OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

I love how every time Onua breaks something, it's because someone else tells him to, but he gets the blame.

"Bury them, Onua." Onua breaks the bridge, everyone freaks out, and Gali just kind of shuts up after that.

"Hit the lever." Onua smashes the lever, Tahu and Kopaka almost die, and Lewa never mentions it again.

HAHAHA!

Lewa does mention it. A lot.

I mean he's not like "lol close one guys"

I love how every time Onua breaks something, it's because someone else tells him to, but he gets the blame.

"Bury them, Onua." Onua breaks the bridge, everyone freaks out, and Gali just kind of shuts up after that.

"Hit the lever." Onua smashes the lever, Tahu and Kopaka almost die, and Lewa never mentions it again.

HAHAHA!

Lewa does mention it. A lot.

I mean he's not like "lol close one guys"

Nah, he's just a big jerk about it. ;)

• Upvote 1

"Without breaking anything?" *crumbles*

Though it just occurs to me we didn't see the Masters leave before the arena folded in in itself. Perhaps the next video opens with Onua and Pohatman holding the wall up for the others to escape.

• Upvote 1

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Has anyone else noticed that the Toa who only have the gear function in one arm all have said function in their right arm?

The same was true of the one-handed geared Toa in G1. In a society dominated by righties, you don't see a lot of left-handed action figures.

I mean, there were some arguably left-handed figures, but they happened after gears were long gone.

I'm just now realizing that.:P

I found it funny, since I'm a leftie myself. IDK why.

How about having a generic name on the front and the instructions or the back of the box give out a little bit of backstory and the name?

It would take more work (and space) to translate for the many, many markets Lego serves. There's a reason why apart from high cost, limited release sets like Lego Ideas or Direct to Consumer sets, Lego instructions are generally very, very light on text. Not to mention that the backs of the boxes are already half-covered in legal info, leaving precious little space for both information like that AND the supplementary pictures of the set and its functions.

Besides, the backs of the boxes and instructions already direct fans to the Bionicle website for more information—and the website is much easier to update with names and story information (as well as correct, in the event of a typo like we've seen so many of this year).

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Has anyone else noticed that the Toa who only have the gear function in one arm all have said function in their right arm?

The same was true of the one-handed geared Toa in G1. In a society dominated by righties, you don't see a lot of left-handed action figures.

I mean, there were some arguably left-handed figures, but they happened after gears were long gone.

The kulta/ekimu/scorpio combiner has the gear function in the left arm. Jus sayyiinnn

:y::m_o::l::m_o:

"Without breaking anything?" *crumbles*

Though it just occurs to me we didn't see the Masters leave before the arena folded in in itself. Perhaps the next video opens with Onua and Pohatman holding the wall up for the others to escape.

Or maybe that's where we see the scene from the trailer(the one with purple light then an explosion)?

SH0Gxlo.png

Or maybe that's where we see the scene from the trailer(the one with purple light then an explosion)?

I think you've got it.

• Upvote 2

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

The kulta/ekimu/scorpio combiner has the gear function in the left arm. Jus sayyiinnn

Only because it has an even more eye-catching function in the bigger weapon in the right hand. Still seems like a right-handed figure.

Only because it has an even more eye-catching function in the bigger weapon in the right hand. Still seems like a right-handed figure.

Also because its arm sags under the weight of that weapon as it is—there's no way it could actually swing it.

The fact is that the gear function is easily switched. More easily on Pohatu than Gali or Kopaka, simply because he's already dual-wielding. Kopaka and Gali need to have their weapons moved or switched, but it isn't that difficult to have a lefty Toa or two if you really wanted to.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I gotta say, the animations took a turn for the worse in episode 11, but then reversed and skyrocketed into amazing for episode 12. The newest episode WAS FANTASTIC, and I am super hyped for the next (if we are following the pattern, there should be one tomorrow).

Went to the LEGO Store today and saw the Summer sets for the first time. Was impressed with Mask Maker vs Skull Grinder's box! It's sized suitably for the contents of the set. No more Maxilos and Spinax-level oversized boxes. Makes me happy. 

Alas, spent a lot of money today on a new phone so I just bought Skull Basher. Great set; the build was entertaining and his action feature is original, works well, and is all around well designed. Can't wait to get some more summer baddies! :)

-NotS

• Upvote 3

tahubanner.jpg

The fact is that the gear function is easily switched. More easily on Pohatu than Gali or Kopaka, simply because he's already dual-wielding. Kopaka and Gali need to have their weapons moved or switched, but it isn't that difficult to have a lefty Toa or two if you really wanted to.

Oh I know that, but I won't be switching them. I'm fine with the Toa being righties, it was just a little observation I made.

Also, I hate modifying my sets unless it's absolutely necessary.

Just bought Skull Slicer yesterday at my local target. I had previously purchased Skull Basher, but I've got to say that I'm very pelased with how Slicer came out. I love his 4-armed function, and I think he has great playability potential.

• Upvote 1

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

Hey people... So 've been absent for quite quite some time, and have been brought back by the revival of the series.  

I stopped buying Lego altogether in 2008, I was going into high school and it wasn't "cool" to collect toys anymore so I just put a stop to it and just followed the story until mid 2009. After some time, I went back to buying Transformers, something I've done during most of my childhood, and became a collector. 

Now, seeing the Toa, the original six, back again, with modern designs, I have been motivated to make an exception and buy these guys. I'm not really interested in the Skull Villains, only the six Toa. (BTW, got an Onua arriving in the mail, any general opinions on him?)

One thing I find funny is just observing how the community and fanbase is reacting and adapting to Bionicle having a second iteration, especially after I've come from a franchise like Transformers, that has a number of different continuities that have nothing to do with each other and even different interpretations of the same continuity. 

I also now have developed a collector's point of view. I now see the current and past sets from a perspective greater than "I like this guy!" I now can understand opinions and critique that I just didn't have the mindset to understand when I was just a teenager, just someone that bought toys. 

This all has been an enlightening experience. (I know it may sound overly deep for something so trivial) and I really glad to be back here after so much time...  ^_^

Welcome back. Onua is dope. You won't be disappointed. Just curious, now that you're coming back, how have you observed the community/fanbase reacting to G2? What about yourself?

• Upvote 2

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Here's the English script for the new episode from the book, if you just can't wait:

Lewa: Without breaking anything, huh?

Gali: We're trapped!

Pohatu: This is ridiculous. I didn't sign up for this mission!

Tahu: None of us did. We just seemed to fall from the stars.

Tahu: Not knowing our purpose. The villagers were in danger.

Gali: Skull Spiders everywhere.

Pohatu: Under evil Makuta's control.

Onua: Even underground!

Tahu: The Protectors would just keep on fighting for us, to get the Golden Masks.

Onua: They gave us purpose.

Kopaka: It's our duty to save Okoto.

Pohatu: I agree. But we're still stuck.

Lewa: Wait, I feel a breeze. There must be a tunnel behind these rocks!

Kopaka: Breeze?! What are you, the Master of Air?

Onua: Lewa's right. Stand back!

I'm just giggling over the fact that we got a clip show episode in a series of 90 second cartoons. They really had to produce these things fast, didn't they?

• Upvote 3

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Have the Winter sets been phased out of stores yet?

They shouldn't be. Sets usually stay available for at least two release cycles. The Toa should remain in stores until next year's Toa replace them.

• Upvote 1

"What are you, the Master of Air?"

haaaaaaaahaha

Really hope they keep adding in nods and jabs to G1 like this for a while still. I know G2 eventually needs to really develop its own personality, but it helps keep us old G1 fogeys happy. ^_^

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

Episode 13 warms this Turaga's heartlight. It's nice to see the three virtues make their way into the theme without sounding shoehorned or out of place. To defeat the evil menace, they had learned it requires UNITY. They now have a purpose, and are emotionally involved in saving the villages, which is why they call it their DUTY. They were previously forced to go on a quest they felt no compelling reason to go on, and were told it was their DESTINY. 

Edited by Tarvaxx
  • Upvote 2

Episode 13 warms this Turaga's heartlight. It's nice to see the three virtues make their way into the theme without sounding shoehorned or out of place. To defeat the evil menace, they had learned it requires UNITY. They now have a purpose, and are emotionally involved in saving the villages, which is why they call it their DUTY. They were previously forced to go on a quest they felt no compelling reason to go on, and were told it was their DESTINY. 

Where's that anger, hunger, and fear when you need them?

• Upvote 4

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Where's that anger, hunger, and fear when you need them?

Getting their Kratta handed to them by the Toa Nuva.

Edited by MarkSurge9411
  • Upvote 1

I really liked this episode. I know its kind of weird for it to mainly focus on the Toa reflecting on what they've been though so far, when it could've have them escape faster and get the story going. But I still liked it a lot. 

• Upvote 2

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Next LEGO Magazine comes out tomorrow, right?  I hope there's some good Bionicle info in it, and maybe even a new combiner build (or instructions for the iOS Onua-Korgot combiner) if we're lucky.

sqtd1i.png

^               Often lurking, occasionally writing about sets on BS01.                     

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

I really wish the animation was better for these episodes. I do realize that these are for a toy franchise and that they're not gonna have top-grade production values, but everything is so poorly choreographed and janky, and I wish it wasn't so. It doesn't help that the dialogue can be really bad. 

These 90 second shorts aren't a bad way to deliver a story, but for me at least, they aren't that enjoyable to watch. I may give the novel a look since it covers the same story, though.

Edited by Toa Axis

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.- Toa Kopaka

I'm just now realizing that. :P

I found it funny, since I'm a leftie myself. IDK why.

As a leftie myself, I always found this frustrating, particularly give the functions could work on either arm.  <_<

I liked the episode even though the recap seemed a tad bit unnecessary. That was a cool new picture of Makuta though It was nice to see the Toa discussing why they are doing this in the fist place.

I too have noticed this and I concur.  :D

• Upvote 2

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

I think you'd probably just swap out the bone/rib pieces and the Skull mask. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Eh... I think a bit more work than that is called for. Skull Slicer's color scheme and build both convey a skeletal look that we can probably assume wasn't what Slicer looked like when alive. Here's a MOC I made a while back of what Skull Slicer might have looked like, taking inspiration from the set itself as well as Ekimu (since I would assume an arena champion would have access to some of the best armor available at the time).

• Upvote 1

Eh... I think a bit more work than that is called for. Skull Slicer's color scheme and build both convey a skeletal look that we can probably assume wasn't what Slicer looked like when alive. Here's a MOC I made a while back of what Skull Slicer might have looked like, taking inspiration from the set itself as well as Ekimu (since I would assume an arena champion would have access to some of the best armor available at the time).

Personally, I think that the additional arms are the result of being possessed by LoSS. I mean, Skull Spiders have four legs, yet the one that's used as Slicer's mask has none. And thanks to the book, we know these things are (most likely) organic, so I doubt that it was just an unused SS.

Of course, that's just me.

Personally, I think that the additional arms are the result of being possessed by LoSS. I mean, Skull Spiders have four legs, yet the one that's used as Slicer's mask has none. And thanks to the book, we know these things are (most likely) organic, so I doubt that it was just an unused SS.

Of course, that's just me.

That's an interesting thought. But some story material we've seen seems to suggest that the swords Slicer wields are the ones he used in battle when he was alive, and a two-armed fighter would have difficulty wielding three swords at once. I suppose it's possible that one of those swords was simply a backup weapon, but I liked the idea of a four-armed hero.

Regarding the Skull Spider mask, my personal theory is that the legs simply atrophied due to the length of time Slicer has been possessed. I figure at this point, the mask itself is practically vestigial and the Skull Spider's consciousness has replaced Slicer's own—which also helps to explain how Slicer could remove the Skull Spider mask to replace it with Lewa's.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 1

Ooh, that's a scary thought.  The Skull Spiders aren't just latched on, they eventually merge with and overwrite their host, Haunted Mask style.

I like that mechanic.  It raises the stakes a bit more, since not only is it hard to rescue controlled allies, you also have a timer on how quickly you have to do it.

• Upvote 5

OpAXNpl.jpg