OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

re: giant robot: even if LEGO COULD pull off the secret again (though considering people have brought up a giant robot all the time in their speculation, it seems they can't), I'd sure feel cheated if I thought we were being set up for a new mystery just to get a rehashed old one.

Reboots are a chance to do something new, not just retread old ground.

• Upvote 6

re: giant robot: even if LEGO COULD pull off the secret again (though considering people have brought up a giant robot all the time in their speculation, it seems they can't), I'd sure feel cheated if I thought we were being set up for a new mystery just to get a rehashed old one.

Tell that to Marvel and DC.

• Upvote 4

We have been, they just don't listen. ;)

• Upvote 4

We have been, they just don't listen. ;)

Running the risk of getting off topic here, the soft-reboot for Marvel that's coming in a month or so is supposed to revise and replace a lot of the existing characters. DC on the other hand is strait up ditching canon and is instead writing 'stories' for its hard reboot.

Anyhoot, I think it would be pretty awful if there was another giant robot under Okoto lol. 

Edited by Dunkleosteus-San
  • Upvote 3

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

The Prototype Robot, which wasn't fully revealed until 2010. During 2009, it was noticed that weird formations in the desert looked like scattered robot limbs, which is exactly what they turned out to be.

On the other hand, unlike the Mata Nui robot, the prototype robot was seemingly never intended to be a secret to the fans, only to the inhabitants of Bara Magna. The notion that there was another giant robot on Bara Magna was apparent from the very first 2009 teaser we got, which showed a placeholder figure shaped like Toa Inika Matoro staring at a giant Vahki limb.

The mystery for the fans that year wasn't "what are all these structures scattered across the desert?" so much as "WHY are all these giant robot parts scattered across the desert?"

What's this teaser image? Please link, as it sounds dope.

Also, yeah, those robot parts were super obvious. Not concealed at all. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

The Prototype Robot, which wasn't fully revealed until 2010. During 2009, it was noticed that weird formations in the desert looked like scattered robot limbs, which is exactly what they turned out to be.

On the other hand, unlike the Mata Nui robot, the prototype robot was seemingly never intended to be a secret to the fans, only to the inhabitants of Bara Magna. The notion that there was another giant robot on Bara Magna was apparent from the very first 2009 teaser we got, which showed a placeholder figure shaped like Toa Inika Matoro staring at a giant Vahki limb.

The mystery for the fans that year wasn't "what are all these structures scattered across the desert?" so much as "WHY are all these giant robot parts scattered across the desert?"

What's this teaser image? Please link, as it sounds dope.

Also, yeah, those robot parts were super obvious. Not concealed at all. 

I believe Aanchir was referring to this:

3057222395_d483dde1fc.jpg

• Upvote 2

So, um. In the first book, at the end....

After defeating Kulta, Ekimu gives the Toa Golden Mask, though it is not specified if these are their old Golden Masks repaired, or brand new Golden Masks. And, I have heard that the 2016 Toa sets will have new masks, this is not unlike how it was back in G1, so i'm not surprised by this, but given the fact that it didn't specify as to if they were new masks or not, I think that LEGO is hinting at new masks for 2016.

Edited by Toa Imrukii

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

So, um. In the first book, at the end....

After defeating Kulta, Ekimu gives the Toa Golden Mask, though it is not specified if these are their old Golden Masks repaired, or brand new Golden Masks. And, I have heard that the 2016 Toa sets will have new masks, this is not unlike how it was back in G1, so i'm not surprised by this, but given the fact that it didn't specify as to if they were new masks or not, I think that LEGO is hinting at new masks for 2016.

We haven't heard anything definite about the 2016 sets besides their names. There was a person on another site claiming to "leak" information about the new sets, but it was later revealed that he was making it all up. Honestly, though, this part of the book led me to wonder what we might expect as well.

Perhaps in next year's sets, instead of including a colored mask by default and a gold mask as an obtainable "treasure", they'll include the gold masks by default and another type of mask as an obtainable "treasure"? But it's hard to say how LEGO could make any other mask seem more desirable in a role-play situation than a gold one. Obviously they could come up with any excuse they wanted in the story, but there's gotta be a way to make that apparent in the sets themselves so kids who don't know the story will still understand the expected play pattern.

• Upvote 5

Maybe they will just include normal masks (albeit different ones from the Winter Wave) and the "expected play pattern" will be something completely different. 

Having different masks from this year's wave strikes me as a smart move. It's an incentive for collectors to pony up for the next wave as opposed to sitting it out since they already have a set of Toa. (Like I probably will, heh.)

• Upvote 3

I think it's unlikely that an upgraded wave of Toa would drop below the three-masks-per-set level, otherwise people who bought the old wave may see the new wave as worse value and not buy it.

My guess would be that the Toa would keep the same Golden Masks, but with something like tribal printing to make them new-ish. (Thinking how few new molds Year One was allowed.)

The included second and third mask could form part of a mini creature that comes with the set (think Fikou), which the Toa have to tame or dismember or whatever. (This is where I would spend the new molds, one per mini creature, rather than repeating the "clone collectable" thing that the Skull Spiders had going.)

The creature masks could then be designed to attach to the Toa on certain parts of their armour, at the same time as their Golden Mask, to give them a creature-themed power-up.

Because what beats wearing one mask? Wearing three masks. ;)

• Upvote 2
:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

I think it's unlikely that an upgraded wave of Toa would drop below the three-masks-per-set level, otherwise people who bought the old wave may see the new wave as worse value and not buy it.

My guess would be that the Toa would keep the same Golden Masks, but with something like tribal printing to make them new-ish. (Thinking how few new molds Year One was allowed.)

The included second and third mask could form part of a mini creature that comes with the set (think Fikou), which the Toa have to tame or dismember or whatever. (This is where I would spend the new molds, one per mini creature, rather than repeating the "clone collectable" thing that the Skull Spiders had going.)

The creature masks could then be designed to attach to the Toa on certain parts of their armour, at the same time as their Golden Mask, to give them a creature-themed power-up.

Because what beats wearing one mask? Wearing three masks. ;)

Muaka loves your advice.

• Upvote 2

http://www.lego.com/en-us/bionicle/story/episode-15

It took the Toa Nuva 8 years, but these new heroes? They don't even need 1.

Something about this one was powerful for me. There's a sense of finality, accomplishment - its rewarding to see Ekimu revived after we saw his fate back in last October. The emotional power of the scene isn't even touched upon in Windham's adaption.

• Upvote 3

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Ekimu at the end there was so cringe inducing, UGH.

I don't see it, but okay. In fact, I thought Kopaka was the cringeworthy one. :P

This.

8688496.png?547

The way he just rose up and said what he said was just UUUGGGHH. I was also at school when I saw the episode so, given the already well known cringieness to the animations, plus the social awkwardness around the new computer teacher, not knowing what she would think it wasn't a good mix.

pure_muscle.png

I don't see it, but okay. In fact, I thought Kopaka was the cringeworthy one. :P

This.

8688496.png?547

The way he just rose up and said what he said was just UUUGGGHH. I was also at school when I saw the episode so, given the already well known cringieness to the animations, plus the social awkwardness around the new computer teacher, not knowing what she would think it wasn't a good mix.

Well I mean... isn't that your fault then? You could have just waited until you got home rather than risking or even caring about social ranks among your peers and what-not. I thought it was fine, the cringiness wasn't even as bad as it was in past episodes. It was just in the middle. :P

I will say that the episodes are best viewed all together back to back. I'd encrourage everyone to watch all of them side to side once they're all out. I'd even recommend not watching them until they're all released if you have that level of patience. 

Edited by Tarvaxx
  • Upvote 1

This.

8688496.png?547

Well I mean... isn't that your fault then? You could have just waited until you got home rather than risking or even caring about social ranks among your peers and what-not. I thought it was fine, the cringiness wasn't even as bad as it was in past episodes. It was just in the middle. :P

I will say that the episodes are best viewed all together back to back. I'd encrourage everyone to watch all of them side to side once they're all out. I'd even recommend not watching them until they're all released if you have that level of patience. 

They do allow me to view and do stuff on the computers before the lesson starts, Pus the other kids in the class don't judge me, nor have they ever. It's a new teacher is all and I was a bit worried.

It wasn't my "fault" that that I felt like that, It's a normal human emotion to feel awkward around someone you really don't know all too well yet.

pure_muscle.png

They do allow me to view and do stuff on the computers before the lesson starts, Pus the other kids in the class don't judge me, nor have they ever. It's a new teacher is all and I was a bit worried.

It wasn't my "fault" that that I felt like that, It's a normal human emotion to feel awkward around someone you really don't know all too well yet.

Gettin' off topic. Anyways, even for one of these clips, it felt rushed.

• Upvote 4

To be honest, I'd be perfectly fine with the GSR coming back. What else could top that?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

To be honest, I'd be perfectly fine with the GSR coming back. What else could top that?

What made the Great Spirit Robot so impressive was how much of a surprise it was and yet how perfectly it fit with all the hints we'd seen so far. If it were brought back in G2 it would not be nearly as impressive because the creators couldn't really drop any meaningful hints without ruining the surprise for anybody familiar with the old story.

There are ways that a giant robot could still play a role in G2 Bionicle, but using it for the exact same twist could never be anywhere near as impressive as it was the first time. If G2 is going to have any big twist, better to make it something new and different.

Anyway, I didn't think there was anything cringeworthy about Ekimu's line or the way he delivered it. He said... about what I'd expect him to say. Even in his sleep he seemed to know the Toa were coming, judging from the Prophecy of Heroes and his mental link to the Golden Masks of Power.

• Upvote 6

I got a question about Bionicle's official reveal.

I have heard from a few bonkle fans that the reboot was originally going to be revealed at SDCC 2014, but the leaked information that got out forced Lego to move the reveal to the smaller NYCC.

Is this true in any way?

It sounds not only untrue, but impossible. The first leaks last year were less than a month before SDCC. Part of the reason LEGO hates leaks is that they put so much effort into their reveal plans and can't change them on such short notice. Leaks undercut those official plans since the reveal will no longer come as such a surprise to people.

If LEGO had the opportunity to change their reveal plans in response to a leak, the last thing they'd do is delay the official reveal longer and create an opportunity for the hype to diminish more (not to mention create an opportunity for more leaks in advance of the official reveal.

Also, the LEGO Group's reveal plans included distributing tickets to NYCC and their invite-only panel and building event via fansites, starting over 30 days before NYCC. If they had planned to do the reveal at SDCC, wouldn't they have already announced a similar giveaway by the time the leaks broke? In which case it would have been impossible to cancel those plans.

Finally, NYCC last year was actually larger attendance-wise than SDCC, so it's sort of a moot point. It would not have made a bigger splash at SDCC either way.

• Upvote 4

I got a question about Bionicle's official reveal.

I have heard from a few bonkle fans that the reboot was originally going to be revealed at SDCC 2014, but the leaked information that got out forced Lego to move the reveal to the smaller NYCC.

Is this true in any way?

It sounds not only untrue, but impossible. The first leaks last year were less than a month before SDCC. Part of the reason LEGO hates leaks is that they put so much effort into their reveal plans and can't change them on such short notice. Leaks undercut those official plans since the reveal will no longer come as such a surprise to people.

If LEGO had the opportunity to change their reveal plans in response to a leak, the last thing they'd do is delay the official reveal longer and create an opportunity for the hype to diminish more (not to mention create an opportunity for more leaks in advance of the official reveal.

Also, the LEGO Group's reveal plans included distributing tickets to NYCC and their invite-only panel and building event via fansites, starting over 30 days before NYCC. If they had planned to do the reveal at SDCC, wouldn't they have already announced a similar giveaway by the time the leaks broke? In which case it would have been impossible to cancel those plans.

Finally, NYCC last year was actually larger attendance-wise than SDCC, so it's sort of a moot point. It would not have made a bigger splash at SDCC either way.

Also, according to BZP's own DeeVee on Eurobricks, in a discussion about what we might see at this year's NYCC just yesterday:

Leaks of official sets definitely happened early last year, but the NYCC event was originally planned to be the reveal of the entire new line. Not just as in "here are the new sets," but as in "BIONICLE is coming back and you didn't know until now!!" But all the leaks and all the URL guessing and the early community reveals led them to just straight up admit it was coming back early. But the NYCC event was too far planned to backpedal and plan for more of another theme as well, so it went ahead as a full BIONICLE booth. While they might have the next wave on display, considering, again, the release of Star Wars this December, don't be surprised if the booth is all Star Wars all the time.

In other words, Lego didn't delay the announcement of Bionicle's return because of the leaks... it advanced it.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

You mean leaks aren't terrible?

Heresy. 

Heresy. 

I mean, they're still not necessarily a good thing—by creating hype early, they can cause it to peter out well before release (not to mention redirecting the hype that would otherwise surround current products). And in the case of pictorial leaks, they can give a false impression of the sets and create a negative dialogue about sets based solely on unfinished designs that fans weren't supposed to see in the first place.

But the idea that Lego would actually DELAY their set reveals because of leaks just doesn't make any sense. What would a move like that actually accomplish, other than increasing the demand for further leaks and allowing those leaks (rather than Lego's official reveal) to shape the narrative around the sets? The idea that Lego would sabotage their own business interests just to spite their fans is ridiculous, and I'm wondering where these sorts of rumors are even coming from, since they clearly have no basis in fact.

• Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

On a totally different note: When does LEGO usually start showing off their winter wave sets?

Heresy. 

I mean, they kind of are? I don't think "spoiling the surprise, forcing them to reveal something earlier" is actually a good thing. Can you imagine how great the NYCC reveal would have been if we didn't have leaks? Seeing all the new sets, the announcement itself in the first place, after 4 years, all at once...I think it would have been really amazing.

Instead leaks had already given it away months before and Lego kinda had to whip out a smaller "ok so i guess this is happening" announcement before NYCC, which left that as sort of a footnote instead of a huge impactful event. I mean it was still pretty great, especially for those that managed to go, but it was still not the best case scenario.

AXKP5KC.png

On a totally different note: When does LEGO usually start showing off their winter wave sets?

Around October, but that was for the Bionicle 2015 sets, so IDK. Although leaks come from early September to late November. However there's no doubt that Lego will have beefed up security now.

Speaking of Ekimu, and for fear of repeating what has already been stated...

21475844082_761af42cc8_c.jpg

Those of you who are quite observant may have noticed something a bit off about Ekimu's in-game model in  BIONICLE: Mask of Creation. For those who haven't, take a look at his shoulders and arms. Ekimu has the same build as Narmoto, the Protector of Fire! The model uses 5M hinge bones and a 5M shell in trans light blue, which are versions of those parts which we do not have IRL. But, we can still build a close approximation - which I have done!

• Upvote 2

Depends on the theme. LEGO has already shown two January 2016 sets (or, I guess, one and a half) at San Diego Comic Con back in July: the Batmobile from Batman v. Superman and the First Order Stormtrooper buildable figure from Star Wars: The Force Awakens. We can probably expect to see more upcoming sets at New York Comic Con in October, but whether that will include any of the new Bionicle sets is anyone's guess.

Last year, LEGO's entire New York Comic Con presence was devoted to Bionicle, but this was not usual so we can't really assume that they will reveal as many new Bionicle sets this year as they did last year, or that they will focus their booth and all their events and exclusives on one particular theme. It's possible that their presence this year will cover a broader range of themes like their San Diego Comic Con presence generally does.

Outside of Comic Con events, official teasers for the upcoming year's sets often begin to show up in the November–December issue of LEGO Club Magazine, though these teasers do not always include clear set pictures.

• Upvote 1

apology for poor english

where were you when Black Six got rext to maximum levels?

I was sat at home leaking BIONICLE 2016 and CM4sci ring

"Black Six is rekt"

'no'

Whatchu talkin' 'bout Twist? Seriously though. I don't get it. XD

( Hardtry to nospeak leaktales. Should be lipsecret here in treehome)

Edited by Tarvaxx
  • Upvote 2

Black Six posted the leaked set names of 2016 and the fans kept telling him he was breaking his own rule. He ignored us and on the next day, he was forced to take down the link when we had told him so a day ago.

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.