OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Oh, what you did with the legs is pretty cool. I'll try that if I ever get ahold of Scorpio. (for some reason I can't quote anyone on the desktop site, is this a bug? Anyone else experience this? I'm on internet explorer. )

Eh,  probably not gonna get the book. I have a feeling its just going to be really simply written and just standard children novel fare. Makes sense though given its target audience. I'll stick around for impressions to see if its better than I think. Is It just retelling the stories of the animations, but more in depth? I wonder if it will go into details that the animations haven't gotten to yet (like the skull grinder conflict?)

It covers the entire year, yes. People have gotten sample pages from Amazon from the beginning up to the end of the book. It does cover the entire summer story.

Edited by the ghost of isaac newton
  • Upvote 2

AXKP5KC.png

Can someone link the book? For my use and that of others?

Edit:

http://www.amazon.com/Island-Lost-Masks-LEGO-Bionicle/dp/0545873258

D'oh. 

Edited by Wazdakka
  • Upvote 1

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I have a friend that I met at Aikido who was a big fan of Bionicle back in Gen1, but doesn't like the new one because he (like many of the unwashed masses) says that the story is too basic. 

I plan on lending him my copy of the book once I get it to prove him wrong. 

If I get super lucky, I'll be able to get him to join the hive mind of BZPower. 

• Upvote 3

bZpOwEr

I have a friend that I met at Aikido who was a big fan of Bionicle back in Gen1, but doesn't like the new one because he (like many of the unwashed masses) says that the story is too basic. 

Unfortunately, if he hasn't read the old books recently he would probably consider the new books too basic regardless of their actual quality. With nostalgia goggles on, it's easy to forget that the classic Bionicle books were themselves chapter books for young readers. The classic books are still good, but they're not high literature by any means, and if you read a similar book expecting more depth and maturity than comes with the territory, you're bound to be disappointed.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Unfortunately, if he hasn't read the old books recently he would probably consider the new books too basic regardless of their actual quality. With nostalgia goggles on, it's easy to forget that the classic Bionicle books were themselves chapter books for young readers. The classic books are still good, but they're not high literature by any means, and if you read a similar book expecting more depth and maturity than comes with the territory, you're bound to be disappointed.

Hm, that is true. I haven't really considered how basic the book might be, but I do suppose that I'll have to wait until I read it myself to make that call.

He's a pretty rational guy, but nostalgia has the uncanny ability to corrupt even the most reasonable of people. 

• Upvote 4

bZpOwEr

I just got Skull Basher at a Toys R Us in Olympia. I would have gotten him at a WalMart, but all the Skull Bashers were gone when I got there.

ALL THE BASHERS ARE SOLD OUT WITHIN A HALF MONTH. THE BONKLER PRESENCE IS HIGH IN MY COUNTRY.

• Upvote 4

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

I have the entire 2015 wave and maaan is it solid. The Skull villains pull off a diverse yet unified aesthetic extremely well, I'd even say slightly better than the Barakii did. My only complaints come from Tahu's golden swords and Skull Basher's horns. Tahu's swords are a pain to position in a perfectly symmetrical way due to the plastic's flexibility and human error. No matter what you do, one sword is always going to be a little bit off, and to someone as detail oriented as me, that's a bother. I'd prefer to constantly have them in the same position they are in the animations without modding the set.. On the topic of Skull Basher and his horns, They seem a bit too big and I'm not a fan of the specific pieces used as his "horns" (Ben 10 tail pieces) in general. 

Edited by Tarvaxx
  • Upvote 3

I have the entire 2015 wave and maaan is it solid. The Skull villains pull off a diverse yet unified aesthetic extremely well, I'd even say slightly better than the Barakii did. My only complaints come from Tahu's golden swords and Skull Basher's horns. Tahu's swords are a pain to position in a perfectly symmetrical way due to the plastic's flexibility and human error. No matter what you do, one sword is always going to be a little bit off, and to someone as detail oriented as me, that's a bother. I'd prefer to constantly have them in the same position they are in the animations without modding the set.. On the topic of Skull Basher and his horns, They seem a bit too big and I'm not a fan of the specific pieces used as his "horns" (Ben 10 tail pieces) in general. 

But they're essential for making any of the ###### Ben 10 sets!

Edited by Bonkle
  • Upvote 2

I really wish Basher's horns had been trans bluish violet "spider legs" instead. The pieces used for Scorpio's legs, I mean. It would match up much better both as far as the colors and aesthetics go, and it wouldn't have that awful gap the Ben 10 tails do. Sigh...

• Upvote 5

AXKP5KC.png

I really wish Basher's horns had been trans bluish violet "spider legs" instead. The pieces used for Scorpio's legs, I mean. It would match up much better both as far as the colors and aesthetics go, and it wouldn't have that awful gap the Ben 10 tails do. Sigh...

True. The legs would give them a look that it's a decayed version of the horn, and the current one could be used for a "complete" Skull Basher MOC.

• Upvote 2

I got MMvsSG and Slicer yesterday, and then another MMvsSG as part of my prize for the Skull Week raffle from BS01. Talk about timing.  :P

Both sets are great, and while I'm disappointed in the size of Kulta's mask (being smaller than Onua's mask), I love the work they put into it. The Mask of Creation is probably the best mask ever made, chock full of delicious detailing with scripts and fine edges. It almost reminds me of the helmet worn by the Worker of Secrets in Infinity Blade 3

Slicer is a lot of fun because of that function. I don't even care about his mask because it fits him so well. It's creepy, and that's what it needs to be. The drained Mask of Jungle is also a very nice treat, as it combines two of my favorite things about action figures into one piece: color swirl and light piping.

The weapons are very nice in this wave. The hooks actually work, and are overall an interesting concept not seen in Bionicle before if I do recall. The swords look like expanded HF Brain Attack swords, and can be put side to side just like those swords. The axes are also very nice, but they wiggle around a bit too much when striking an opponent. I trust the quality of the plastic, though, it won't break anytime soon.

• Upvote 3

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

Both sets are great, and while I'm disappointed in the size of Kulta's mask (being smaller than Onua's mask), I love the work they put into it.

The small mask on Skull Grinder serves a pretty valuable purpose, actually. First, in being smaller than most masks, it's more like an actual skull (i.e. smaller than a complete face would normally be). Secondly (like on Onua), a smaller mask allows for something akin to "forced perspective", making the figure as a whole seem larger than he actually is. In fact, the sets this year use that trick to evoke the opposite effect as well—note that the Protector mask is actually one of the largest masks this year, giving the Protectors a more diminutive appearance despite being larger and more complex than most villager sets from the old theme.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Both sets are great, and while I'm disappointed in the size of Kulta's mask (being smaller than Onua's mask), I love the work they put into it.

The small mask on Skull Grinder serves a pretty valuable purpose, actually. First, in being smaller than most masks, it's more like an actual skull (i.e. smaller than a complete face would normally be). Secondly (like on Onua), a smaller mask allows for something akin to "forced perspective", making the figure as a whole seem larger than he actually is. In fact, the sets this year use that trick to evoke the opposite effect as well—note that the Protector mask is actually one of the largest masks this year, giving the Protectors a more diminutive appearance despite being larger and more complex than most villager sets from the old theme.

I understand that it's a supposed to be a skull, but it looked bigger in promotional art. Stuff like that happens from time to time, but I'm not jaded by it. I personally don't care how big it is, it's still a beautifully designed mask.

• Upvote 1

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

I personally prefer the smaller mask size. Seems more... mask like. When a mask gets too big it tends to be more aesthetically like a helmet and I don't like helmets. 

Edit: The "Skull Mask" and Onua's mask are the exact same size in height. Onua's has just a little bit more in width due to being modeled after the Pakari. 

Edit: I just now noticed that one villager is getting crushed to death, and the other is getting scorched, while the one on the top leaves the other two to die like a jerk. That's freaking dark. What. The Heck.

94c9ef0d0fe57efa4e865a0a0d7dece41c3ce539

Edited by Tarvaxx
  • Upvote 5

Edit: I just now noticed that one villager is getting crushed to death, and the other is getting scorched, while the one on the top leaves the other two to die like a jerk. That's freaking dark. What. The Heck.

Unity, amirite?

• Upvote 3

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Anyone else have a problem with skull slicers arms not having enough friction? They slide down a lot and I have to have the arms positioned in relatively neutral positions to keep it from happening easily. I know its not just me because I've switched out the gears and pins with other parts and theres still not much friction. I think its just a flaw in the design, maybe  having four arms is just too much weight.

Edited by hiddenderek
  • Upvote 2

Ugh, that forced perspective thing has always twisted my brain into a knot.

I personally prefer the smaller mask size. Seems more... mask like. When a mask gets too big it tends to be more aesthetically like a helmet and I don't like helmets. 

Edit: The "Skull Mask" and Onua's mask are the exact same size in height. Onua's has just a little bit more in width due to being modeled after the Pakari. 

Well, uhhh, that was dark.

• Upvote 2

Which has more sharp edges: 2006 or 2015?

2006 had some guys with maniacal grins and metal fences, but 2015 has guys being burnt and crushed for entertainment. :P

Actually the more I think about it, the worse it sounds XD.

Zombie spiders and creepy zombie warriors not withstanding?

• Upvote 3

2006 had some guys with maniacal grins and metal fences, but 2015 has guys being burnt and crushed for entertainment. :P

Are we also sure that Ekimu isn't a vampire? He's been asleep in a sarcophagus/coffin for many years... 

• Upvote 3

Yeah, that too.

Are we also sure that Ekimu isn't a vampire? He's been asleep in a sarcophagus/coffin for many years... 

I'm now imagining Ekimu biting Tahu's mask and draining it.:P

• Upvote 2

*ded*

49939992.jpg

....I'm so sorry, I just had to....

Edited by Toa Imrukii
  • Upvote 2

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

*ded*

49939992.jpg

....I'm so sorry, I just had to....

You're ded to me.

You're walking ded to me.

Okay, back on topic!

I wonder if Lewa is gonna die.... Nah he'll just use his old mask, that is f he still has it on him.

• Upvote 4

pure_muscle.png

Since when has Lewa been reliable with masks?

Eh, that was G1. This is G2 and those two chacters are totally the same not the same characters.  ;)

• Upvote 2

pure_muscle.png

I dug too deep on the internet looking for haters of Bionicle 2015. I- I went too far, and so many brain cells were brutally slaughtered at how pathetic their reasons were and what they said to people who defended it. I won't say any names, for fear of summoning them here, for I fear that my remaining brain cells will die, and I'm only just starting highschool.

So how is everyone enjoying the new sets?:P

• Upvote 1

And people thought Gen 2 Bionicle wouldn't be as dark as Gen 1 Bionicle. :P

I dug too deep on the internet looking for haters of Bionicle 2015. I- I went too far, and so many brain cells were brutally slaughtered at how pathetic their reasons were and what they said to people who defended it. I won't say any names, for fear of summoning them here, for I fear that my remaining brain cells will die, and I'm only just starting highschool.

So how is everyone enjoying the new sets? :P

I'm going to assume two of those places were Youtube and Facebook, right? I've seen people rage about Gen 2 on both those sites.

Anyways, I really like the majority of the new sets. Especially Lewa, Tahu, The Protectors of Earth and Ice, and Mask Maker vs. Skull Grinder. They only sets I'm missing are the Skull Warrior, Skull Scorpio, and Skull Slicer sets, though I plan to hopefully correct that soon. :)

Edit: Grammar issue.

Edited by Toa Smoke Monster
  • Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png