characters, but once the books come out I think the names will be easy to remember.

• Upvote 2

IetTsFQ.png

Oh yeah, Blingzak... has got dat bling... I guess?

-NotS

I'm surprised that he's not a girl. Otherwise, he kinda reminds of a rapper. :shrugs:

Yo its yo boi blingzak

No seriously though, that name is up there with Tiribomba

Wait it's Bingzak? Still eh

Still, I like how the novel is turning out. Looks like we get a really condensed, easy-to-follow story with the animations and website and a more in-depth story and setting in the book. I can dig that. 

Man, it's been a slow 2 months but we're starting to get the ball rolling. I think that story-wise, we definitely could have benefited from having that book from the get-go, but can't complain.

And when are the summer sets supposed to be coming out in NA? I bet around that time the website will finally update... and after that long wait we can revel in some more fun story.

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

Bing! Zak! 

Jewelry --> strange sounds. 

Or maybe it's Zak the LEGO maniac's grand return

So are the summer sets supposed to come out in August? Saw a pamphlet while browsing the forums. I can't wait to get Mask Maker vs Skull Grinder.

-NotS

I actually don't remember the release date being announced officially, but yeah, apparently August is when they're supposed to be released in the US.

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

I'm gonna repost this re: Earth Protector's gender.

The page featuring Earth Protector is nowhere to be found in any version of the Amazon preview.

The only, I mean only, source for this information is a screencap from someone's private photobucket account, and this screencap does not look like the other pages.
It does not show a page number or the rune-shaped header that is seen on ALL other preview pages.

Until a copy of this page is found that contains a page number, do not treat it like official information.

for reference:

imgur album featuring the preview pages: http://imgur.com/a/9qy9M#0

page featuring Earth Protector: http://s659.photobucket.com/user/Mechafire/media/Private/0cfb0551-4aec-49e2-986e-86fede5628e8_zpsgjhuxrgx.png.html

The resolution is much bigger and there is a lack of the unique graphics that every other page has. A few pages in the imgur album have the page numbers partially obscured, but they are still visible.

Plus, if this was really part of the preview pages then surely someone else would have screencapped the page in full, since a character being female would be something a lot of fans would take notice of.

This fandom is notorious for fake leaks...always check your sources before reporting on something.

• Upvote 2

I'm really happy that we FINALLY have names for the Protectors. Though I admit it will probably take some time for me to get used to calling the Protectors by those names. This reveal, along with the rest of the preview on Amazon, has made me even more excited for the upcoming book! Now I really want it, just to see what other info it will give us. 

As for the rumor about the Protector of Earth being female, I hope that it turns out to be true. As others have said, it would be great to see non-water based characters be female. Especially since the Amazon preview does confirm the Protector of Water to be male. In fact, I hope that more than one Protector is female. That would be really cool to see in the story. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

It's not a rumor. People got different previews, heck, some of the members from TTV got the Skull Grinder Confrontation and LoSS battle in their previews. I personally got Kopaka and his amazing shield combat. He's totally Captain America. Anyway, Korgot is a female, case closed. They most likely excluded the borders in order to make the words appear larger when viewed and to keep legal action away.

Edited by BlatantlyHeroic
  • Upvote 2

It's not a rumor. People got different previews, heck, some of the members from TTV got the Skull Grinder Confrontation and LoSS battle in their previews. I personally got Kopaka and his amazing shield combat. He's totally Captain America. Anyway, Korgot is a female, case closed. They most likely excluded the borders in order to make the words appear larger when viewed and to keep legal action away.

I don't even think it was that much of a deliberate choice. When I view the pages on my screen, at least, the whole page doesn't fit on my screen. If it's the same with their screen, then to screencap the entire page, they'd have to take multiple screencaps and stitch them together—a lot of work for nothing, considering it's the actual text of the page people will be interested in.

Regarding Bingzak's name, I can't help but wonder if they're named after someone. Unlike the Protectors, they're most likely a minor character, the perfect spot for a cameo. "Zak/Zach" is not an uncommon human name. "Bing" isn't either, and could be part of a longer name. And terrible-sounding blends of real-world names aren't new to Bionicle—remember Jerbraz and Tobduk?

Anyway, the more I see of these books the more I warm up to them. I'll be excited when they're finally released.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

So, any Brits here? Because There's 2015 sets coming your way very soon! I happened to chance in at my local Toymaster (Down Dorchester way if you're really desperate), and lo and behold, right there in the center isle of Lego was the new sets (with all the old ones on the floor - clearly they only put them out today).

I was skeptical at first of the new sets with their "dark and gritty" atmosphere, but in the actual presence of them, they're actually much more impressive than the Toa! I really enjoy their new gimmicks play features, and had a hard time choosing between them all, but naturally I got Ekimu VS Kulta (where did that name even come from?). But what makes me sad was that we only got 4 villans (5 if you count the Kulta-Scorpio combination model), where we could have had 6 for all Toa - just think of the play features they could have gotten! (Now, you could argue that Skulta grinder is the villan for Tahu, but then I'd say you're silly and ignore you).

So, any Brits here? Because There's 2015 sets coming your way very soon! I happened to chance in at my local Toymaster (Down Dorchester way if you're really desperate), and lo and behold, right there in the center isle of Lego was the new sets (with all the old ones on the floor - clearly they only put them out today).

I was skeptical at first of the new sets with their "dark and gritty" atmosphere, but in the actual presence of them, they're actually much more impressive than the Toa! I really enjoy their new gimmicks play features, and had a hard time choosing between them all, but naturally I got Ekimu VS Kulta (where did that name even come from?). But what makes me sad was that we only got 4 villans (5 if you count the Kulta-Scorpio combination model), where we could have had 6 for all Toa - just think of the play features they could have gotten! (Now, you could argue that Skulta grinder is the villan for Tahu, but then I'd say you're silly and ignore you).

You forgot LoSS. There are a total of six skull villains. Slicer, Basher, Warrior, Scorpio, Grinder, and then LoSS. Grinder fights everyone, and Ekimu travels with the Toa in the ancient city well before the final confrontation with Kulta. They paired them together so people couldn't just buy Ekimu and never pick up Skull Grinder. Smart business decision, I'm happy it happened because a lot of people who wouldn't have gotten Grinder seem to really like him now.

• Upvote 1

Just out of curiousity I checked amazon.de to see if they used the same preview as the US, then I checked .ca, and then I checked .co.uk, and then I got too lazy to check any other domains for amazon, but they all used the same preview, so I'm a bit more skeptical to the leak, but I'm staying hopeful.

In honor of the anniversary, I'm making a signature. Neat.

Well I am what you would call a Brit and I already have all the summer sets, they've been out for a couple on the official lego shop and amazon UK. 

And I already did a video on it but I'll say it again, I'm just happy the protectors got names, also I really like the name Izotor, it's got an ice and intelligence sound to it.

It's time to move on.

Just out of curiousity I checked amazon.de to see if they used the same preview as the US, then I checked .ca, and then I checked .co.uk, and then I got too lazy to check any other domains for amazon, but they all used the same preview, so I'm a bit more skeptical to the leak, but I'm staying hopeful.

The initial 6-page preview should be the same for everyone. But, if you log into amazon, you unlock random excerpts from the rest of the book. These are (probably?) unique to each person. Others have mentioned getting the fight against LOSS or something from the beginning of the summer story. I got some stuff with Pohatu arriving at the region of stone and Kopaka forgetting he has a scope on his face. That someone got an Onua and Korgot-focused preview is entirely believable. 

I can understand being cautious and everything, but sometimes it's unwarranted. There's nothing to indicate it's not a legitimate screencap, and Dina posted a complete page so that should really be that.

AXKP5KC.png

Well, just checked out all of the preview pages. Dang it. I kind of wish I hadn't. Huge spoiler alert - it covers the end of the book as well.

Still, a really good initial impression. The writing is extremely solid and the story is very fleshed out from the looks of it. I really felt like I was reading a Chronicles book... It's still very much a BIONICLE experience.

And yeah, there are lots of references to G1, with Kopaka making the "Master of Air" joke (laughed out loud at that) and Gali stating that saving Okoto is their "Duty and Destiny". 

Still, the book covers both winter and summer portions in 119 pages. I'm expecting a lot of it to turn out somewhat rushed, but hey, anything is better than what we currently have. Then again, Chronicles also did a year per book technically. And that might mean the second chapter book is an original story.

Oh, and interestingly enough they don't call Skull Grinder by name, at least not in these pages.

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

Random question: anyone know why TLG didn't use axle connections/stud pegs for the new masks?

I'm pretty sure it's mainly due to the fact that the majority (new fans/buyers) don't have those old Metru/Mata/etc. heads and want to emphisise the 'knocking-off-the-mask' function.

• Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Random question: anyone know why TLG didn't use axle connections/stud pegs for the new masks?

I'm pretty sure it's mainly due to the fact that the majority (new fans/buyers) don't have those old Metru/Mata/etc. heads and want to emphisise the 'knocking-off-the-mask' function.

Those are definitely two valid reasons, but I can think of others. Stud connections wouldn't let characters hold the mask with the CCBS fist element, and both studs and axles would require the new heads to have those same weird puckered lips the old ones had, whereas the new heads have a more neutral-looking expression.

• Upvote 5

Well, just checked out all of the preview pages. Dang it. I kind of wish I hadn't. Huge spoiler alert - it covers the end of the book as well.

That is why I'm not reading anything past the first six page preview listed on the front page of BZP. I don't want to know what happens in the book until I get it. :P

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Another nice feature of the new heads that I don't hear about much (or ever) is how the masks can just slide on. Just press the mask onto the general direction of the head and it'll fit into place...much nicer and real than applying a Metru-style mask.

I also prefer the concept of wearing the mask around the head, instead of in the mouth. The Metru heads always kind of weirded me out, because it seemed like they were biting onto the mask to hold it in place.

• Upvote 3

IetTsFQ.png

I like that the protectors finally have names. I was originally going to ignore the books altogether, as I'm not a kid anymore. I will get the first one for my collection, but I'll give it a try. There are some kids' books I really like to this day.

Edited by Spiffy247

A fish wielding vampire. That's Spiffy.